PDA

View Full Version : Excess protein = fat???

rapidride3
06-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I have been on a slow cut since Nov. of 06' I am an ex wrestler and soccer player. I started at 213 or so and i am now at 176lbs i am 5'8'' at hopefully around 8-9% bodyfat. taking in approx 2200 cals,, 120-140 g of carbs and still at 215g of protein?? at about 70- 80 g of fats. I have had my bodyfat tested by the same person 2 times. using the electroimpedance method. My goal is to be between 5-6% for a day or 2 so i can take some photos.

I do have some questions/fears. My lbm was first at 170 and has dropped about 2 lbs durng this cut to 168. I feel good and don't feel puny ,, i feel balanced. I do STILL however have a gut,, no six pack as of yet,,, just rib outline. The guy told me originally somewhere around 177 lbs after first test and then 174 lbs after second test after i lost a tad of lbm. Well,,, i originally thought i would be around 164-166 lbs to be at 5-6%??? he quickly said nooo you'll be losing lbm,, which made sense on paper,,, but not in the mirror. I am only doing 20-25 min of cardio a day. I have been losing avg. 1-2 lbs per week I am starting to get scared i may be losing lbm??? I will be checking it in about a week or so,,, after i get off of 3rd shift so my body can readjust itself.

I have on somedays lowered my protein to around 180 -190 grams and woke up feeling nice and tight,,, but i always get scared i might be wasting???? Is there any correlation between fat and too much protein??? ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS??? I hope i am not being punished for carrying a little gut for too long of a period of time????

Altephor
06-09-2007, 06:50 PM
My suggestion is, if you can't see abs, you're definitely NOT at 8-9%.

LouPac
06-09-2007, 07:25 PM
My suggestion is, if you can't see abs, you're definitely NOT at 8-9%.

Either that or he has to build up his ab muscles with heavy weights.

More protein doesn't = more fat, it's excess calories in general that = more fat.

rapidride3
06-09-2007, 08:29 PM
so i guess i'll check my bodyfat in 7-10 days. The last time i checked it at 183 lbs it was 10.2% I have heard that not all people see abs as early as others depending where each individual stores their fat??? I am currently at 176.

Noxon
06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
So I'm confused... You are in a caloric deficit and doing cardio but no weight training?

If you don't convince your body that you need the muscle you have, it tends to get rid of it pretty quick when you're eating well below maintenance calorie needs.

rapidride3
06-09-2007, 09:08 PM
No ,, i am definately weight training. 4 days a week for main bodyparts with a 5th day for calves,, abs,,

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Why do you have a day for calves and abs? That's awful. Write out your full routine so we can have a look. Days you go, exercises each day, sets/reps for each exercise, etc...

rapidride3
06-10-2007, 02:58 AM
I cannot maintain the intensity i want to after hitting my larger muscle groups. example when i murder quads and hamstrings on leg day i am not up for concentrating on my calves or abs,, so do these smaller muscles on a separate day. I will do abs 2-3 times a week and calves 1 time a week. P.S. i do work rotating shift work so i have to sometimes "get in where i fit in" so to speak.

Monday: 4 sets of squats 4 sets of leg presses, 4 sets of leg extensions 4 sets of stiff legged deadlifts /or hamstring curls. 20 min of cardio and maybe ifi 'm up to it very light ab work.

Tuesday:Chest and tri's I Alternate each week of incline barbell with flat bench dumbells or barbell flatbench with incline dumbell presses 4 sets each, 4 sets of pec deck 3 sets of 20 dips, 3 sets of tri pushdowns and 3 sets of reverse grip pushdowns and 3 sets of behind head tricep presses with a dumbell.

Wednesday: Back and bi's (i have 2 herniated discs and a messed up sacroilliac so i cannot do any "bread and butter" lifts. 3-4 sets of close grip seated pulley rows,, 3-4 sets of rowing machine, 3 sets of close grip lat pulldowns, 3 sets of reverse grip pull downs and 3 sets of wide grip pull downs 6 sets for biceps and then 20 min of cardio.

Thursday: off

Friday: Shoulders I alternate each week with 4 sets behind neck shoulder press /or front military press i superset dumbell side, front laterals and rear for 3 sets each. I do 4 sets of heavy shoulder shrugs with a barbell finished off with a neck exercise done with a halo type head piece. 20 min of cardio.

Saturday: Calves & abs: 3 sets of 30 on standing calf machine 3 sets of 30 on seated calf 3 sets of 100 front toe raises. And one set of 100 reps of calf raises on leg press for a burnout. I then do 12 sets of hard ab work on Saturday and 25-30 min of cardio.

Sunday off.

samj
06-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Monday: 4 sets of squats 4 sets of leg presses, 4 sets of leg extensions 4 sets of stiff legged deadlifts /or hamstring curls. 20 min of cardio and maybe ifi 'm up to it very light ab work.

Dont do leg extension and do calves instead.
How many reps are you doing?
Dont put SLDL OR Hamstring curls JUST do SLDL
Dont do the cardio unles its a little walk before you lift.

Tuesday:Chest and tri's I Alternate each week of incline barbell with flat bench dumbells or barbell flatbench with incline dumbell presses 4 sets each, 4 sets of pec deck 3 sets of 20 dips, 3 sets of tri pushdowns and 3 sets of reverse grip pushdowns and 3 sets of behind head tricep presses with a dumbell.

Scrap the pec deck.
To many reps for dips do weighted x 6-10
Scrap the pushdowns
Scrap the behind head tricep presses
Do close grip bench, dips and bench is enough for your triceps.
Personally i would do flat bb bench 3sets x 6, incline db press 3x6, dips 3x6 close grip bench 3x6

Wednesday: Back and bi's (i have 2 herniated discs and a messed up sacroilliac so i cannot do any "bread and butter" lifts. 3-4 sets of close grip seated pulley rows,, 3-4 sets of rowing machine, 3 sets of close grip lat pulldowns, 3 sets of reverse grip pull downs and 3 sets of wide grip pull downs 6 sets for biceps and then 20 min of cardio.

How can you do squat SLDL etc? i dont understand
Thats a whole workout of machines.
20 odd sets that work your biceps?

Saturday: Calves & abs: 3 sets of 30 on standing calf machine 3 sets of 30 on seated calf 3 sets of 100 front toe raises. And one set of 100 reps of calf raises on leg press for a burnout. I then do 12 sets of hard ab work on Saturday and 25-30 min of cardio.

Dont do the really high reps for calves i dont think that will do anything.
12sets of abs? must not be "HARD"

Sorry but you need a new routine.

samj
06-10-2007, 08:46 AM
missed out friday

Friday: Shoulders I alternate each week with 4 sets behind neck shoulder press /or front military press i superset dumbell side, front laterals and rear for 3 sets each. I do 4 sets of heavy shoulder shrugs with a barbell finished off with a neck exercise done with a halo type head piece. 20 min of cardio.

Dont do it behind your neck and do front military press
Scrap the raises
one day for shoulders is stupid
shrugs is for your traps (back)
neck halo? lol

Mr. D
06-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Most of samj advice is good, but i disagree with the cardio part. Doing 20 minutes of fast incline walking post lifting is very effective for fat loss.

Noxon
06-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I have to agree with SamJ for the most part. Sounds like you are doing waaaaay too much each week for somebody on a cut. The idea is to work your muscles so that you convince your body to keep them, but since you are eating below maintenance, too much is as bad as not doing anything at all. You are hampering your ability to rebuild muscle damaged during training by eating below your daily needs. One reason you may not be seeing quite the results you were expecting from your cut is that you are losing too much of your LBM from over training, meaning the weight lost is not purely fat (Not that it ever really is) and therefore your calculations are off.

As for your post workout cardio, there is a place for it, but first you need to hammer out a good routine. If you are over training with weights, the cardio probably isn't helping anything! If you like a four day split, I would recommend Built's Baby Got Back routine. It can be turned into a fairly ideal cut routine by being selective with the exercises chosen, and it focuses on heavy compounds (Which is what you should be focused on). Yeah, I'm biased since I'm using it myself, but it's working for MY cut and I firmly believe in practicing what I preach.

In general, limit the number of total sets you are doing and focus most of your energy on the major compounds (bench, squat, pull, etc). Don't over train on your cut.

As for your original question, the bottom line is that excess calories = body fat, not excess protein. Your body always needs protein, and how much it needs relates to your lean body mass and your training habits, not to your dietary goals.

And lastly, since you have a hurt back, I would definitely stay away from any "exercises" that place you in questionable posture. Such as your behind the head shoulder presses. These are dangerous with heavy weight, and dangerous for people with prior back injuries. When you are doing heavy lifts, keep your chin up and your core locked, with your spine in the natural S-shape, and you will minimize risk of re-injury to your spine.