PDA

View Full Version : Extra lean ground beef question

training30yo
06-06-2007, 04:51 AM
I've seen recommendations in books and other places for using extra lean ground beef as a part of one's diet. Does anyone know what kind of percentage of lean meat a guy would be looking for in the grocery store to get that?

Thanks

minime_moomey
06-06-2007, 04:58 AM
I personally eat 90/10. I used to eat even leaner, but someone told me that it wasnt necessary to go leaner than that...

Rusty
06-06-2007, 05:19 AM
90/10. It should say 'extra lean ground beef' right on the package.

manowar669
06-06-2007, 06:32 AM
You can also buy steaks and have them ground, but that's kinda like selling a BMW to get a Dodge neon. I hunt, and I have a meat grinder, so I can make all kinds of edible things out of things that were walking around this morning. A meat grinder is great for making ground turkey and chicken too. Chicken/turkey meatballs are pretty good, especially when you spice them up with greek/turkish types of meatball recipes (called "keftedes").

KingWilder
06-06-2007, 06:33 AM
I usually get 93/7....at least go with 90/10

greekboy80
06-06-2007, 06:51 AM
I go with 95/5 its kind of dry for burgers, but perfect for some whole wheat pasta!

JimR
06-06-2007, 07:22 AM
It's my main staple. 1 pound of lean ground beef,cup o' oatmeal,coupla eggs and whatever spices. Mix it all up and you have your protein,carbs and fiber in 1 easy to use meatloaf.

ArchAngel777
06-06-2007, 07:46 AM
The percentages of lean beef are misleading. 90/10, isn't 90% protein and 10% fat... 90/10 is about 1/2 protein and 1/2 fat... 93/7 is 60/40 and so on... I use 93/7, personally. But occasionally I will use 90/10.

training30yo
06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
So if ground beef is so fatty, (much more than just 7 or 10%) do people just use it because it is cheaper and tasty? Would it only be used in a bulking diet that is sort of a 'see'food diet, or could other diets also incorporate this meat? I wish they had nutritional data on the packages I buy. I'm in Puerto Rico, so everything is different...and in Spanish too. The best I have found is 92%.

Also, what would a leaner cut of meat calculate out to in fat vs. protein %?

ArchAngel777
06-06-2007, 11:29 AM
So if ground beef is so fatty, (much more than just 7 or 10%) do people just use it because it is cheaper and tasty? Would it only be used in a bulking diet that is sort of a 'see'food diet, or could other diets also incorporate this meat? I wish they had nutritional data on the packages I buy. I'm in Puerto Rico, so everything is different...and in Spanish too. The best I have found is 92%.

Also, what would a leaner cut of meat calculate out to in fat vs. protein %?

Fat isn't bad at all. But you don't want to go hog wild with it.

The leaner the cut, the better the protein/fat ratio.

SDS
06-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Ground beef is hard to grill because it's constantly dripping and causing the fire to flame up. I buy the leanest ground round I can find and add olive oil to help it cook.

Noxon
06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Ground beef is hard to grill because it's constantly dripping and causing the fire to flame up. I buy the leanest ground round I can find and add olive oil to help it cook.
Mashing up an egg or two in the ground beef will also do wonders for making your burgers stay together on the grill. Plus it tastes great and lean beef with eggs is healthier and tastier than fatty beef without eggs.

Not exactly a low calorie item.

1 pound of lean ground beef,cup o' oatmeal,coupla eggs and whatever spices. Mix it all up and you have your protein,carbs and fiber in 1 easy to use meatloaf
I'm so trying this tomorrow.

Mmmmm... Cowwwww....