PDA

View Full Version : New Rules... I Rule!

Wales81
06-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi, I've been lurking for a bit but only just joined and decided to get a journal up and running for motivation, and because I always seem to lose those loose bits of paper I scrawl my workout on!

I've lifted for a few years on and off, mainly for rugby to begin with, then for its own sake, and now I'll be training primarily for vanity - I've gained a lot of weight over the past couple of years, have lost some along the way but always end up putting it back on.

A friend bought me the New Rules of Lifting (well, he bought it for himself, did a Fat Loss workout, threw up and gave me the book!) and I think the way it puts out a structure will help me stick to it because I always seem to lose my way after a few weeks! I'm following the schedule for fat blokes - I'm going aweay in a couple of weeks so between now and then is basically to get used to the routine and some of the exercises, get the weights right etc - then after a week of swanning around in Croatia, I'll be set. The overview of the plan is...

Fat Loss II + Met Overdrive - 2 weeks (before holiday).
Fat Loss II + Met Overdrive - 4 weeks
Off + Met Overdrive - 1 week
Fat Loss III + Met Overdrive - 4 weeks
Hyper I - 8 weeks
Off - 1 week
Hyper II - 8 weeks
Strength I + Met Overdrive - 5
Strength II + Met Overdrive - 5 weeks
Fat Loss I + Met Overdrive - 4 weeks.

I have taken "before" pictures and will end up posting them, but not til I have some pictures showing some progress - otherwise it'll be too embarassing.

All comments and advice more than welcome - there's a helluva lot of knowledge on this board!

Cheers

Wales81
06-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Workout for 4/6/07
superset, 60 seconds between supersets
Front Squat 3x12 @ 60kg
Cable Row 3x12 @ 72.5kg*

walk 200m

Straight Leg Deadlift 3x12 @ 80kg
Push Press 3x12 @ 60kg*

stagger 200m

Dynamic Lunges 3x12 @ 40kg
Upper-Body Russian Twists 3x12 @ no weight

crawl 200m

Metabolic Overdrive
stationary bike
5 mins warm-up (lvl 5, 60-80rpm)
1 min hard (lvl 10, 115-130rpm)**

*push press and cable row both had rest-pauses in last set or 2 - keep this weight for now, think I was just knackered from match on Sunday.
** - was meant to do 3 rounds but calves went into major cramp so thought I'd save it!

Diet
Feeds - 5
Kcals - 1467
Breakdown - Protein: 43% Fat: 31% Carbs: 26%

Workout was really hard - gutted I didn't do the met-work but was in quite a lot of pain! Diet was ok in terms of the nutrient breakdown but not enough kcals, I want to aim for nearer 1800-2000.

Wales81
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
workout for 5/6/07

Snatch-Grip Deadlift 3x12 @ 70kg
T-Push-up 3x12 @ 8kg(x2dbells)*

walk 200m

superset, 60 seconds rest between supersets
Bulgarian Split-Squat with Overhead Press 3x12 @ 8kg(x2 dbells)
Chins 3x12 @ lvl 1 assistance*

walk 200m

superset, 60 seconds rest between supersets
Bent-Over Row 3x12 @ 50kg
Sit-ups 3x12**

walk 200m

Metabolic Overdrive
stationary bike
5 mins easy (lvl 5, 60-80rpm)

1 min hard (lvl 10, 115-130rpm)
2 min easy
(3 rounds)

200m walk for cooldown.

* - up assistance level to 3 for next session this week on chins and decrease weights to 7kg dbells for t-push-ups, too much rest-pause going on at the end.
** - was meant to be lower body russian twists but forgot how they were done so just did sit-ups!

Diet
Feeds - 5
Kcals - 2001
Breakdown - Protein: 35% Fat: 29% Carbs: 36%

Another good workout, after the first round of met work I thought it was easy, but by the end of the second round I was breathing out my arse!

Diet was ok, but in the canteen at work there was no diet coke in the machine so when I pressed the button a full-fat badboy came out and I succumbed and drank it - this plus half a sandwich I hadn't planned on for lunch upped my carbs a little more than I was aiming for.

Wales81
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Day off trainin today - actually feel less sore today than I did yesterday which is nice.

Diet
Feeds - 5
Kcals - 1505
Breakdown - Protein: 33% Fat: 39% Carbs: 28%

Maybe a bit too much fat but its coming mainly from cashews and eggs. Looking forward to my workout tomorrow.

Wales81
06-07-2007, 03:37 PM
ended up doing a couple of workouts today - one of the guys at work just joined another gym and wanted me to go with him to show him how to do some of the weights so I worked in with him and then went anddid my own about half hour later, only real affect it had was on my triceps, they were a little fatigued, but I held bck on most of the weights in the first workout.

Workout 1
x-trainer x 5mins
Lat Pull Down - 3x10 @ 80kg
Chest Press - 3x10 @ 85kg
Cable Row - 3x10 @ 55kg
Dips - 3x10

Proper Workout

Front Squat 3x12 @ 60kg
Cable Row 3x12 @ 72.5kg*

200m walk

superset,60 seconds betwen supersets
Straight Leg Deadlift 3x12 @ 80kg
Push Press 3x12 @ 60kg**

200m walk

Dynamic Lunges 1x12 @ 40kg***

* - last set was broken 8/4 not so bd as last time.
** - really really struggled, 2nd and 3rd set were broken with the 3rd set finishing in doubles. Need to drop to 50-55kg next week.
*** - hamstring really twinged badly halfway through the set so called it a day and felt too tight for going on the bike so left it.

Diet
Feeds - 4
Kcals - 1712
Breakdown - Protein: 34% Fat:21% Carbs: 45%

Overall a good day - the push presses are the only exercise I'm really struggling on, and I think I went in too high with the weight on that to start with so will drop it a bit. Shame at the end because I quite like the lunges - really gets me breathing hard doing 24 reps in total, and disappointed not to do the met but hopefully will be right for tomorrow - will take care warming up.

Too many carbs in the diet, not enough fat - ran out of nuts (titter titter) so really struggled with hunger ni the afternoon which led me to having a sandwich which accounted for most of the surplus carbs. But have got some now (and crunchy peanut butter) so should be ok tomorrow.

Wales81
06-07-2007, 04:03 PM
just realised I haven't posted any starting stats - this'll give you an idea of how far from my goals I am and what a long road it's going to be!

Back in March I weighed 200lbs with 40" waist, just by cutting back on the junk food I got back to 193lbs but weighed in at 195lbs last week (training had been put on hold for a while because of hurting my shoulder in a game).

Height: 5'4" (look mum, it's like a man, only smaller...)
Weight: 195lbs
Waist: 38.5"
Arms: 16.5"
Forearms: 12.5"
Thighs: 27.5"
Calves: 17.5"

I haven't got target weight as such, just whatever it takes to get down to a 32" waist and keep as much muscle as I can. I'm not entirely sure how long its going to take, having never really lost that much weight before. I do know, though, that it's going to take a long time and there will be times when it all goes well and times when it won't.

There's a story I heard once that sums up how best to approach something like this:
A man saw a priest copying, in the exact same calligraphy style as the original, a page from the bible, and he could see from the many sheets beside him that he had already copied out a good few thousand words. The man asked which book of the bible he was copying, to which the priest smiled and answered "all of them". The man could see that copying it as painstakingly as the priest was doing would take many many months and he asked "isn't that too great an undertaking for one man" to which the priest smiled again and said "not at all, I only have to write one page at a time."

So basically, dropping the 20lbs or so that I am going to need to drop to get where I want to be is going to take hundreds of workouts BUT I only have to do 1 workout at a time to get there. I can do that.

Wales81
06-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Decided to take today as my day off the diet - had a bit of what I lwanted but didn't go mad on any one thing but feel ready to eat clean again tomorrow.

Superset, 60 seconds between supersets
Sumo Deadlift 3x12 @ 80kg
T-Push-Up 3x12 @ 6ks (x2)

walk 200m

Superset, 60 seconds between supersets
Belgian Split-Squats with Overhead Press 3x12 @ 8kgs (x2)
Chins Lvl 3 assistance*

walk 200m

Superset, 60 seconds betwee supersets
Bent-Over Row 3x12 @ 50kg
Crunches 3x12

Metabolic Overdrive
Stationary bike
5 mins easy (lvl 5, 60-80rpm)

1 min hard (lvl 10, 115-130rpm)
2 min easy
(3 rounds)

200m walk for cooldown

* - despite increase in assistance, chins were still very broken.

Was pleased with increasing the deadlift weight, no broken sets on that and 6kgs are the right dbells for T-Puish ups at the moment, only really broke the last set. Diet obviously pants but I enjoyed it and made usre there was plenty of protein involved!

Plan for the weekend is watch the rugby internationals tomorrow, ride my motorbike some and then Sunday I've got a game. Diet may be disrupted over the weekend but only in terms of feeding times and perhaps frequency.

Cheers

Can'tstopnow
06-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Nice intensity, Rugby is an asskicker too. Nice work.

Wales81
06-08-2007, 01:56 PM
thanks mate - match on Sunday is actually an American Football match, hoping to get fit enough to play rugby again for next season (pre-season training starts next Wednesday). Both sports are asskickers, but rugby leaves me sorer for longer!

Wales81
06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Must have hit the wrong button, thought I posted today! Saturday was ok, did no real physical work so kept kcals low but didnlt count them religiously - had game Sunday and diet was ok. Sore today though!

Front Squat 3x12 @ 65kg
Cable Row 3x12 @ 72.5kg

200m walk

Straight Leg Deadlift 3x12 @ 82.5kg
Push Press 3x12 @ 50kg

200m walk

Dynamic Lunges 1x12 @ 40kg

Disappoined not to have finished today - knee a bit sore from football and it played up in the lunges so called it. Got a squash game tomorrow and rugby practise on Wednesday (first time in ages!) so saved it.

Happy with increase on front squat, really good form too (srprsingy no pain in the knee), and no broken sets on row so definate improvement there.
Last set of sldl's wre broken, lower back a bit tight frm yesterday nad misjudged weigt for push press- all but last 2 reps were strict form standing shoulder presses!

Diet
Feeds - 3
Kcals - 1278
Breakdown - Protein: 123g (38%) Fat: 46g (32%) Carbs: 93g (30%)

Not enough kcals due to lack of organisation but breakdown ok.

Will count tomorrows squash game as my met-con and aimto go straight to gym after, provided my knee hasn't given up!

Cheers

deeder
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Must have hit the wrong button, thought I posted today! Saturday was ok, did no real physical work so kept kcals low but didnlt count them religiously - had game Sunday and diet was ok. Sore today though!

Front Squat 3x12 @ 65kg
Cable Row 3x12 @ 72.5kg

200m walk

Straight Leg Deadlift 3x12 @ 82.5kg
Push Press 3x12 @ 50kg

200m walk

Dynamic Lunges 1x12 @ 40kg

Disappoined not to have finished today - knee a bit sore from football and it played up in the lunges so called it. Got a squash game tomorrow and rugby practise on Wednesday (first time in ages!) so saved it.

Happy with increase on front squat, really good form too (srprsingy no pain in the knee), and no broken sets on row so definate improvement there.
Last set of sldl's wre broken, lower back a bit tight frm yesterday nad misjudged weigt for push press- all but last 2 reps were strict form standing shoulder presses!

Diet
Feeds - 3
Kcals - 1278
Breakdown - Protein: 123g (38%) Fat: 46g (32%) Carbs: 93g (30%)

Not enough kcals due to lack of organisation but breakdown ok.

Will count tomorrows squash game as my met-con and aimto go straight to gym after, provided my knee hasn't given up!

Cheers

Crazy low calories man! EAT!!!!

Wales81
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I know - I have been aiming for 1800 (which is still a bit low but lack of money and protein shakes is making it difficult at the moment!) but I slept in and missed breakfast and had banked on waking up earlier o sort my packed lunch out - oops!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for diet! What is your opinion on the breakdown percentages - at this stage my goal is maintaining the muscle/strength i have and dropping some of this fat?

Thanks for the post

Wales81
06-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Played squash for an hour - it was a very good workout because we are a similar skill level do the rallies lasted ages. Knee was a little tender so decided to leave the gym for today.

Diet
Feeds: 3
Kcals: 1673
Breakdown - Protein: 36% Fat: 35% Carbs: 29%

Diet a bit better today but still not enough kcals. Get paid the day I come back from my holidays and will invest in some protein shakes to help me hit my targets.

Cheers

Wales81
06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
now my shoulder's giving me hassle! No training today - rugby got cancelled and determined not to do my usual trick of training through injuries and making them last for ages!

On a good note though, weighed in this morning at 189.5lbs whch makes for 10lbs lost since I startd training, and 5lbs in the last 10 days! To be fair, I had had a couple weeks bad eating and no training when i weighed in at 195. Arms measuring the same and waist down nearly another inch so I think its the right sort of weight I'm losing. I will try and keep my weight in check on my week on holidays but won't beat myself up over a pound or 2

Wales81
06-27-2007, 02:49 PM
back from my travels now - had a good time relaxing but ate and drank too much! Ready to get back on it. Did a workout today, but it was just to ease me back into the movements, I did the workout that starts with front squats but didn't do them as supersets.

Tomorrow I have a squash game so will prob not weight train til Friday now but have done a big shop and gotten some good food in - will be shooting for 2000kcals a day.

Wales81
06-28-2007, 01:13 PM
another crushing defeat at squash but had a good time and a really good workout - that really blew the cobwebs away!

Diet
Kcals - 2133
Protein - 214g (40%)
Carbs - 105g (20%)
Fat - 95g (40%)

Finally got enough kcals in! Felt strange though, pretty full all day, seems hard to believe I'll be losing weight with this - fat seems high but it comes from olives, peanut butter and fish (trout) so it should be ok.

I may have to travel tomorrow straight after work but if not I'll get straight onto the gym.

Cheers