PDA

View Full Version : Bumper plates

pulpmelon
06-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Does anyone use these plates? They seem quite cheap and i'm Just looking to find out if they can take the abuse. Thanks

pulpmelon
06-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah, wouldnt let me post the link till my counter hit 10.
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/__12_product_info3_asp5_5_prdID4_63207_prdName0_15_quot;Apollo_USA0_43_quot;_Deluxe_Rubber%2FChrome_ Olympic_Plates0_5_prtID5_100613.html

Sleepy Guy
06-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Cheapest I found was $1300 CAD for a set of yorks with the bar, 160kg set.

pulpmelon
06-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Think I'll bust out on a set of 10's to see if theyre any good.
I'm guessing the york's are solid compounded rubber for that price.

Fuzzy
06-09-2007, 06:52 PM
I dont own any myself but my training centre has a few hundered of them

These things are good fun to drop. We sometimes muck around before training and see who can hit throw the weight and get the most bounce.

Sleepy Guy
06-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Nice to see you are putting them to good use Fuzzy. What is solid compound? If you have any information on bumper plates I sure could use it. I am going to buy a set soon I think.

Race Bannon
06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Those bumpers look exactly like the garbage "bumpers" gill athletics sells. They actually metal disks with a decent layer of rubber around them (they are not like rubber coated plates), still this doesn't make them bumper plates. Shortly after about 1 year of use mine all have cracks and are warped.

JHarris
06-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Those bumpers look exactly like the garbage "bumpers" gill athletics sells. They actually metal disks with a decent layer of rubber around them (they are not like rubber coated plates), still this doesn't make them bumper plates. Shortly after about 1 year of use mine all have cracks and are warped.

I'm not sure what you mean by them not being "bumper", but that's how the majority of bumper plates are made. Check out the Eleiko international competition disks and training disks - they are all a disk of metal surrounded by rubber.

Yes, these things do eventually crack, though I have not seen warping as much. Even so, they last a while especially if only one or two people are using them. The eleiko and werksan ones in the different gyms I've been in have lasted for years. Also, you really need them to practice the Olympic lifts in any serious way.

Jay

Fuzzy
06-10-2007, 06:29 PM
They will crack but it will take a fair bit of abuse,

(note the word abuse, you will not be able to resist once you find out how high these things can bounce)

ut even when they crack they will still be perfectaly usuable for quite a while. You cant lose with bumpers

pulpmelon
06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Ive had a loaded bar bounce upto waist hight. I think Id have my membership card shoved up my ass if I started pinging discs about the place!

Race Bannon
06-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by them not being "bumper", but that's how the majority of bumper plates are made. Check out the Eleiko international competition disks and training disks - they are all a disk of metal surrounded by rubber.

Yes, these things do eventually crack, though I have not seen warping as much. Even so, they last a while especially if only one or two people are using them. The eleiko and werksan ones in the different gyms I've been in have lasted for years. Also, you really need them to practice the Olympic lifts in any serious way.

Jay

Im not talking about the hub, Im talking about a ~15 inch metal plate inside the rubber.

Attached is a picture. These plates look a whole lot like the above mentioned plates. Actually, they simulate a rubber bumper pretty well until they warp and crack, in the way they bounce.

muscleup
06-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, wouldnt let me post the link till my counter hit 10.
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/__12_product_info3_asp5_5_prdID4_63207_prdName0_15_quot;Apollo_USA0_43_quot;_Deluxe_Rubber%2FChrome_ Olympic_Plates0_5_prtID5_100613.html

^ Those are not bumper plates. Those are just regular plates with a rubber coating around them.

Solid Rubber Bumper Plates are what you should be looking for. Google 'em.

JHarris
06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Im not talking about the hub, Im talking about a ~15 inch metal plate inside the rubber.

Attached is a picture. These plates look a whole lot like the above mentioned plates. Actually, they simulate a rubber bumper pretty well until they warp and crack, in the way they bounce.

Ooh.. I see what you mean. Yeah, those don't look so good. ;) I've seen a few real bumper plates split open completely before and they are literally a steel wheel at the center with A LOT of rubber outside. (Wheel maybe accounting for a third of the entire radius on 25kg plates.)

Hephaestus
06-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Try bfs.com. I don't like alot of the products they sell like hex bars for deadlift, they do have nice bumpers. My school weightroom has them and they function quite well. They are solid rubber also.