PDA

View Full Version : Question for you crossfitters

Hephaestus
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I was just looking at crossfit and it looks interesting. I'm not switching to it right now, but maybe sometime in the future. Anyways what do you guys do when you don't have access to something such as rings? Or like i saw an example of a workout that said you had to do 20 pullups and 25 wall shots. What happens when you don't have a 20lb medicine ball and a big enough room to complete that? I am just interested in it for the future, but if i can't do a few of the exercises i don't know if its worth doing at this point. Thanks all.

muscleup
06-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I would recommend reading the FAQ (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html) section on crossfit.com. It should answer most of your questions.

markdk86
06-05-2007, 01:53 PM
FAQ gives you subsitutions.

ericg
06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Listen to these two.

PLUS

Read THIS (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=97663) thread and pay particular attention to Anthony's posts. They will give you a better understanding of what CrossFit is.

Hephaestus
06-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Ok i am really interested in this now. Almost done with my Bill starr's 5x5. I think im going to start a crossfit routine. WOD would be great but not everything on there i have access to but maybe i will follow to it to an extent. Anyones advice on constructing this would be GREAT( how many days on average to lift,etc all that stuff maybe even a guideline routine to get me going). Thanks for answering my annoying questions ,everyone has been a great help.

Oh and tried hang cleans today. Most weight i did was 100lbsx5. Killed the wrists! But was fun anyway. I think my forearms and wrists are a little weak so hopefully with oly lifts will help this.

markdk86
06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
There is no routine to follow. Go on the site, look up the WOD, do it.

1-2-3

DaoineSidhe
06-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Not having rings or a bar yet myself, I've substituted using a ledge above my stairs for pullups for when the weather is bad outside and a hanging rope loop out on a tree limb. Crude, but effective.

You might want to check out some door mounted chin-up bars that don't damage the wood. Worth the investment if you don't have a garage to set up a gym in.

ericg
06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Ok i am really interested in this now. Almost done with my Bill starr's 5x5. I think im going to start a crossfit routine. WOD would be great but not everything on there i have access to but maybe i will follow to it to an extent. Anyones advice on constructing this would be GREAT( how many days on average to lift,etc all that stuff maybe even a guideline routine to get me going). Thanks for answering my annoying questions ,everyone has been a great help.

Oh and tried hang cleans today. Most weight i did was 100lbsx5. Killed the wrists! But was fun anyway. I think my forearms and wrists are a little weak so hopefully with oly lifts will help this.

How long have you been training? Do you know what your goals are? Weaknesses?

You can incorporate some of the CF principles into Star's routine. Anthony doesnt follow the WODs to the tee, check out his journal for more info on his routine.

I find that even if you have a few years of training behind you and you just want to be in better overall athletic condition, that you should just follow the WOD and its 3on 1off setup. Yeah sometimes you have things that come up, just tweak it a bit when necessary. Also, dont be scared to vary from the WOD if you dont have the ability to do exactly what is posted. In fact, once you try one of the WODs it may humble you a bit so check out THIS (http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16) site for scaled versions of the WODs.

Hephaestus
06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Everything can be worked on of course, but my main thing is conditioning and speed that needs to be improved for althetics. Maybe drop a few lbs of fat now do increase overall altheticism. How do the average days for lifting look like for crossfit? I see things that look odd like just snatching 1-1-1-1-1-1 or something similiar. Yikes

Oh training for 4ish years..2 have been lifting

benny
06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
do the WOD for 2 months, scaled as needed from BrandX. after that, you may never go back to traditional 'lifting'. you might do something like anthony does, or you might do something totally different. i think that if anybody gives the WOD a shot for 60 days they'll learn a lot about their strengths/weaknesses and be ready to adjust as needed.