PDA

View Full Version : Kipping Pullups - Great Instructional Video

ericg
06-06-2007, 07:14 AM
It would have been better without the music so you could hear his instruction better, but this is a great vid to show you how to kip.

fLPj_6pFE44

sharkall2003
06-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Great instructing, but I"m just happy that she was able to do them and is working out. WE need more people to do that.

Maki Riddington
06-06-2007, 07:39 PM
That was cool.

muscleup
06-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I tried the instruction from the video and I still got my ass kicked. I must be too white...ain't got no rythm. :dj:

getfit
06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
that was real neat.I enjoyed that

stepto180
06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
im just curiouse about the point of the kiping??

muscleup
06-06-2007, 09:06 PM
im just curiouse about the point of the kiping??

It all comes down to intensity. Higher intensity is the goal, meaning more work in less time. Here is a direct example of more work in less time demonstrated using a dead hang pull-up vs the kipping pull-up:
Strict Vs Kipping Pullup.wmv (http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/StrictVKippingPullup.wmv)

...and here is a good video on Intensity and how it can be measured:
CrossFit_IntensityIntro.wmv (http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_IntensityIntro.wmv)

stepto180
06-07-2007, 12:03 AM
huh the first set of pull ups looked alot more intense to me
im not sold on crossfit or kiping but I guesse its just from a different school of thought then Ive been taught

Relentless
06-07-2007, 05:50 AM
LOL I was going to say that it looked like she'd gained weight over the course of the video and then it turns out she got pregnant.

I dunno -- props to her for the hard work but even at the end the pullups looked a little bit shy of chin-over-bar. Maybe it was just the angle of the camera?

ericg
06-07-2007, 06:27 AM
MuscleUp pretty much hit it.

Here is a quote from the CFit LA site:

To kip or not to kip, that is the question. What in the world am I talking about? The video to the left is an example of a kipping pull up. It involves utilizing momentum generated from your legs, hips, abdominals to help propel you up and over a pull up bar. Ask a gymnast if they kip in their pull ups - they won't even know what you're talking about (of course they do). Benefits of kipping pull ups are many - coordination, strength, speed, power, flexibility, and stamina, only one of which is shared by dead hang pull ups (strength). Working on your kipping pull up will improve your deadhang pull up, the opposite not true at all. If you train for function in life and in sports, there is no question - kip away!

Oh and crossfit doesnt only suggest doing kipping pullups. they have max effort weighted pullups thrown in their workout of the day (WODs) as well.

I think if you looked at crossfit as a set of principles instead of a set program you would find that being an athlete yourself, you follow many of those principles.

I agree with you Relentless, some of those reps were very close. She made some awesome progress from the start though.

Sensei
06-08-2007, 06:33 PM
That's a fantastic video. I'm embarassed to admit it, but I'd never thought about teaching someone to do a pull-up starting with a kip...