PDA

View Full Version : training

sean140
06-06-2007, 05:51 PM
i was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that had training schedules for UFC?

ericg
06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Are you looking for something specific to fighting, strength, or the conditioning aspect of MMA?

sean140
06-07-2007, 05:35 PM
yea i was looking for a fighters lifting routine, and guides to show me skills and techniques.

ericg
06-08-2007, 06:42 AM
I would definitely try to find a local MMA (or any martial art) club in your area. I think it will be hard to learn any discipline through texts and online compared to joining a club.

Wiggy
06-12-2007, 08:17 AM
ericq is right.

If you want to learn skills, find an MMA gym nearby (if there is one). If not, look for boxing, wrestling, BJJ, or the like - something you can actually get in and practice.

If there are no gyms/dojos or they are too expensive, try hitting up the local college/university. Many schools have clubs that train just for the sake of training, and if you talk to them, you might be able to join in.

As far as the lifting/strength/conditioning goes, you'll get a million different answers. I even write programs for MMAists that I sell. I take a little different take on it (I feel that MMAists - in fact, most all combat athletes) should train to master bodyweight, but not just calisthenics. Bodyweight on a barbell, bodyweight sandbag, etc. But that's a different tangent...

Pretty much all pro fighters do different types of workouts. Matt Hughes and Sean Sherk both use bodybuilding-type routines. Randy Couture and Team Quest make extensive use of complexes and plyos. BJ Penn utilizes Crossfit. John Hackleman (Chuck Liddell's trainer) is also associated with Crossfit, but tends to focus on odd object training (wheelbarrows, sledgehammer striking, tire flips, heavy med balls, etc). Martin Rooney trains the guys up at Renzo's utilizing a large combination of methods including ME, complexes, dynamic warm-ups, and lifting/sprint work.

None of these methods are "right" or "wrong" per se. In some cases, it might be more of a "fighter XX is successful IN SPITE OF instead of BECAUSE OF his training routine" but that's a big argument I don't wanna get into. ;-)

The best thing you could do is to do some skills work, see what areas of S&C you need to work on, and then go from there...

Wiggy