PDA

View Full Version : The "Eat everything in sight" approach to bulking..

ray34iyf
06-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey. Quick question to all you great folk here at WBB...when you are bulking, what approach do you take when you bulk? Are you an avid tracker and make sure you get certain macros %'s and a certain caloric intake, or do you take the more, "if it moves, eat it" approach? After cutting and tracking meticulously for several weeks, I have such an urge to just fill up a plate with chicken, potatoes, and brussel sprouts and just eat like crazy.
What kind of results have you had on an avidly tracked bulk vs. the stuff your face approach?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-07-2007, 06:05 PM
It depends on your goals. If you want to get bigger faster, then just eat anything that moves, but you might get a bit of fat along for the ride. If you want to get meticulous and gain as little fat as possible, then tracking would be a better approach. Some people are just able to gauge very well what they eat without tracking. I am not so fortunate, so I track everything I eat. Try both and see how it works out for you.

Unholy
06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I eat small children.

ray34iyf
06-07-2007, 06:10 PM
"I am not so fortunate, so I track everything I eat."
It sure is a b!tch, isn't it?

ray34iyf
06-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I eat small children.

What are the macros for those things? I've been thinking about going down to the local orphanage and picking up a few for my next bulk.

WORLD
06-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I am one of those guys who can eat everything, anytime, and hardly gain a pound. Like Scarz said, you have to first realize what your goal is; then learn your body; then ask yourself how much time and effort your willing to put into your diet. You should have your answer.

Unholy
06-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Hmmm, I guess I don't track, Fitday doesn't have Children and I can't figure out how to add custom foods.

WORLD
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
haha this guys great.

Unholy
06-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Pshh you say that as if i was new around here =O

Beast
06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
It depends on your goals. If you want to get bigger faster, then just eat anything that moves, but you might get a bit of fat along for the ride. If you want to get meticulous and gain as little fat as possible, then tracking would be a better approach. Some people are just able to gauge very well what they eat without tracking. I am not so fortunate, so I track everything I eat. Try both and see how it works out for you.
Agreed... If I don't track my calories, it's easy for me to get carried away and become a fatass.

SpecialK
06-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I started out with the "eat as much as possible" approach, and that worked well for awhile, especially during my "newbie gains" phase. However, as I continued to use that approach, one day I looked in the mirror and realized I had gained quite a bit of fat.

As leanness is one of my goals, I am now pretty meticulous about tracking calories and such. Keep in mind that every extra pound of fat you put on during a "dirty bulk" is one more pound you will have to cut off later. It took me 4 months of cutting to get back down to an acceptable bodyfat level. I never plan on getting that fat again.

Mr. D
06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
I think you are getting burnt out of your cut.

You can either take a 1 week off and eat at maintenance or schedule in a refeed.

If you've been limiting carbs, then make it a very low fat High carb refeed and schedule it around a training session.

ray34iyf
06-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah, well this god dang 9 hour job outside doesn't help matters...I think it may be more mental than physical. My lifts are OK, but lately all I've been thinking about is how great my neighbor's cow would look on my grill....ahh!

RedSpikeyThing
06-07-2007, 08:32 PM
I had the opposite problem: I didn't eat enough to actually gain weight unless I tracked. And when I did have the urge to eat more I went for it. Becoming a fatass would take a lot of work and dedication for me lol

WORLD
06-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I had the opposite problem: I didn't eat enough to actually gain weight unless I tracked. And when I did have the urge to eat more I went for it. Becoming a fatass would take a lot of work and dedication for me lol

haha you remind me of myself every time your posting about this topic.

RedSpikeyThing
06-07-2007, 08:38 PM
haha you remind me of myself every time your posting about this topic.

glad I'm not the only. Fast metabolism + appetite that doesn't keep up with it = skinny little bastard

EDIT: BTW you making the treck out west for the Toronto meet?

WORLD
06-07-2007, 08:41 PM
glad I'm not the only. Fast metabolism + appetite that doesn't keep up with it = skinny little bastard

EDIT: BTW you making the treck out west for the Toronto meet?

Keith keeps telling me about it, but I haven't even considered it. When is it? and where? I know theres a thread on it somewhere. I'd go for sure.

Stumprrp
06-09-2007, 02:56 PM
worked VERY well for me, however i am still doing it and the weight gain has slowed alot.

shootermcgavin7
06-09-2007, 09:29 PM
On some level, as other have mentioned, it will depend on your metabolism.

That said, no matter what the metabolism, you'll almost always gain more fat bulking from crap food than a clean bulk.

My first successful bulk was a "crap food" bulk. Since then, I've been able to cut/bulk in clean food to achieve whatever particular combination of weight/bf%/strength I desired at the time.