PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses, Hand Cream and Vitamin C

deeder
06-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Well I've been away from journal-land for quite a while now. To be honest I started posting my journal over at Animalpak.com for a while tuttut . When that forum first started up it was a pretty cool place with many very knowledgeable members. It quickly degraded though and became just another typical bodybuilding forum. Thus, I'm bringing my journal back to WBB after not posting any journal for probably about a month...

Don't ask about the title, it was three things that happened to be laying around my computer desk... I thought maybe it would get some people in here checking things out :)

I've finally started training with some other powerlifters. Two of the guys that I train with are the owners of the gym we train at. There are usually between 3 and 5 people I train with. Training with these guys has not only improved my technique dramatically, it has also given me the opportunity to start incorporating bands and boards into my training.

I bought a bench shirt a little over a month ago... I've been in it twice now. I hope to get in it 2-3 more times before provincials (August 5th). My squat suit has been ordered and should be here within the next 2 weeks. I can't wait to try it out!

Oh, and one last major change before I post today's workout... I'm pulling sumo now! I don't think I'll be getting a deadlift suit in time for Provincials, but I still think I should be able to get close to, if not better than, what I pulled conventional at Nationals. I'll know more closer to August.

So, what you've been waiting for... Today's workout:

Squat Day:

Did a little dynamic warmup then a few of the exercises from Sensei's squat video... My hamstring flexibility is absolute ****. I need to stretch more regularly.

Squats:
bar x 20ish
135lbs x 10
225lbs x 5
3 x ( 275lbs x 8 )

SLDL:
3 x ( 130kg x 8 ) --> I think that's 286lbs?

Short workout today. There was no one else at the gym and I'm having some trouble keeping my head in the right place lately. When everyone's there I get really into helping load, spot, etc. that I don't have time to let my mind wander between sets.

I skipped biceps and abs but I did them Tuesday anyway so no biggie.

Here's the gym I'm training at: http://www.adrenalinetraining.ca/facility.php
The only machine is a leg extension hidden away in a corner that I've never seen used. It's a sweeeeeeet setup. It's also a very private club. Steve and Derek (the owners) only train clients one on one or in group sessions up to 4 people. There are no general memberships. The only people who can come in whenever they want are the members of the Sask. Olympic lifting team and us powerlifters. I even have a key so I can go workout at 3am if I ever get the urge :p

If you can't tell, I love this gym!

North
06-08-2007, 11:35 PM
nice squats, and it sounds like a sweet gym

Built
06-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Magical hamstring stretch: sit backward on a low incline bench - it has to be long enough for your heel to rest on the bench. One leg up the bench, the other on the floor. Pull your body gently toward your outstretched leg - bit of a bend in that leg is fine. You should feel the stretch right in the belly of the muscle.

Nice to see you back. :)

getfit
06-09-2007, 04:15 AM
The title of your journal is awesome!

Chubrock
06-09-2007, 07:30 AM
What are you weighing now hand cream boy?

Noxon
06-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Don't ask about the title, it was three things that happened to be laying around my computer desk
Believe me, I had no intention of asking. :zipit: Some things are just better left unsaid.

So, welcome back to journal land, I suppose. Any luck finding test subjects for the whey suppositories?

Very nice gym! Small and personable > gigantic with ten of everything.

deeder
06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
nice squats, and it sounds like a sweet gym

Thanks North! and yeah it really is a sweet gym!

Magical hamstring stretch: sit backward on a low incline bench - it has to be long enough for your heel to rest on the bench. One leg up the bench, the other on the floor. Pull your body gently toward your outstretched leg - bit of a bend in that leg is fine. You should feel the stretch right in the belly of the muscle.

Nice to see you back. :)

Hmmm... I might have to give that a try! Thanks Built!

The title of your journal is awesome!

I hoped it would get some attention :ninja:

What are you weighing now hand cream boy?

I weighed in last night after my workout at 191lbs. That's the heaviest I've ever been in my life! I seem to be anywhere between 188-190lbs lately.

Believe me, I had no intention of asking. :zipit: Some things are just better left unsaid.

So, welcome back to journal land, I suppose. Any luck finding test subjects for the whey suppositories?

Very nice gym! Small and personable > gigantic with ten of everything.

Haha, nope. No one wants to try them for some weird reason!

I agree. I'd rather workout at Adrenaline than some commercial gym or my university gym. The atmosphere is alot more conducive to getting ridiculously strong :p

deeder
06-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I had a good workout today. Ridiculous pumps with all the "high rep" stuff today:

Close Grip Bench Press - paused
bar x 10
95lbs x 8
135lbs x 4
3 x ( 185lbs x 8 )
7 x 185lbs --> the 6th just about didn't come up... the 7th I didn't pause and just about didn't get it... No point going for 8

Tricep Extensions:
3 x ( 6 x 95lbs )

Rear Delt Raises:
3 x ( 8 x 30lbs )

Wide Grip Pullups:
3 x ( 10 x BW + 15lbs )

My weight today: 190.5lbs :)

Built
06-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Watch it with the wide grips - they can be murder on the RC. How wide do you go?

Noxon
06-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Nice session, deeder. You doing your tri extensions with the bar?

Sensei
06-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Ditto.

Nice set up! Definately all you need to get super strong. Looking forward to the journal.

Chubrock
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Nice Close Grips man. Don't let me stay in front of ya bro.

TommyBoy
06-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm pulling sumo now!
F****n' right on brother! Good stuff. Sounds like a sweet gym.

deeder
06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Watch it with the wide grips - they can be murder on the RC. How wide do you go?

Maybe 4 inches past the shoulder on each side?

Nice session, deeder. You doing your tri extensions with the bar?

Yup, just lying on the bench...

Ditto.

Nice set up! Definately all you need to get super strong. Looking forward to the journal.

:)

Nice Close Grips man. Don't let me stay in front of ya bro.

Thanks Chub. Hopefully all this added weight will turn into some strength real soon!

F****n' right on brother! Good stuff. Sounds like a sweet gym.

Yeah it's awesome :)

Tonight's gonna be a speed bench workout. I'll post the details later.

Built
06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Narrow up your grip - you'll save your RC and hit your lats harder as an added perk. Shoulder-width or narrower.

deeder
06-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Narrow up your grip - you'll save your RC and hit your lats harder as an added perk. Shoulder-width or narrower.

Hmm... I've always found that I hit my lats harder with a wide grip... Or atleast it feels that way. I haven't had any problems with the width that I use... Is it ok to continue using this grip if I don't have any pain from it? Or should I just move it in to be careful?

deeder
06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Speed Bench Workout:

Bench Press: (surprised?)

bar x 20ish
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
8 x ( 145lbx x 3 ) --> With red bands double looped under the bench rack.

Floor Press:
3 x ( 205lbs x 5 ) --> These were really easy today. I think I could have done another 10lbs no problem. All paused.

Millitary Press:
50kg x 5
3 x ( 55kg x 5 ) --> I think that's 126lbs or something close? Not so great... But strict form and after all the other pressing it's enough to tire me out.

Neutral Grip Pullups:
3 x ( BW + 25lbs x 10 )

It's been raining the past few days and today it got up to about 30 degrees. It was stupid humid in the gym. By the time I finished my first warm-up set I was sweating bullets. I had a good workout anyway though!

Weight today.... Drumroll please! I new PR: 194.5lbs

I had supper at my grandparents and I was sooo stuffed I didn't even know if I was going to be able to workout! Gotta eat over there more often and I'll hit 200lbs REAL quick!

Stumprrp
06-12-2007, 12:24 AM
awesome workout big D

Clifford Gillmore
06-12-2007, 12:28 AM
So you staying away from teh forvm now? There is only about 3-4 people there that can actually type and make a solid point about anything, I may drop in lol.

Gym sounds sweet! I'd love a key to a gym.

Built
06-12-2007, 01:35 AM
There's no net gain from wide grips, and possible risk to the RC. Play around with the width. Try one arm at a time if you want to really feel 'em engage.

Chubrock
06-12-2007, 06:14 AM
Solid pressing Deeder. It was 95F the other day out in the garage where I lift. Absolutely blew.

Noxon
06-12-2007, 06:15 PM
LOL @ Centigrade and Canadians

Good workout deeder... Grats on the PR! ;)

Sidior
06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I like the title, looking forward to following your progress again.

deeder
06-12-2007, 11:34 PM
awesome workout big D

Thanks Stump! Although I think you've got me mistaken with someone else... I'm hardly big! :windup:

So you staying away from teh forvm now? There is only about 3-4 people there that can actually type and make a solid point about anything, I may drop in lol.

Gym sounds sweet! I'd love a key to a gym.

Yeah, I'm annoyed by all the stupid routines and recommendations being thrown around.. I stopped posting except in my journal and occasionally in the powerlifting section after about a month... Even the powerlifting section pisses me off because Powerfreak posts all his 1000lb half squats and everyone thinks he's a ****ing god.

There's no net gain from wide grips, and possible risk to the RC. Play around with the width. Try one arm at a time if you want to really feel 'em engage.

I'll work my way in narrower.... I can't even move myself with one arm!

Solid pressing Deeder. It was 95F the other day out in the garage where I lift. Absolutely blew.

so about 35C I think? It definitely sucks! Atleast you don't have to do much of a warmup!

LOL @ Centigrade and Canadians

Good workout deeder... Grats on the PR! ;)

Celcius makes alot more sense to me than Fahrenheit... Two perfect measurements.. The freezing and boiling point of water, 0 and 100 degrees :)

And thanks!

I like the title, looking forward to following your progress again.

Thanks man, keep checking. I plan on making waves this year!

deeder
06-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I had a really great workout today! The gym was "packed"... There were 6 other people there today! Today was my deadlift day:

Sumo Deadlift:

Damnit! I forgot my book at the gym! Haha, alright, from memory:

bar x 20ish
70kg x 10
110kg x 5
The rest of the sets I was standing on a 2 inch board.
110kg x 3
150kg x 3
2 x ( 170kg x 3 ) --> about 374lbs I believe.

Speed squats:
4 x ( 2 x 225lbs + green bands)
3 x ( 2 x 225lbs + black mini bands double looped) --> these weren't so speedy :p I'm not too sure but I would guess that the bands add close to 200lbs at the top. The squat racks have extensions on the bottom to loop the bands under so they are right on the floor basically...

Hammer Curls:
2 x ( 55lbs x 8 )

Did some ab stuff after... Some hanging leg raises bringing my legs right up so my shins touched the chin up bar. These were alot harder than I thought they would be... I found I was pulling with my hip flexors and not my abs. I got the hang of them after a few sets of having my quads cramp up though!

Did some twisting oblique type stuff with a band to finish off and headed home to have a chocolate bar and hamburger helper! Yum!

Weight today: 192lbs

deeder
06-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I had another awesome workout today! Bench was really fast and strong!

Leg Up Bench Press: All paused
bar x 20ish
95lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
190lbs x 2
3 x ( 8 x 190lbs ) --> Doing these I can really tell that the speed work is paying off BIG TIME!

2 Board Press:
4 x ( 225lbs x 5 )

Lateral Raises:
3 x ( 8 x 45's )

T-Bar Row:
25lbs x 10
70lbs x 10 --> This is the first time I've ever done a T-bar row and I pulled a little fast on the first rep and nailed myself in the chest with the 45lb plate :(
3 x ( 115lbs x 10 ) --> Squeezed for a second at the top on every rep.

Clifford Gillmore
06-14-2007, 04:43 AM
Nice leg up work deeder, must work for you.

Chubrock
06-14-2007, 08:48 AM
How'd you like pulling off the platform cream boy?

deeder
06-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Nice leg up work deeder, must work for you.

Thanks Risk. I really find it makes me work on pulling my shoulder blades together and pulling the bar apart. If I don't I feel like I'm going to roll off the bench :thumbup:

How'd you like pulling off the platform cream boy?

It's a love/hate relationship... I absolutely ****ing hate doing them... But... Wait... No... It's purely a Hate relationship. They suck balls. This was my 3rd week of pulling off a 2 inch board. Next three weeks will be off a 1 inch board then 3 weeks before Provincials off the floor in a suit.

Chubrock
06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
You pull heavier than me, but I have been pulling with a Sumo stance for a bit longer, so take my advice for what it's worth. The combo of DE DLs off the platform, and heavy RDLs really helped my pulling take off. As odd is it may sound, I ended up doing a lot of RDLs with a sumo stance and seemed to have some very good results from it.

Stumprrp
06-14-2007, 09:09 AM
great bench work deeder.

Clifford Gillmore
06-14-2007, 09:11 AM
You pull heavier than me, but I have been pulling with a Sumo stance for a bit longer, so take my advice for what it's worth. The combo of DE DLs off the platform, and heavy RDLs really helped my pulling take off. As odd is it may sound, I ended up doing a lot of RDLs with a sumo stance and seemed to have some very good results from it.

Yannow, I've never done a sumo RDL. Its something I should really look into.

Chubrock
06-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Ya talk about absolutely destroying the hams and glutes. I love the movement.

deeder
06-14-2007, 09:49 AM
great bench work deeder.

Thanks big guy!

Ya talk about absolutely destroying the hams and glutes. I love the movement.

They sound brutal! I might do them this Friday instead of straight leg deads.

North
06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Nice Bench

ddegroff
06-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Lookin' strong bro!

I love T-bar rows.

TommyBoy
06-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Leg Up Bench Press
Could you explain what this is. I've never heard of it. Nice lifting.

Noxon
06-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Glad you're getting good workouts in deeder, lifts lookin' great man.

deeder
06-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Nice Bench

Thanks North!

Lookin' strong bro!

I love T-bar rows.

I really liked the way I felt but I hit myself in the chest REALLY hard! I was sore for a good hour after my workout :p

Could you explain what this is. I've never heard of it. Nice lifting.

Are you serious? Awesome, I get to teach something to one of the big boys! All it is is benching with your feet off the ground... I hold my legs so that my thighs are perpendicular to the ground and my knees are at 90 degrees. I know a few guys who just hang their legs off the end of the bench.

Glad you're getting good workouts in deeder, lifts lookin' great man.

Thanks Noxon!

TommyBoy
06-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Are you serious? Awesome, I get to teach something to one of the big boys! All it is is benching with your feet off the ground... I hold my legs so that my thighs are perpendicular to the ground and my knees are at 90 degrees. I know a few guys who just hang their legs off the end of the bench.
Oh jesus christ....now I know what you're talking about.....why do you do this? I thought you were a powerlifter?

deeder
06-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh jesus christ....now I know what you're talking about.....why do you do this? I thought you were a powerlifter?

Yeah I figured you would have seen them before.

Why do I do them? Well..... It really makes me focus on keeping my shoulder blades in tight or else I feel like I am going to roll off the bench. It also makes it really difficult to arch at all so my range of motion bigger than my normal bench and I figure it must be somewhat good for the core :nod:

Now it's my turn... Why don't you do them? What do you know that I don't? hahah

TommyBoy
06-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah I figured you would have seen them before.

Why do I do them? Well..... It really makes me focus on keeping my shoulder blades in tight or else I feel like I am going to roll off the bench. It also makes it really difficult to arch at all so my range of motion bigger than my normal bench and I figure it must be somewhat good for the core :nod:

Now it's my turn... Why don't you do them? What do you know that I don't? hahah
First off, you're extremely argumentative and you enjoy debating....I like it!

The setup in the bench press is extremely crucial. I bet 99% of people who bench in the gym don't use enough leg drive. This comes from the bodybuilding mentality that the bench press is strictly a chest exercise. I setup the same way with 95lbs as I do with 400lbs. You can't just wing it, and then focus on the setup when it's time for big weights. Each bench press that you do in the gym should emulate your competition bench. Just my thoughts.

Clifford Gillmore
06-15-2007, 12:34 PM
I agree with Tommyboy, if you need a hand off with 250lbs for a bench, get a hand off with 135. My leg drive sucked for a long ass while until I bought the road to the arnold dvd (I think I've watched about 20 times), and seeing the crazy **** that Ryan was doing drives it home.

deeder
06-15-2007, 02:14 PM
First off, you're extremely argumentative and you enjoy debating....I like it!

The setup in the bench press is extremely crucial. I bet 99% of people who bench in the gym don't use enough leg drive. This comes from the bodybuilding mentality that the bench press is strictly a chest exercise. I setup the same way with 95lbs as I do with 400lbs. You can't just wing it, and then focus on the setup when it's time for big weights. Each bench press that you do in the gym should emulate your competition bench. Just my thoughts.

I am not argumentative!!! :windup: Naw seriously though... I just like to try to understand things. I'll take advice and pointers however I can get them and will try almost anything to get stronger or better my technique but it's always nice to know why I'm doing something too :thumbup:

I have 3 bench days a week... Leg up, speed and close grip. Obviously I can't work on my setup on the leg up day but the speed and close grip bench days I set up for every set like it was a max. Well, except for my grip when I do close grip obviously. My leg drive probably isn't as good as it could be... What can I do to improve upon it?

Sidior
06-15-2007, 02:18 PM
I always found clenching my ass while benching helped keep me tighter and allowed me to use more leg drive.

TommyBoy
06-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I have 3 bench days a week... Leg up, speed and close grip. Obviously I can't work on my setup on the leg up day but the speed and close grip bench days I set up for every set like it was a max. Well, except for my grip when I do close grip obviously. My leg drive probably isn't as good as it could be... What can I do to improve upon it?
3 bench days...wow, I wish I had your shoulders. I can barely handle 2 per week.

Well, I can't really teach you to use more leg drive, you just need to learn it for yourself. As you've noticed, with the new IPF rules in effect, we have to have the entire foot on the ground as well as the ass, shoulders, and head. I personally am not in favour of this new rule, but there's nothing I can do about it. So you have to figure out for yourself what works best for you: feet under your body, or feet out front. I used to do feet out front, wide stance. But, I also benched with my head slightly off the bench. I can't do that anymore, so in order to maintain effective leg drive and still keep my head on the bench, I put the feet underneath me. I find that when I'm lowering the bar to the chest, I tuck my elbows and squeeze my lats while I push my feet through the floor. It's a simutanious thing: squeeze the head into the traps, belly up, elbows in, lats tight, feet through floor--wait for the call, then shoot it up keeping everything as tight as it was before, then flare the elbows just before lockout.

deeder
06-15-2007, 03:44 PM
3 bench days...wow, I wish I had your shoulders. I can barely handle 2 per week.

Well, I can't really teach you to use more leg drive, you just need to learn it for yourself. As you've noticed, with the new IPF rules in effect, we have to have the entire foot on the ground as well as the ass, shoulders, and head. I personally am not in favour of this new rule, but there's nothing I can do about it. So you have to figure out for yourself what works best for you: feet under your body, or feet out front. I used to do feet out front, wide stance. But, I also benched with my head slightly off the bench. I can't do that anymore, so in order to maintain effective leg drive and still keep my head on the bench, I put the feet underneath me. I find that when I'm lowering the bar to the chest, I tuck my elbows and squeeze my lats while I push my feet through the floor. It's a simutanious thing: squeeze the head into the traps, belly up, elbows in, lats tight, feet through floor--wait for the call, then shoot it up keeping everything as tight as it was before, then flare the elbows just before lockout.

Benching 3 days a week is nothing for my shoulders! 5 years of waterpolo and 3 of speed swimming were ALOT harder on them than this! Then again I'm not using the kind of weight you are... Who knows how long this will last...

I think I'm doing most of the things you mentionned... I'm just starting to get used to keeping m lats tight and I'll work some more on the leg drive.

TommyBoy
06-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Benching 3 days a week is nothing for my shoulders!
Can I borrow your shoulders.

deeder
06-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Can I borrow your shoulders.

Only if I get credit for whatever weight you put up with them :thumbup:

deeder
06-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Quick workout today... I thought I was going out with some friends soon after work but it turns out one is "too tired" and the other is "broke"... Damnit.. Now I gotta find something to do tonight :p

Squats:
bar x 10
135lbs x 10
225lbs x 5
3 x ( 275lbx 8 ) --> raw, not quite atf but they were all definitely below parallel...

Straight Leg Deadlifts:
8 x 100kg
3 x ( 8 x 130kg ) --> used wrist straps for these.

Tortured myself with the foam roller for about 15 minutes after this... Damn my IT bands are tight!

ddegroff
06-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I've been lucky and haven't delt with IT problems. They suck forsure.

Nice quick workout, those are the best.

deeder
06-15-2007, 09:08 PM
I've been lucky and haven't delt with IT problems. They suck forsure.

Nice quick workout, those are the best.

I haven't had any problems either... They were just tight as hell when I was doing the foam roller thing....

deeder
06-18-2007, 09:36 PM
This weekend officially sucked ass. Friday night I went to train early and had a real quick workout because I was supposed to be going out with a buddy.. Our plans ended up falling through and then we were gonna go hang with some girls and when we got the their place they had gone out somewhere! I ended up just chilling with some people later that night so it turned out ok...

I went camping Saturday night and promptly crashed my motorcycle when we got out there. A trip to a little hospital and 7 stitches later I got back to the campground only to deal with a guy I haven't seen in years blacking out and telling everyone he was going to walk home and **** like that.

Sunday morning the CO's kicked us out at 7:30 in the morning because none of us bothered to go register our sites... We probably would have just been told to go pay but they had been called to come quiet us down about 6 times the night before so they weren't too pleased with us.

So I packed up my tent (in the rain) and rode my bike (in the rain) back to Regina. It was the most excruciating ride of my life. I had to force my knee up on to the peg and could barely sit straight because my knee was so swollen and sore.

Other than some cosmetic damage my bike seems ok. The windshield and right rear view mirror need to be replaced and I'm not even going to worry about the scratches and **** on the side panel... It's an old bike anyway. My own body is a little worse for wear. Like I said, 7 stitches on my right knee and some road rash on my right arm and hand. My knee was swollen all to hell last night and I could barely bend it. It's loosened up considerably today but I probably won't be squatting or deadlifting for a few weeks.

I don't think there's anything torn or pulled in my knee... Just swollen and sore from the impact. If anyone knows some good ways to speed up the healing process or ways to get squatting and deadlifting at 100% again once it feels better... Any advice is appreciated... I've never really had to deal with an injury before.

Anyway, I still went to the gym and did my speed bench day today:

Speed Bench:
bar x 20ish
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 6
8 x ( 135lbs x 3 ) with red bands criss-crossed

Floor Press:
3 x ( 4 x 225lbs )

Seated DB Press:
47.5lbs x 8
2 x ( 57.5lbs x 8 )
60lbs x 8

I really surprised myself with the seated DB press. Since the last time I did these (a long time ago) my strength on them has improved a TON! I used to struggle to do 50lbs for 5.

ddegroff
06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Nice workout bro!

Sucks about the knee. All I would say is some ice and IBprofen will do the trick. You could also wrap the knee with an ace bandage. Wrap from bottom of the knee towards the top. This will help the lymph system out with reducing the swelling.

GL with the healing.

deeder
06-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Nice workout bro!

Sucks about the knee. All I would say is some ice and IBprofen will do the trick. You could also wrap the knee with an ace bandage. Wrap from bottom of the knee towards the top. This will help the lymph system out with reducing the swelling.

GL with the healing.

Thanks for the tip about wrapping it. That combined with Advil and ice has my knee back to a pretty normal shape!

ddegroff
06-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the tip about wrapping it. That combined with Advil and ice has my knee back to a pretty normal shape!

That's great. I've never done the wrapping thing either, I just know it works. Ice/NSAID's always do the trick.

When are you squatting again? lol

deeder
06-20-2007, 10:41 PM
I had another bench workout today... Man do I ever wanna deadlift :(

Leg Up Bench:
bar x 20
135lbs x 10
185lbs x 5
195lbs x 8
195lbs x 7 --> failed on 8
190lbs x 7 --> damnit, failed again on 8

Ok, next week I'm going back to sets of 5.

2-Board Press:
3 x ( 5 x 225lbs )
I was wiped from the leg up bench and my hand hurts like a bitch from my fall... I've got a nice scrape on my palm that is right where I usually hold the bar when benching. Anyway, that's why I'm a bitch and didn't do a 4th set like I was supposed to :p

Lateral Raises:
3 x ( 12 x 40lbs )

DB Row:
3 x ( 8 x 110lbs ) --> I did these standing with one hand on a rack. I usually do them kneeling on a bench...

Lones Green
06-20-2007, 10:42 PM
damn man, you had a pretty ****ty weekend. hope the knee gets better. nice lifting in here, i need to stop by more.

Stumprrp
06-20-2007, 10:42 PM
good stuff big Deeder.

deeder
06-20-2007, 10:45 PM
That's great. I've never done the wrapping thing either, I just know it works. Ice/NSAID's always do the trick.

When are you squatting again? lol

Well... It'll be a little while anyway... The stitches will probably come out Monday. I doubt I'll feel up to it for atleast a week after that... Who knows though.

ddegroff
06-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Cool you'll be back in no time.

Strong work on the benching especially with a cut on your hand.

Noxon
06-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Ah man, I haven't read this recently 'cause I've been so busy. Sorry to hear about your knee and your bike, man. Injuries suck, but at least you didn't strain anything. You should be back to the squats and deads in no time. Ice, rest and light stretching on a regular basis... Especially ice it often and regularly.

Nice lifting despite the setbacks man. Keep it up!

deeder
06-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Cool you'll be back in no time.

Strong work on the benching especially with a cut on your hand.

Ah man, I haven't read this recently 'cause I've been so busy. Sorry to hear about your knee and your bike, man. Injuries suck, but at least you didn't strain anything. You should be back to the squats and deads in no time. Ice, rest and light stretching on a regular basis... Especially ice it often and regularly.

Nice lifting despite the setbacks man. Keep it up!

Thanks guys!

deeder
06-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Today's workout was great. Instead of doing my close grip bench to my chest I did it to a one board and man what a difference. My shoulders felt great and I was able to throw on quite a bit more weight than I think I would have been able to otherwise:

Close Grip Bench:
bar x 2oish
135lbs x 8
185lbs x 5 --> started using the board on this set.
205lbs x 5
3 x ( 215lbs x 5 )

I taped the first set at 215 and I'll throw it up on youtube pretty quick here.

Standing One Arm Tricep Extensions
3 x ( 30lbs x 8 )

Bent over rear delt raises:
3 x ( 8 x 30lbs )

Pullups --> Built, if you're reading this... I did them shoulder width. :)
10 x BW + red band
2 x ( 8 x BW + 2 red bands )

I just looped the bands under the rack like I do for my speed squats. I didn't have to mess around holding a db in my legs and I really really liked the way these felt.

I'd rate this workout a 10/10!

Weight today:
192.5lbs

dblockspky
06-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Thats a good workout man. Sorry about the accident, **** sounds like it hurt.

Stumprrp
06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
awesome benching

ddegroff
06-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Can't wait to see the video, strong work bro.

mickyjune26
06-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Strong lifting here. That's a lot of volumn on the boards.

deeder
06-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Thats a good workout man. Sorry about the accident, **** sounds like it hurt.

Thanks bro. It did hurt but I'm not seriously injured so I have that to be thankful for... Oh and my bike still runs! ;)

awesome benching

Thanks big guy!

Can't wait to see the video, strong work bro.

Thanks, the vid is in the members pic and vid section...

Strong lifting here. That's a lot of volumn on the boards.

I hadn't ever done a close grip to a one board. Actually, come to think of it, I had never done anything to a one board. I was just feeling it out seeing what I thought I could do with it.

deeder
06-26-2007, 08:41 AM
I had another good workout last night. I guess if there's one good thing about my knee being messed up is that it's forcing me to concentrate on bench press and giving me lots of time to recover between sessions.

Speed Bench:
bar x 20
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
8 x ( 145lbs x 3 ) --> Double looped red bands.. About 40lbs of tension at the top I think?

I really worked on setting up with a high arch and really tight lats and back. Felt really good. I can't wait to get in my shirt again. This speed work is really helping me with my power off the chest.

Floor Press:
3 x ( 4 x 225lbs ) --> Long pauses

Seated DB Shoulder Press:
8 x 60's
8 x 65's
8 x 70's --> HUGE PR!

Neutral Grip Pullups:
BW x 10
Black Band looped under rack and held behind my knees for 2 sets of 10. These were tough!

Stumprrp
06-26-2007, 08:43 AM
very nice DB press bro

ddegroff
06-26-2007, 10:16 AM
70x8 is huge bro nice work.

The video was sick as well.

Hows the knee?

Sidior
06-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I liked the video as well. Looking strong in here brother, seems you are healing up rather nicely.

Chubrock
06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Strong pressing as of late deeder. Looks like I'll have to step it up a bit.

dblockspky
06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice floor pressing man. And congrats on the PR those a good numbers

deeder
06-26-2007, 12:28 PM
very nice DB press bro

Thanks Stump! :thumbup:

70x8 is huge bro nice work.

The video was sick as well.

Hows the knee?

Thanks dude! The knee is coming along. Swelling has gone down a ton since it first happened... Still a little swollen and stiff but it's getting better.

I liked the video as well. Looking strong in here brother, seems you are healing up rather nicely.

Enough to be able to use some leg drive again :p In the video I'm sure you guys noticed that my right leg was further away from the bench than my left one. Even that position was quite uncomfortable for my knee.

Strong pressing as of late deeder. Looks like I'll have to step it up a bit.

Even if you do it won't matter.. I'm on my way to a 700lb bench ;) haha, someday :windup:

Nice floor pressing man. And congrats on the PR those a good numbers

Thanks!

Noxon
06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Sweet DB presses deeder. Hope your knee is feelin' better man.

deeder
06-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Sweet DB presses deeder. Hope your knee is feelin' better man.

Thanks bro! It's definitely healing... I did a few body weight squats today... They felt fine going down but as soon as I'd start coming back up I'd get some pain.

deeder
06-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I had another wicked awesome amazing PR setting workout today :D

The extra rest from not squatting and deadlifting is definitely paying off... I'll be dropping the leg up bench day and changing my close grip bench day to shirted work in a couple weeks to prepare for provincials. Hopefully I'll be back squatting and deadlifting near 100% by then... Who knows.. Anyway, today's workout:

Leg Up Bench:
bar x a ton
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 3
5 x ( 5 x 205lbs ) --> I did a 5x5 with these 4 weeks ago (I think) and used 190lbs! HUGE PR! I was only going to do 3 sets of 5 when I started but I figured why not keep going!

3-Board Press:
3 x 245lbs
2 x ( 3 x 275lbs ) --> 10lb PR, but I did it for 2 sets!

T-Bar Rows:
160lbs on the bar x 10 for 3 sets --> Big PR here too... But this is only the second time I've done these, so that's to be expected :p

Standing Lateral Raises:
3 x ( 10 x 45lbs )

All in all, another amazing workout!

deeder
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Here's a couple of vids from tonights workout. I'm still looking for a way to turn these videos... I just take them on my cell phone and the only way it stands is if I open it and lay it on its side. Help me out here guys!

275lbs x 3 -- 3 board press
6TE6erX_Z70

Last of the 5x5 at 205lbs
-qPTiKR5iKA

RedSpikeyThing
06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
sweet benching man! It's nice to hit a bunch of PRs in a row.
How much do you weigh? Your lifts are huge!

BTW here's how to rotate the video with Windows Movie Maker: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0075.mspx#EPD

North
06-28-2007, 12:49 AM
nice benching deeder, it looks like you got more in you on those sets:thumbup:

Stumprrp
06-28-2007, 07:07 AM
sweet pressing man! haha thats like my ROM with 5 board, crappy arch, yours is great.

deeder
06-28-2007, 08:03 AM
sweet benching man! It's nice to hit a bunch of PRs in a row.
How much do you weigh? Your lifts are huge!

BTW here's how to rotate the video with Windows Movie Maker: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0075.mspx#EPD

I weighed in at 192lbs after yesterday's workout. Not quite huge yet, I'll get there though :strong:

nice benching deeder, it looks like you got more in you on those sets:thumbup:

Thanks North. I dunno if I had more in me. Some people can do the 10 second grinders... I'm not one of them. If the bar isn't moving fairly quick, I won't make the lift.

sweet pressing man! haha thats like my ROM with 5 board, crappy arch, yours is great.

That's hilarious man! I guess having T-Rex arms helps me out too :hump:

BCorn
06-28-2007, 08:27 AM
strong lateral raises!

deeder
06-28-2007, 08:45 AM
strong lateral raises!

Damn man... I set a couple PRs on the bench and all you have to say is strong lateral raises? :swear:

Haha, thanks bro.

ddegroff
06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Huge PR's bro. I like the video's on the side, it's original. LOL

BCorn
06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
well, all your lifts are way stronger than mine so i'm impressed by all of it........the lateral raises just caught my attention for some reason.

deeder
06-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Huge PR's bro. I like the video's on the side, it's original. LOL

Haha yeah man. That's why I taped it sideways... To be original :D

well, all your lifts are way stronger than mine so i'm impressed by all of it........the lateral raises just caught my attention for some reason.

Thanks BCorn. There's always someone stronger man. Always.

deeder
06-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Decent workout tonight... I spent 9 hours at the Salvation Army today. I'm finally done my 100 hours of community service! Woot!

Anyway, here's my workout:

Close Grip Bench:
bar x lots
135lbs x 8
185lbs x 5 --> This and the rest of the sets to a 1-board
225lb x 1
3 x ( 225lbs x 5 )

1 arm DB tricep extension:
3 x (35lbs x 6)

Standing Rear Delt Raises:
3 x ( 8 x 35lbs )

Pullups:
2 x (BW + black band x 10)
BW + black band x 9

Did some squats with the bar and a few deadlifts with the bar throughout my workout just to test out my knee. The deadlifts felt fine. Wide stance squats were ok, but my regular stance was still kind of painful. Getting a LOT better than it was though :)

Clifford Gillmore
06-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Nice bench assist workout mang, rear delt raises suck.

deeder
07-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Last night's workout HURT! I have a brutal sunburn so benching sucked ass...

Speed Bench
bar x lots
95lbs x 8
135lbs x 5
8 x ( 135lbs + 40lbs of chains x 3 )

Floor Press:
3 x ( 4 x 235lbs )

Millitary Press:
3 x ( 5 x 60kg )

NG Pullups:
2 x ( Black band x 10 )
black band x 8

Edit:
Oh yeah, I'm going to do some deadlifting tonight and see how it feels on my knee. If it goes OK I'll do some light squatting on Friday. :thumbup:

Sidior
07-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Hope the knee feels good.

deeder
07-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Well I had my first deadlift workout since my accident... It was alright, not really good but not really bad either. It felt ok during the sets, a little weak but no pain. Really tight immediately after each set but loosened up fairly quickly...

Conventional Dead:
8 x 60kg
Sumo Dead:
5 x 60kg
5 x 100kg
2 x ( 5 x 120kg )

Hammer Curls:
2 x ( 10 x 55lb DBs)

Some light ab work with bands and on a ball.

Skipped the speed squats I usually do after deadlifts for obvious reasons. I think squatting on Friday may be a little more painful than this. I'm going to do it to a box and see how it feels.

Stumprrp
07-03-2007, 10:06 PM
nice CGBPs earlyer man and nice deads even though i dont know kilogram other then x 2.2

Bako Lifter
07-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Those were awesome CGs from the other day. I don't know what the "accident" was but good luck on recovering dude.

Lones Green
07-04-2007, 09:09 PM
nice deads man.

deeder
07-06-2007, 06:14 PM
nice CGBPs earlyer man and nice deads even though i dont know kilogram other then x 2.2

Thanks Stump. Yup 2.2lbs/kg. So my heaviest set of deads was only 265lbs. I'll push it a little next week and hopefully the week after that I'll be in my deadlift suit. I'm only gonna train with it once before provincials :evillaugh

Those were awesome CGs from the other day. I don't know what the "accident" was but good luck on recovering dude.

Thanks Bako! I laid down my motorcycle and got 7 stitches in my knee. The guys I train with (both have kinesiology degrees) think I bruised the tendon below my knee cap and that's what causing me pain.

nice deads man.

Thanks!

deeder
07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I didn't get around to posting my workout on Wednesday so I'll start with that:

Leg Up Bench Press:
bar x lots
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 3
215lbs x 5
215lbs x 4 --> failed on the 5th...
205lbs x 5

3 - board press
3 x ( 3 x 245lbs )

I was having a terrible workout and I didn't feel like doing accessory work so I just left it at that.

Today's workout went better :)

Squats:
bar x 8
135lbs x 5
205lbs x 5 --> This set and the rest of them to a box about 1" below parallel
245lbs x 5
275lbs x 5

The first 3 sets were kind of painful on my knee. The last two weren't too bad. I don't know if it was just because I was warmed up or because I had to stay tighter with the heavier weight. Either way, I am happy that it went well.

SLDL:
100kg x 12
3 x ( 130kg x 8 )

These felt great except for the 4th rep of my first heavy set... I hit my knee with the bar... Didn't feel nice :P

DB Bicep Curls:
2 x ( 10 x 45lbs )

Did some ab/oblique work on a ball then spent about 15 minutes torturing myself with a foam roller.

Provincials is coming up soon. August 5th to be exact. I'm really excited for it even though I may not be lifting at 100%. We'll see though. It'll be my first competition in full gear and I should crush the other guy in my weight class. I plan on continuing to stuff my face and weighing in hopefully right under 90kg.

My goals for Provincials (which may change once I get a few sessions in my squat suit and deadlift suit):

Squat -- 451lbs -- 205kg
Bench -- 302.5lbs -- 137.5kg
Deadlift -- 506lbs -- 230kg

Total: 1259.5lb -- 572.5kg

Those numbers would get me a class II total. Still far from elite, but I'll get there ;) The provincial Junior record for deadlift is 230kg so if I can squeeze out more than that it'd be awesome!

deeder
07-07-2007, 07:37 PM
It's been so nice out lately so I figured I better take advantage of it. I called up a friend and we took my dog for a walk around the lake. Well... About half way around... Then I got tired... And my calves were burning... And I was sweating like mad. It was really only about a 3km walk but man... it sucked. I think I might just swear off cardio of any kind from now on... :P Either that or I might actually try to get my ass back into shape. I'm not actually in THAT bad of shape.. It was about 35 degrees out and I squatted yesterday... So I have a good excuse for all my troubles hahaha

I had a great workout after though!!!

Close Grip Bench:
bar x lots
135lbs x 10 -- This and the rest to a 1-board
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 3
3 x ( 235lbs x 5 )

BB Tricep Extensions:
3 x ( 8 x 95lbs )

Standing Rear Delt Raises:
3 x ( 10 x 35's)

Pullups:
3 x ( 6 x BW + red and black bands)

Noxon
07-07-2007, 07:52 PM
The guys I train with (both have kinesiology degrees)
Ha, well that's handy!

very nice CG PR there man, glad you had a good workout. When I first started lifting again after my knee injury, I almost always got pain towards the beginning of my routine and then it went away like yours is doing. I really don't have an explanation for it, but mine was the same exact way. Eventually it stopped hurting when I lift, now I forget about it. Unfortunately, my FORM doesn't forget and I tend to favor my right leg in things like squat and deadlift -- nip that in the bud if you notice yourself doing it. It's a real pain in the ass to correct down the line when you don't even realize you're doing it!

deeder
07-09-2007, 10:09 PM
I had a good workout today. Steve and Tracy (two of my training partners) got married two weekends ago so for the past little while everything's been crazy and I've done a lot of training on my own or on my own for half the workout just because they haven't been on a set schedule and they are the heart of our little group :p

Anyway, life's getting back to normal for them so training is getting back to normal with us :) Had a great session with everyone there:

Speed Bench:
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
8 x ( 3 x 135lbs + doubled red bands twisted 2x )

Floor Press:
3 x 225lbs
3 x ( 3 x 245lbs )

Millitary Press:
3 x ( 5 x 65kgs ) -- One of the guys I train with saw my first set of these and said, "Damn, this kid's shoulder strength is up! We're testing you at provincials." Lol, good times :)

Neutral Grip Pullups:
3 x ( 8 x BW + red and black bands )

Weighed myself at home today, scale said 200lbs even. It's usually pretty accurate. I'd be very happy if I weigh myself tomorrow and I'm at 200!

Bako Lifter
07-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Nice floor presses deeeeder. I did speed bench today too, and I don't know about you but those 9 sets get pretty boring.

Stumprrp
07-10-2007, 06:27 AM
strong floor press!

deeder
07-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Nice floor presses deeeeder. I did speed bench today too, and I don't know about you but those 9 sets get pretty boring.

I love speed benching! It's the only day I setup like I bench in a contest so I really work on my setup, try to arch as high as I can, etc.

strong floor press!

Thanks big guy :)

deeder
07-10-2007, 10:49 PM
OH GOD THE PAIN!!!!!! HOLY ****!!!! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME SUITS HURT THIS MUCH!!!

My squat suit came in and Steve brought me a nice little surprise. He knew I was gonna be buying a deadlift suit before provincials so he ordered me one that he usually doesn't carry.

So, I've got a size 46 Metal Viking Squatter to squat in and a size 46 Metal V-type squatter to pull in. Yup, that's right, full gear for provincials :) I didn't really expect to be putting a suit on today but here's how it went:

Sumo Pulls:
bar x 20ish
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
130kg x 5
160kg x 5
180kg x 2 --> My knee felt great on these. Sort of slow off the floor, but as soon as it moved about 3 inches it flew up. This is when Steve got to the gym with my suits... As soon as he gave it to me I was like man, I'm putting it on!
180kg x 1 --> I could barely get to the bar
200kg x 1 --> I literally held this one with my finger tips
210kg x 0 --> Couldn't get my grip set and dropped it right before lockout
210kg x 1 --> Gripped it a little better but would have liked to get a better grip before pulling.

That's 5kg less than my PB conventional pull and it absolutely flew up. I'm gonna get the suit on one more time before provincials and try to work on getting to the bar better... Any advice?

Oh yeah, that was my whole workout. I was there for 2 hours! Getting that suit on and off was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced!!!

Noxon
07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
LOL, did you have those suit slipper things?

Nice pulling man!

deeder
07-11-2007, 09:18 PM
LOL, did you have those suit slipper things?

Nice pulling man!

Nope. Thank God I don't have very hairy legs.

deeder
07-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Good workout today, managed to do my 3 sets of leg up bench with the weight I failed with on the second set last week. My legs have some pretty wicked welts and bruises from putting that suit on yesterday. Hopefully I'm alright to put on my squat suit on Friday. Well... I'm putting it on no matter what, hopefully it doesn't hurt too much hahaha. Anyway, here was my workout:

Leg Up Bench:
bar x lots
95lbs x 8
135lbs x 6
185lbs x 5
3 x ( 215lbs x 5 )

3-board press:
3 x ( 5 x 245lbs )

Lateral Raises:
3 x ( 12 x 45lbs )

T-bar Rows:
3 x ( 185lbs on the bar x 6 )

Sidior
07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Equipped lifting is fun!

Bako Lifter
07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Nice benching... but what does the leg up stuff help with? I've never done those before. Probably just takes away all leg drive right? Anything else?

deeder
07-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Equipped lifting is fun!

Sure is! But it's damn painful!

Nice benching... but what does the leg up stuff help with? I've never done those before. Probably just takes away all leg drive right? Anything else?

Yup, takes away the leg drive. It also really forces me to focus on squeezing my shoulders together or else I feel like I'm going to roll off the bench.

deeder
07-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Today was my first day in my squat suit. It went really well!

Started with a bunch of stretching and lots of squats and front squats with the bar.

135lbs x 5 -- knee was still a little tight, stretched some more
135lbs x 5
225lbs x 3
275lbs x 2 -- belt
315lbs x 1 -- belt
365lbs x 1 -- belt, wraps
405lbs x 1 -- belt, wraps, suit straps down
435lbs x 1 -- belt, wraps, suit -- This felt like the world's longest squat but as soon as I hit depth it blasted right up no problem.

Called it a day there because the wraps tore open where I had my stitches a little bit. That's still a 30lb PR from my best squat and my knee still isn't 100%. I'll probably open with that at provincials. I think 475-485lbs is a reasonable goal.

This workout was really fun... Myself and another guy had our first workouts in squat suits and two of the other people I train with did some shirted work. Needless to say we were all there for about 2.5 hours :p

Some guys are coming in from Moose Jaw tomorrow to train so I'll be putting my shirt on. It should be another good session tomorrow :)

Bako Lifter
07-13-2007, 11:51 PM
That's some mighty nice squattin'. I'm assuming it didn't hurt that bad this time? Lol :p.

Sidior
07-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Awesome work in the suit buddy. Why were you wrapping your knees before you even had your suit on though?

deeder
07-14-2007, 01:48 AM
That's some mighty nice squattin'. I'm assuming it didn't hurt that bad this time? Lol :p.

It hurt like a bitch but I LOVE wearing a squat suit! It kept me alot more upright and when I hit depth it still felt like I was really high even though it felt like it took forever to get there.

Awesome work in the suit buddy. Why were you wrapping your knees before you even had your suit on though?

Uhhh... I dunno? Haha, I was told to. :thumbup:

ddegroff
07-14-2007, 10:16 AM
That **** sounds painful bro.

Strong work on those squats and deads! Glad the knee is feeling better.

deeder
07-14-2007, 02:04 PM
That **** sounds painful bro.

Strong work on those squats and deads! Glad the knee is feeling better.

Thanks ddegroff!

deeder
07-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Shirted work today. I was at the gym for 3 hours!!! There were 7 of us today and 2 of us put on shirts and 2 more put on squat suits. Gotta love getting ready for a competition.

Bench Press:
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 3
225lbs x 2
245lbs x 1 -- first set with a shirt. Should have done it to a board. It's amazing how much tighter my shirt is just from putting on about 5 more pounds...
275lbs x 1 -- A little bit easier to touch.
305lbs x 1 -- Pretty easy touch, slowed down at the lockout but probably could get another 10-15lbs. That's 30lbs more than last time I put the shirt on :thumbup:

Skull Crushers:
3 x ( 75lbs x 12 )

Rear Delt Raises:
3 x ( 10 x 25lbs )

Neutral Grip Pullups:
3 x ( 8 x BW + 2 black bands )

I'm really psyched for Provincials. My numbers are looking real good! :)

Bako Lifter
07-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Sweeeeet, 300+ bench. I take it you weren't too hung over? I got the impression that you were pretty drunk last night :p.

Chris Rodgers
07-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Nice job ya gear whore!

deeder
07-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Sweeeeet, 300+ bench. I take it you weren't too hung over? I got the impression that you were pretty drunk last night :p.

Haha, actually I had only had 3 beer. I was just in a goofy mood. I guess having a great squat session then going out as a "wing man" for your STILL unsuccessful friend will do that to ya. Actually... Come to think of it... I think it's the fact that he actually brings a designated wing man to the bar with him :bang:

Nice job ya gear whore!

LMAO! Not really a whore... maybe more of a weekend slut :rolleyes:

deeder
07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Speed Bench:
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
(155lbs x 3) -- red band looped under bench
8 x ( 155lbs x 3 ) -- 2 red bands looped under bench

Floor Press:
225lbs x 4
3 x ( 255lbs x 3 )

Millitary Press:
3 x ( 4 x 70kg ) -- I was gonna do 3 sets of 5 but failed on the 5th rep in the first set :(

Pullups:
3 x ( 6 x BW + 2 black bands )

Weight today: 196.5lbs

ddegroff
07-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Strong shirted bench bro!

Is it eaiser to get on and off now?

Guido
07-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Wassup. Getting into the gear now I see. That's great. It's definitely fun the first few times you get to experience new PL equipment. My only caveat is that you should be careful since you are still very new to the gear and you are getting into it not long before a PL meet. If I were you, I'd be cautious about using new gear for all 3 attempts in the meet. I would probably open raw in the squat and bench just to be safe and make sure you get good attempts. For the second and third attempts, go ahead and use the gear if you want to. You could probably go ahead and use the suit for all 3 in the DL because it's not as difficult to learn and it's hard to f-up a DL. As long as you can get to the bar and get a grip on it, your good to go.

Take it all FWIW, but as a veteran of 8-9 PL meets, I've had enough bad experiences trying out new gear in meets to realize I probably should have taken a more conservative approach. Nothing sucks more than bombing out of a meet. :(

On a different note, that's some damn nice gear youve got there. I'd love to try out one of those Metal suits. I hear they are great. And yeah, they definitely take some getting used to. Gotta up the pain threshold a little bit!

deeder
07-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Strong shirted bench bro!

Is it eaiser to get on and off now?

Actually it's getting harder. I'm up 8-9lbs (I think?) since the first time I put it on. The very first time I wore it I touched 135lbs with little difficulty. On saturday I struggled to get 245lbs to my chest. I ended it up touching it about 3 inches onto my belly :moon:

Wassup. Getting into the gear now I see. That's great. It's definitely fun the first few times you get to experience new PL equipment. My only caveat is that you should be careful since you are still very new to the gear and you are getting into it not long before a PL meet. If I were you, I'd be cautious about using new gear for all 3 attempts in the meet. I would probably open raw in the squat and bench just to be safe and make sure you get good attempts. For the second and third attempts, go ahead and use the gear if you want to. You could probably go ahead and use the suit for all 3 in the DL because it's not as difficult to learn and it's hard to f-up a DL. As long as you can get to the bar and get a grip on it, your good to go.

Take it all FWIW, but as a veteran of 8-9 PL meets, I've had enough bad experiences trying out new gear in meets to realize I probably should have taken a more conservative approach. Nothing sucks more than bombing out of a meet. :(

On a different note, that's some damn nice gear youve got there. I'd love to try out one of those Metal suits. I hear they are great. And yeah, they definitely take some getting used to. Gotta up the pain threshold a little bit!

Thanks for dropping by Guido! I'm really not concerned about bombing. I felt really great squatting in the suit and I've benched in the shirt a few times and am pretty comfortable in it. I'm going to hit my openers between now and the meet so I should be good. Even if I do bomb, it's not a big deal to me. I'm doing the 3-lift and the bench only contest. It's going to be a pretty small and relaxed meet. All the lifters know each other really well and I've already got my qualifying total for Nationals so I don't have to worry about that.

While it will probably be a little more stressful than usual I am really looking forward to lifting in full gear. All the guys (and the girl!) I train with will be there so I'll have lots of help and support.

I can't compare the Metal equipment to anything else but I really love it! It's been super easy to learn so far and I'm sure that once I learn to use it better I'll be hitting bigger and bigger numbers with it.

Detard
07-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Solid lifting deeder. When is the meet and where is it? Also any details on nationals and where its going down?

Wingman FTW. hahahah. My buddy brought me to a party as a designated wingman cuz this girl was always with her friend so I was supposed to take the friend on a "walk" while he worked his magic. Didnt work out so good. The situation kinda got flipped and he ended up with the friend and I ended up with the hot girl.

deeder
07-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Solid lifting deeder. When is the meet and where is it? Also any details on nationals and where its going down?

Wingman FTW. hahahah. My buddy brought me to a party as a designated wingman cuz this girl was always with her friend so I was supposed to take the friend on a "walk" while he worked his magic. Didnt work out so good. The situation kinda got flipped and he ended up with the friend and I ended up with the hot girl.

Thanks Detard :) Provincials are on August 5th in Melville, Saskatchewan.

Nationals are in Niagra, Ontario. April 9 - 13. It should be a blast!

Chubrock
07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Nice benching man.

RedSpikeyThing
07-17-2007, 08:13 PM
nice workout deeder. April 9-13 in Niagra? I might have to come check that out. Maybe we can get some other WBBers in :)

deeder
07-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Nice benching man.

Thanks Chubby :thumbup:

nice workout deeder. April 9-13 in Niagra? I might have to come check that out. Maybe we can get some other WBBers in :)

That'd be awesome! It's an incredible experience.

deeder
07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Well I'm proud to say I kept up with the big boys today. I started my deadlifts sumo but my groin was feeling really tight and kinda sore... Probably just from pulling and squatting pretty heavy last week in those suits. Anyway, I decided to switch back to conventional for the day.

Sumo Deads:
bar x lots
2 x ( 70kg x 3 )
2 x ( 120kg x 3 )

Conventional Deads:
150kg x 3
170kg x 3
180kg x 8 -- touch and go with loose belt
190kg x 8 -- touch and go with loose belt

There were 4 of us working on the same bar and I was the lightest by about 45lbs... After the 3 other guys did a set of 8 at 180 I said what the hell... Why not. My conventional dead was feeling really strong so I went for it.

Speed box squats -- about 1.5 inches above parallel
135lbs x 4
225lbs x 3
5 x ( 225lbs x 2 ) + green bands

Hammer Curls:
50lbs x 10
60lbs x 6

Weight today: 191lbs... Wtf? Must have been really dehydrated or something today...

I was amazed at my deadlifts today. That's a big PR and I haven't been training my conventional dead. I'm still gonna pull sumo at provincials though because I think I can get a lot out of that suit if I can get my grip set up right.

Sidior
07-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Strong workout. Speed work at the end looks like no fun though.

North
07-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Great deadlifts deeder

Bako Lifter
07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Awsome deadlifts deeeeeeeder.

Detard
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey man i'll see ya at nationals. I'm about an hour and a half from niagra. I'll definitly be down there to check it out.

deeder
07-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Strong workout. Speed work at the end looks like no fun though.

It wasn't bad at all actually. I felt really strong despite the jello-ishness of my legs :thumbup:

Great deadlifts deeder

Awsome deadlifts deeeeeeeder.

Thanks guys!

Hey man i'll see ya at nationals. I'm about an hour and a half from niagra. I'll definitly be down there to check it out.

Nice! It'll be good to meet a fellow WBBer!

Sidior
07-18-2007, 09:32 PM
When is nationals again? I may come on by just to watch.

deeder
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Well I had a bit of a disappointing experience today. I knew my training partners weren't going to be at the gym today so I decided I'd head to my university gym so I wouldn't have to lift alone. Even though I got fired from there (have I told this story???) they let me in without paying which was good :thumbup:

My benching was going alright even though it felt really weird not doing it on a competition bench. The bench was lower and the rack isn't adjustable... Oh well, I worked through it, I was doing leg up anyway so it only mattered for the few seconds I was getting my shoulders dug into the bench...

Leg Up Bench:
bar x lots
95lbs x 8
135lbs x 6 -- wow... I forgot how slippery a bar can be when it's a cheap ass bar and I don't have chalk :(
185lbs x 3
3 x ( 215lbs x 5 )

I've put a lot of weight on since I last trained at this gym and I've gotten a lot stronger. There was a bunch of guys there that I had talked to once or twice and I swear almost every one of them made a point of walking by the bench and telling me how big I'm getting. :) Hell yeah! Ego boost! Too bad I'm still the lightest of the guys I train with by at least 40lbs.

Hmm... No boards... Hadn't thought of that one.. Ok, rack presses it is:

225lbs x 5
2 x ( 245lbs x 5 ) -- Right as I started my second set, the lights turn off... ****! Summer hours! I forgot! They close at 9, not 10! ****! Took enough time to walk to the water fountain and back then tried to squeeze in a third set...
3 x 245lbs

Ok, so I only missed shoulder and lat accessory work but it would have been nice to finish my workout. Plus I was kind of enjoying all the ego-pumping!

It'll be back to Adrenaline to squat on Friday with Jason... A 6'2", 250lb, 10-12% bodyfat, beast. I guess I won't be the strongest guy in the gym on Friday ;)

deeder
07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
When is nationals again? I may come on by just to watch.

Nationals are in Niagra, Ontario. April 9 - 13.

Geeze man, that was only a few posts up :ninja: hahaha

Sidior
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
haha I skim through sometimes...sue me

deeder
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Pretty quick workout today... But it was still good. My hams and lower back were still fried from deadlifting on tuesday:

Squats:
bar x lots
135lbs x 5
135lbs x 5 -- add parallel box
225lbs x 4
275lbs x 5
315lbs x 3

Sumo RDL:
3 x (100kg x 10)

DB Bicep Curlzz:
47.5lbs x 15
57.5lbs x 5

Light abs

ddegroff
07-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Strong past workouts bro!

I'm surprised you got one last set in. I hate summer hours.

deeder
07-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Strong past workouts bro!

I'm surprised you got one last set in. I hate summer hours.

Thanks :D It surprised me more than anything actually... The funny part was when I walked back up to the front and bitched about how I forgot it was summer hours the two people working said I could stay and finish if I wanted. Even though I got fired it seems like I still have some pull there! That'll make things easier this year when I get caught using chalk and making too much noise again :p

A few of our little training group go to the U of R and we're planning on doing a few squat and bench days there in gear and basically making a huge ordeal out of it. It should be funny as hell. :thumbup:

deeder
07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Saturday July 21st

Close Grip Bench Press
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5 -- this and the rest of the sets to a 1-board
225lbs x 3
245lbs x 4 -- I was aiming for five and got it about half way up... Oh well, next time...

Tricep Extensions:
3 x ( 95lbs x 8 )

Rear Delt Raises:
3 x ( 35's x 10 )

Wide Grip Pullups:
3 x ( 10 x BW + purple band )

Not a bad workout considering I woke up at 1:50pm and got to the gym at 2:15pm... I was supposed to meet one of my training partners there at 2! Woops!

Bako Lifter
07-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Dayum deeder, your close grips are nasty.

Detard
07-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I second that

Chubrock
07-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Good to see your Tris getting stronger. How'd you like the sumo RDLs?

Sidior
07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
I agree with everyone else, nice CGBP brother.

deeder
07-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Dayum deeder, your close grips are nasty.

I second that

I agree with everyone else, nice CGBP brother.

Thanks guys! Give it time... I'll be doing 300+ CG presses soon :strong:

Good to see your Tris getting stronger. How'd you like the sumo RDLs?

They absolutely killed me!!! I got an ass cramp on the 7th rep of my last set and fought for the last 3 reps. It was brutal in the best kind of way!

deeder
07-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Well I did my last shirted work today before provincials. It went pretty good. As long as I remember to drive my heels through the floor and push my gut up I should be good :) Started the day off with speed bench (not in the shirt obviously)

bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
8 x ( 135lbs x 3 ) + red bands

Now on to a bit heavier stuff to get ready to put the shirt on:
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 2
245lbs x 1 -- I haven't touched this weight raw in a while and I couldn't believe how EASY it came up. I was tempted to try for 275lbs raw but figured I shouldn't push myself before putting the shirt on.
275lbs x 1 --> shirt, 2-board
295lbs x 1
305lbs x fail --> misgrooved it, didn't push my belly up and it went towards my head as I pushed up...
305lbs x 1 --> easy as pie

I'm going to open with 305lbs. It seems to be the least I can touch with without really having to worry about ****ing it up.

My goal for my 3rd lift is 330lbs. I'd be PSYCHED if I could nail that!

Putting my V-type squatter on tomorrow for my last suited deadlifts before the 5th. Hopefully this time I can set myself up real nice and get my grip set.

nhlfan
07-24-2007, 01:30 AM
it's great to see you cracking 300 deeder! good luck with provincials

TommyBoy
07-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Nice benchin' deeds.

Bako Lifter
07-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Awesome session deeeder. Is the V-type helping you with pulling? And do you pull sumo or conv?

KevinStarke
07-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Awesome benching man congrats on busting through the 300 mark. Once you learn the shirt better it'll only get crazier.

deeder
07-24-2007, 04:25 PM
it's great to see you cracking 300 deeder! good luck with provincials

Nice benchin' deeds.

Thanks guys!

Awesome session deeeder. Is the V-type helping you with pulling? And do you pull sumo or conv?

Yeah it's definitely helping. The first time I had it on I pulled 210kg sumo which is 5kg less than my best conventional pull. It flew off the ground no problem. If I can get my grip set really well I think I'll be good for another 15-20kg.

Awesome benching man congrats on busting through the 300 mark. Once you learn the shirt better it'll only get crazier.

400 here I come! Ok... That might be a while :rolleyes:

Bako Lifter
07-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey man, do you have the Viking V-Type or just the V-Type?

deeder
07-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey man, do you have the Viking V-Type or just the V-Type?

Just the regular material V-type. I'm only using it for pulling sumo and I was told I'd get pretty much the same pop off the ground and it'd be easier to get to the bar.

Bako Lifter
07-24-2007, 07:03 PM
You squat in it too right?

deeder
07-24-2007, 11:30 PM
You squat in it too right?

Nope.. I squat in a Viking Squatter. Regular cut because I have a fairly narrow stance...

Noxon
07-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Sweet pressing Deeder! I look forward to seeing the results from provincials.

deeder
08-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, I haven't updated in a while. I've still been hitting the gym hard but I've been really busy. Provincials are tomorrow, I'm opening with:

Squat - 200kg (440lbs)
Bench - 135kg (297lbs)
Deadlift - 210kg (462lbs)

I could be close to the provincial bench press and deadlift records. They are 147.5kg and 230kg. We'll see how things go tomorrow though! Wish me luck!

KingWilder
08-04-2007, 05:47 PM
looks good man

good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do well

ddegroff
08-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Looks good bro, good luck!

Sidior
08-04-2007, 07:30 PM
GL bro, tear it up!

KingWilder
08-06-2007, 10:37 AM
so, how did it go?

Chubrock
08-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Congrats on the total man. Great job.

Fuzzy
08-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Ill def be by deeder.

Results from the last comp were insane.

deeder
08-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone! If you haven't seen it, check out my thread in the powerlifting section.

I did a ton of foam rolling on Monday and I think it really helped. Tuesday I did some "cardio" which basically involved super high rep one arm DB snatches (30 reps with each arm), core work with a medicine ball and walking on a high incline on the treadmill for 10 minutes.

Last night I did a super light and short bench workout just to get the blood flowing. 3 sets of 5 at 155lbs on bench and some DB rows with 35lbs.

Tonight I'll be squatting really light. Heaviest set will probably be around 225lbs. Next week I'll be hitting hard again.

deeder
08-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Damn... 225 wasn't happening tonight. I was gonna do a couple sets of 5 with it but we did sets of 10 instead. I did 3 sets of 10 at 185lbs. Then on to some stiff leg deads with 90kg for 2 sets of 10 reps.

I did a little bit of band work for my hips then spent a good 35 minutes foam rolling my quads and IT bands.

A buddy of mine from Ottawa is in town so he was training with me tonight. It was nice not being the smallest guy in the gym today :p

Weight today: 202lbs

deeder
08-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Had a good bench workout last night. Stayed with higher reps but still went pretty heavy.

Leg Up Bench Press:
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 3
3 x ( 195lbs x 8 )

3-board press:
225lbs x 3
2 x ( 275lbs x 3 )

Lateral Raises:
3 x ( 45's x 8 )

T-bar row:
2 x ( 115lbs on bar x 15 )
150lbs on bar x 15 --> last few reps weren't so pretty.

KevinStarke
08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Strong benching deeds, nice 3 board.

deeder
08-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Well I'm back to the normal swing of things... Speed bench day today:

bar x 15
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
8 x ( 135lbs x 3 + red bands )

Floor Press:
3 x ( 5 x 225lbs )

Military Press:
50kg x 8
2 x ( 60kg x 6 )

NG Pullups:
2 x ( 10 x BW + purple band )

Pullup with one arm on the pullup bar and 1 arm on a rope hanging from the bar (kinda like an assisted 1 arm pullup I guess):
BW x 9 each side

Fuzzy
08-14-2007, 04:47 AM
Strong pressing.

YOu look like a fast lifter, whats your speed like on DE?

deeder
08-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Strong pressing.

YOu look like a fast lifter, whats your speed like on DE?

Thanks Fuzzy. Becoming a more explosive lifter over the past few months has really helped my lifting. I guess my DE stuff is pretty quick. I've never really thought to compare it to the guys I lift with or anything..

Fuzzy
08-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Speed is damn handy! Take it from an Oly lifter.

When i squat i am to actually get off the floor

Bako Lifter
08-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Nice floor presses Deeder. :thumbup:.

deeder
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Speed is damn handy! Take it from an Oly lifter.

When i squat i am to actually get off the floor

Yeah no doubt... Oly lifting's all about speed.

Nice floor presses Deeder. :thumbup:.

Thanks Bako :thumbup:

deeder
08-14-2007, 10:22 PM
First heavy deadlift day since provincials... Well, heavy for 10 bloody reps. That's right, I did 3 sets of 10 reps for deadlifts. I'm way out of shape guys...

Sumo Deads:
bar x a bunch
60kg x 8
60kg x 8 --> 2" platform
100kg x 5 --> 1" platform
130kg x 5 --> 1" platform
3 x ( 145kg x 10 ) --> 1" platform

Speed Box Squats (green bands):
5 x ( 2 x 185lbs ) --> really light, really fast

Biceps and... wait for it!!! I trained abs!!!

Bako Lifter
08-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Sick deads Deeds. I've been thinking about repping 315, but I know it'll suck, haha. I think you got a typo in there. Sumo "deads" right?

deeder
08-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Sick deads Deeds. I've been thinking about repping 315, but I know it'll suck, haha. I think you got a typo in there. Sumo "deads" right?

Yeah that was a typo. Thanks :hello:

Sidior
08-14-2007, 11:15 PM
10 reps :O oh nozzzz!11!!

RedSpikeyThing
08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
3 sets of 10 reps for deadlifts.

Great lifting! What the **** is wrong with you?

Detard
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Only 10 reps? Pussy ;)

Solid deadies mr. deeds. Abs? No Way?! Your not a virgin anymore

deeder
08-15-2007, 12:17 PM
10 reps :O oh nozzzz!11!!

Hey man... When you've been doing triples and 5's for the last 3-4 months 10's are ****ing killer. :cool:

Great lifting! What the **** is wrong with you?

I had trouble walking out my squats at provincials and I think it's because my core is getting weak. I'm gonna try to start doing abs more regularly.

Only 10 reps? Pussy ;)

Solid deadies mr. deeds. Abs? No Way?! Your not a virgin anymore

Maybe I'll go back to my old ways and train abs 6 days a week. Do some 1 hour dryland sessions with the swimmers where it's pretty much all abs :rolleyes:

Detard
08-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Maybe I'll go back to my old ways and train abs 6 days a week. Do some 1 hour dryland sessions with the swimmers were it's pretty much all abs :rolleyes:

When I was training with an athletic trainer he basically had me running, curls and then 40 minutes of abs. I got a solid workout for abs if u want it. Completely destroys my core. It also made my squat jump up about 10lbs (while bulking)

deeder
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
When I was training with an athletic trainer he basically had me running, curls and then 40 minutes of abs. I got a solid workout for abs if u want it. Completely destroys my core. It also made my squat jump up about 10lbs (while bulking)

Naw.. Squatting and deadlifting twice a week (it will be raw for a while) should help bring it up to par pretty quick. So basically I'm just gonna do some fairly light abs after each lower body day to help...

Noxon
08-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Haha... You kill me man. Nice lifting in here. I've been away a while, I was thinking you must have competed at provincials by now but after hunting through the thread I could not find any results. Did I miss it, or is it in Sept and not Aug?

deeder
08-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Haha... You kill me man. Nice lifting in here. I've been away a while, I was thinking you must have competed at provincials by now but after hunting through the thread I could not find any results. Did I miss it, or is it in Sept and not Aug?

I started a thread in the powerlifting section. There's vids in there too.

deeder
08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
I had a wicked workout tonight! I really wasn't feeling it after work... Didn't even want to go... But I dragged my ass to the gym and during my warmup I felt really strong. Damn am I glad I went:

Leg Up Bench:
bar x 10
95lbs x 8
135lbs x 5
185lb x 3
205lbs x 3
3 x ( 225lbs x 5 ) --> 10lb PB :)

2-board Press:
3 x ( 245lbs x 5 )

Lateral Raises:
3 x ( 8 x 45's )

Tbar rows:
3 x ( 10 x 180lbs on the bar )

nhlfan
08-16-2007, 11:02 PM
so what's the deal with Adrenaline? is it a powerlifting gym?

deeder
08-17-2007, 08:43 AM
so what's the deal with Adrenaline? is it a powerlifting gym?

It's a "personal training studio". The guys who own it, Steven and Derek, both have kin degrees and their CSCS certification. The gym isn't actually open to the public. The only way you can train there is if you hire Steve or Derek as a personal trainer or if you're part of Sask Powerlifting or Sask Olympic lifting. By that I mean that you can't just buy a membership and come in anytime.

The Sask Olympic Weightlifting team rents some space from them where they have a few lifting platforms and a bunch of weights and bars so they come in and train at around 5 everyday. As for the powerlifters, there's 4 of us right now (including Steve and his wife) and we'll have one more when university starts.

deeder
08-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Trained at my university gym today. I had a great time squatting there with all eyes on me :D

Squats:
bar x lots
135lbs x 10 --> paused squats
185lbs x 8 --> paused squats
225lbs x 5
275lbs x 3 --> loose belt
3 x ( 315lbs x 8 ) --> HELL YEAH! Oh, and with my belt tight

SLDL:
3 x ( 275lbs x 10 ) --> My legs already felt like jello before even starting these! Damn they were hard!

2 really light sets of abs then I got a cramp and called it quits :p

DB Bicep Curls:
2 x ( 10 x 45's )

Bako Lifter
08-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Nice workout Deeder. Would you say the tighter the belt the more it helps? And doesn't it get in the way at the very bottom of your squat? Mine does...

deeder
08-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Nice workout Deeder. Would you say the tighter the belt the more it helps? And doesn't it get in the way at the very bottom of your squat? Mine does...

When I first started wearing a belt it felt like it was getting in the way but I think it just takes some getting used to.

I love squatting with my belt really tight. Some people keep it a little looser but I say tighten it up as much as you can man. I read an article on EFS about wearing you belt tight for squats... I'll see if I can find it for you.

Edit:
I just took a quick look and I can't seem to find it... Maybe it wasn't on EFS... I'm heading out so I'll do a little more looking tomorrow...

Fuzzy
08-18-2007, 01:27 AM
on a serious note deeds, ab training will do wanders for your stability.

I know jerks and snatches were veritably impossible till I began really working my abs.

Try weighted bridges, i can easily do 2 minutes with a 20kg plate on my back.

Chubrock
08-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Heavy Abs man! Nice squatting Creamy.

nhlfan
08-19-2007, 05:55 PM
It's a "personal training studio". The guys who own it, Steven and Derek, both have kin degrees and their CSCS certification. The gym isn't actually open to the public. The only way you can train there is if you hire Steve or Derek as a personal trainer or if you're part of Sask Powerlifting or Sask Olympic lifting. By that I mean that you can't just buy a membership and come in anytime.

The Sask Olympic Weightlifting team rents some space from them where they have a few lifting platforms and a bunch of weights and bars so they come in and train at around 5 everyday. As for the powerlifters, there's 4 of us right now (including Steve and his wife) and we'll have one more when university starts.

Good to know, I've never heard of it before.

deeder
08-20-2007, 10:03 PM
on a serious note deeds, ab training will do wanders for your stability.

I know jerks and snatches were veritably impossible till I began really working my abs.

Try weighted bridges, i can easily do 2 minutes with a 20kg plate on my back.

Ugh... All this damn ab work... I know it's supposed to help me... But is it really worth it?! :alcoholic Maybe I'll do some planks tomorrow...

Heavy Abs man! Nice squatting Creamy.

Creamy? Umm.... Thanks gooey! :nod:

Good to know, I've never heard of it before.

It's pretty new and they don't advertise much... Be watching for some posters around campus... We're probably going to be plastering them everywhere all year.

deeder
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Saturday Aug. 18

Close Grip Bench Press:
bar x a lot
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
185lbs x 5 -- 1 board
2 x ( 225lbs x 8 ) -- 1 board
6 x 225lbs -- 1 board; failed on the 7th rep halfway up... :(

1 arm DB tricep extension:
3 x ( 35lbs x 8 )

Band Rear Delt umm.. things...:
3 x 15 each arm

Pullups:
1 set for each arm of pullups with 1 arm on the bar and one arm on a rope for 8 reps

1 set 8 normal pullups.

Monday Aug. 20

Speed Bench:
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
8 x ( 3 x 145lbs ) -- red bands

Floor Press:
3 x ( 5 x 225lbs )

Millitary Press:
3 x 60kg
3 x ( 4 x 70kg )

NG Pullups:
3 x ( 10 x BW + purple band )

Bako Lifter
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Nice milies deeds.

deeder
08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Nice milies deeds.

Thanks buuuuddy

deeder
08-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Yesterday's workout turned out to be kind of a disappointment... I was doing sets of 10 again for deadlifts and I think I sprained my right glute... I did 3 sets of 10 at 150kg. The third set was really tough but I didn't feel any pain. I tried to do some front squats after and it felt like my glute was gonna tear. I called it a night and went home to sit in the jacuzzi.

I have a big knot in my right glute right now, hopefully I'm feeling better by friday so I can squat.

I went to my university gym again so I could lift with the cute receptionist from my work ;) Here's what I did today:

Leg up Bench:
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 8
185lbs x 5
205lbs x 3
3 x ( 225lbs x 5 )

No boards, so I did some super-isolation triceps work instead:

Rope Pulldowns:
12 x 105lbs
3 x ( 10 x 120lbs )

Lateral Raises:
3 x ( 12 x 40's )

DB Rows:
3 x ( 8 x 100lbs )

nhlfan
08-22-2007, 09:38 PM
It's pretty new and they don't advertise much... Be watching for some posters around campus... We're probably going to be plastering them everywhere all year.

I'll look for them.

Bako Lifter
08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
The bench is getting strongggg.

Fuzzy
08-23-2007, 04:32 AM
Look after that glute. Little bit of rolling on a tennis ball and a roller will dow anders in a day or two.

deeder
08-24-2007, 12:28 AM
The bench is getting strongggg.

For some reason, when I read this it sounded like Yoda in my head. "Yes, the Bench is strong with this one."

Look after that glute. Little bit of rolling on a tennis ball and a roller will dow anders in a day or two.

Sitting on it is painful enough at times... I dunno if I'll be squatting tomorrow... If I do, it'll be pretty light :(

deeder
08-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Had a ****ty squat workout today... The glute wasn't bothering me too much but I was just exhausted. I've been moving people from our current building to our new building at work for the past 2 days... It basically involves stacking 100-200lb plastic "moving bins", pulling them on a cart across the street (that's right... Our new building is right across the street), then unloading them.

My lower back, hammies, actually, everything, is just ****ed right now...

Squats today, 5x5 at 225lbs. No energy for anything else... I think I'm gonna go to bed :thumbup:

deeder
08-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Well I didn't post my CG bench work out from Saturday or my speed bench workout from yesterday... Nothing special in either of them really so I'm not gonna bother... Here's what I did today:

Sumo deads:
bar x 10
60kg x 8
60kg x 5 -- this and the rest off a 1 board
100kg x 4
140kg x 2
3 x ( 150kg x 10 ) -- touch and go

Front Squats:
3 x ( 6 x 185lbs )

DB Bicep Curlz:
3 x ( 8 x 55lbs )

Abs. Ugh, I hate training my abs... Oh, and I snapped the handle on a band thingy because I wasn't being careful when I was switching it from one hand to the other... It flew out of my hands and smashed against the squat rack it was tied off too... **** :S

North
08-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Nice deads and front squats deeder. I hate training abs too.

deeder
08-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Leg up bench workout from last night:

Leg up bench: (duh)
warmup sets.... then,
3 x ( 235lbs x 5 )

3-board press:
3 x 275lbs
3 x ( 3 x 285lbs )

Lateral Raises:
3 x ( 40's x 10 )

One arm DB rows:
2 x ( 10 x 100lbs )

TommyBoy
08-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Nice work homeboy.

deeder
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Nice work homeboy.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Stumprrp
08-31-2007, 01:01 PM
bench is getting awesome

deeder
08-31-2007, 02:00 PM
bench is getting awesome

Hell yeah! Hopefully it'll pay off big at my next meet.

deeder
09-01-2007, 06:36 PM
For those of you who didn't follow the 315 for reps contest... My workout yesterday was basically one set...

Squats:
bar x lots
135lbs x 10
225lbs x 5
275lbs x 3
315lbs x 1 -- loose belt
315lbs x 18 -- tight belt and loose knee wraps

SLDL:
3 x ( 10 x 225lbs )

I felt like I was gonna die after this workout... Note to self, don't go out for drinks after your last day of a summer job with the people from work then expect to feel good doing high rep squats :p Oh... Maybe another note to self... Have a few drinks before all my workouts because DAMN! 18 reps!!! Woot! hahaha

Today's workout was good. I slept until 2:30 in the afternoon then met one of my training partners at the gym at 4:30....

CG Bench:
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 8
185lbs x 5 -- 1 board
225lbs x 2 -- 1 board
3 x ( 5 x 245lbs ) -- 1 board

EZ bar tricep extensions:
12 x 75lbs
2 x ( 12 x 95lbs )

Rear Delt Raises:
3 x ( 15 x 25lbs )

Lat pulldowns with green bands - 3 sets of 10

KevinStarke
09-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Strong squats and real strong close grips man.

deeder
09-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks Kevin!

Here's what I did today:

Speed bench:
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 5
145lbs x 5
8 x ( 145lbs x 3 ) - red bands

Floor Press:
3 x ( 5 x 235lbs )

Seated DB Press:
3 x ( 8 x 70lbs)

NG Pullups:
8 x BW + 2 black bands
7 x BW + 2 black bands
6 x BW + 2 black bands

Kind of disappointed with the pullups... But oh well.. Watcha gonna do...

KevinStarke
09-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Great DE work man, speed bench with bands followed by floor presses and shoulder presses with 70's, damn man lookin strong.

deeder
09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Great DE work man, speed bench with bands followed by floor presses and shoulder presses with 70's, damn man lookin strong.

Thanks Kevin. I'm making great progress with my bench lately. We'll see soon if my "high" rep deadlifts and squats have helped much.

deeder
09-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Well I didn't get around to updating yesterday and tuesday... Here's the short version:

Tueday:
Sumo Deads - 3 x ( 5 x 455lbs ) -- tight belt; front squats, abs and bis

Thursday:
Leg up bench 3 x (8 x 215lbs ) it was easy and I did accessory stuff... :p

Heavy squat day today with some reverse bands. My hip flexors were absolutely killing me from pulling heavy on tuesday.

Squats:
bar x 10
135lbs x 8
225lbs x 5
275lbs x 2 -- loose belt
315lbs x 2 -- tight belt
365lbs x 2 -- tight belt, very loose wraps
385lbs x 2 -- tight belt, loose wraps (tried the new metal ones. They are stiffer and give alot more rebound it seems)
405lbs x 2 -- tight belt, tight wraps; fairly easy... Would have blasted through them if my hips weren't so bloody sore. My best with wraps and a belt is 405lbs for 1 rep. That was my third squat at a meet last new years... But, I guess a PR is a PR :D

Reverse bands:
2 x ( 405lbs x 5 ) -- blue bands; I was gonna do 3 sets originally but my hips really hurt after my second set... Time to pull conventional for a while.

Straight Leg Deadlifts:
3 x ( 10 x 100kg ) -- lots of speed, very little rest.

deeder
09-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Here's last saturday's workout... I've been busy lately with school and applying for part-time jobs and stuff... Anywho, here goes:

CGBP
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
185lbs x 5
205lbs x 5
225lbs x 4 -- add 1-board
3 x ( 245lbs x 5 )

Tricep Ext:
3 x ( 12 x 75lbs )

Rear Delt Raises:
3 x ( 12 x 25lbs )

Pullups:
3 x ( 10 x purple band )

And here's what I did tonight:

Speed Bench:
8 x ( 155lbs x 3 ) -- red bands

Floor Press:
3 x ( 245lbs x 5 )

DB Shoulder Press:
3 x ( 5 x 75lbs )

NG Pullups:
3 x ( 8 x BW + 35lbs )

Good workout tonight... Took my sweet ass time though :p The computer at the gym is broken so I brought it home with me... Gonna re-install windows xp pro and install microsoft office for them. Thank god for pirated software. :) It's paying for my membership next month :D

KevinStarke
09-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Your pressing is looking reat man nice close grips and floor presses.

deeder
09-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Your pressing is looking reat man nice close grips and floor presses.

Thanks! And don't worry, I'm deadlifting tomorrow! :p

Fuzzy
09-11-2007, 04:38 AM
I like your speed benching.

Good work

Jordanbcool
09-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Great PR deeder! Keep up the good work.

RedSpikeyThing
09-11-2007, 10:06 AM
great benching deeder! You're a beast

deeder
09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Fuzzy, Jordan and RST - Thanks guys!

I had a pretty rough deadlift day today... Note to self.. Don't eat 3 big burgers 30 minutes before doing sets of 10 for deadlifts.

Conventional Deadlifts:
bar x lots
60kg x 10
100kg x 8
140kg x 5
3 x ( 150kg x 10 ) -- loose belt

Speed box squats - about an inch below parallel:
5 x (3 x 185lbs) + green bands

Incline DB Bicep Curls:
2 x ( 8 x 35's )

A few ab exercises. Not a bad workout overall.. But I felt pretty sick after the deadlifts. It could also have something to do with this being my first time doing conventional deads in quite some time..

Bako Lifter
09-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Note to self.. Don't eat 3 big burgers 30 minutes before doing sets of 10 for deadlifts.

Well duh, haha. nice job deeds, awesome close grips from the other day too.

deeder
09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
****... I'm getting really bad at updating this damn journal. Workouts last week were all good. I was at school all day today then went to get trained for a ****ty-ass part-time job... I'm washing cars for a rental company. I didn't realize they'd think it would take me 5.5 hours to learn how to ****ing wash cars. I knew what had to be done in 10 minutes.

Anyway, I ended up getting out of there at 9:20pm. Got to the gym at 9:45.

Speed bench:
bar x lots
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 3
165lbs x 3
8 x ( 3 x 165lbs) + red bands

Floor Press:
7 x 205lbs

I was gonna do 3 sets of 10 for floor press but my shoulder was hurting on that first set. I didn't sleep well last night, I hadn't eaten supper and I was irritated about the excessive training... ****.. I told them I'm NOT working weekdays. Anyway, I left it at that. I'll make up for it tomorrow with a sick deadlift session.

deeder
09-20-2007, 11:18 PM
I randomly decided to put my bench shirt on today... I hadn't had it on since provincials and I figured today was as good a day as any.

Bench:
bar x 10ish
95lbs x 10
135lbs x 8
205bs x 5
225lbs x 4
245lbs x 2
265lbs x 1 --> This is a raw PR for me and it was fast and easy :)

Bench shirt on... It was quite a bit tighter than the last time I wore it...

315lbs x 1 -- 2 board
325lbs x 1 -- 1 board
330lbs x 1 -- ugly..... poor arch and because of that very hard touch
340lbs x 1 -- LOTS of speed of the chest, had to grunt a bit to lock it out. 10lb PR since provincials and seemed like an opener. I should have a video up of this lift tomorrow.

Tricep Extensions:
3 x (10 x 75lbs)

DB Lateral Raises:
3 x (8 x 45lbs)

Neutral Grip Pullups:
3 x (6 x BW + 35lbs)

I'm very happy with my benching today.. And as a side note... I went to robin's donuts after to work on some physics problems and solved two questions in about 30 minutes that I had spent about an hour and half on before my workout :D

nhlfan
09-21-2007, 12:22 AM
nice work, your bench is shooting up