PDA

View Full Version : Trust in a coach.

Fuzzy
06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
As some of you may know, I have recently made a very smooth transition into the world of Olympic weightlifting. While the chains and bands beckon, and my chest yearns for a solid bench pounding, i have no choice but to do exactly what my coach says.

Wich got me thinking more the other day....

So there I was, sitting, defeated, after another round of squats, and he comes sits down and says 'do some snatches'

I look at him bewildered, 'snatch? power? fulls? what weight, how many sets, reps?'

I realised in my entire time there there was not one weight I did not do under his command. and the one occasion I asked to up the weight a tiny bit I nearly cracked my skull open! Its scary, he knows exactly what I can do.

He then says 'just do some heavy snatches'

One again, the confusion hit me like a tonne of bricks, I had no idea what to do. In 6 weeks I have come to not even doubt a thing he says. I ordered a pair of straps through him, I aksed 'how much?', he said '50' this would be insanley expensive for straps (turned out to be 15) bit not for once did I ever not beleive him. I simply ndded and walked away, 'they are only 15 you idiot!'

Smetimes Ill do a really good set, Ill be taking a break in between lifts, and hell just give me a look... not a bad look, but not a good look either. Just a look that makes me lift better.

All it takes is for him to simply nod and smile, or frown and hake his head, that makes sooo much difference to me... and this is 6 weeks with him. If Ive ever been doubtful, just the nod, or the smile, thats all it takes to clear doubt in my head.

Wich kinda made me stop and think, in 6 weeks this happens... in 5 years on the greatest and most important platform of all. One nod from this man could mean the difference between gold and failure.

This is messing with my head!

Jinkies
06-02-2007, 04:44 AM
Soak it up while you can, hopefully we can see some new prs

BearD
06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey Fuzzy, what are your c&j and snatch at right now? Any recent PR's to sharE?

Fuzzy
06-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Nothing major.

Im confident of 75kg snatch and 100kg clean and jerk for my first comp, but its all technique.... def got the raw strength.

vrizzle
06-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Hopefully I'll get the American version of what you're getting, when I apply to the OTC. That's if I'm in the top 25 ranked Juniors.

vrizzle
06-02-2007, 11:40 AM
o yea n good luck w/ your training. Maybe in a few years I'll see you at Worlds. That's a far-fetched dream for me, though, reality for you.

Bob
06-02-2007, 07:11 PM
well besides the straps....
I would definitely stay with the program & coach... if he has you that intuned... then keep with it.

And you never really said that the coach didn't like questions...
Why not ask him a few things... like:
Why do your straps cost so much?
How do you know when I need to go heavy?
I might wanna be a coach someday, can you teach how to know what you know?
I really love powerlifting coach, is there anyway I could mix in some heavy squatting, DLs & BPs?
Have you seen Travis Mash coach? He is world class in both PL'ing and OL'ing... and now he is aiming for the US Olympic Bobsled team.. how can I do PL, OL, and still make the Australian Olympic Rowing team?

GL dude... and the #1 thing to remember is that you are ONLY 14... NOTHING you do (besides doing nothing), is going to hurt you in any of these competitive dreams of yours.

stepto180
06-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I remember the days of blind faith and I remeber the days of compelete faith in my coach when I did have some knowledge.....I miss those days

good luck fuzzy soak up all the knowledge you can while you got some one good behind ya

Fuzzy
06-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks bear!

Every session I have a designated 20 minutes alone in the office to ask him anything and everything. THis might not be exaclty training related, Ive discussed his coaching, I leave every training more knowledgeable yet my trust in him rises even more.

We touched on a litte plan....

In a few years were going to enter me in a powerlfiting comp and break some dead and squat records, this should be good.

Right now his main concern is teaching me how to lift and fixing my shoulders and posture, once thats taken care of, then well go to town.

As for rowing, its looking more and more unlikely... :(