PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Hips and Groin

Chubrock
06-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Any suggestions on keeping my hips and groin healthy? I both squat and pull sumo and lately my hips and groin area have been aching during the workout. It really doesn't bother me later in the day but during the workout I do get a bit of an aching. I've considered picking up some briefs but I'd really like to stay raw as long as possible since my numbers aren't all that great.

Sensei
06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Exercise, load, volume/intensity variation & rest (i.e. periodization) = Don't do too much too soon or too long. Stretching and mobility drills. Ice (and heat). Massage. Electro-stim (personally never tried it on my groin, but hey whatever trips your trigger...). Warm-up and cool-down.

Clifford Gillmore
06-06-2007, 03:10 AM
I do firehydrants before squatting and deadlifting, do you dynamic stretch?

ericg
06-06-2007, 06:06 AM
I have pretty tight hips and I know when i am regular in doing some hip mobility stuff it helps A TON.

Fire Hydrants (like Risk said)

Hip mobility over bench: (from Jim Wendler at elitefts.com) All you are going to do is lift your leg backwards and forwards over the bench. Keep your knee bent and try to get a large ROM. If your mobility is so bad that you can't make it over a bench then start with something smaller.
http://asp.elitefts.com/images/upload/qa/Hip%20Mobiilty.jpg

http://asp.elitefts.com/images/upload/qa/Hip%20Mobility.jpg

Leg Swings: front to back and side to side

Samson Stretch: http://www.dietsite.com/dt/exerciseplanner/pics/animations/stretch13.jpg

Scorpions: (from an Eric Cressey post in T-Nation) Lie facedown on the ground with the legs straight and together while the arms are extended to the side at 90- degree angles to the body. Initiate the movement by squeezing the glute and swinging the one leg back and over the opposite leg and your torso. Touch the toe to the ground and then return to the starting position.

Really focus on keeping the opposite hip and shoulders down while performing this exercise. Remember that our primary goal here is to get our glute muscles firing better, not seeing how far we can wrench our spine to increase the ROM! Nonetheless, once your dynamic flexibility comes around, you may very well be able to touch your foot to the opposite hand.

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/04-053-training/image010.jpg

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/04-053-training/image011.jpg

I also do some squats with no weight focusing on a good stretch in the bottom position.

Chubrock
06-06-2007, 06:30 AM
I like the suggestions so far guys. Appreciate it. I do a bit of stretching but may need to up it a bit.

I really think it comes from how wide my squatting stance it. My sumo stance, while not the widest I've ever seen, is plenty wide.

Guido
06-06-2007, 07:54 AM
I do firehydrants before squatting and deadlifting, do you dynamic stretch?Fire Hydrants? Is that where you lift up one leg and pretend you're pissing on a fire hydrant like a dog? :D

Seriously, I haven't heard of those.

Ironminded
06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
You might also consider some Foam rolling. I started doing this about a year ago and it has made a ton of difference in how my hip-structure feels during squats and deads. Hitting the hip extensors and It band helps a lot.

pberge
06-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Fire Hydrants? Is that where you lift up one leg and pretend you're pissing on a fire hydrant like a dog? :D

That's exactly what a fire hydrant is.
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=40984&tid=105

TommyBoy
06-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree with all he advice given. If you do decide to go away from the raw lifting for a while, I'd definitely recommend some briefs. You don't need to get the best one's on the market, hell even the inzer groove briefs (or inzer diapers as I call them) will help ease the pain in the hips. I'd also recommend getting some blue heat, rub that stuff on your hips/groin before lifting, as it will aid in getting more blood pumped around the problem area.

Clifford Gillmore
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Fire Hydrants? Is that where you lift up one leg and pretend you're pissing on a fire hydrant like a dog? :D

Yup. Works even better if you do urinate while doing the motion!

Guido
06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
That's exactly what a fire hydrant is.
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=40984&tid=105Sweet.

Guido
06-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Any suggestions on keeping my hips and groin healthy?Another suggestion: sex. Lots of sex. :hump:

Chubrock
06-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Haha probably the best suggestion yet Guido.

Built
06-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Maybe not RIGHT before you train, though. Kinda hard to conjure up angry sexual aggression in the weight room when you're all relaxed, and lovey ...

Sensei
06-07-2007, 11:35 AM
There are a lot of good dynamic warm-up routines - I'm sure there are a few for free online. I'll see what I can dig up... I like dynamic warm-up routines, but by the time I'm done with the warm-up, I'm done...

ericg
06-07-2007, 11:42 AM
There are a lot of good dynamic warm-up routines - I'm sure there are a few for free online. I'll see what I can dig up... I like dynamic warm-up routines, but by the time I'm done with the warm-up, I'm done...

Haha, great point Sensei. They can take a lot out of you but it is well worth it.

Sensei
06-07-2007, 12:07 PM
I agree, but tailor them to fit your needs.

This is the best I could do with a short search. The second link is based off (and has stills from) Mark Verstegen's (sp?) "Dynamic Tennis Warm-Up" DVD which is excellent. For those that haven't done or seen one, dynamic warms always include a lot of calisthenics, yoga-stretches, lunge-like and crawl-like movements.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/warm-up-activity.htm

http://www.mcps.k12.va.us/~dhagen/Warm-ups.pdf

Chubrock
06-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Steve Maxwell's Joint Mobility was a really good warmup for all the grappling we did. The dvd isn't the cheapest thing in the world but it was quite good, IMO.

TommyBoy
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Maybe not RIGHT before you train, though. Kinda hard to conjure up angry sexual aggression in the weight room when you're all relaxed, and lovey ...
relaxed and lovey.....what does that have to do with sex?

Built
06-07-2007, 04:28 PM
After honey, when you're spent. Yanno, from ... Oh, maybe your folks and you haven't had "the talk".

It starts like this: "Tommy my boy, when a mommie and daddy love each other very much ...

;)

TommyBoy
06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I was being sarcastic Built....jeez....I don't know what you're talking about...I'm usually up for some deadlifts after I'm done.

There's nothing relaxed and lovey about sex....I consider it like a ME workout, only I'm using upper and lower body on this day.....and it's usually done for one long set.

Built
06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
That would explain your weak, piss-poor performance in the gym then.

;)

TommyBoy
06-07-2007, 04:41 PM
You know, for a woman, you've got balls saying that...tuttut

Built
06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
<giggles>

Talking_God
06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Powerlifting is my favorite forum lol..

Since I, like Chubs apparently, seem to ache a bit when I do squats (I have a fairly wide stance), after doing some stretches is it conceivable that my squat weight could increase? It seems to me that my hips are the weak point. Although, after not being able to squat for about a month (I've had to work out at home when I had the time) my squat has gone up 50 lbs, I suppose I have a lot of alternate excercises to thank for that.

I will definitely attempt some of these stretches though, I'm glad I came across this thread.

CarlP
06-10-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't have any pain during my workout exactly, but my hips just aren't flexible. These should also improve flexibility right?

ericg
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
for sure!

Mad Max
06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Glute activation work helps also.

I started developing hip problems after my back injury. I did a bit of research and found that due to the injury my hip adductors were being forced to compensate for my lower back and glutes. What this meant was that my hip adductors were always tense meaning the tendons were tight. This led to horrible pain during squats.
So I went away and did a combination of bw squats, basic groin stretches like bring your knee up ttoward your shoulder and simply adopting a deep squat position whilst supporting myself for a minute or so. On top of this i did glute bridges to make sure my glutes were active. I do thise 3-4 times a week, and always before my squat session.
I've also read about being able to relieve tension in the adductors by placing direct pressure on them with some sort of hard object. I so it with my fists. Not sure if it helps much.

Sensei
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Glute activation work helps also.

I started developing hip problems after my back injury. I did a bit of research and found that due to the injury my hip adductors were being forced to compensate for my lower back and glutes. What this meant was that my hip adductors were always tense meaning the tendons were tight. This led to horrible pain during squats.
So I went away and did a combination of bw squats, basic groin stretches like bring your knee up ttoward your shoulder and simply adopting a deep squat position whilst supporting myself for a minute or so. On top of this i did glute bridges to make sure my glutes were active. I do thise 3-4 times a week, and always before my squat session.
I've also read about being able to relieve tension in the adductors by placing direct pressure on them with some sort of hard object. I so it with my fists. Not sure if it helps much.
Good advice. I think there are a lot of "quad squatters" out there that should listen to this... I think that most dynamic warm-ups will do a pretty good job of loosen up the adductors and hip-flexors, but (to me) it goes without saying that if you are tight in the area, you need to be doing traditional slow, static stretching somewhere too.

Maki Riddington
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Good advice. I think there are a lot of "quad squatters" out there that should listen to this... I think that most dynamic warm-ups will do a pretty good job of loosen up the adductors and hip-flexors, but (to me) it goes without saying that if you are tight in the area, you need to be doing traditional slow, static stretching somewhere too.

Foam roll, dynamic mobility drills then stretch a bit.

RedSpikeyThing
06-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Foam roll, dynamic mobility drills then stretch a bit.

What kind of mobility drills would be helpful? I'm very behind in my flexibility and mobility, but am lost when it comes to exercises/routines to fix it. Do you have any helpful links? The ones Sensei posted were quite helpful, thanks.