PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter Challenge Training

SCFIREFIGHTER
06-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Guys I'm currently training for the firefighter challenge. I'm in the process of cutting weight, from 250 down to 205-215. I was just wondering what type of routine would work best for this type of event. Basically it's 2 minutes of just balls to the wall, get after their ass, work. I fairly decent right now as I can do the course in around 2:30. But that does nothing at these competitions. I feel sure that dropping the 35 lbs of fat is gonna drop my time a lot but I just wanted to know some routine to do in the gym. I know a lot of the elite guys do Crossfit type stuff. Anyways here's a video to let you know what i'm talking about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wsx3lihkoJY

Scooter
06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I know a lot of the elite guys do Crossfit type stuff.

You already know the answer

Guido
06-05-2007, 08:26 AM
You could do some strongman type training, too. Pull some weighted sleds, carry some big sandbags, push or pull a car, flip some big tires. All of that stuff will help.

Irish Grip
06-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Would this be the "Combat Firefighters Challenge" that is on ESPN every now and then?? If so, my hat is off to you. Dropping the extra weight will do wonders for you times. Training in your bunker gear would also help.

Fred

SCFIREFIGHTER
06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeh, it's the Combat Challenge. How much low intensity cardio, if any, would ya'll recommend.

Anthony
06-06-2007, 03:04 AM
Practically none ... unless you can show me when you're performing low intensity cardio during that 2 minute event.

The elite guys are using CrossFit for a reason - it works.

Interesting fact: the elite guys are also using less oxygen than their slower competitors. Most athletes wouldn't give a rats ass about that, but when you're using an oxygen tank, it's a huge factor ...

Good luck!

markdk86
06-06-2007, 05:34 AM
Crossfit and maybe some stair training with the weighted vest and added weight of a high-rise pack. I remember when I took the firefighter physical that I burned out after the stairs with the weight of bunker gear and the high-rise pack. I would practice it to make sure you have plenty of juice left.

Rusty
06-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Train with your SCBA on. It's a huge limiting factor for mobility, so get used to it. Hill sprints and sled drags are good. When you're going balls to the wall for two minutes, low intensity cardio will do nothing for you.

Don't over look practising for the keiser machine. A lot of time can be made/lost there.

Don't ever worry about air conservation. You're not in a fire, and you're not going to drain a half hour bottle in two minutes. I go through air like a fat kid goes through a pan of brownies.

Irish Grip
06-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Basically what they said, low intensity cardio will not help. Gear up and push it as hard as you can. Carry two hose packs instead one and up more stairs, use a heavier sledge, pull a bigger charged line, drag a heavier dummy.

AND most of all, let us know when you will be on TV!

Fred