PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Question

Allie
02-27-2002, 06:12 PM
OK so I have been looking for ways to eat more protein and well I just don't like protein in general. I'm a really picky eater, and I know I am. So the other day I decided to re-try tuna YUCK I really know why I don't eat the stuff. But today I found something and was wondering if I should try it....

Also, try this discovery: if you boil tuna for 2 minutes in water, it loses about 80-90% of that nasty tuna taste! Just don't eat it hot. Pour cool water over it and drain it so that it is cool and dry and it is almost tasteless!

I'm really scared to try this, what do you all think?

GeneticallyGifted
02-27-2002, 06:25 PM
Why don't you eat chicken breast, steak, meat loaf, egg whites, salmon, turkey...what have you. Why not just take a Meal Replacement or Protein Shake. But if you wanna put yourself through personal hell thats cool too.

jus' my opinion...

Allie
02-27-2002, 06:31 PM
I only eat turkey and chicken, but I just started eating red meat.

I don't eat any seafood, fish, shrimp, anything
I don't touch pork
I don't do protein shakes, something that is a powder and you mix with water as a source of protein just doesn't fly in my book. Plus I actually know what that **** is, sometimes I wish I was an uneducated consumer like th res of the world

Like I said I'm a very picky eater, and I am stubborn too, and I know it. I allready broadened my horizons by eating red meat. Trust me red meat once a week is a miracle for me.

So I figure maybe tuna has potential down the road sometime

Alex.V
02-27-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Allie

Plus I actually know what that **** is,

Please, do tell.

Cackerot69
02-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I'm curious as well.

Allie
02-27-2002, 06:54 PM
AS long as it doesn't turn into another you ruined that food for me thing like the pepperoni deal.

Obviously there are different types of protein powders, but I was thing whey protein. It's a by-product from cheese making. Mainly from when they seperate the curds into cheesecloth, they squeeze out a watery type substance. This excess fluid is then processed into the powder you buy.

GeneticallyGifted
02-27-2002, 06:54 PM
Well it looks like you are.....whats that they say, oh yes....up sh*t creek!!!

As a lifter you gotta do things that are best for your body. If there nutrients is what you need then you have to get them from somewhere...to bad you don't like the taste or what it looks like. You get it down and its over.

thats my opinion...

Alex.V
02-27-2002, 06:55 PM

Obviously there are different types of protein powders, but I was thing whey protein. It's a by-product from cheese making. Mainly from when they seperate the curds, the watery type excess is then processed.

Yes, they say as much in any brochure on protein powders. lol.

Allie
02-27-2002, 07:00 PM
Not that I read those, but my knowledge on the subject comes staright from the farm, and being somewhat associated with the dairy industry.

I feel like your trying to point something out, so what is it :confused:

Alex.V
02-27-2002, 07:49 PM
No, not trying to point anything out. I thought maybe there was something awful that you knew about whey. While I would wager most consumers don't know exactly what it's from, they know it's made from milk. I don't see anything particularly disgusting about whey itself, neither do the companies, who do nothing to hide the fact that whey used to be a waste product.

I suppose curdled, aged, sometime mold-riddled milk (cheese), is better than isolated protein from the part that's NOT curdled. ;)

Allie
02-27-2002, 09:06 PM
OK so I have been looking for ways to eat more protein and well I just don't like protein in general. I'm a really picky eater, and I know I am. So the other day I decided to re-try tuna YUCK I really know why I don't eat the stuff. But today I found something and was wondering if I should try it....

Also, try this discovery: if you boil tuna for 2 minutes in water, it loses about 80-90% of that nasty tuna taste! Just don't eat it hot. Pour cool water over it and drain it so that it is cool and dry and it is almost tasteless!

I'm really scared to try this, what do you all think?

tuttut Can we get back on track here?

Qea
02-27-2002, 10:49 PM
If you are a picky eater, and you don't like tuna, why eat it?

There are other protein alternatives just as good too

However, if u really do want to eat it, i know a couple ways to rid it somewhat of its tuna-ish flavour

1. mix in fat-free mayo (lots) and garlic powder and pepper too.
2. stir-fry it with sesame oil, chopped garlic and soya sauce

hmm

garlic cures all apparently

;)

Slim Schaedle
02-28-2002, 07:58 AM
I think tuna really is an acquired taste...like coffee and beer. Took me a while to put up with it too. Best mix imo is with mayo and pickle relish

mr_hand
02-28-2002, 08:57 AM
Wouldnt that be a mixture of tuna and tartar sauce?
Doesnt mayo + relish = tartar???
And tartar is used on fish products. Hmmh. Another meaningless post for me. Thank you.

Slim Schaedle
02-28-2002, 09:02 AM
doesn't taste like tarter sauce to me
( i do mean fat free or low fat mayo ...anyway)
Why would it matter if tartar sauce is commonly used on fish?

body
02-28-2002, 11:24 AM
I make tuna burgers sometimes

1 tin of drianed tuna.
1 egg (beaten)
1 bottle top of olive oil.
1 chopped onion.
mix together to evenly mixed..

add garlic, herbs, chillies, pepper to your prefernce. maybe mix in tomato sauce before cooking as well to give tomato and tuna burger.

Then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

someitmes put in between two slices of bread with mayo as well.

though you could boil the tuna first to remove tuna flavour. as if you do not drian it well, when cooking the brine taste stronger.

Allie
02-28-2002, 01:04 PM
I'm going home tomorrow for break, so I will try it and let you all know what happens.

Worst come to worst the dog can eat it LOL

TreeTrunks
02-28-2002, 01:12 PM
Thats really not that gross how they make protein powder. I mean they add bacteria to milk to pasturize it, I don't know how the heathens in europe cure milk heheheh. I find that bacteria and parasites freak me out. I get freaked out when I think of all the bacteria that lives on out bodies and I had a horrible experiance with ticks once.

Whats with the strict dietaty rules? I guess you could eat soy beans.

Shocker
03-01-2002, 04:21 AM
Why dont you try spending a bit more money and buy yourself some fresh salmon or other seafood?

I only eat tuna because in the volume that it is eaten, to eat a more expensive fish would cost me an absolute fortune.

(hehe, as it is I spend half my disposable income on food and gym fees) :(

Also you dont have to eat whey protein, there are heaps of other supplements available on the market, even you might like to try taking amino acids individually. Just look for the ones that taste nice, they do exist.

Those protien bars are sometimes okay - just like a rancid Mars Bar :) yummo

Shocker
03-01-2002, 04:37 AM
japanese food is the bomb - can you handle that ?

Dont be so picky. I have observed that, through times that have ranged from me being really poor to being extremely well-off financially, that my tastes would vary according to my habits ad not the other way around, i.e. if I was forced to eat rice and tomato sauce for 6 weeks I would just learn to enjoy it - and after a while you inevitibly do.

That's why they call it an "aqcuired" taste. Like eating mushrooms I hated when I was a kid but my mother forced me to eat them and when I became a teenager, I learned to eat things not for the taste but for what my body was getting from the food.

The more you know about nutrition, the more you focus on the value of certain foods over others and I personally will aim to only eat the best foods. Like sausages for example, are not something that I regard to be "quality" meat. An olive is good for you whilst a piece of candy is harmful to you.

Anyway, tuna is good for you, it's the chicken of the sea !!! bkork!