PDA

View Full Version : Got (too much) Milk?

tomv
06-08-2007, 03:36 PM
G'day guys and gals,

I'm semi-bulking at the moment (trying to just take it slow and utilise newbie gains) and currently drink a fair bit of (light) milk every day. This is because the protein shakes taste a lot better with milk as opposed to water and also just because I like milk. I'm averaging I'd say anywhere from 1-2 litres of milk a day.
Is there anything detrimental about this habit? I realise there's lactose in the milk and I do end up ingesting quite a fair bit of "sugar" then but is lactose different from say sucrose or fructose?

Mr. D
06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Excerpt from Get Built - Q & A with the Iron Geek - Issue 2 (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=274)

Lactose

Lactose is the sugar commonly found in milk and actually consists of two sugars. When transported to the small intestine, lactose is broken into glucose and galactose, and then absorbed into the intestinal cells and transported to the liver. Glucose enters into a series of pathways as described earlier, while galactose enters a series of conversions. Like glucose, it can form glycogen in the liver, or be converted to glucose and transported out of the liver to other tissues.

The most common condition associated with lactose is lactose intolerance. Glucose and galactose are bonded differently than other disaccharides, such as sucrose, and some people do not have the enzyme required to break this bond. This results in the lactose being sent down the large intestine, resulting in severe diarrhea (just like any other indigestible sugar).

Basically keep drinking your milk. Your body metabolizes lactose differently than it does sucrose or fructose. Its a great,cheap source of protein and carbs.

Khar
06-09-2007, 05:24 AM
I agree keep at it. It is a good 'natural' food as they say.

Stumprrp
06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
milk is king!! GREAT source of protien and nutrients, lots of old timer and even some current weightlifters drink almost a gallon a day.

tomv
06-10-2007, 01:22 AM
I Love you guys =). When the world is a foggy scape of misinformation and kickbacks, WBB shines as a beacon bright for all those who wish to learn =D.

Or some poetic bull**** w/e.

McIrish
06-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I Love you guys =). When the world is a foggy scape of misinformation and kickbacks, WBB shines as a beacon bright for all those who wish to learn =D.

Or some poetic bull**** w/e.

Haha, I love it! WBB is like lady liberty with her arms open saying "give me your weak, feeble masses, yearning to be beefy!"

:nod: