PDA

View Full Version : Whey protein in hot weather

fpr
06-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I've been leaving my whey protein jug in my car so that I can mix it with water after my workouts. The problem is it's been in my car with 90 degree+ heat. Should I toss it (there's not too much left) or do you think it's still okay to consume?
Thanks

faithless
06-09-2007, 08:42 AM
on your protein container it says 'store in a cool dry place'.

whether the protein is effective now is hard to say.

fpr
06-09-2007, 09:44 AM
yes, I read that too :) Was just checking, it's probably shot.

Alex.V
06-09-2007, 11:06 AM
It's fine. Just horrible tasting.

getfit
06-09-2007, 12:48 PM
i couldn't imagine drinkin' whey hot ewwwwww!

Built
06-09-2007, 12:52 PM
on your protein container it says 'store in a cool dry place'.

whether the protein is effective now is hard to say.

"Effective"?

Wanna explain how dry protein becomes ineffective with heat?

faithless
06-09-2007, 12:59 PM
"Effective"?

Wanna explain how dry protein becomes ineffective with heat?

I didn't say it does that is why I said 'it's hard to say'.

Built
06-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Why is it hard to say?

faithless
06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Why is it hard to say?

Because it doesn't specifically say on the protein jar what happens if it's stored in hot weather. I only know that it should be kept in a cool place. Did I tell him that it was crap and that he should toss it out? No. I didn't tell him anything except what it says on the jar and that I couldn't really tell him if it works the same or not anymore.

Built
06-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh, hey, let's step back here.

I'm just wondering which effect it could lose from heat.

faithless
06-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think I really deserve this attitude so I'm not going to continue this.

Built
06-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Faithless, I apologize if you think I'm giving you attitude. I'm not - I'm just asking you a question.

If you don't know the answer, that's okay, just say so. Really.

I'll offer this - there are occasional debates about cooking whey protein and how this denatures the protein.

It does.

Is this what you were getting at?

faithless
06-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Faithless, I apologize if you think I'm giving you attitude. I'm not - I'm just asking you a question.

If you don't know the answer, that's okay, just say so. Really.

I'll offer this - there are occasional debates about cooking whey protein and how this denatures the protein.

It does.

Is this what you were getting at?

I was thinking about the time someone said that you shouldn't mix creatine with hot water or acidic juices. Combined with the label on the container of the protein jar I assumed that both supplements probably react similarly to heat. If that is the case, then heat MIGHT reduce the effectiveness of whey. Whether that means 50% difference or .000000000000000001 difference or no difference at all, I couldn't really tell that OP.

And I accept your apology Built. :smoke:

Built
06-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Okay - I don't think the OP is premixing it and drinking it hot. He's just leaving the tub in the car, dry.

Creatine isn't the same as protein powder, but this is indeed a valid point for creatine. It doesn't become ineffective in a heartbeat, but sitting around soaking in hot water for hours on end would do little to enhance its efficacy, to be sure.

Anyone who has cracked open a forgotten protein shaker cup ripe from the sun knows what putrid means, believe me - ROTTING most certainly reduces the efficacy of protein!

But merely heating up dry protein? Probably make it taste like ASS, but denatured protein is cooked protein - something we do to protein-rich food all the time. The body still knows how to use it just fine.

faithless
06-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh I C.

Built
06-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Cool.

Faithless, to quote Jessica Rabbit ... "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way"

Peace. :)

Alex.V
06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
And they say the Socratic method is dead...

mikey4402
06-09-2007, 04:58 PM
im just wondering why the high heat would make it taste like 'ass'. i have never left my protien in the heat so i havnt heard this before

Built
06-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Belial, it may not be dead, but from the looks of things I'm doing what I can to kill it ...

mikey - I'm figuring it will probably get kinda stale, and probably pick up some of the taste from the plastic jug. It might not. Be a brave soldier of science and report back for us k?

;)

fpr
06-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Well, if the heat has had any affect on it I haven't been able to tell. I've actually had the tub in my car since I bought it about 2 months ago -- when the weather was in the 80's. It's just now hit 96+ degrees so I assumed maybe it wasn't good. I haven't smelled it recently, maybe I should take a whoof of it before I go gulping it down :bash:

I just get a cold bottle of water, dump the whey in there and shake it. I recently bought powdered creatine. It should be alright for me to mix both the whey and creatine into one bottle, right? I mean, it's going to get mixed into my stomach eventually. PS: I'll start leaving supplements in the gym locker room from now on, just in case ;)

Built
06-10-2007, 01:20 AM
You're fine with how you're using both the whey and the creatine. :)

MMEI
06-10-2007, 11:52 AM
The only issue is denaturing the protein through the excessive heat. Same way some protein is compromised when eggs are cooked rather than eaten raw.

Btw, first post--hey everyone ;)

mikey4402
06-10-2007, 11:59 AM
The only issue is denaturing the protein through the excessive heat. Same way some protein is compromised when eggs are cooked rather than eaten raw.

Btw, first post--hey everyone ;)

i dont think the temp inside the car would get hot enough to denature the protein.