PDA

View Full Version : Lay you to waste

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

TheLion
06-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Had to change this post. I was such an idiot. Still an idiot, but thank Christ not as much as I was.

I'm just a guy getting stronger while trying to stay in decent shape.

TheLion
06-04-2007, 12:32 AM
I start tomorrow using some random workout. Will work on a diet soon. We'll see what happens.

Built
06-04-2007, 12:52 AM
WBB1 - (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25) there's your workout split

www.fitday.com for a week - post up your average, and we'll help you find your diet.

Welcome to journaling. :)

TheLion
06-04-2007, 05:26 AM
thanks a lot built. i've been looking at some of your stuff up here. you seem to be very knowledgable. thats actually the workout that i found and was going to use. also, is there a good time during the day for me to lift? i'm at work from 8-10 am and 12-2pm, and then i'm pretty much free. just wondering

jed
06-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Its a personal preference. If you feel like you can lift better in the morning, then go for it, or vice versa. Quite a view of the future you have there, I hope you acheive it. Anything can be done with enough hard work and dedication.

TheLion
06-04-2007, 07:22 AM
thanks for the comment jed. i have lofty goals? 65 pounds to your squat in less than two months? thats pretty sick. good luck man. your young. kick ass and get it done.

prop going to work out after work at 2. i need to eat between classes. i get really hungry. just started my fitday account today. its a pain in the ass to get started, but i heard once you do its pretty simple. i eat a lot of the same foods anyway.

TheLion
06-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok, here we go. First workout. To start off, today's workout was tough, being the first one, but here it is.

Flat BB Bench Press
1 x 15 x 45 (wu)
1 x 12 x 45 (wu)
1 x 10 x 95 (wu)
1 x 10 x 115 (wu) pretty hard
1 x 7 x 135 very difficult. would have gone for 8 if i had a spot
1 x 7 x 135 same story

Low Incline DB Press
1 x 10 x 30s
1 x 7 x 40s
1 x 8 x 40s took a little rest before this set for that last rep

Dips
2 x 7

Chinups
1 x 5
1 x 3 Did as many as I could, but my arms were shot.

Deadlift
1 x 10 x 145
1 x 6 x 225
1 x 6 x 225 weight kept slipping bad. almost had to stop set and regrip

BB Rows
1 x 8 x 35s turned them into DB rows. Didnt know what I was doing.
1 x 10 x 35s

Shrugs
1 x 10 x 35s slacked up on the last two exercises. I was exhausted and tried to cruise a little

Okay, just in case yall are wondering, i'm following WBB1 workout. I hope I did everything right. Today I was trying to get a good workout, but at the same time, get a good idea of what some of my lifts will be. Also, if you guys think you can figure it out given this workout, what do you think my lifts would be? I have a ton of questions that I need some advice on. So here's a list of them. Please help me out with some answers

Questions:
1. On the BB Bench, where do I place my hands? My arms are fairly long. So I feel like I should spread my hands out wider than some people.
2. How much should I rest between sets? Also, how much between exercises?
3. What is the position of the bench in a low incline? Greater than 45, 45, or lower. I put the incline on the lowest incline it would go, but it was still around a 45 degree angle.
4. The dips hurt my right shoulder. I use to pitch in baseball and kind of hurt it. Is it bad if I feel discomfort? I dont mind pain at all, I just dont want to screw up my shoulder and have to miss time in the gym. I'm going to try the dips again next chest day and maybe I'll be fine.
5. Isn't a deadlift a lower body exercise? If so, why was it in my upper body workout? I just felt like my body was prepared for that lift. It felt strange compared to the others. My legs weren't warmed up and the exercise felt out of place. Once again, I am new to this, so I am probably wrong, but I am just wondering.
5. How do I keep from the weight slipping in my hands on deadlifts?
6. On the chins, how wide should my grip be? Also, should palms be in or out? I went just past shoulder width with palms out. Just so you know
7. What are BB rows? I didn't know so I did DB Rows, or at least I think I did. I did some exercise that I think worked my back, and I think it was called DB Rows.
8. Is there a recommended preworkout routine? Also, Is there a recommended number and weight variation for a warm up?
9. I was really tired after the workout. I mean exhausted. Even though I'm small, I'm really out of shape. should I do some cardio or something to get me in better shape for better endurance in the gym? or does it just simply take getting use to?
10. should i eat before or after a workout, or both? and what types of food?

I know these are a lot, and I'm sure I forgot a few, but if someone could help me with some of these, just respond. It will be much appreciated.

Built
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

This is WBB1.

What did you do?

jed
06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I wasnt saying your goals were out of reach or too much, I was just saying that view of the future was pretty badass... I'd love for that to be me too :)

Chubrock
06-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I see your goal of 15lbs of lean mass in one month, but personally I'd say scrap that. Don't go looking for quick results. Unless you're on a lot of gear and have awesome genetics, it isn't going to happen (the quick gains that is). The 15lbs of lean mass in one month is impossible. I'd recommend that you just focus on getting a solid diet down pat and a solid lifting split. Get into a routine that you can maintain for the long haul and you'll be much better off. As far as WBB1 goes, it is a fairly good beginner routine, but I'd rather see you on something like the 5x5 program. Google it and see what you think about it. I like the frequency that it offers, though it isn't what I follow myself. Remember, to get big, you gotta eat big. If you have any questions, hit me up in my journal.

PS:

As for most of the questions you asked up top, it'll really depend on you. Bench grip width as well as chin grip width is a personal thing. Play around and see what's comfortable for you. As far as dips, scrap them if you feel any pain. I tore my pec minor doing them so I've always been a bit hesitant to throwing them back in. They tend to put a lot of torque on the RC.

Cirino83
06-04-2007, 06:32 PM
You seem pretty determined and eager. Welcom to the boards and good luck with your goals. I'll be following along and trying to offer the advice I have obtained from this board.

TheLion
06-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Built - i tried to do WBB1. just with warm up sets to get an idea of what i could do. you have to remember, i had no idea what weights i could do. what's wrong

Jed - haha, i hear you man. its a dream. lets try to make it happen for both of us

Chubrock - i appreciate all the words. i'm looking around. i hate to be really indecisive about a lifting split right now. do you think i should worry about changing it immediately or stick to what i have for a while. built seems to like it. i think i have decent genetics. my dad is kind of big. i would like to try out my goal. hell, if i gain 10 lbs and dont reach my goal, i'm still doing pretty good by most peoples standards. i'm keeping up with my diet with fitday. around 4000 calories today. about the fast gains, i just like to get stuff done fast.

cirino - thanks man. i'm just at a point in my life where i'm tired of dicking around and i'm focusing on myself and doing what i want. which includes improving myself physically

Built
06-05-2007, 01:59 AM
High rep warmups are counterproductive. No harm doing a few low rep warmups, but you wore yourself out before you started to lift with all those 15-rep warmup sets.

Bako Lifter
06-05-2007, 03:56 AM
I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

I put my ring fingers on the rings when I bench.
Try to rest between 2-3 minutes between sets, but it's up to you.
Chins are palms in, pull ups are palms out. Grip width is up to you.
BB rows are the same as dumbell except with a barbell.
On deadlifts, are you using one hand over and one hand under? If not, do it.
Eat before and after. Lots of carbs before, lots of protein after.

Bako Lifter
06-05-2007, 04:00 AM
Oh, and for your max bench, I'd say you can hit about 160 which is very good for your first time, especially at your body weight. Just make sure the bar is touching your chest and you're not using a Smith Machine.

McVein
06-05-2007, 04:21 AM
I find it easer to move more weight wit ha norrower grip, its different for most people.

Congratulations on starting, and i wish you the best of luck.

Chubrock
06-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Chubrock - i appreciate all the words. i'm looking around. i hate to be really indecisive about a lifting split right now. do you think i should worry about changing it immediately or stick to what i have for a while. built seems to like it. i think i have decent genetics. my dad is kind of big. i would like to try out my goal. hell, if i gain 10 lbs and dont reach my goal, i'm still doing pretty good by most peoples standards. i'm keeping up with my diet with fitday. around 4000 calories today. about the fast gains, i just like to get stuff done fast.

If you've just started lifting, I'd rather see you in something that has you squatting more often than WBB1. You'll need a lot of work learning the form, and the little things that go along with hitting a good squat. Not picking on you, but everybody is that way when they start. I wouldn't worry about varying your workout this early. You've got to find something that fits you and that you enjoy. If you don't like the split, you're not going to be as focused on getting in the gym. Look up the 5x5 routine and see what you think about it. If you like it, swap it in and go from there. If you don't like it, it's no big deal. I would like to see you doing the Big 3 (SQ,BP,DL) more often though in the beginning. Just my $.02.

Clifford Gillmore
06-05-2007, 06:13 AM
I agree to an extent with Chubs about working more with the big 3 for a while and getting your form down first, but I think newer lifters need to do more conditioning work. IE.

The Begginer westside squat protocol calls for a solid 15-20 sets of 2 rep squats for week 1 and works in a wave upto to more volume, that'll work!

Good luck with the goals! I'll try and keep up with this journal and poke in some advice when I can.

Chubrock
06-05-2007, 06:17 AM
I agree to an extent with Chubs about working more with the big 3 for a while and getting your form down first, but I think newer lifters need to do more conditioning work. IE.

The Begginer westside squat protocol calls for a solid 15-20 sets of 2 rep squats for week 1 and works in a wave upto to more volume, that'll work!

Good luck with the goals! I'll try and keep up with this journal and poke in some advice when I can.

I agree Risk with the way the Beginner WSB protocol goes, but at the same time I'd rather give him only one workout that he has to look over and implement. I know that when I first started, if somebody had said "Use the WSB Squat Protocol, Metal Militia Style Benching Routine, etc etc" my head would've exploded.

Clifford Gillmore
06-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I didn't really make a good point did I?

What I'm trying to say is your conditioning is going to suck, your core is going to be weak and your going to have muscular imbalances all over the show - just the way things roll. Your going to need to do a good bit of conditioning work, sled dragging is great for this! Lots of singles and doubles of the big three.

Start off in your first week like this;

Day 1;

Squat; 10 sets, 2 reps. The low reps will help with your form. The idea is perfect form, just perfect. Shoulders drawn together, head back, belly full of air, sitting back instead of down. I like to watch videos of squats to make sure of my own form, I also film almost every other session and watch them back to mak sure I'm not making silly mistakes.

Lunges; These are great glute/hamstring builders! Start with DB's, always make sure your knee's don't pass your toes - that really puts some strain on the knee's.

Sled dragging; Try just doing 20 steps for 2 sets and work up from there.

Day 2;

Warm ups (5 minutes on stationary bike or whatever, I like to skip rope - this is not cardio!)

BB Bench; 5 sets, 5 reps. I'm going to assume your comfortable with a little bit of weight on the bar, so do something that feels light at the start even 100lbs. The goal is to make it through all sets and reps.

Abdominal work; This is to be heavy/weighted. Crunches end on end don't do anything, even having a 10lbs plate on your belly will help! Go for 3 or 4 sets of 8 or so reps.

Day 3;

Deadlifts; 8 sets. One rep. Same reason as sqauts. More fatigued you get, the worse your form gets.

Chin ups/Lateral pull downs; Try to go with chins, just do what you need to do to get 25 reps. rest and jump for each one if you need too.

Some kind of row; DB ROW, BB ROW, cable row, chest supported row. They all do the same thing, keep the form solid and don't try to jerk the weight around to get it moving. Do around 3-4 sets 8-12 reps.

Don't take it as Gospel, just take it as a guide. If you don't wan't to drag a sled (which alot of people don't), do some pull throughs with a cable machine with 15+ reps. There is no fluff there, this is just to get your body mechanized to repetition work. When you feel comfortable with squats and deads, change the rep range to 5x5. I didn't include any isolation work, and I follow the rule of if you can't flex it don't isolate it - it worked okay for me.

TheLion
06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Built - you're absolutely right. i felt like i wore myself out early. i was trying to get a good idea of weight, but i shouldnt have done as many reps or as much weight. thanks for the continued advice. my next workout will be much better.

Bako - thanks for answering some of my questions. I did the deadlift with one hand over and one under like you said. and i did the bench like you said. no smith machine, and i touch my chest

mcvein - thanks for the support.

chubs - i agree with you. i think i'm going to spend the next couple of weeks trying to arrange the best workout for me. this will largely depend on what all of you guys suggest, so keep the advice coming. i'm just looking to get a good full body workout. i would like to grow evenly as far as muscle mass, but i understand that might be hard. oh, and you and risk are determined to make my head explode

risk - i'm assuming a rest day between each workout day, right? and i dont have a sled, so what are pull throughs with a cable machine?

everyone feel free to stick around and keep the advice coming.

TheLion
06-05-2007, 08:19 PM
had a good rest day today. went to the beach. ate a lot of protein today. trying to keep up the calories till I can get some supplements.

i'm deciding on what supplements to purchase, what do you guys personally suggest? and what cycle?

Built
06-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Cycle?

Clifford Gillmore
06-06-2007, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE=TheLion;1699994]risk - i'm assuming a rest day between each workout day, right? and i dont have a sled, so what are pull throughs with a cable machine?[QUOTE]

http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/pullthrough.html

Don't sweat supplements. Everyone gets caught up with them and they are a farce. Get a protein powder, don't sweat the brand names too much and possibly a multi-vitamin. Concentrate on eating clean whole foods, eggs, chicken, steaks, nuts, milk, lots of vegetables (these are a great! Make monster gains with these guys0)

TheLion
06-06-2007, 05:06 AM
built - how often to take them

risk - thanks man. i'm trying to change my eating habits, but for right now i'm having a hard time getting all my protein by just eating a lot of food. i'm probably going to get some protein.

Jaybird88
06-06-2007, 12:50 PM
arnold press: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBArnoldPress.html

Lovely! Keep up the good work.

TheLion
06-06-2007, 03:18 PM
thanks jaybird88. together we will be the next guidos.

Built
06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Protein powder is a worthwhile supplement - it is, of course, FOOD and you won't be cycling it. But indeed, one thing at a time.

What are your protein sources at the moment?

TheLion
06-06-2007, 03:52 PM
workout

Sqats
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 115
1 x 3 x 135
5 x 3 x 155
(Wide stance. Narrow stance feels stronger, but I wanted to go wide bc thats what i saw in videos. really focused on form. good arch, stomach out, a little below parallel.)

Hack Squats
1 x 3 x 135
6 x 3 x 155
(How do you do it w/o rubbing the back of your legs?)

Leg Curls
2 x 8 x 90 on machine

SLDL
6 x 3 x 185

Standing Calf Raises
4 x 10 Smith Machine w/ 45s

I decided to go more sets with lower reps on the main lifts. I'm really going for a lot of muscle mass. I would like to see more weight on my frame. I will worry about cutting later if i get too much fat. I felt like Chubs and Risk had good ideas. Anyone feel free to comment on this workout

Jaybird88
06-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I had the exact same question about the hacks and I believe I've come to the conclusion that you don't :) I found this helpful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_PopWSUWM

Built
06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I'd use RDLs over SLDLs, and I'd urge you to place them earlier in your workout.

TheLion
06-06-2007, 05:11 PM
thanks jaybird. maybe thats why most people doing that lift are wearing pants. i would do that but i'd rather rub my calves raw than be sweating like a pig while i'm working out

built - i agree. the DL needs to be earlier, probably be after my squats, or shoud i put an exercise between them? RDLs. i guess these are Romanian Dead Lifts?

Chubrock
06-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I see no reason why you can't put the RDLs or SLDLs right after your squatting. I do the same thing during my DE days.

TheLion
06-06-2007, 05:49 PM
whats the difference between Romanian DLs and Stiff Legged DLs? i found none in the videos i watched. and next week i will move them up in the workout

Built
06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
u-tube comparison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ojz2DmivUY)

Also, RDL form (http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercise%20videos%20plus/rdl.mpg)

Note that for an RDL, the butt goes BAAACK, arch remains in the back, bar travels straight up and down while touching the body, knees are bent but you don't squat it down, you reach your ass back like a pivot.

Lower until you lose the arch in your back.

TheLion
06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
built - just noticed your protein comment. i'm keeping up with my fit day account like you said. i was going to do it for a week like you recommended, and then show it to yall. i'm probably going to get some nitrean like everyone else on this board too. right now, protein is coming from chicken, eggs, milk, turkey, chunky peanut butter, etc. whatever i can get. ps. thanks for the info on rdls.

TheLion
06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
ok, here's friday's session. i went home this weekend and dont have internet so i couldnt post it until now. btw, weight gain for this week was 3 lbs, so that is good.

Shoulders
Standing OH Press:
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 65
2 x 6 x 115

Standing Lateral Raises
2 x 10 x 25 lbs DB

TRIS
Narrow Grip BP
1 x 5 x 115
2 x 8 x 115
2 x 8 x 125

BIS
BB Curls
2 x 8 x 75

Hammer Curls
1 x 8 x 25 lbs

i did a bench max to start off the workout just to have a base to build on. ended up getting 185 lbs. i was pretty excited about that. workout felt solid.
gained some good weight this week so that was good. i should be getting my protein in today or soon, so that will help. i purchased some nitrean. everyone seemed big on that. i'm concerned about taking protein tho. i dont want it to have any bad effects on my body. i'll take it for a month and we'll see how i feel. it seems good to have one max out of the way to go ahead and build off of. i'm thinking i may do either a squat or DL max come wednesday on my leg day. and do the other the next week. just so i can have something to build off of. i'll get today's session up later

RedSpikeyThing
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
congrats on teh weight gain, 3 lbs in a week is very good! Bench and shoulders are looking solid. You got a good strength base to work with.

TheLion
06-11-2007, 09:04 AM
thanks red

Chubrock
06-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Don't worry about Nitrean. It's just straight protein. Same stuff you get when you eat chicken, eggs, beef etc etc.

Guido
06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
You seem to be very determined, eager to learn, and open to suggestions. That attitude will take you far if you stick with it. Nice start to a journal.

Oh, and I can't believe nobody did this yet, but: :spam:

TheLion
06-11-2007, 11:23 AM
chubs ok. i just dont know much about ingredients and everything. i cant disect a nutrional label and figure out whats good or bad, so its hard for me to know. i do need something tho, and hopefully this nitrean will do the job. that and lots of eating

guido thanks for the :spam:. i'll need it. i'm trying to stay motivated and on the right path without getting burned out.

TODAY'S WORKOUT

CHEST
flat BB BP
1 X 10 X 45 wu
1 X 8 X 95 wu
5 x 5 x 135 felt solid

Low Incline DB Press
1 x 8 x 40s
1 x 7 x 45s (+5lbs)

BACK
Chins
1 x 6 x BW (+1 rep)
1 x 4 x BW (+1 rep)

T Bar
2 x 8 x 45

Yates Rows
2 x 8 x 135

Shrugs
1 x 10 x 135

I thought today's session went well. I took Chubs advice and went with the 5x 5 on bench. i'm going to stick to an altered WBB1 split for a while, but intend to do the 5 x 5s for my big 3 instead of a 2 x 6-8. I felt drained when i went into the gym just bc i hadnt eaten anything but a bunch of crackers and cheese all day. it was just a crappy day so far when it comes to food. had to lift between my break and couldnt eat, and i have to travel tonight, so i'm going to do my best to eat plenty on the road that is as lean as is possible. if i expect to keep gaining weight every week, i can not afford setbacks like today. must eat!!!

Stumprrp
06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
great workout!

Coke
06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Solid workouts, seeing you raise up as planned is gonna be super.

TheLion
06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
stump and cocoa thanks for the support guys.

ok guys, i just received some bad news, however, i do see the humor in this story. i went to the doctor today and found out i have some type of tear in my rectum. NO, i am not gay, i do not enjoy HPI (hot pork injection) up my butt. he said it was most likely from just having a really big terd. its not serious, but it will take a while to heal. i have to take a bunch of suppositories and stool softeners. i also have to keep my hole lubed everytime i take a dump. yea, its gross, but imagine how i feel. i got violated today more than i ever have. the bad news is, and i will bold this, I am not allowed to do any Squats or Deadlifts for at least 6 weeks. this really sucks. sucks hard. i'm just getting started. the good news is, i dont have to quit lifting lower completely. i can still do machines and what not, just no lifts that could possibly lead to making the tear worse. and all other lifts are a go. this is not going to slow me down completely. i plan on pressing on, but i need to let this heal. so, for around a month and a half, i will be doing no deads or squats. i hate it, but its what the doctor ordered, and bleeding out the butt isnt fun. let me know any lifts that might be possible given my injury.

North
06-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Nice job on the chins, those seem to toughest when you start doing them because sometimes you can't just lower the weight, but stick with them and they'll get easier every week.

Clifford Gillmore
06-12-2007, 12:31 AM
he said it was most likely from just having a really big terd.

Thats f***ing brilliant! Haha!

Sucks about it though man, normally I say ice up with injuries.. I'll just let this one be. :D

Chubrock
06-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Dad said he felt the same way about being violated.

Can't believe you didn't tell me it was you, you chode. How long were you going to let me go on oblivious to the fact you had finally started a new journal. I should've picked up on it earlier. From the EyeoftheTiger to TheLion. I should've picked up on the workouts earlier. The 185BP and your CGBP set off a red flare and then the whole ass thing sealed it. You took that pic in a way that definitely doesn't look like you, so that threw me off.

Bob
06-12-2007, 06:28 AM
Just checking out your journal Lion... a great story & attitude.. .I wish you best results with your goals.

Dang.. a torn rectum from a big turd.. OUCH!!!
I had a big turd problem when I was a young kid - 4-5 yrs old.. I still have nightmares about my mom & dad squeezing my stomach trying to get my turds out..

too bad about the squats and DLs... don't know if I would hit the machines all that hard... but lunges, even light ones, can be great to build up your legs, balance, etc...

GL.. and heal fast...

Chubrock
06-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Yea I'm thinking the Doc is probably wanting him to stay away from anything that transfers stress to the glutes, hence the whole machine thing.

TheLion
06-12-2007, 06:44 AM
north yea. my chins are weak, but i'm going to keep working on them. i think i'm going to through in a few more sets of as many as i can do until i can do a few solid sets.

risk you may be on to something. an ice cube up the butt might help.

chubs def a great movie. val kilmer's second best movie. with tombstone being the best, of course. i lift in my university gym and everynow and then in my buddies garage. yea, this injury sucks. not exactly the type of injury you brag about.

bearwolf thanks for the kind words. hopefully i want have to squeeze my stomach. i have a feeling these stool softeners will keep me from having to do that. i may try those lunges. we'll see how it feels. i'm not suppose to do anything that involves the squatting motion. so, we'll see

TheLion
06-12-2007, 06:45 AM
chubs i'm confused, do you have the same problem? oh, and tigers are cool, but i think a lion could def take a tiger

Chubrock
06-12-2007, 06:45 AM
You ass, look at the edit on my original post.

TheLion
06-12-2007, 06:47 AM
you keep changing your posts. i cant keep up

Chubrock
06-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Haha look at the post where I originally talked about liking Tigers better.

TheLion
06-12-2007, 06:53 AM
i got you. just in your next post it sayed that "you" needed to stay away from glute lifts. not me

Chubrock
06-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Good catch. So when were you planning on letting me know it was you? Ya chode.

Chubrock
06-12-2007, 07:21 AM
As far as the ass thing goes, swing over to HomeYield's journal and ask him about any suggestions for lower body work that doesn't involve the glutes so much. Tell him I sent you over there. He's probably one of the most knowledgable guys on the board.

Bako Lifter
06-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Lmao, I love this journal. It's my new favorite.

Great work Lion.

TheLion
06-12-2007, 12:34 PM
i got fans. me and my ass

Chubrock
06-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Haha Homeyield responded but had a few questions for you. Make sure you check his journal again.

TheLion
06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
MOTHER ****ER, pardon my French

check the bottom for explanation.

LEG EXTENSIONS ON MACHINE
1 X 10 X 105
1 X 8 X 120
1 X 8 X 135
1 X 8 X 150
1 X 5 X 165
1 X 5 X 180
1 X 5 X 185

BOX STEP UPS (14" BOX)
1 X 10 X 45 (just to see how it felt and if it would work)
1 X 10 X 135 (5 EACH LEG)
1 X 10 X 155
1 X 10 X 185

LEG CURLS
1 X 8 X 90
1 X 8 X 100 (+10 lbs)
1 X 8 X 110 (+20 lbs)

CALF RAISES
4 X 10 X 110 added to smith machine (+20 lbs)

RACK PULLS
1 X 5 X 225
1 X 3 X 315
1 X 3 X 315
1 X 2 X 405

I had to quit after the last set of rack pulls. i was so pissed off. the weight felt light, but my gym has no chalk, and i couldnt get the wraps to work right. so, everytime i tried to get 405, it would slip out of my hands and i would have to stop. I NEED CHALK. i had to try 405 around 5 times to get those two reps, and after that the bar was so slick i couldnt get any more. over all, considering the conditions, not too bad of a workout

TheLion
06-13-2007, 07:22 PM
got my Nitrean today. just had my first shake. finally, a good protein powder that actually tastes good!!! TWO THUMBS UP FOR NITREAN

Built
06-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Are you doing the rack pulls at the end of your workout bud?

TheLion
06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
yes. all the racks were full. everyone was bench pressing

Chubrock
06-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Solid work Asylan haha. I'll have to get you some chalk.

Built
06-13-2007, 07:43 PM
yes. all the racks were full. everyone was bench pressing

Grrr... so by the time you got there, you were tired and sweaty. No WONDER you had trouble gripping.

Guido
06-13-2007, 09:36 PM
chubs i'm confused, do you have the same problem? oh, and tigers are cool, but i think a lion could def take a tigerA liger could kick both their asses!

Oh, and get you some damn chalk!

TheLion
06-14-2007, 07:16 AM
chubs twould be great

built i will get chalk, and i will put rack pulls at the beginning of my workout.

guido i will get chalk. you are a liger

Guido
06-14-2007, 08:16 AM
guido i will get chalk. you are a ligerGood, 'cause it's pretty much my favorite animal.

TheLion
06-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Friday's Workout pushed to Today bc I am being forced to do work all day Tomorrow = A SH***Y WORKOUT

i hate to be a negative nancy, but these last two workouts have not been what i needed.

SHOULDERS, TRIS, AND BIS

STANDING OH PRESS
1 x 8 x 45
1 x 8 x 75
1 x 3 x 105
1 x 5 x 125 (+10 lbs)
1 x 5 x 125 (+10 lbs)
1 x 3 x 130 (+15 lbs failed on four)

STANDING LAT RAISES
3 X 8 X 25s

CGBP
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 8 X 125
1 X 7 X 125
1 X 7 X 120 (failed on 8)
1 X 4 X 120 (failed on 5)
1 X 5 X 120

BB CURLS
1 X 8 X 75 (was rocking too much so dropped in weight)
1 X 10 X 65
1 X 8 X 70

HAMMER CURLS
1 X 8 X 25s
1 X 8 X 30s

WEIGHTED AB MACHINE

Standing OH Presses
-went pretty well. i moved up 10 lbs and tried 130 just to see what happened, but couldnt do but three

CGBP
-was really pissed off about these. couldnt keep my concentration. my damn gym kept playing slow R&B and Avril Lavigne's girlfriend song. i hate avril. i almost threw a BB through the speakers. the weight just would not come up, but i decided to keep doing as many reps a set as i could until i got my full amount of reps in

BB Curls
-was rocking with the weight so i dropped it down.

overall, i was pleased that i did well with the OH Presses, but after that, the workout just fell apart. lets just hope the next one is better

note to self: BUY AN IPOD!!!

Hydro1945
06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
lol, best intro ever man. keep workin

Chubrock
06-14-2007, 06:22 PM
We gotta get you back into Hell's Pass bro. Nice workout either way man.

TheLion
06-14-2007, 06:28 PM
hydro thanks. and welcome to my journal

chubs yea. our crappy school gym and its SH***Y atmosphere do not help

Chubrock
06-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Did you get my other pm?

Ammotroop
06-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Very interesting Journal so far.....Keep up the tough work..

TheLion
06-14-2007, 06:47 PM
ammotroop i will. welcome to my journal. stick around

Chubrock
06-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Did you get my other pm?

TheLion
06-17-2007, 08:39 PM
weigh in tomorrow morning. pretty psyched. hope i gained some weight this week.

TheLion
06-18-2007, 05:56 AM
JUNE 18th WEIGH-IN

164 LBS!!!

wow. this means i put on 4 lbs this week. i'm pretty psyched about it. looking forward to today's workout. should be a good one!

North
06-18-2007, 06:00 AM
Do you know how much LBM you've gained during this time? Estimates atleast? Either way great job with the weight gain. Keep the lifts going up too man.

Chubrock
06-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Do you know how much LBM you've gained during this time? Estimates atleast? Either way great job with the weight gain. Keep the lifts going up too man.

He's a fatty, but now almost as big as me. The Lion don't care about no fat. He's gonna get massive and then cut back to be a cheetah.

Clifford Gillmore
06-18-2007, 07:11 AM
He's a fatty, but now almost as big as me. The Lion don't care about no fat. He's gonna get massive and then cut back to be a cheetah.

Kind of like me cutting back to being an elephant. Rawrl.

TheLion
06-18-2007, 07:25 AM
YEA

i just want to get BIGGER. north d00d, i have no idea what my lbm is. or fat %. or what it means. i know its probably greater than 8, but less that 35, so in between there is probably my body fat %. i know that doesnt help you at all. is there a way i can figure it out pretty easily. chubs my endurance and speed is faster than you, though you wont admit it. dont be jealous. however, if i keep gaining weight like i want to. i may lose that, but i'm willing to sacrifice it a little.risk indeed

here's my main goal. i would like to bulk up to 185, and then cut down to 175. i don't really have a time table for when i would like to have that accomplished, but i would like to be adding around 3 lbs a week (unless i start to look like the pilsbury dough boy, and then i'll slow the gains down to maybe 1.5-2 lbs a week). with the 3 lbs a week consistently, i will reach 185 at a projected date of August 8th. however, 3lbs consistently will be hard, and you might have a couple of weeks where you just cant get the gains, so i'm not shooting for this date. instead, i'm setting shorter term goals and nibbling at it a little bit at a time.

i'll probably put on a lot of fat, but i feel like the muscle mass i'll gain will really help grow my lifts, and then when i cut, i'll cut slow, and be able to sustain my muscle and my lifting numbers. i could be way off, but i think this will work. for some point in my life, i would like to be close to 200 lbs. if you knew me, you would know that this would be CRAZY.

TheLion
06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Chest and Back Workout

BOLD = additional rep/set added or new PR

BB BP
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 7 X 95
1 X 5 X 115
5 X 5 X 140 (+5 LBS) This felt like a good weight. Will stick with this next week.

LOW INCLINE DB PRESS
1 X 8 X 45s (+5 lbs)
1 X 7 X 45s Almost got the last one but couldnt quite do it.

Dips
2 X 8 X BW 1st time doing 2 full BW sets

CHINS
1 X 7 X BW po,wg
1 X 4 X BW po,wg
1 X 4 X BW po,cg
1 X 2 X BW pi,wg
1 X 3 X BW pi,cg

T-BAR
1 X 8 X 45
1 X 8 X 55
1 X 5 X 65

Yates Row (Double Underhand)
1 X 8 X 135 Felt REALLY Good. had to bump up the weight!
1 X 8 X 155 (+20 lbs) Felt awkward. didnt establish a good back arch and it started to give on the last couple of reps
1 X 8 X 155 felt solid!

Shrugs (Mixed Grip)
1 X 10 X 155
1 X 10 X 155
1 X 12 X 185 felt easy! need to do this and more next week

ABS - WEIGHTED
2 X 10 W/ 25 LB
1 X 10 W/ 25 LB side to side

Comments:
Today's workout was GREAT! i really felt like i prepped my mind and body well for today's session. was happy that i moved up 5 lbs on my 5 x 5. that wasnt even my focus today. my focus was going to be on my back work since i think it needed some more emphasis, but everything seemed to be clicking. i threw in some more sets on my chins bc i feel that i'm really weak on them and i need to work on that. my other back exercises felt really strong today. i wasnt expecting that but i was psyched. today's been a great day thus far with good weight gain from this past week and a very good workout. now its time to eat and study for my two finals tomorrow.

*QUESTION: What should my ROM be on my shrugs?

*notes to self:
-add an additional set on the low incline DB presses.
-work on doing a 3 x 10 next week for dips

Hydro1945
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
good job on the weight gain! strong shrugging, 185 is a lot of weight to hold for 12 reps. as far as ROM goes, as a guideline, i do a shrug without weight and watch how high my shoulders go. then, with the weight, i'll try to shrug my shoulders to about the same level.

Cirino83
06-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Nice session man. Congrats on the successful bulk so far.

Bako Lifter
06-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Dude, I wish I could gain like that :D. Well I guess I could, so I guess I just wish I had as much dedication as you, haha.

Chubrock
06-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Heck yea man, session looked good. Nice 5x5. What were you talking about first time doin full BW dips? You used to hit BW +90lbs for 5.

TheLion
06-18-2007, 08:19 PM
hydro thanks man. the 185 felt really good actually. i'm going to need to stick with that weight or go higher i think. i feel like my ROM was pretty good. i'll def use your advice as a guide.

cirino things are going smooth and steady so far. no setbacks in sight. hopefully i'm gaining some good muscle with these weight gains.

bakolifter haha. you still kick my ass in lifting and you weigh around 20 lbs less than me, so i dont feel sorry for you. lol. if you want to be a fatty like me, stick to my strict diet of eating everything you can afford and then borrowing money from your parents to order Nitrean.

Heck yea man, session looked good. Nice 5x5. What were you talking about first time doin full BW dips? You used to hit BW +90lbs for 5.

man i don't know what has happened, but i just cant do the dips anymore like i could back in the day. i mean, when i got these 2 sets of 8, i almost failed. its weird.

TheLion
06-18-2007, 08:46 PM
ran a little bit with the woman today. went for maybe a mile walk with a mile run added at the end. this was unusually difficult. i use to be able to kill multiple miles. but, it doesnt matter, bc thats not my goal right now. my goal is to be swole.

Coke
06-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Lifting higher numbers is always a good deal, especially while doing 5 x 5...pretty much raise to ears on shrugs.

TheLion
06-19-2007, 07:34 AM
cocoa appreciated

ok, i'm going to vent for a second.

so i go to my exam this morning and i need a parking space, but the only one available is the one reserved for the dean. well, i have to make it to my exam, so there is really no debate. i park and take my exam. when i get back out, ****, i have a ticket. wasnt gone but maybe 1 hour. oh, but it gets better, so i walk around to my door, and behold, there is a *****ING BOOT on my truck. i swear. screw the *****ING DEAANN!!!
so, i'm going to do what any logical person would do. i'm going to look up how much a pair of bolt-cutters cost and see if i can return it after i'm done, then i'm going to go cut the bolt off of the boot and throw the boot in the pond behind the parking lot. yes. they shall pay. they all shall pay. screw campus parking bastards!!!!

Chubrock
06-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Hahaha holy ****. First time I've heard of them using a boot out there. Be careful cutting it off. You're gonna end up in jail lol.

Guido
06-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Don't let anybody catch you cutting that thing off. You'll be screwed. Even if you do it, they know on who's car it was, so you're screwed either way. So basically, you're pretty much just screwed. Screwed I tell you. SCREWED.

TheLion
06-19-2007, 09:35 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ok, so here's the deal. i just called the parking office and they said that when you get a boot removed you have to pay for the boot removal as well as all outstanding tickets. this wouldnt be a big deal, except i have a few hundred dollars in tickets that they havent been able to catch me with yet. i think i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do some jail time.

Chubrock
06-19-2007, 09:38 AM
They haven't been able to trace all the tickets to you so maybe they won't have it on record.

TheLion
06-19-2007, 09:57 AM
They haven't been able to trace all the tickets to you so maybe they won't have it on record.

true. and i have to get it off before tonight, so i'm just going to suck it up and pay to have it taken off.

TheLion
06-22-2007, 02:16 PM
ok, i had to leave wednesday morning and just got back. i was on the road helping a friend move. i will workout tomorrow bc my school gym closed at 2. tomorrow will probably be just shoulders, bis, and tris, with maybe a couple of leg exercises since i missed wednesday's workout. but i will most likely just try to focus on what should have been today's workout. i also dont want to work myself too much before monday's workout.

side note: i now owe my university $525 for parking tickets. turns out they are a little more meticulous about keeping up with it than i thought. but i have til december to pay it off, so that is good. at least the boot got taken off and i still have my truck

North
06-22-2007, 02:23 PM
good **** man, sorry about the boot, that would piss me off if that happened to me... actually i'd be happy because it'd mean i'd have a car

Guido
06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
$525 in parking tickets? Dear god, man! Yeah. Universities don't fool around with that shyte.

Coke
06-23-2007, 09:27 AM
$525 in parking tickets? Dear god, man! Yeah. Universities don't fool around with that shyte.

No doubt man...and that's quite serious for parking in the wrong spot, imo - whether the dean or not.

TheLion
06-23-2007, 12:17 PM
north, guido, coke yea. i had 21 outstanding parking tickets. $25 a piece. guido, you were right. i'm SCREWED! haha, but i'll have a while to pay it off.

also guys, i feel like my wednesday workout is lacking and pretty much a waste of time since i cant do majority of lower lifts, so i think i will add some more chest and back work on wednesday in order to really put a lot of work into those lifts. yes or no?

TheLion
06-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Today's Workout

Bench Max, Shoulders, Bis, Tris, Abs

BB BP
1 X 10 X 45 slow
1 X 5 X 45 fast
1 X 7 X 95
1 X 3 X 135
1 X 2 X 160
1 X 1 X 175
1 X 1 X 190 (+5 PR)
1 X 1 X 200 (couldnt count it. bad spotter)

STANDING OH PRESS
1 X 8 X 45
1 X 5 X 95
2 X 5 X 125

CGBP
1 X 5 X 45
1 X 3 X 95
3 X 8 X 120

STANDING LAT RAISES
3 X 8 X 20s

BB CURLS
3 X 7 X 60

WEIGHTED ABS
a whole lot x bw + 25 LBS
BW X a bunch

HAMMER CURLS
2 X 7 X 30s

ok. so i went into today's workout session planning to do some lower work since i missed wednesday's workout, and then do friday's workout, or a condensed version of such. instead, once i got in, i decided to not to lower, bc i cant do the major lifts and i feel like i'm wasting my time, and instead try a new bench max and do friday's workout.
I got the new bench max, and could have probably gotten 200, but the spotter touched the bar immediately after i brought the bar to my chest and guided it up. he said it was all me, but it doesnt matter. he touched it and it doesnt count. that pissed me off. i thought about trying it again with a different spotter, but i decided not to push the issue. new bench PR is good enough. i really think i can do 200. maybe on a good day, even 205! despite a bad spotter, i was pretty excited about this. i knew my strength had gone up, but i wasnt expecting that. 190 flew up. it felt real solid. i'm probably going to wait 2-4 weeks and try a new bench max @ 205. the rest of the workout was kind of rushed. i didnt have long before my school gym closed. good overall workout.

ps. go see evan almighty. its a good movie

Hydro1945
06-24-2007, 05:36 PM
good to see you get up 190. you're not far from 225.

Chubrock
06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Nice benching bro. Like I said, wait to do another ME session when I can give you a good spot.

TheLion
06-24-2007, 07:24 PM
hydro yea man. 225 in a short time

chubrock most def.

TheLion
06-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Today's Weigh-In: 162 lbs . Minus 2 lbs

Chest/Back

BB BP -
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 3 x 135
1 x 5 x 140
1 x 5 x 140
1 x 5 x 140
1 x 5 x 140
1 x 5 x 145
(move up to 5 x 5 x 145 next time)

Low Incline DB Press -
3 x 8 x 45s (first time with a full 3 x 8)
(move up weight next week)

Dips -
3 x 10 x BW
(do BW + 25 lbs for a 3 x 6 next time and work until i can do a full 3 x 10 x BW +25 lbs)

Chins -
BW x 7
BW x 5
BW x 3 Jumps, with negatives

T-Bar
1 x 8 x 55
1 x 8 x 65 Was rocking the weight up, so dropped weight to gain isolation on back
2 x 8 x 45 Very slow, very controlled

Yates Row -
3 x 8 x 155 (good weight. stick with that)

Shrugs -
135 x 10
155 x 8
155 x 10

Abs

Cardio - Walk 1 mile, run 1 mile

Felt really good today. Great session in my opinion. Made up some huge ground and made some really good jumps from last week. Bench 5 x 5 felt solid with 140 and really easy, so for the last set i did 145, just for giggles to see how the weight felt, and it felt good. i'm going to add a bench 5 x 5 to my wednesday workout and do a 5 x 5 x 145. i'm also going to add some chins and maybe another back exercise since i feel like my back really needs a lot of work. maybe t-bar row.
any suggestions?
dips = much better! got a 3 x 10 x bw on dips. felt good. i feel like on my dips i have a lot of explosive power and can lift a lot of weight, but for high reps i struggle, so i'm going to add 25 lbs next week for a 3 x 6 and work on it till i get a 3 x 10 with it, and then add some more weight. my t-bar rows seem abnormally weak, so i'm really going to make sure i'm not trying to force weight up there, and i'm going to concentrate on slow, smooth lifts until i feel like they are strong. yates row i think i found a good weight for me at. started to get real heavy on the last reps. shrugs i concentrated on my form a lot today and really paused at the top of my shrug to emphasize the height of my pull. overall a great workout.

about the weight. i helped a pastor friend of our family move this week to a place around 7 hours away. i didnt get to eat but about twice each day and was constantly moving boxes and what not. this was a horrible week for my bulking, but weeks like this wont happen often. its only a slight setback, and i'm not going to sweat it too much. i'm shooting for a weigh-in of 164 next week. we'll see what happens!

Guido
06-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Don't worry about the weight loss. Unexpected things like that happen. You'll gain it back fast, anyway, and then some.

Good strategy really keying in on your form. It will help you more in the long run.

TheLion
06-25-2007, 10:08 PM
guido yea. i'm not worried about the loss really. its going to be hard to get to my short term bulk goal, but its understandable under the circumstances. i'm really trying to focus on having good form and not cheating by trying to rock, or by not doing lifts properly, that way i can know i'm really working my muscles correctly

TheLion
06-26-2007, 02:54 PM
ok guys, i have a question. i have a lot of fat built up in my gut. the rest of my body looks pretty lean, but i have too much fat in my stomach area. so my question is:

what is the best and FASTEST way to get rid of that stomach fat?

thanks

BCorn
06-26-2007, 02:55 PM
i would say diet and HIIT

Chubrock
06-26-2007, 03:04 PM
i would say diet and HIIT

I agree. Interval training along with cutting out all the Captain Crunch and Peanut Buttercups you eat should do the trick quite nicely. Obviously you're giong to have to eat more food to make up for eating cleanly but you should be doing that anyway haha.

Dunno how I missed the workout. Nice job with the benching man.

TheLion
06-26-2007, 03:15 PM
BCorn yea. i have a few dieting questions. i'm perusing the nutrition area to find some answers. if i dont, i'll start a thread.

chubs dude, i eat one bowl of captain crunch and you get all over my ass. i'm going to start posting every thing i eat so you'll shut up. i havent had a reese cup in a month. i'm eating pretty clean. i still eat carbs and fats, but they're usually clean fats. so shut up. i will pwn you when you get back here. you will cry. and turn into ben stiller in the end of dodgeball. :evillaugh:

RedSpikeyThing
06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
nice workout! Your bench is making fast progress :)

Bako Lifter
06-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Nice workouts Lion. I don't know whats wrong with your journal. I subscribed 2x but it never shows up in my User CP. ???

TheLion
06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
rst thanks man. the bench is feeling great every time i go. i'm going to start to put a lot of emphasis on it

bako lifter yea. hadnt seen you around in a while. i mean, if you're going to quote me, i at least expect a subscription, haha. but i dont know whats up. you should put it as your homepage to solve that problem

Did some HIIT today. Going to run a little with my girl and then probably do some ab work.

SIDE NOTE: WBB should send T.I. a letter trying to get him into lifting. That is the skinniest black dude i've ever seen. He needs to start lifting with 50. just an idea. WBB Head Guys, get on that.

Bako Lifter
06-26-2007, 04:41 PM
you should put it as your homepage to solve that problem
:zipit: Haha, will do. JK ;)

And thanks for making me laugh you jerk. Check my journal to see why :(.

TheLion
06-27-2007, 05:46 AM
did 2 sessions of HIIT. well, actually, the first one wasnt that intense, but the second was, but that may be bc i'm insanely out of shape. the HIIT looked like this

walked 3-5 minutes
slow jogged 1 minute
20 sec sprint
40 sec walk/med jog
20 sec sprint
40 sec walk
20 sec sprint
40 sec walk
20 sec sprint
40 sec walk
20 sec sprint
40 sec walk
20 sec sprint
2 minute walk
5 minute jog
5 minute walk

is this reasonable? i'm thinking of doing a session like this on my off days: tuesday and thursday

Chubrock
06-27-2007, 06:14 AM
That should be pretty good. I wouldn't do two insanely tough HIIT sessions in the same day though. They tend to really beat your ass farther down the road.

Cirino83
06-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Nice **** lately. Congrats with the PR's.

TheLion
06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
man. i'm so tired today from the HIIT. its my first time doing it, so i can expect some soreness i guess. chubs yea. the first session wasnt that bad. really just a warmup. the sprints killed tho. cirino thanks.

my whole body feels tired. i really hope i have a good session in the gym today. i pray i do

BCorn
06-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Tabatta Intervals seem effective. 20 seconds excercise, 10 seconds rest - 8 sets....total of 4 minutes.......these can be done with almost anything......bodyweight squats, thrusters, jump rope, run, etc.......

TheLion
06-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Today's Workout: ANOTHER GREAT ONE!!!

Chest/Back/Lower

BB BP
1 X 10 X 45 slow
1 X 5 X 45 fast
1 X 7 X 95
1 X 3 X 135
5 X 5 X 145 (+5 PR. MOVING TO 150 MONDAY!) SUPER EASY!

LEG CURLS
1 X 5 X 75
1 X 5 X 90
1 X 8 X 110
1 X 8 X 115
1 X 6 X 120

CHINS
BW X 7
BW X 6
BW X 3 and one negative

LEG EXT.
1 X 5 X 135
1 X 5 X 165
5 X 5 X 190

T-BAR ROWS
1 X 8 X 45
3 X 5 X 55

CALF RAISES
4 X 10 X 110

ABS

I felt HORRIBLE going into the gym today. I was exhausted from HIIT last night, legs sore, and sleepy, but i had an AWESOME session. Bench felt super strong. Chins are moving very slowly, but they're moving. Can't wait till Monday to do some more Bench. It just keeps moving. I love it! Legs felt strong. Much better than the last workout. Might start some light squats bc i think my rectum has about healed up. Really pumped. I wonder what I could have done had I felt strong going into today's workout!??!

Chubrock
06-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I wonder what I could have done had I felt strong going into today's workout!??!

Eaten a shark.

Nice pressing once again man. You headin this way Friday to lift with me?

TheLion
06-27-2007, 06:19 PM
chubs i may can swing that. we'll see. i'll get up with you

Clifford Gillmore
06-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Making sound progres bro, you getting alot stronger than I did.

RedSpikeyThing
06-27-2007, 08:09 PM
wow, PRs every session! Keep it up!

TheLion
06-28-2007, 07:59 AM
risk thats awesome. hopefully i'll get to where i'm pressing as much as you one day.

rst i hope i will. if i keep moving up 5 lbs a week on my 5 x 5, in one year from my start i will be projected to be pressing 5 x 5 x 395! LOL

TheLion
06-28-2007, 05:29 PM
decided not to do HIIT today. just felt tired after HIIT tuesday and then lower work yesterday. I'm thinking saturday will be a good day for that. probably do the 8 sets of 20 sec sprints and 10 sec break.

TheLion
06-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Today's Workout

Exhausted

Chest/Shoulders/Tris/Bis

BB BP
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 5 X 45
1 X 7 X 95
1 X 3 X 135
1 X 5 X 150 felt fine
1 X 5 X 150 oh no. felt tired
1 X 5 X 150 little better
1 X 5 X 150 smoother. still tired
1 X 5 X 150 (+5lb PR) whew. that was close. almost didnt get it.

gonna try a 5 X 5 X 155 on Monday, but i absolutely MUST get some protein and REST. decided to do a 5 x 5 all three days this week bc my bench just keeps going up, and since i cant do lower, i'm going to keep pushing my bench until it slows down

Standing OH Press
1 X 8 X 45
1 X 5 X 95
2 X 5 X 115
was feeling a weird tweak in my left arm, like a muscle tweak or something, so i stopped. probably going to switch to OH DB presses next time

CG BP
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 8 X 120
1 X 8 X 120 TIRED

Standing Lat Raises
3 X 8 X 20s

Hammer Curls
3 X 8 X 30s

ABS

Tired. Overdid my chest this week even though i moved up weight everytime. must get plenty of rest this weekend. didnt rest well enough this week. enough said. must rest and eat better.

Chubrock
06-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Looks like a damn good workout to me bro. Great job.

McVein
06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Looking good in here Lion.

Bako Lifter
06-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Nice benchin dood. This stupid thing doesn't show up in my user cp!!!

TheLion
06-29-2007, 06:37 PM
chubs yea. i can tell i may have overdone it on the bench this week, but i wanted to keep pushing it. i'm still going to try to go up on monday, but i cant do 3 times a week each week.

mcvein thanks bro

bako lifter thats weird man. i dont know whats going on with it. i think it works for everyone else. make sure you are subscribing to it completely i guess

TheLion
07-01-2007, 12:08 AM
ok, i decided against HIIT today as well. Was pretty busy, so maybe i'll do some after the 4th. thats when my bulk will be over. went to see Chairman of the Board tonight. a few black guys singing for the whitest people i've ever seen. was one of the oddest experiences of my life. i danced with some crazy middle-aged woman. she had huge boobs though. she was kind of old, and a little pudgy, but, i would have looked if she had shown them. i'll admit to that.

TheLion
07-01-2007, 01:25 PM
my dad's letting me have his iPod, which is like an 80 gb video type. its sick. anyway, i will now have music to listen to while i'm lifting, which is going to help me a lot. i will be able to hit a lot more weight now. music really does make that much of a difference when i lift. its on now!!!

McVein
07-01-2007, 01:49 PM
what kindof tunes do you listen to man.

TheLion
07-01-2007, 01:55 PM
when i'm lifting, i listen to a little rap, a lot of screamo, and a few classical. i like a lot of mix. i just need stuff that is intense

McVein
07-01-2007, 02:00 PM
What rap do you listen to? Do you download free music? Ill point you the right way. ;)

TheLion
07-01-2007, 02:05 PM
yea, i download. kanye is good, eminem, dj danger mouse, jay-z, and some more random stuff. thats about all i have downloaded right now.

McVein
07-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Danger mouse if good, Did you download the dangerdoom stuff?

Thats the album with him and MF Doom, doom is an amazing rapper, those are some of his lyrics in my sig.
Also check out the roots, jurassic 5, immortal technique, the pharcyde.
All good rappers, Immortal technique have some good tunes for lifting.

Bako Lifter
07-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Get some of dat HYPHY shiat ni***!!! E-40, Mac Drizzay, Keak...

Nothin like some thumpin hyphy in ur ears to get you goin, haha.

TheLion
07-01-2007, 02:21 PM
i ghost ride the squat rack

McVein
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Lion, is it you that plays football....(soccer)?
Or am i remembring wrong.

TheLion
07-01-2007, 02:49 PM
yea, i play futbol/soccer

TheLion
07-02-2007, 10:27 AM
edit: iPod's suck. i can't figure this thing out. its too time consuming to try to figure out how to download and then put to iTunes and then to my iPod, and i have no idea about putting dvd's on it. i'm having to take my songs one at a time and import them to iTunes and then resync my ipod with itunes. its very time consuming. does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this. its a 80 gb video

McVein
07-02-2007, 10:32 AM
here you go boy....do you use limewire?

TheLion
07-02-2007, 08:23 PM
McVein yes

Today's Weigh-In

Only two more days till the end of my bulk, and then I can drop some of this fat.

Today's Workout

Chest/Back

BB BP (going for another PR)
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 45
1 x 7 x 95
1 x 4 x 135
1 x 5 x 155 hard. but solid
1 x 5 x 155 must stay focused
1 x 5 x 155 UNDEROATH!
1 x 5 x 155 didnt rest much between sets. was pumped, but wasted some energy
1 x 6 x 155 get off me

5 x 5 x 155 (+5 PR) WITH A BONUS REP LAST SET
commentary below

Incline DB Press
1 x 8 x 50s
1 x 6 x 50s
1 x 4 x 50s
1 x 5 x 50s

Dips
7 x bw
6 x bw+25lbs
6 x bw+25lbs
6 x bw+25lbs

Chins
BW X 5.5
BW X 4.5
BW X 2
3 negatives

T-BAR
1 X 8 X 55
1 X 8 X 55

*gym closed down. couldnt finish*

firstly, i got the 5 x 5 x 155 like i wanted. it took everything i had, but i got it. to almost everyone in here, this may seem like nothing, but to me, its a lot of improvement in a month, and it feels good. i'm going to stick with 155 for a week and see what happens and if i can move up. if i dont, i'm probably going to switch to sets of 3 and see how that works.
moved up to the 50s on incline DB press. that was hard. was kind of shot after the 5 x 5 though
dips felt strong. i use to be very good with dips, and i think i could still do better number wise, but the BP and inclines before them gets me tired.
my back exercises lacked. my gym closed before i could finish my workout. i'm going to do a full back workout wednesday to make up for it, with some lower. but overall, i was really pumped about my 5 x 5. i may max out sometime, but then again, i would love to just keep lifting until i was doing sets with my old max, and then watch my max be way higher than it was. that would be sweet. may do that. anyway. props to the new ipod for keeping me pumped.

RAARGH (thelion)

Chubrock
07-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Nooooott bad homeslice. Not bad at all.

Hydro1945
07-02-2007, 09:02 PM
good work! looking forward to seeing your progression when you're able to squat and DL next month.

TheLion
07-02-2007, 09:06 PM
chubs thanks bro

hydro i'm glad you brought that up actually. i'm not going to start in august. i'm deciding that i'm going to move up the schedule and start doing lower not next week, but the week after that. everything is looking good with my injury, so i'm going to go ahead and start it back a little sooner. i'm real pumped about that. i want to get all my numbers up, bc i know i have some real potential in my lower body. i would like to find my 3 lift total soon as well. soon enough tho, it will come

RedSpikeyThing
07-02-2007, 09:17 PM
sweet man, your bench is going up fast. How much time you take between sets?

pulse
07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
That bench is going up fast! Had you ever lifted before this month cause your lifts started pretty high?

Coke
07-03-2007, 06:36 AM
Really starting to roll with some of the upper body work, gonna do the same for legs too later on...nice job.

Bako Lifter
07-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Not bad son, just keep pushin those numbers :D.

TheLion
07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
rst thanks bro. i try to get a swig of water at the fountain between every 2 sets on bench, and i wait at least a couple minutes between each set.

pulse yea. i use to lift every once in a blue moon, but i never did hit it hard. i would always work out solid for a couple of weeks and then quit for a few months. i'd been able to get 185 on bench without really working on it much. just lifting once in a while and staying active.

coke thanks bro. yea man, the legs are going to start getting it pretty soon. i'm psyched about that. i may move it up another week and do some light work next week just because i'm real excited about doing some lower

bako lifter i mean. i got to make it do what it do. i'll never be able to catch up with you if i dont keep putting up bigger numbers

TheLion
07-04-2007, 04:06 PM
ok, so i just weighed. 163

i didn't reach my goal. its ok though. i can honestly say i didnt give it my best. i noticed that i was gaining more fat than i wanted, so i had to quit eating so much. i still put on 7 pounds in a month. i feel like i look just as lean as when i started, if not leaner. my girlfriend thinks i look much better. my bench has moved up considerably in this month's time. i'm trying to weigh my options on what i want to do as far as bulking, cut, or maintaining my weight. i don't like my body fat levels, but i'm already so small, i feel stupid cutting weight. what i'm probably going to do is go on a very slow bulk, almost maintenance for a long time. i want to really concentrate on lowering my body fat levels, but i don't want to do that at the expense of my lifting numbers, so hence the very slow bulk. i'm thinking near .5 lbs a week. i want to set a big 3 goal. its hard to set a squat and DL goal since i'm not sure to within 30 lbs of what my max is on them right now. but i'm going to make one anyway. so here it is:

MY NEW GOAL:
Bench: 225
Squat: 250
DL: 375
Total: 850

Do this by August 25th, 2007 While either maintaining BW or slightly heavier, but just as lean.

Chubrock
07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
My birthday huh. We'll get you there.

pulse
07-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Thats a nice goal man hopefully you can achieve it!

TheLion
07-05-2007, 12:06 AM
thanks guys. we'll get it there. just have to work hard. and i must make my diet much stricter. not as many carbs, more lean meat, more fruits and vegetables. i need to be ripped.

note to self: drunk people in a bar piss me off. they always say just enough to get under your skin, but never enough to justify beating the **** out of them. its like they professionally dance on that line. i must train harder.

TheLion
07-05-2007, 12:22 AM
oh, and on the lighter side. tyler hansborough and some more carolina ball players were at the bar we went to tonight. he has big eys. i'm usually not star struck or anything like that, but i'm a carolina fan and when i turn around and see tyler hansborough, it catches you by surprise. he's tall. i wanted to ask him his big 3 total and get him to come lift with me while he was in wilmington, but i was more concerned with not looking like an idiot

Bako Lifter
07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
......all the dudes on the smith machines and the bicycles scared as **** that i might get mad and throw their bodies across the gym......

C'mon skinny, I wouldn't be scared of some ripped up 165 pounder ;).
Just kiddin', I'm sure this is only a detour to the main destination.

TheLion
07-05-2007, 10:34 AM
C'mon skinny, I wouldn't be scared of some ripped up 165 pounder ;).
Just kiddin', I'm sure this is only a detour to the main destination.

absolutely. i do not want to be at 165, however, i have too much body fat at my weight right now. i dont want to lose a lot of weight to get rid of it bc 165 is still really small for my height. but i dont want to bulk right now and just add more body fat, so i'm going to maintain for now. once i get my body fat levels reasonable, i'll go on a slow bulk so i can get bigger, but i dont want to do it now and just put on more than what i've already got. and come talk to me when YOU get to 165.:hump:

TheLion
07-08-2007, 01:25 PM
ok, so wednesday, i forgot that bc it was 4th of july the gym would be closed, so i worked out thursday at home with my dad in a crappy country club gym. i was kind of half dicking around just lifting with him. he's huge, but is WAY out of shape, so i'm trying to get him lifting. they didnt have half of what i usually work out with, but i had to make do. but here's the workout

THURSDAY'S WORKOUT

LAT PULL DOWNS
1 X 10 X 75
1 X 10 X 100
3 X 5 X 137.5
1 X 8 X 112.5

SMITH MACHINE BENCH bar weight = 15 lbs
1 x 10 x 85
1 x 10 x 105
1 x 1 x 175

CHINS
BW X 6
BW X 5.5

DB ROWS each arm
1 X 10 X 40s
1 X 10 X 50s

BB ROWS (on smith machine. didnt work well)
1 X 10 X 105
1 X 10 X 125
1 X 5 X 165

DB ROWS (AGAIN)
2 X 10 X 50s

LYING DB PULLS? (45 degree angle pulling towards my chest)
1 x 10 x 30s
2 x 10 x 35s

LEG EXTENSIONS
1 X 10 X 62.5
1 X 5 X 100
1 X 5 X 125
1 X 5 X 150

SEATED LEG PRESS
1 X 10 X 180
1 X 7 X 220
1 X 5 X 260
1 X 3 X 320

Ab work

Ok. Ridiculous workout. Bad place to lift in, but it was all i had. I got a lot of back work in which is what i wanted, and i tried a little with legs and concluded that i will definitely start doing lower body again this week. I'll probably start slow, but go full speed within a week or two.

McVein
07-08-2007, 01:29 PM
How comes youre benching with the smith man?

TheLion
07-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Saturday Workout 7/07/07

Chest 2 REP ME/ Shoulders/ Bis/ Tris

BB BP
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 5 X 45
1 X 7 X 95
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 4 X 135
1 X 2 X 155
1 X 2 X 165
1 X 2 X 175
1 X 2 X 185 (+1 REP)

STANDING OH PRESS form work
1 X 8 X 45
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 5 X 105
1 X 5 X 105
1 X 5 X 115
1 X 5 X 115

CGBP w/ 2 Doubled #2 bands
1 X 10 X 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 10 x 85
1 x 10 x 125 (NO BANDS)

BB CURLS
3 X 10 X 55

Great session. Worked out with my roommate Chubrock at his home gym. Good workout for both of us. I did what was my max nearly a month ago, for a double. So that made me pretty happy. Was good to have someone to help me with my form on my OH Presses. I kept tweaking my left arm when i would do them, so i got him to help me figure out how to solve that problem. really happy with how my OH presses feel now. first time i ever lifted with bands. it was interesting. definitely burned the triceps. looking forward to tomorrow. i have to figure out what i'm going to do for chest. may try a 5 x 5 x 160. not sure yet. we'll see

TheLion
07-08-2007, 05:27 PM
mcvein yea. about that. that was on thursday's session. i didnt have anywhere to lift bc i came home to see my parents, and the only place to lift was at some crappy country club gym and they had no free weights. only dbs. plus, i was dicking around with my dad, so i wasnt too concerned about the smith

Bako Lifter
07-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Nice benching small fry.

TheLion
07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
bako lifter 149. you may be stronger, but i'm still bigger than you. go eat a shake. i'm going to catch you one day, and then you'll be sad

Bako Lifter
07-08-2007, 09:27 PM
:p Oh, but I'm gonna be all caught up first. I'll be weighing in at ~170 before you can say -

"If I had one wish, I would wish I were as cool, strong, and studly as the great Bako Lifter"

:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

TheLion
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
i'm going to find consolation in being able to deadlift more than you

Bako Lifter
07-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Bring it pip squeak.

:p:D

TheLion
07-08-2007, 09:36 PM
its on. i may DL max tomorrow and get 350, just to piss you off

TheLion
07-09-2007, 04:48 AM
WEEKLY WEIGH-IN

Pretty Good. +1.2 lbs.
Don't really want to be gaining much more than this. i think some of it may be water weight. pretty happy. got a good session tonight. can't wait to see what happens

Coke
07-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Gaining gradually the way you are is sweet, keep it up...good push day effort finished off by some curls.

Chubrock
07-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Damn nice session the other day. Be careful tonight with your first session back. I know you want to smoke Bako but you'll do it soon enough. Don't go and hurt yourself.

TheLion
07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
coke thanks bro.

chubs yea. i'm not going to do a DL max. i'm going to go pretty light for this first week especially. i will probably throw in some deads today tho. maybe some RDLs too, but just go light in order to ease back into things. i'm not worried about it, i'll pwn him soon enough:hump:

TheLion
07-09-2007, 01:48 PM
TODAY'S WORKOUT

*1ST DAY BACK WITH DEADS*

BB BP
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 7 X 45
1 X 7 X 95
1 X 5 X 135
1 X 7 X 155
1 X 2 X 175
1 X 3 X 175
1 X 12 X 135
(decided to switch the bench up and just did some random weight. i felt exhausted today in the gym.)

INCLINE DB PRESS
2 X 5 X 50s (exhausted)

DL
1 X 5 X 135 (+135 PR)
1 X 5 X 185 (+185 PR)
1 X 5 X 225 (+225 PR)
1 X 3 X 275 (+275 PR)
1 X 1 X 295 (+295 PR)
1 X 1 X 315 (+315 LB PR!!!!)

T-BAR
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 8 X 55
1 X 8 X 55
1 X 7 X 65

WOWZERZZ!!! MAN, A 315 LB PR!!!! that brings my total to an amazing 505. but seriously, that isnt my real DL max. i just tried to keep going until it felt kind of heavy. 315 did, so i stopped. didnt want to push it too hard being my first day back on deads. stayed up late last night and got up real early this morning studying for a test i had, so i didnt have much in me for this session. will do much better next time. right now, i need some sleep.

Chubrock
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Dude you're a friggin monster. What's your secret?

Bako Lifter
07-09-2007, 02:48 PM
:hide:

Hydro1945
07-09-2007, 02:52 PM
315 DL after a layoff? damn boy, you go!

Chubrock
07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Let me tell ya'll. TheLion is built for pulling.

RedSpikeyThing
07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
congrats man, 315 is heavy!!

TheLion
07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
CHUBS my secret. is a secret. i'm trying to up my DL by 315 lbs each month. should be interesting. this month is a check

bako lifter HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I WILL EAT YOUR FACE!!!

hydro man. i can tell it has been too long. 315 should not have felt as heavy as it did, but it will come back soon enough.

chubs part.II and you were built for chins

rst much appreciated bro. now if i can only get my squat up to par

Bako Lifter
07-09-2007, 04:09 PM
but it will come back
watchoo talkin bout Lion?

McVein
07-09-2007, 04:12 PM
If anyone around here will be deadlifting more than bako lifter, itll be me, thankyou very much.

TheLion
07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
bakoback in the day i could DL like 345 or 355, cant remember. its been a long time since i lifted, but i think it should come back pretty quick

mcvein i'll race you. and i dont even know where you're at

Bako Lifter
07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
bakoback in the day i could DL like 345 or 355, cant remember. its been a long time since i lifted, but i think it should come back pretty quick

mcvein i'll race you. and i dont even know where you're at

McVein is at 4 plates. :smoke:

TheLion
07-09-2007, 06:36 PM
so, he's already got it. whats he talking about?

pulse
07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Holy crap! Nice deads... but a 315lb pr? Ive seen better..

Kidding!

Clifford Gillmore
07-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Don't get too satisfied with 3 wheels. I see 4 wheels and I want, I'll have 5 and I'll want 10. SFW!

TheLion
07-10-2007, 08:14 AM
pulse yea man.

risk yea. i was completely sarcastic. i will be shooting for 405 in a couple of months hopefully.

Cirino83
07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
woah awesome pr man. solid effort

TheLion
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
cirino thanks man. even though i wasnt going for a PR. even if i would have just done the curl bar it would have been a PR

McVein
07-10-2007, 10:38 AM
4 plates dawg, whatchu know about that

TheLion
07-10-2007, 11:40 AM
i don't know about that. i will soon, hopefully. but mad props for 4 plates at your size. thats pretty sweet, oh, and i forgot to congratulate you on your 1 yr anniversary of WBB. so congrats

Sidior
07-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Nice ****ing pull! Anytime you add another plate it is a big milestone.

Jaybird88
07-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Grats on the PR, bro. Seems we are both doin alright these days. Keep it up!

P.S.
I haven't scanned your journal as close as I should, but where are you lifting?

McVein
07-10-2007, 12:10 PM
i don't know about that. i will soon, hopefully. but mad props for 4 plates at your size. thats pretty sweet, oh, and i forgot to congratulate you on your 1 yr anniversary of WBB. so congrats

Thanks man, Im sure you have a lot more in you, for me deadlifting is a mental thing rather than a physical. if that makes any sense.

TheLion
07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
sidior i think you may be confused. this is my first max. i appreciate the kind words, but i cant mislead any longer

jaybird i lift in my university gym in wilmington, nc

mcvein yea. i may try to pull a higher number for 1 next week. i didnt have my usual stance and i didnt really push myself. 335 is probably a closer max number for me right now. i just havent tried it since yesterday was my first day back with deads

TheLion
07-11-2007, 08:31 PM
1st DAY BACK WITH SQUATS!!!

TODAY'S WORKOUT

*jogged about a mile and then walked another to get to my gym. was about 100 degrees outside, so it was probably not a good idea*

SQUATS below or at parallel, not quite ATF
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 5 X 135
1 X 3 X 165
1 X 2 X 185
1 X 1 X 205
1 X 1 X 225
1 X 1 X 230 (PR!!!)

RDL double overhand
1 X 5 X 45
1 X 3 X 135
1 X 5 X 155
1 X 3 X 185
1 X 5 X 185
1 X 5 X 185 had some lower back tenderness, so i stopped

BB LUNGES
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 10 X 95
1 X 10 X 105

CALF RAISES on smith machine
2 X 10 X 90
1 X 10 X 110
1 X 12 X 110

STATIONARY BIKE
5 MILES
3.5 MILES NORMAL PACE
1.5 MILES HIIT (20 sec sprint. 10 sec recovery. 8 SETS 4 MINUTES)

*walked back to my house*

ok. i could probably right a few pages about today's workout. had a run in with the people at the gym bc i forgot my id card and had to pay $5 to lift. long story. got a pretty decent squat max i feel. haven't done squats in a while so i was happy with this max. legs felt solid. probably do a 5 x 5 next week. decided to torture myself for some reason today and do what was intense biking for me. most people it would probably be nothing, but i was drained. the initial jog to the gym was not smart. i took time to rest once i got to the gym, so the squats felt strong. was really sweaty so my grip kept slipping on the RDLs, but i stuck to a double overhand in order to work on my grip. my lower back was sore from the deads monday, so i cut the RDLs a little short, but i was real happy with how they felt. felt AWESOME to get back to doing a good lower workout. i cant explain my joy. i feel very confident about reaching my goal of a 250 squat max by august 25th. feels good to be back to normal

jed
07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Sweet squats man grats on the PR :) Movin' on up!

Bako Lifter
07-11-2007, 09:40 PM
How the f*** do you just walk in the gym after never doing squats and just bust out a max of 230?

Give us the story behind you. You're an ex-powerlifter that's getting back into the game after a few years off, aren't you?

Chubrock
07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Hahaha. He's squatted before, just had a layoff.

TheLion
07-11-2007, 09:51 PM
jed yea. i might could have gotten a few more lbs, but i didnt really feel like failing

bako i've never seriously lifted for more than a couple of months at a time, but i mean, i'm 21, i played soccer and baseball when i was in high school. i grew up with a little country strength in me which is why my legs have decent strength. i've always been able to pull a decent amount. i'm not sure where this squat PR came from. i'll admit, i was pleasantly surprised. i probably havent done a squat in a few months, but i use to do a workout every few weeks. i always stayed pretty active after high school until a few months ago, and i just stopped really doing stuff and just got lazy, so i decided to start lifting. plus, i listened to GNR "welcome to the jungle" while i was squatting today. thats probably the biggest reason. but really, i've done squats before, so i know how to do it, and know basic proper form. i've never seriously done them consistently, so i'm hoping i can increase my squats rapidly. same with my DL, once i get my form correct

chubs layoff is the understatement of the century. i probably didnt do 5 lower body workouts all last year! sad, but you could probably say garrett did more than me

Bako Lifter
07-11-2007, 10:05 PM
bako plus, i listened to GNR "welcome to the jungle" while i was squatting today. thats probably the biggest reason.
Ooooooooooh. That's why, lol.

but really, i've done squats before, so i know how to do it, and know basic proper form.
Well I kind of knew you've done them before.... but still. That's not fair.

jed
07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
plus, i listened to GNR "welcome to the jungle" while i was squatting today. thats probably the biggest reason.

UR MAI HERO!

pulse
07-11-2007, 11:01 PM
1 X 3 X 165
^ This is where you had me beat. I died laughing at the ex-powerlifter comment bako hahahah. I was thinking the same exact exact thing. Dont worry ill catch up (in a year..). Awesome workout nevertheless! haha

Rock Steady
07-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Squats are like crack. How did you ever stop doing them!? :)

Hopefully not an injury.

Coke
07-12-2007, 06:28 AM
Excellent depletion via running/walking before the big return to squats, super and intense training day overall!!

Chubrock
07-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Squats are like crack. How did you ever stop doing them!? :)

Hopefully not an injury.

Haha he did injure himself, but it was more the fact that he grew a vagina for awhile.

I do think Garrett may have squatted more than you last year, which is not good. That will be different this year.

On a side note, Guitar Center Saturday? I want to go ahead and get one as soon as possible. Figured I'd get you to ride up there with me.

TheLion
07-12-2007, 07:14 AM
bako yea. i mean, i'm pretty much going to have caught you by christmas

jed must be a GNR fan. "DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!!?!??"

rock steady yea. well i've had an injury for the past month. a fizzure (sp?). its basically a small tear in my butthole (not pecker induced), and i was told not to do squats or deads for 6 weeks, but i feel fine now, so i moved the schedule up a couple of weeks. before the injury, i just wasnt real into lifting weights in general, so i didnt do much of anything

coke i'm not even sure what that means, but THANKS!

chubs i'll answer all inquirees, if you dont mind, or even if you do. I DONT CARE. I WILL PWN YOU!!! THREAD DEGENERATOR!!!!!
but on a serious note, i'm not sure about saturday. probably not. i'll most likely be doing some yard work and what not around back home. i wish i could, but we just got too much crap to take care of back home. come down to wilmington this weekend and look. we're camping out on carolina beach. bring sara. garretts coming down. actually, thats a damn good idea. i'm going to call you later and convince you of this

Chubrock
07-12-2007, 07:31 AM
That'll never work man. Come back some in the afternoons and start on it. I need somebody that knows what they're looking at haha.

TheLion
07-12-2007, 07:36 AM
call steve vai. nah, we'll see what happens. p.s. i just mapped out a plan to have surpassed you by this time next year. and a plan to give me a 1000 total by christmas. i think

Bako Lifter
07-12-2007, 07:40 AM
well i've had an injury for the past month. a fizzure (sp?). its basically a small tear in my butthole (not pecker induced)

Geez, man. You had me ROFLing.

Chubrock
07-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Haha good luck with the 1000 by Christmas. If you do it, that'll be awesome.

Clifford Gillmore
07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
call steve vai.

I played for the Love of God note for note and Vai appeared in front of me. Not drug induced, AT ALL.

TheLion
07-12-2007, 07:50 AM
bakolifter i have to keep them coming, since you took my quote out of your sig. i was just going to reference your sig to give you some press, but, i couldnt do it, because you dont love me anymore

chubs yea, my totals would tentatively be b/s/dl/t 275/315/410/1000. i would need to put on like 5 lbs a week to my bench w/ no breaks, and even more than that for squat and DL. if i do it, i will be BUSTING BALLS!!!

RISK i lol'ed. seriously. maybe one of the few times ever. some reason, this made me chuckle. BUT. I can one up you.
I played, the movie Crossroads, both Steve Vai and the karate kid's guitar solo, AT THE SAME TIME!!! man, the walls turned different colors, their were lights everywhere. i actually got scared, but now my guitar is made of pure gold

Cirino83
07-12-2007, 08:01 AM
awesome work man. nice way to jump back to the squats

TheLion
07-12-2007, 08:11 AM
awesome work man. nice way to jump back to the squats

thanks bro

Guido
07-12-2007, 08:56 AM
"Welcome to the Jungle" is always good for at least an additional 5 lbs on squats. You might've had 235, though, if you hadn't jogged a mile on the way there.

"Do you know where you are? You're in the jungle baby. We're gonna bring you dooooown." - Great song.

TheLion
07-12-2007, 09:43 AM
guido yea. i probably could have gotten 235 if it hadnt been for the running, but i can get a oarking ticket if i park on campus, and i really dont need another one of those, hence the running. it was a weird feeling under the bar yesterday. probably due to the running plus the fact it was my first time back in over a month. i think in a couple of weeks i'll be able to get a decently larger number as soon as i get my legs back. feel really sore today, lol

RedSpikeyThing
07-12-2007, 08:42 PM
nice PR! You'll hit 250 in no time man. Hit the hams and glutes hard, work on your technique and presto, +20 lbs to your squat

Hydro1945
07-12-2007, 11:13 PM
well done! it took me a year to go from about a 155 max to 225 for a few reps, but you got 2 pps from the jump! attaboy!

TheLion
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
rst i believe you. i'm going to do that exactly. i think the squat will actually be the easiest of my goals to reach, and when i set them i thought it would be the hardest

hydro thanks bro. but i have to ask, whats pps mean?? sorry, still slightly a noob:)

Twan
07-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Way to edit your original post. It was a little too nuts in my opinion.

Clifford Gillmore
07-13-2007, 05:06 AM
RISK i lol'ed. seriously. maybe one of the few times ever. some reason, this made me chuckle. BUT. I can one up you.
I played, the movie Crossroads, both Steve Vai and the karate kid's guitar solo, AT THE SAME TIME!!! man, the walls turned different colors, their were lights everywhere. i actually got scared, but now my guitar is made of pure gold

I used be able to play Eugene's Trick Bag, maybe only 10bpm slower than the vai recording. I'm not very good and pretty much gave up because of my lack of creative talent :(

TheLion
07-13-2007, 08:52 AM
twan just PGed it. yea

risk man, never give up! i've been playing guitar for about 7 years now. i play the blues pretty well, but as far as shredding like vai, satriani, malmsteen, michelangelo, and all those phenoms, i'm nowhere close! its still fun tho. and i may get there one day

Hydro1945
07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
:read: the wbb dictionary says: pps = plates per side :thumbup:

TheLion
07-13-2007, 01:17 PM
:read: the wbb dictionary says: pps = plates per side :thumbup:

thank you sir

TheLion
07-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Friday's Workout

CHEST MAX/SHOULDERS/BIS/TRIS

BB BP
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 5 X 45
1 X 7 X 95
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 3 X 115
1 X 3 X 135
1 X 1 X 165
1 X 1 X 180
1 X 1 X 195 (+5 PR)
1 X 0 X 205 failed. VERY CLOSE, but not quite. Triceps let me down
1 X 0 X 205 failed again. not close

STANDING OH PRESS
1 X 8 X 45
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 5 X 115
1 X 5 X 125

CGBP
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 10 X 115
1 X 10 X 125
1 X 10 X 135 PR
1 X 6 X 145 PR

BB CURLS
3 X 10 X 55

Ok, weird session yesterday. Lifted with my dad and chubs. Not as intense and focused as a workout as usual bc my dad was there. honestly, i think it really kept me from focusing and getting 205. i think if i give it this next week and get fresh, i can probably get it. i only got 4 hours of sleep the night before yesterday's session, so that probably didnt help. i'm really going to have to hit it super hard to set my goals, but i'm going to try my best. i'm glad i went ahead and set a small PR in bench first to insure a PR before i jumped up. CGBP felt really good for some reason today. i've been struggling with 125 lately, but not this workout. i've never done 135 or 145 before, and they both felt pretty good. so that is a positive. must eat a lot and rest a lot this weekend!!!

RedSpikeyThing
07-14-2007, 08:57 AM
congrats dude, your bench is going up very fast.

Coke
07-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Solid numbers with the push day work and curls dude.

TheLion
07-16-2007, 08:34 AM
rst thanks bro. hopefully it will keep going like it is

coke thanks man

TheLion
07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
i'm alive, took a couple of days off lifting. body has just been tired. had a paper or test every day this week and i have a huge project due monday. must sleep and eat well.

TheLion
07-19-2007, 11:16 AM
funniest benching video i've ever seen. mainly bc this guy is serious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IwJ3Aj2XrQ&mode=related&search=

Hydro1945
07-19-2007, 10:56 PM
lol, great vid especially when he was trying to wedge the bar off. enjoy the rest! and then get back at it hard.

Bako Lifter
07-20-2007, 07:22 PM
1 X 0 X 205 failed. VERY CLOSE, but not quite. Triceps let me down
1 X 0 X 205 failed again. not close

Hit the triceps w/ some Kaz Presses skinny. Good job on the PR though, I just noticed it. Don't know why I didn't see earlier. Put them in RED! ;)

TheLion
07-21-2007, 01:15 PM
yea. i'm probably going to experiment with them. thanks

TheLion
07-23-2007, 10:35 PM
OK, i'm back. took a week off. time to get back at it.

NEW SPLIT. tell me what you think. will tweak as i go along, but here's how its looking to go. i want to get in the gym more and work harder for my time in there, so here it is.

mon-chest
tues-back
wed-legs
thurs-shoulder/bis/tris
frid-mobility work/accessory/possible ME day

so with that shown, here's my 1st workout in over a week

CHEST

BB BP
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 5 X 45
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 5 X 95
1 X 7 X 135
1 X 5 X 155 hard
1 X 5 X 155 harder
1 X 5 X 145 unexpectedly hard
1 X 4 X 145 sad
1 X 5 X 135 more sad
1 X 5 X 135 experimented w/ grip
1 X 3 X 135 same

INCLINE DB PRESS
5 X 5 X 45s

DIPS
BW X 5
BW +25 X 8

TRICEP CABLE EXTENSIONS
1 X 10 X 45
1 X 10 X 90
1 X 8 X 105
1 X 4 X 120
1 X 8 X 90

ROTATOR CUFF WORK

PUSH UPS

cooldown with basketball to loosen up my arms
rode bike

couldn't really expect more for a first session back in just over a week. everything felt heavy and it really shocked my body, but things will be better next week. looking forward to tomorrow. may push for a new DL max if i'm feeling it. if not, i'll just go heavy reps. we'll see what happens. oh, and yay or nay on the split with comments

Coke
07-24-2007, 06:19 AM
New split doesn't look bad, though a rest day between back & legs would be better imo...good chest & tri day.

Cirino83
07-24-2007, 07:46 AM
I agree with coke. But overall nice work.

Chubrock
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
If your goals are still the same as the ones you showed me at the office, I'd go with a different split than the one you have outlined. If they've changed, completely ignore what I just said.

Bako Lifter
07-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Glad to see ya back Lion, seems like you've been quiet lately. :thumbup:

TheLion
07-24-2007, 03:19 PM
coke thanks.
cirino thanks.
chubs thanks, and my goals are the same. so whats wrong with that split.
bako yea, i have. but i'm back, and may the malarky begin again.

going to tweak my split. the reason i want to change it up is because i feel like my back is weak. by doing only chest on monday, i could be energized on tuesday to isolate my back and really get at it. but after my back work today, i realize i'm going to need a rest day in between today and my next workout. i used monday to really focus on my chest and did some assistance work as well. today i tried to focus on hitting all of my back, even though i gassed easy today. i will rest tomorrow, maybe do some grip work if i get bored out of my mind tomorrow, or do some cardio. and thursday, i want to hit my legs. friday will be shoulders, bis, and tris. and saturday and sunday will be rest, with some possible mobility exercises or some accessory work on saturdays. well anyway, here's todays workout

BACK

SUMO DL
BW X 12
BAR X 12
135 X 5
185 X 5
225 X 5
275 X 3
315 X 1
345 X 1 (+30 PR)

CHINS
BW X 8
BW X 6
BW X 5

T-BAR
1 X 10 X 45
3 X 8 X 55

CABLE ROWS
3 X 8 X 105

HYPER EXT
3 X 10 X BW+25LBS

ok. not surprised with the DL PR. knew i had that. sumo felt pretty good. 345 felt heavy. had to concentrate too much on my grip from slipping. was a solid lift. chins was my best session yet, so i'm pumped about that. hyper extensions were lovely. really nailed my lower back. so, despite the fact that i gassed early, which i could expect after a week layoff, today was a good day.

Guido
07-24-2007, 03:25 PM
That's an assload of volume on your chest day! I'd cut it back some.

Nice PR on your DL, though. A 30lb increase is no joke.

Bako Lifter
07-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Holy fcuk. You already matched my old PR.... :redface:

Hydro1945
07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
nice dl'ing lion. don't take the pulling strength for granted; it's a great gift to have! 300 seems a world away for me right now.

new split looks to have the major compound lifts, which is def a good thing.

Coke
07-25-2007, 06:49 AM
Nice jump with the deads man.