PDA

View Full Version : Shoes for Squats, etc

redFury
06-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I need some new kicks for squatting. I currently squat in socks because all of my shoes have heels (running bball etc). Anyone have any suggestions? I've heard mixed reviews of Chucks and wrestingling shoes. I will likely use these to DL in too (if APF doesn't allow slippers)

Lones Green
06-08-2007, 01:17 PM
chuck taylors seem to be the most popular. i squat in what i wear every day, old school vans. nothing special, they are just nice and flat.

getfit
06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
I have an old pair of adidas or barefoot.Whatever I feel at that time

deeder
06-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Depends alot on your style of squat. If you have a narrow stance an olympic squat shoe with a heel might help you.

If you've got a wide stance, go with the chucks. I love mine :)

TommyBoy
06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
I squat in Adidas weightlifting shoes, and I pull in Chucks.

deeder
06-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I squat in Adidas weightlifting shoes, and I pull in Chucks.

I do too... However, it sucks... It adds damn near an inch to my pull! I'm getting some deadlift slippers before my next competition....

Guido
06-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I do too... However, it sucks... It adds damn near an inch to my pull! I'm getting some deadlift slippers before my next competition....DL Slippers FTW! I use Aqua Socks, actually. They work quite well and only cost me about $7.

Neal, I second the Chucks!

Keith
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Any shoe that is relatively flat footed, has alot of room in the shoe to allow for your feet to spread and well constucted siding to them. Chuck Taylors or fake ones which are about $20 less are the best route. I still have yet to purchase them. As of now I'm squatting and pulling in a pair of old construction boots and they work awesome!

redFury
06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
DL Slippers FTW! I use Aqua Socks, actually. They work quite well and only cost me about $7.

Neal, I second the Chucks!

I need to get some slippers asap... those inzer or something? I figure I need a workout in them before the 30th

TommyBoy
06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
I do too... However, it sucks... It adds damn near an inch to my pull! I'm getting some deadlift slippers before my next competition....
Jesus, are you serious.....you're complaining about an extra inch????

WillKuenzel
06-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Every inch counts! That's another inch you shouldn't have to go.

TommyBoy
06-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Or you could just become stronger and not give a damn about an inch.

Keith
06-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Or you could just become stronger and not give a damn about an inch.

No matter how strong you become an extra inch can make the difference between making the lift and failing.

TommyBoy
06-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Okie dokie. Well I switched from wrestling shoes to Chuck's and my deadlift went up. The extra inch doesn't seem to bother me.

mikesbytes
06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Got some links to those shoes being recommened

TommyBoy
06-08-2007, 06:03 PM
I squat in the adiStar Weightlifting shoes:
http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/shoesFR.html

And I pull in Chuck's:
http://www.converse.com/zproductdetails.asp?zcatid=2&zsubcatid=4&zgenid=&leftnavid=1&leftnavsubid=2&sku=M7650&bhfv=0&bhfx=&bhbb=0&bhqs=1

HeavyBomber
06-08-2007, 08:02 PM
No matter how strong you become an extra inch can make the difference between making the lift and failing.

Man, I second that. 1" is a lot on a max attempt. I prefer wrestling shoes.

deeder
06-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Okie dokie. Well I switched from wrestling shoes to Chuck's and my deadlift went up. The extra inch doesn't seem to bother me.

Have you ever pulled off boards?

Sensei
06-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Although you can't deny that you have further to pull in Chucks compared to wrestling shoes, I can understand where TommyBoy's coming from. I don't know if this point is valid, but to me it does feel like the Chuck Taylor sole allows you to get into a better position to pull the weight "backwards"...

I hate my OL shoes for DLing, but I've heard more than a few lifters say that OL shoes help them transfer their weight into the heel and squeeze the bar off the floor.

deeder
06-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Although you can't deny that you have further to pull in Chucks compared to wrestling shoes, I can understand where TommyBoy's coming from. I don't know if this point is valid, but to me it does feel like the Chuck Taylor sole allows you to get into a better position to pull the weight "backwards"...

I hate my OL shoes for DLing, but I've heard more than a few lifters say that OL shoes help them transfer their weight into the heel and squeeze the bar off the floor.

I've never met anyone that pulls in a squat shoe... Everyone has their preferences I guess.

Sensei
06-08-2007, 10:48 PM
I've never met anyone that pulls in a squat shoe... Everyone has their preferences I guess.
You've never seen anyone pull in Chucks? I'm sure you have.
You've never seen anyone pull in OL shoes? Most PLers don't. ALL OLers do.

Detard
06-08-2007, 10:49 PM
I think I may have a different style of chucks than you guys. The soles on my chucks are about 3/8'' thick. I love them.

Detard
06-08-2007, 10:50 PM
This is what I have. The sole is from the black line down. Very slim.

http://www.counterfeitchic.com/Images/Converse%20Chuck%20Taylor%20All-Star.jpg

deeder
06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
You've never seen anyone pull in Chucks? I'm sure you have.

Sorry, should have clarified... I've never seen anyone pull in OL squat shoes. ie: Raised heels.

deeder
06-08-2007, 10:56 PM

http://www.counterfeitchic.com/Images/Converse%20Chuck%20Taylor%20All-Star.jpg

Yup... The black like is where the sole stops... Now pull the padding from inside your shoe and see how freaking thick that is. :)

vrizzle
06-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Go for Adidas shoes for squatting, I couldn't imagine not working out in my Adidas's. That goes for benching, squatting, pulling, and of course all the OLY stuff. Very stable stuff, go for em.

TommyBoy
06-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Have you ever pulled off boards?
I do elevated deadlifts all the time.

This was my main point. Chuck's help me get set a lot better. Pulling in wrestling shoes feels like I'm pulling barefoot; I'm just not stable. Plus, because I'm a sumo puller, the Chuck's allow me to spread the floor, where as the I'd almost roll my snkle with wrestling shoes.

Everyone has their preferences I guess.
I agree with this 100%:thumbup:

This I would say would be awkward. I definitely agree that a flat sole is the best bet.

HeavyBomber
06-10-2007, 12:24 AM
I just hate the way chuck's look. I'm stylin' in my wrestin' shoes. LOL:cool:

Stackattack
06-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok i've finally caved and decided to invest in some oly shoes.
I've found both the adiStar and ironwork II on ebay for the same price ($215au)

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/adiStarFRS.html
Logic dictates that the more expensive ones (the adiStar: $199) are of higher quality than the cheaper ones (ironwork II: $149) and given that they're the same price on ebay. i'd be better off purchasing the adistar...
Thoughts?

Stackattack
06-11-2007, 04:08 AM
Also. If i wear size 7(uk) chucks Should i purchase size 7 oly shoes? or perhaps go half a size down. (i recall reading this somewhere)
Any advice is appreciated.

Guido
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM

http://www.counterfeitchic.com/Images/Converse%20Chuck%20Taylor%20All-Star.jpgYep. Those are my exact squat shoes.

Seriously, for DL, if you pull conventional, a pair of deadlift slippers is the way to go. I actually use a pair of aquasocks I found at a local surplus and outdoor gear store for $6.99. Basically similar to this:

http://www.liftinglarge.com/misc%20items.htm

JHarris
06-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Also. If i wear size 7(uk) chucks Should i purchase size 7 oly shoes? or perhaps go half a size down. (i recall reading this somewhere)

I personally wear the Ironwork II's right now, and I love them. I'm sure the adistars are better in some way, and if you can get them for the same price I'd say go for those.

As for sizing, I wear an 11.5 in normal athletic shoes and 11.5 in my ironwork II's. Most of my friends haven't needed to go up or down in size either.

Jay

Sensei
06-11-2007, 05:19 PM
If you've even worn Adidas, that will help you choose sizing. You definately don't want a loose shoe. You can crank down the straps, but if it's too loose it won't matter.

TommyBoy
06-11-2007, 05:41 PM
It's weird I wear a size 13 shoe normally, and I take a 13.5 in the adiStar. Also, I can never find normal adidas shoes that actually fit me.

Stackattack
06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys.

JHarris
06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
It's weird I wear a size 13 shoe normally, and I take a 13.5 in the adiStar. Also, I can never find normal adidas shoes that actually fit me.

Actually, I spoke with a 105+ friend of mine earlier today, and he had the same exact issue. (Also 13 - 13.5). Maybe you guys are both close to the 13/13.5 cut off and adidas goes slightly smaller in their weightlifting shoes. Who knows. This is why its nice to buy from someone with a return policy.

Jay

Optimum08
06-11-2007, 09:58 PM
for those of you who do some sort of olympic lift. is the raised heel that much more important? i lift all lifts in my chucks and have developed a comfort level with them so much so that i even do my hang cleans in my chuck's against all conventional wisdom on olympic lifts.

Stackattack
06-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I just went to a shoe store and tried on some adidas running shoes. The assistant said i had a size 7 foot in length but size 8 arch length so she said 7.5 adidas were best in runners. I tried them on. they were comfortable and seemed to fit reasonably well in width etc but had a little room at the toes which she said was a good thing for running, something i'll be doing zero of in oly shoes. Therefore, I think i'll order the 7.
Although this talk of adistars being 1/2 a size smaller than the marked size confuses me...oh well. Lucky for me this seller has an exchange policy.
Again. Thanks for your help.

vrizzle
06-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I wear 9.5 shoes, both for my regular shoes and weightlifting shoes, though I do notice my lifting shoes are a bit more snug. So if all else fails go a half size above. If they are too loose strap em tight. The last thing you want is too small, you can work with bigger.

Optimum08- Once you go heeled, you never go back. Seriously, I couldn't imagine working out without my babies. At first I was skeptical, and when I first tried some on and cleaned I fell flat on my ass, but soon after I understood why everyone wore them and I was hooked. So, buy them, the end.

Optimum08
06-14-2007, 08:46 AM
hmmm. when i get the money i may have to try them. i only clean one day a week though and otherwise am not a big oly lifter, so i've got to measure the cost effectiveness of shelling out $150+ for shoes i won't be using that much.

smokinHawk
06-14-2007, 12:53 PM
i like to squat and deadlift in these
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11103564/Ladies_High_Heel_Shoes.jpg

works the muscles great

Stackattack
06-15-2007, 02:35 AM
Hell yeah!
I cant wait to try them out.

They're a little tight across the Tibialis anterior tendon when im at the bottom of a squat but i suppose thats normal. The length is right and they feel snug but comfortable When standing upright. I'm worried that if i exchange these for a larger size they'll be too long or my heel will lift so i guess i'll stick with these. Blast these seemingly minor but irritating decisions.
Vrizzle, how tight do your straps do up?

Clifford Gillmore
06-15-2007, 03:00 AM
I'm barefoot more often than not, and getting into my chucks feels a world of difference. I'm another vote for the all-stars.

Fuzzy
06-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Well no for someone who uses Oly shoes alot.

The difference is huge, you dont understand what a inch under your heels will do for your flexibility.

Flat footed a will get some rounding at the bottom of the squat, in the shoes my arch stays tight the whole way.

Not only that it is next to impossilbe for alot of people to heavy overhead squat without their heels raises.

Plus, this is much more advanatage case Oly guys are using a very narrow stances and the hight throws more weight on the quads. Also much easier to get onto your toes during the pull.

For the occasional deading NOTHING can beat my chucks. For everything I use my very old tough leather Oly shoes (if a gold medallist wore em I sure can!!!)

I also did some veeeeeery wide sumo squatting and found I had alot less strain on my groin area and it was alot easier to break par in the Oly shoes.

Oly shos ftw, and chucks for the pulling.

Guido
06-15-2007, 08:54 AM
i like to squat and deadlift in these
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11103564/Ladies_High_Heel_Shoes.jpg

works the muscles greatThose really hit the calves! :D