PDA

View Full Version : Eating a lot but not gaining weight

amarkham
06-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure if there's any other threads out there like this but I'll post my problem anyway.

I'm currently 148 lbs., 5"11. About 2 weeks ago I started trying to bulk up, eating a lot more than I had been before. I also bought a Mega Mass Protein Shake and was directed to take 600 calories (+4.5g protein) worth before a workout and 300 (1.5g protein) after (which I did, 4 times a week, only about 400 calories worth total on the days I didn't work out). My problem is that for the past 2 weeks I have been eating on average A LOT more than I previously did (added about 600 calories to my diet, 1800 -> 2400) but I'm not gaining any weight. I work-out 4 times a week and I'd say I have a pretty low metabolism. I eat basically whatever I can get my hands on, mostly "dirty" stuff but I try to get in some fruit and vegetables whenever I can. I'm not sure what I should do, maybe it's just my metabolism but adding that many calories a day should affect my weight even just a bit. Any suggestions would be great.

DARKKNIGHT
06-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Calm down it's only been two weeks, give it time and dedication you will see results, eat like a animal.

amarkham
06-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Alright, sounds good, I just thought after 2 weeks of a big increase I'd see at least some improvement.

Herandi
06-02-2007, 03:54 PM
consistency is the key. It's good that you're tracking your calories, if you don't see results in a few months time then start worrying. Do you do any cardio? because too much cardio could be limiting your gains

DARKKNIGHT
06-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Dedication and determination, you can do it.

amarkham
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
nah barely no intense cardio

Mr. D
06-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure if there's any other threads out there like this but I'll post my problem anyway.

I'm currently 148 lbs., 5"11. About 2 weeks ago I started trying to bulk up, eating a lot more than I had been before. I also bought a Mega Mass Protein Shake and was directed to take 600 calories (+4.5g protein) worth before a workout and 300 (1.5g protein) after (which I did, 4 times a week, only about 400 calories worth total on the days I didn't work out). My problem is that for the past 2 weeks I have been eating on average A LOT more than I previously did (added about 600 calories to my diet, 1800 -> 2400) but I'm not gaining any weight. I work-out 4 times a week and I'd say I have a pretty low metabolism. I eat basically whatever I can get my hands on, mostly "dirty" stuff but I try to get in some fruit and vegetables whenever I can. I'm not sure what I should do, maybe it's just my metabolism but adding that many calories a day should affect my weight even just a bit. Any suggestions would be great.

I am confused as to what the bolded portion means.

Also if after a few more weeks you still arent gaining, add another 200 cals.

what do your macros look like?

amarkham
06-02-2007, 04:35 PM
oh the bold just meant i was told to take 3 scoops of the mass gain stuff before which equaled 600 cals and 4.5g of protein and then 1.5 scoops after. macros are like: i eat a bowl of whole cereal 3-4 mornings a week, some vegetables but probably far from enough, barely any beans, barely any soup, and some fruit.

Mr. D
06-02-2007, 04:51 PM
oh the bold just meant i was told to take 3 scoops of the mass gain stuff before which equaled 600 cals and 4.5g of protein and then 1.5 scoops after. macros are like: i eat a bowl of whole cereal 3-4 mornings a week, some vegetables but probably far from enough, barely any beans, barely any soup, and some fruit.

out of 600 cals, only 4.5g of protein?

is 4.5 the number of scoops or amount of protein?

Macros = # of grams of carbs,fat,protein

Start tracking on www.fitday.com so you get a true sense of how much you are REALLY eating. Lots of people overestimate what they are eating when trying to gain weight, conversely they underestimate what they eat when trying to lose weight.

KoolDrew
06-02-2007, 04:52 PM
By macros he meant like how much fat, protein, and carbs you consume all together.

Damn, he beat me to it. :p

amarkham
06-02-2007, 05:00 PM
ya, thats wierd, i thought it was a lot more protein than that but apparently its only 4.5g for the 600 cal intake (and 100g carbs). i couldnt tell you the fat/protein/carbs im taking in. i eat a fair share of pasta and i try to eat a lot of somewhat fatty things, pizza, meats, eggs, various snacks. i also have a whey mix with mostly protein in it, i didnt realize that the mass gainer only have 4.5g of protein. could i do my 3 scoops of mass gain before a workout and then do a shake with the whey mix with protein in it (its around 40-50g per serving).

tdotteg
06-02-2007, 05:05 PM
what the eff?! ditch whatever that masspowdershakebuilder you're taking and EAT REAL FOOD.

better yet, read this http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565 .

amarkham
06-02-2007, 05:07 PM
oh ya? i thought it would be helpful considering its a 900 calorie boost in between meals, which is a probably a lot more than I could fit in me otherwise. also, for that fitday online manager thing, it says a % total next to fat, carbs, protein. wut % range am i aiming for?

FreeRider
06-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Amarkham,

Check out that link that tdotteg posted. Very useful information. You are roughly the same size as me give or take a little. You say you have a low metabolism. Do you mean you find it easy to gain weight, or do you find it hard to gain weight?
I have been stuck at 140lbs (5' 11") for the last year or so. Once I finally started eating right I am noticing that I am FINALLY putting on some poundage! You say you eat about 2000 cal / day. I would track what you eat on fitday for a week (like others have said), then up it 10% or 20% from there.
Stay away from weight gainers and other witchcraft of that sort. Eat whole foods. Also dont get discouraged if you dont gain. 2000cal is pretty low...to put it into perspective I slam back 4000cal / day and am slowly gaining.

amarkham
06-03-2007, 11:46 AM
damn thats a lot of cals. thanks for the advice. i have low metabolism as in a very fast metabolism, its hard for me to gain weight. protein shakes after a workout is fine though? if i put a banana/yogurt or somethin in it

chefdouglas
06-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah, 2000 calories is very low. That would be a healthy amount for an average female (I'm assuming your not a female). If you're trying to put on weight, I would suggest boosting up to around 4000 cals like FreeRider said. I, too, have a metabolism like a racehorse, and I've kept a consistent 3500-4000 kcalorie diet since I was a teenager and found it really hard to break 155 lbs. I would buy some Opticen or Nitrean shake mix, and definetely start loading on creatine asap. It will help, and don't even look at the scale. Just keep doin what you're doing and don't doubt that you'll get bigger. Also, make sure you're doing a shake at night before bed, especially on the days you train.

KingWilder
06-03-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm cutting on 2000 calories

track on fitday, I'm sure you need to be eating more

cphafner
06-03-2007, 12:39 PM
If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough. It's pretty simple. Take it from someone that needs to eat over 4000+ calories to maintain weight @180.,

FreeRider
06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeh man!
Save your money from weight gainers and put it towards peanuts! A cup of that will net you some nice healthy fats and 800+ calories! I also agree with the let the mirror be the judge before the scale. Weighing in evey week or so is fine...but mirrors never need calibrating.:thumbup:

Eat some whey if you wanna after a workout...I dont really use whey to often as I get my recommended intakes from whole foods mostly..but a little fast acting protein (whey) after a workout is a fine idea.

smalls
06-04-2007, 07:40 PM
If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough. It's pretty simple. Take it from someone that needs to eat over 4000+ calories to maintain weight @180.,

Take this advice. You are obviously not eating enough calories. VERY few people could consistently gain weight on 2400 cals a day. It really is as simple as eating more.

bulletpr00f
06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
you need calories

no cardio? why?
"because im not fat"

start doing some cardio in the mornings....you'll get hungry as hell and eat more!

Built
06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
My MAINTENANCE is just under 2400. Make olive oil and natural peanut butter your friends.

amarkham
06-06-2007, 09:59 AM
K, well I've started upping my calories by a lot and using that FitDay thing and I can already notice (a miniscule) difference. How many pounds can someone gain per week before it becomes unhealthy/ a bad idea. Because I am trying to gain weight fast, and I understand that trying to gain too much poundage per week will make me put on some fat, but can I say, go hard for a month and then take it easy and do some cardio to get that fat into muscle, while keeping my weight constant? Also, bulletproof, (rookie question): if I'm trying to gain a lot of weight, considering my very fast metabolism, won't doing a lot of cardio actually hurt my weight gaining? How much cardio should I do before I start losing the weight I gain?