PDA

View Full Version : KoolDrew's BGB Journal

KoolDrew
06-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I plan on starting the BGB routine tomorrow and decided I'd post an introduction today before I finally start the routine.

First of all, you can see my progress since I started lifting back in February and a little background in this thread:
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=97793

Basically, I lost a ton of weight and am now bulking. My goal is to pack on some serious mass and then cut down below 10% BF. I was using the Starting Strength routine, but decided it was time to switch it up. So, I chose BGB. Also, I tried to do a journal last time, but it didn't work out too well. This time I hope to keep the journal going. That way people can see my progress and I can get advice as I go along.

So, here's my routine:

Day 1: Horizontal push/pull, calves, and abs

T-Bar Rows - 5x5
One-Arm Dumbell Rows - 3x8
Flat Bench - 5x5
Incline dumbbell press - 3x8
Seated Calf Raises (pausing at bottom) - 3x12-20
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12

Day 2: Quad dominant, hamstring accessory. Biceps.

Back Squats - 5x5
Front Squats - 3x8
Leg Curls - 3x12-20
EZ-Bar Curls - 5x5
Hammer Curls - 3x8-12

Day 3: Vertical push/pull, calves, and abs

Chins - 5x5
Lat Pulldowns - 3x8
Military Press - 5x5
Arnold Presses - 3x8
Standings Calf Raises - 3x8-10
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12

Day 4: Hamstring dominant, quad accessory. Triceps.

Deadlifts - 5x5
Good Mornings - 3x8
Walking Lunges - 3x12-20
Dips - 5x5
Cable Pressdowns - 3x8-12

I am excited to start it tomorrow. The only thing I'm worried about is not being able to set the bar low enough to be able to perform rack pulls. If not, I guess I'll just have to find something to substitute it.

Built
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I do racks at just above the knee. You can also do off the floor deads if you prefer.

For shoulders, you may prefer to do millies for the 5x5 and Arnies for the 3x8. Another combo I like is to ss Arnies with side laterals after millies. And if you ever want to switch it up a little, try 5x5 hang cleans followed by that Arnie side lateral ss combo.

Built
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, and if you can do front squats, try those as the 3x8 instead of leg press sometime.

KoolDrew
06-10-2007, 11:17 AM
I do racks at just above the knee. You can also do off the floor deads if you prefer.

Deads won't be too much considering all the other work I do throughout the week? If I do decide to do deads, would I have to change anything else in the routine? Right now I think I would prefer deads (they were my favorite on my last routine), but I think I'm going to try out rack pulls first and see how they go since I've never done them before.

For shoulders, you may prefer to do millies for the 5x5 and Arnies for the 3x8.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I'll definitely do that instead.

Oh, and if you can do front squats, try those as the 3x8 instead of leg press sometime.

Two different types of squats on the same day wouldn't be too much, would it? Personally I've only done front squats a few times, but I'd definitely prefer them over leg press. Leg press just feels kind of weird to me.

Also, what do you guys do for abs? I've been doing weighted crunches on a decline bench, but would like to switch it up a bit. I see people doing Rope Crunches where they are on their knees and chrunch towards the floor. Does that sound effective? I could also do leg raises with a dumbell between my leg as well. I've read that leg raises target the lower abdominals more and crunches more for upper. Is this true or is it just like the whole upper/lower chest deal? If it is true, would it be a good idea to do one on one day, and the other on the next day?

Built
06-10-2007, 12:39 PM
The upper lower ab thing is kinda like the upper lower chest thing, yeah. I like weighted crunches on a bosu ball or with a rolled up towel under my back. Nothing wrong with fiddling around with different movements there.

I do heavy 5x5 fronts, then lighter 3x8 fronts. Fronts are awesome! Backs for 5x5 and fronts for 3x8 would work great!

Try the off the floor deads if you prefer them to rack pulls. I do deads as rack pulls on horizontal day and RDLs on hamstring day because I'm a pussy and don't like tearing the skin off my shins. Nothing says you can't do regular deads on either horizontal day OR hamstring day, and find subs for the movements they replace. For example, do deads on hamstring day and t-bars on horizontal day.

This help?

KoolDrew
06-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes, that does help. I replaced leg press with front squats and rack pulls with deads. I really don't think I'd be able to do rack pulls in my gym and I think I'd prefer deads anyway.

Built
06-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Awesome.

Good luck!

KoolDrew
06-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Actually, I decided I'd use the example you gave and put deadlifts on Day 4 and T-Bar rows on Day 1.

Look good?

Built
06-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes. Probably the best solution if you're working on bringing your bench press numbers up.

For ham accessory work, how about doing RDLs instead of the leg curls? Obviously not as heavy as you would have for the 5x5 work, but a much better movement than leg curls. GMs might be a good choice also.

KoolDrew
06-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes. Probably the best solution if you're working on bringing your bench press numbers up.

Which I am since it is definitely my weak point.

For ham accessory work, how about doing RDLs instead of the leg curls? Obviously not as heavy as you would have for the 5x5 work, but a much better movement than leg curls. GMs might be a good choice also.

If I replace leg curls with RDLs would you still recommend it to be 3x12-20? Also, I have GMs on Day 4 , so do you think it would be best for me to keep them there or do them on Day 2 and find a substitute?

Noxon
06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Just poking my head in on another BGB journal! It's a great split in general... Find exercises that you enjoy and are comfortable with and you will definitely like the routine.

I love RDL's, personally. I have also found that glute-ham raises are an awesome accessory exercise for functional ham and glute strength as it pertains to your hip flexion. If you do glute-hams and hold your contractions for a second with your body parallel to the floor you will have crazy strong hips in no time. GM's are still officially my 3x8 for hamstring day, though. Giving it some time before I axe them in favor of the roman chair. heh

Good luck with your goals. Keeping a journal definitely helps a lot.

KoolDrew
06-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks Noxon!

Unfortunately, my gym doesn't have anything I can really do glute-ham raises on though. Have any suggestions on what I might be able to do it on? Because glute-ham raises do look apealing.

Noxon
06-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I can't take credit for this idea, I think it was MariAnne's post originally, but you can use the lat pull down machine as a sort of roman chair if you sit with your knees on the seat and your ankles underneath the knee rests. This works a lot better if the knee rests and/or seat are adjustable. Might need a towel for extra knee padding or something.

Edit: Come to think of it, you really want your upper thighs on the seat... Not your knees. But the basic idea is to look at the chairs/pads on the different benches and machines in your gym and see if you can creatively adapt one of them into a roman chair.

Haven't tried this myself, others have had some success with it, though.

Depending on your gym, if you suggest that they could really use a roman chair, they may purchase one. :) You never know. Depends a lot on the ownership and the gym itself.

KoolDrew
06-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Well, I workout at my high school and I highly doubt they would really take into consideration any suggestions I had. A real gym, maybe, but not my school. Especially when not many people use it anyway.

So, given that I probably won't be able to do glute-ham raises, do you think I should just put RDL's on Day 2 and keep Good Mornings on Day 4?

Noxon
06-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, my personal situation is a little different because I am not doing heavy deadlifts yet as I am still somewhat rehabbing my knee. This means that on hamstring day I do heavy RDLs and I do rack pulls on bench day.

If I had to choose between light RDLs and GMs, I might choose GMs. If I had to choose between heavy RDLs and GMs... Well, that's no choice at all. I do heavyish 5x5 RDLs in my personal routine and I love them like that. When I was doing them lighter to practice form, I didn't feel like I got much effect out of them. One of the primary benefits of RDLs is how heavy they can be taken. This makes them an awesome ham exercise, since hams respond well to intense, heavy, small sets. It also, in my opinion, makes them best suited to a 5x5 and not a 3x8.

Hope that helps... And really, just do all the movements and see what works best for YOU! That's the best way to go about it for sure! You'll find something you like. My situation is a bit different from yours.

KoolDrew
06-10-2007, 07:32 PM
nvm.. scratch that. I think I'm sticking with what I have up top for now.

Noxon
06-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I might have said too much. It all depends on what works for you. If you want to start out with a strict routine, then that's cool. I chose to start out with a loose routine and kind of figure out my accessory lifts as I went along based on what worked for me.

Regardless, I would recommend that at some point, whether it is week 1, or 5, or 15, you give RDLs a serious try. They're a great hamstring workout and it's a fun opportunity to throw a bunch of weight around... Who doesn't enjoy that? =]

Argh, I'm overtired and been in the sun too much today, but this stupid little adage came to mind: Try before you buy. LOL... Same applies to the exercises in your routine. Especially the accessories, since there are 32 flavors of everything and some people like vanilla while others like chocolate.

I'm gonna cart my lame, cliche spouting ass off to bed now. :D

KoolDrew
06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Monday, June 11, 2007

T-Bar Rows - 5x5 @ 135
BO Rows - 3x8 @ 135
Flat Bench - 5x5 @ 175
Incline dumbbell press - 3x8 @ 35 lb dumbells
Seated Calf Raises (pausing at bottom) - 3x12-20 @ 45 lb dumbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 35 lb dumbells

Notes:
The T-Bar Rows were great. I enjoyed them a lot and it felt pretty good. The only thing is that I'm not sure about is form. Anybody got any tips to make them most effective? After I started doing it one of the gym teachers came up to me and asked me where I learned how to do it because he used to do it. Then when I finished my sets he did them. I noticed he almost stood straight up when doing them though.

Since the T-Bar Rows worked so well I really couldn't even do the Bent-Over Barbell rows at all at the weight I had it at. I actually had it originally at 145 and before I never really had a problem with it, but I bumped down to 135. Still it felt extremely heavy and I'd have to probably bump it down a bit more to get it all my reps. Also, any tips on this one for form? It seems both rows I don't feel much in my lats. The T-Bar rows really worked my biceps though.

Bench went well. I missed the very last rep unfortunately though. Then after that I did the Incline Dumbell Press, which I've never really done before, and it felt extremely good. I really enjoyed them.

For seated calf raises, I just sat at the end of the bench with 45 lb dumbells on my lap and did them on the flat ground. I think next time I'll find something I can put the front of my foot on so I can stretch my calf at the bottom. For Abs I just did weighted decline crunches.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I just got back and now I'm gonna go stuff my face with some good food. :p

Built
06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Sounds like you're working it out.

Try one-arm dumbbell rows sometime instead of the bent overs.

For bent overs and t-bars, you can kinda cheat the weight a bit. You'll get a feel for what I'm talking about as you do these, but these are actually more effective (I think) with a heavier weight and sloppier form than lighter and strict. Not everything is like this. I'm not suggesting you cheat your form on a dead!

KoolDrew
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Would one-arm dumbell rows be more effective because of more ROM?

Built
06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm thinking more along the line of unilateral vs bilateral. Hubby loves 'em - his lats blew up when he started doing 'em.

Okay, as much as an unassisted 40-year old's lats can blow up. But they're pretty meaty!

KoolDrew
06-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Sounds good. I'll think I might give them a try next time since I've never really been very fond of bent-over barbell rows. I never felt like I got much out of them. I loved the t-bar rows though.

Built
06-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm not a huge fan of bent overs either. I should probably invest the time in getting good at them, but there's more than one way to work your back.

I really like t-bars, too.

With the one-arms, I'll offer what hubby does - he got quite strong on them and his grip was holding him back, so he uses straps now. He was fine without until he hit the 90s, but his hand would fatigue at the higher reps and it compromised his lat work. He's using the 125s now that he straps in. His grip strength is pretty good from weighted chins, but there comes a point where it's just too much to hold that long.

Have fun!

KoolDrew
06-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Back Squats - 5x5 @ 275
Front Squats - 3x8 @ 135
Leg Curls - 3x12-20 @ 70
Seated Alternating Bicep Curls - 5x5 @ 30
Hammer Curls - 3x8-12 @ 25

Notes:

Before for back squats I was doing 3x5 and I wasn't sure how much the 5x5 would effect how much I lifted so I started a bit light. I did the same for the front squats since I've never really done them before. So, I think I'm going to be moving up in weight for every single one of these next time.

With the curls I noticed my right bicep is quite a bit stronger than my left. Because on the hammer curls I couldn't get any more reps in on my left, but my right felt like it could of kept going for quite a few more. Hopefully they will even out soon. Also, this may seem like a dumb question, but when it says 3x8-12 that is 8-12 reps per arm, correct? Also, when doing the curls, do you fully extend your arm and then curl it? While sitting down I really couldn't extend my arms on the side, so I just went down until my forearm was parallel with the floor.

Noxon
06-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Nice leg workout man.

On curls, I do full ROM. My understanding is that this causes the bicep to grow along its entire length, rather than growing disproportionately larger at the top, which gives the appearance of shorter / less full biceps. Of course, I'm a total newbie to the particulars of body building, so I'm more stating this to give someone else the opportunity to correct me if I'm wrong. That's what I read, though.

If you want to do intense, full ROM curls, just do conc curls instead of alternating seated and be really strict with your form and timing.

KoolDrew
06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Thursday, June 14, 2007

Chins - 5x5 @ 20 lbs + BW
Unilateral Lat Pulldowns - 3x8 @ 6 (idk how it works, but it was set to 6)
Military Press - 5x5 @ 85 lbs
Arnold Presses - 3x8 @ 25 lb dumbells
Standings Calf Raises - 3x8-10 @ 25 lb dumbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 45 lbs

Notes:

I'm going to stay the same on the chins the next time because I couldn't get all my reps in. I would of been able to with pull-ups, but I guess im weaker when it comes to chins. The unilateral lat pulldowns went well. The pulldown machine I was using doesn't have real weight numbers on them though. So, whatever 6 means (which is what I had it set to), that's what I did.

Military Press can definitely be moved up next time. Just like with squats, I wasn't sure how much the extra two sets would effect how much I could lift, so I started light. I figure I'd rather get it and move up next time, than start too high and fail right away. The Arnold Presses felt great, especially after the military presses. Those can definitely be moved up to. Since it was my first time ever performing the movement, I started light. I actually started with 20 lb dumbells, but that was way too easy.

I've never really done standing calf raises either, but it kind of felt akward for me. I actually had trouble keeping my balance while doing them. I guess I just have to work on doing them more controlled. For ab crunches I just did them on the decline bench again.

BCorn
06-15-2007, 07:39 AM
workouts look great...i'm doing a similar routine.

KoolDrew
06-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Friday, June 15, 2007

Deadlifts - 5x5 @ 315 lbs
Good Mornings - 3x8 @ 95 lbs
Walking Lunges - 3x12-20 @ 20 lb dumbells
Dips - 5x5 @ 20 lbs + BW
Cable Pressdowns - 3x8-12 @ 10 (again, whatever 10 means)

Notes:

Deadlifts felt great. Since I never performed good mornings before so I started really light. I actually thought I was going to feel really weird doing them, but I actually enjoyed them.

Overall, everything went really well and I can up everything next time. The only thing is that for the machine I was doing the cable pressdowns on it only goes up to 12. I don't even think I have really strong triceps, but I guess soon I won't be able to do them on that machine due to lack of a sufficient amount of resistance.

I am actually going away to college in a few months so I was looking at new gyms and I found this one that would only be 15 minutes away from where I'd be:
http://www.albanystrength.com

Looks like a much better gym than what I am using now. At least I'll be able to use chalk and the people around me will take it more seriously, probably way more seriously than even I take it, which can be good for motivation.

KoolDrew
06-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Monday, June 18, 2007

T-Bar Rows - 5x5 @ 145
One-Arm Dumbell Rows - 3x8 @ 45 lb dumbell
Flat Bench - 5x5 @ 180
Incline dumbbell press - 3x8 @ 40 lb dumbells
Seated Calf Raises (pausing at bottom) - 3x12-20 @ 55 lb dumbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 55 lb dumbell

Notes:
Everything went well, felt great afterwards, and can definitely up everything next time. I also deadlifted 405 today. I know today wasn't my deadlifting day, but a friend of mine asked for help on his deadlift and I couldn't resist. :p So, I decided to throw 405 on and do one rep, and it's actually my new 1RM.

Also, I watched the DVD by EliteFTS on benching yesterday and incorporated some of the form tips today and it did feel like I was a lot stronger just with those little modifications made to my form. Today was my first time trying the one-arm dumbells rows, and I'm glad I switched to them. I actually really felt them in my lats, something bent-over barbell rows never really gave me.

KoolDrew
06-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Back Squats - 5x5 @ 285 lbs
Front Squats - 3x8 @ 155 lbs
Leg Curls - 3x12-20 @ 90 lbs
Seated Alternating Bicep Curls - 5x5 @ 35 lb dumbells
Hammer Curls - 3x8-12 @ 25 lb dumbells

Notes:
Everything went well. Again, my left bicep is a lot weaker than my right though.

KoolDrew
06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Thursday, June 21, 2007

Unilateral Lat Pulldowns - 3x8 @ 6
Military Press - 5x5 @ 95 lbs
Arnold Presses - 3x8 @ 30 lb dumbells
Standings Calf Raises - 3x8-10 @ 45 lb dumbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 60 lbs

KoolDrew
06-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Friday, June 22, 2007

Deadlifts - 5x5 @ 325 lbs
Good Mornings - 3x8 @ 135 lbs
Walking Lunges - 3x12-20 @ 25 lb dumbells
Dips - 5x5 @ 25 lbs + BW
Cable Pressdowns - 3x8-12 @ 10

Notes:
Everything went well except for the fact that I cut my hand open doing deadlifts. I guess that means I should buy some chalk. :p

Built
06-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Unilateral movements are the BOMB for lats. I do a lot of my lat work that way. I'm particularly fond of one of the hammerstrength machines - I do 'em by alternating arms, like I'm crawling up a wall. Really lets me get in a full ROM.

Lumiel
06-22-2007, 03:04 PM
How the heck did you cut your hand open doing deadlifts?! YEEOUCH!

Also, when you do your military presses, do you do them seated or standing. I think I want to incorporate them to really explode my shoulders. (I'm also doing a BGB routine.)

KoolDrew
06-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Unilateral movements are the BOMB for lats. I do a lot of my lat work that way. I'm particularly fond of one of the hammerstrength machines - I do 'em by alternating arms, like I'm crawling up a wall. Really lets me get in a full ROM.

Yeah, I've enjoyed them as well.

How the heck did you cut your hand open doing deadlifts?! YEEOUCH!

There was a calice (sp?) on my hand and the bar slipping in my hand just ripped it open. I get really bad callices, but this is the first time I've actually ripped one open.

Also, when you do your military presses, do you do them seated or standing. I think I want to incorporate them to really explode my shoulders. (I'm also doing a BGB routine.)

I've always done them standing.

Built
06-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Any movement you CAN do standing, you probably should. I like to do this to keep my core involved.

KoolDrew
06-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Monday, June 25, 2007

T-Bar Rows - 5x5 @ 155 lbs
One-Arm Dumbell Rows - 3x8 @50 lb dumbell
Flat Bench - 5x5 @ 185 lbs
Incline dumbbell press - 3x8 @ 45 lb dumbells
Seated Calf Raises (pausing at bottom) - 3x12-20 @ 60 lb dumbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 65 lb dumbell

KoolDrew
06-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Back Squats - 5x5 @ 295
Front Squats - 3x8 @ 175
Leg Curls - 3x12-20 @ 100

Notes:

As you can see, I didn't do the curls. I was running late and the gym was only opened in the morning, so I really had to rush. Then on my second set of curls, I had to rush out of the gym for an appointment.

Oh, well... At least I had a good leg workout.

KoolDrew
06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Thursday, June 28, 2007

Unilateral Lat Pulldowns - 3x8 @ 6
Military Press - 5x5 @ 95 lbs
Arnold Presses - 3x8 @ 30 lb dumbells
Standings Calf Raises - 3x8-10 @ 50 lb dumbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 70 lbs

Notes:
I definitely need to get a dip belt. Holding dumbells in between my legs sucks for chins.

North
06-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Nice squats and deadlifts man. I hate holding dumbells between my legs for dips and pull ups too.

BCorn
06-28-2007, 11:26 AM
i just attached a velcro strap to my lifting belt for attaching the db's....kind of rigged but it works

Lumiel
06-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Looking good buddy. I was wondering how to do weighted pull ups... guess that answers my question. hehehe.

KoolDrew
06-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, todays workout absolutely sucked. I got very little sleep last night and the gym was only open in the morning. So, I literally got right out of bed and went straight to the gym without even eating or anything.

Everything felt extremely heavy and I didn't even complete my deadlifts or anything. Since deadlifts are my favorite and I normally look forward to them, having a bad deadlift session just kind pissed me off so I kind of said "**** it" to the rest of the workout as well. The only thing I did all the sets for were dips, but I did them with just my bodyweight.

It sucks, and I probably still should of done what I could, but I didn't. Now I really know the importance of sleep and food though.

BCorn
06-29-2007, 02:24 PM
i have 2 little ones and 9 times out of 10 they end up in my bed...so i know what its like to not get the proper sleep. afterall, you can only sleep so good with one little foot in your face and the other one kicking you in the side. I also work out first thing in the mornings and dont have time to eat. i have found that drinking a shake on the way to the gym works best for me. good luck, and keep up the work.

KoolDrew
06-29-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm not used to working out right in the morning though without eating anything. Ussually I go to the gym at like 10am or something. However, today I couldn't. With my body not used to working out that early, feeling really hungry while lifting, and getting barely any sleep, it resulted in a crappy workout.

Since I didn't eat this morning, for dinner I decided I'd go out to a buffet though. :p

KoolDrew
07-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Monday, July 2, 2007

T-Bar Rows - 5x5 @ 165
One-Arm Dumbell Rows - 3x8 @ 55
Flat Bench - 5x5 @ 190
Incline dumbbell press - 3x8 @ 50

Notes:
I skipped the Ab and calf work since I ran out of time. I figure that's more acessory than anything else, so it's not too big a deal. I won't be making a habit out of it though.

Besides that, it went well. I remember before this routine I couldn't even finish three sets of five at 190, but 5x5 using 190 was actually kind of easy today.

Built
07-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Besides that, it went well. I remember before this routine I couldn't even finish three sets of five at 190, but 5x5 using 190 was actually kind of easy today.

Nice!

KoolDrew
07-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Thursday, July 5, 2007

Chins - 5x5 @ 25 lbs + BW
Lat Pulldowns - 3x8 @ 10
Military Press - 4x5 @ 100 lbs (couldn't finish last set)
Arnold Presses - 3x8 @ 35 lb dumbells
Standings Calf Raises - 3x8-10 @ 55 lb dumbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 70 lbs

KoolDrew
07-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Friday, July 6, 2007

Deadlifts - 4x5 @ 335 lbs
Good Mornings - 3x8 @ 145 lbs
Walking Lunges - 3x12-20 @ 30 lb dumbells
Dips - 5x5 @ 30 lbs + BW
Cable Pressdowns - 3x8-12 @ 11

Notes:
Everything went well except for the fact that I ripped my hand open AGAIN on deadlifts. That is why I only did 4 sets. After that I asked if the gym allowed chalk and the answer was no. Any alternatives? I think I remember somebody posting something here that does the same thing as chalk, but isn't messy. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I'd really like to use chalk so I don't have to resort to gloves or straps to prevent my hand from ripping open.

Lumiel
07-06-2007, 10:48 AM
OW! I did it myself recently, but it was more like a water blister popping open. Nice lifts on the deads bud!

KoolDrew
07-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Monday, July 9, 2007

T-Bar Rows - 5x5 @ 180
One-Arm Dumbell Rows - 3x8 @ 60
Flat Bench - 5x5 @ 195

Notes:
I'm very happy with the fact that I got 5x5 at 195 for bench. Especially since before this routine I couldn't do 3x5 at 190. The last few reps were tough, but I think next week I'll be able to hit 200.

Also, I checked my weight yesterday and weighed in at 208. :D I actually had to use a friends scale though since mine absolutely sucks. I used the same friends scale when I weighed myself at 200 before though. Any suggestions as to what I should look for in an accurate scale.

Only 22 more pounds and then I'm gonna decide if I'm going to continue bulking or cutting, depending on how I think I look. What do you guys think I should bulk to?

KoolDrew
07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Back Squats - 5x5 @ 295 lbs
Front Squats - 3x8 @ 185 lbs
Leg Curls - 3x12-20 @ 100 lbs
EZ-Bar Bicep Curls - 5x5 @ 60 + Bar (I have no idea what the bar weighs)

Notes:
It was a good workout. I was unable to do the Hammer Curls though because right when I was supposed to do them our school had a fire drill. Which means I had to stop working out and stand outside for a while. By the time we were able to go back in, I was out of time anyway.

Lumiel
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Good job buddy. I look forward to the day when I can squat that much without killing myself. hehehe.

KoolDrew
07-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Looking back at the beginning of my journal I noticed on the 11th of last month I was doing 175 for bench and mentioned I couldn't even get the last rep. Now I wouldn't be suprised if I got 5x5 at 200. :D

KoolDrew
07-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Thursday, July 12. 2007

Chins - 5x5 @ 25 lbs + BW
Lat Pulldowns - 3x8 @ 11
Military Press - 4x5 @ 100 lbs (only got 2 reps in last set)
Arnold Presses - 3x8 @ 40 lb dumbells
Standings Calf Raises - 3x8-10 @ 60 lb dumbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 20 lb dumbell

Notes:
I'll have my dip belt in the mail soon and I'm hoping that will help me bring my chins up by allowing me to concentrate more on the chins themselves rather than holding th dumbell in between my legs. Hopefully the stuff I ordered will arrive today since I also ordered liquid chalk and want to use it for my deadlifts tomorrow.

Today I did something different with the ab work. Normally I would hold a dumbell on my chest while doing the crunches. However, this time I went with much lighter weight and held it up over my head. I felt like I got a much better ab workout and I was only using a 20 lb dumbell.

Also, what is the recommended placement for your hands on military press? I ussually put them around the same I put for bench, but today my left wrist was hurting pretty bad and I think it was because of my hand placement.

KoolDrew
07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Friday, July 13, 2007

Deadlifts - 5x5 @ 345 lbs
Good Mornings - 3x8 @ 155 lbs
Walking Lunges - 3x12-20 @ 35 lb dumbells
Dips - 5x5 @ 35 lbs + BW
Cable Pressdowns - 3x8-12 @ 11

Notes:
Everything went well. Wish I had my liquid chalk and dip belt I ordered though.

KoolDrew
07-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, the weight belt and liquid chalk arrived, so I can use them for next week. BB.com even threw in a free sample of "Lean Body" meal replacement shake. Not very tasty and was kind of chunky, but I can't complain... got it for free. :P

KoolDrew
07-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Monday, July 16, 2007

T-Bar Rows - 5x5 @ 190
One-Arm Dumbell Rows - 3x8 @ 70
Flat Bench - 5x5 @ 200

I got 200 at 5x5 so overall I'm pretty happy. :D

Noxon
07-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Nice work in here Drew, making some excellent gains on bench I see. Keep killin' it man!

KoolDrew
07-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks Noxon. With my bench previously being really weak, I'm actually really proud that I've been progressing so well on it. Tomorrows squats and I'm actually excited for that. I'm also excited to try my new dip belt on Thursday for my pull-ups. I hope using a dip belt will allow me to concentrate more on the pull-ups themselves so I'd be able to give it more and possibly progress better.

I also tried the liquid chalk stuff I ordered today and it actually worked well. However, it's only a 2 ounce bottle and the instructions say to spray 6-8 sprays in your hand. Not gonna last very long...

Built
07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
You're on fire! Nice benching, and you're gaining WELL! You sound stoked. :)

Regarding scales, I have a Tanita. It has that bodyfat analyzer thing. I ignore it because it's a worthless piece of crap that measures electrical resistance through my body, but the scale itself is accurate to a fifth of a pound, and that makes me happy.

KoolDrew
07-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Back Squats - 5x5 @ 305 lbs
Front Squats - 3x8 @ 185 lbs
Leg Curls - 3x12-20 @ 110 lbs
EZ-Bar Bicep Curls - 5x5 @ 65 lbs + Bar
Hammer Curls - 3x8 @ 30 lbs

Had a very good workout. I went in really pumped up and really gave it my all on squats. Now I'm completely dead and I'm gonna eat a huge lunch and then relax and watch a movie. :p

KoolDrew
07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Thursday, July 19. 2007

Chins - 5x5 @ 30 lbs + BW
Lat Pulldowns - 3x8 @ 11
Military Press - 5x5 @ 100 lbs
Arnold Presses - 3x8 @ 45 lb dumbbells
Standings Calf Raises - 3x8-10 @ 65 lb dumbbells
Ab Crunches (weighted) - 3x8-12 @ 25 lb dumbbell

Everything went well. Using a dip belt for chins definitely was a lot better than holding a dumbbell between my legs.

Lumiel
07-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Good work buddy. Keep it up!

KoolDrew
07-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Thank you!

Tomorrows deadlifts! :D

KoolDrew
07-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Friday, July 20, 2007

Deadlifts - 5x5 @ 355 lbs
Good Mornings - 3x8 @ 165 lbs
Walking Lunges - 3x12-20 @ 40 lb dumbbells
Dips - 5x5 @ 40 lbs + BW
Cable Pressdowns - 3x8-12 @ 12

Went well. Deadlifts felt great and I shouldn't have a problem going up another 10 pounds next time.

Utefan22
07-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Nice work in here man.

Looks like you are making some great gains!

KoolDrew
07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks Utefan22. Yeah, I have been making great gains and have really been enjoying this routine so far. Now I'm hoping I get 205 for bench on Monday.

Lumiel
08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Haven't seen an update in a while. How's the routine coming buddy?

KoolDrew
08-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Haven't seen an update in a while. How's the routine coming buddy?

Besides a few days here and there I haven't been able to work out. The main issue lately has been no transportation to the gym. My dad had to use my car since his truck was getting fixed.

Fortunately, I will be starting back up Monday though. I'm a bit worried with college coming up the Monday after that though. With the almost two hours of driving everyday combined to and from college and the work, I'm not going to have as near as much time to workout. I may even workout at the college some days in between classes. However, I have no idea when the gym is open.

KoolDrew
08-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Monday, July 9, 2007

T-Bar Rows - 5x5 @ 180
One-Arm Dumbell Rows - 3x8 @ 70
Flat Bench - 5x5 @ 185
Incline dumbbell press - 3x8 @ 75

Since I haven't lifted in a few weeks, I just went a little lighter on things.

Lumiel
08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Glad to see you back in the mix!

KoolDrew
09-01-2007, 08:21 AM
As you can see, I again did not stick with it. The transition to college and everything has really messed it up.

I'm actually now thinking of switching to the Bill Starr 5x5 routine, which would only be three times a week. What do you guys think? Everything 5x5 I've done so far has been the same weight throughout so I think it would be interesting to try ramping the weight up as my set progresses. I'd slightly modify the original template to include pull-ups though.

You guys think this would be good for both strength and hypertrophy gains?

KoolDrew
09-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, here's my first day doing the Bill Starr 5x5 routine.

Back Squat
5x140
5x175
5x225
5x245
5x280

Bench
5x95
5x115
5x140
5x160
5x185

BB Rows
5x45
5x60
5x70
5x80
5x90

Assistance:

2x8x25 Weighted Hypers
4x8x10 Weighted Crunches

Notes
It felt extremely easy, but that's expected for the first couple weeks. However, the Rows were almost too easy. I think I actually really underestimated my max since I haven't done them in so long, I don't really remember. I think later I'll fool around and see around what my 5RM is and adjust from there.

KoolDrew
09-05-2007, 04:53 PM
My "light" day

Back Squat
5x140
5x175
5x210
5x210

Military Press
5x60
5x70
5x80
5x90

Deadlift
5x205
5x245
5x290
5x330

Assistance:

2x8xBW Pull-Ups
3x8x10 Weighted Crunches

Notes:
Went well. Felt kind of weak on deads though. Probably because I haven't done them in a while.

Lumiel
09-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Where can I read up on the Bill Starr routine? Any suggested links?

KoolDrew
09-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Where can I read up on the Bill Starr routine? Any suggested links?

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

:)

KoolDrew
09-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Back Squat
5x140
5x175
5x210
5x245
3x290
8x210

Bench
5x90
5x115
5x140
5x160
3x190
8x140

Rows
5x60
5x80
5x95
5x110
3x130
8x95

Assistance:

3x5x35 Weighted Dips
3x8x45 Hammer Curls
3x8x25 DB Triceps Extension

Lumiel
09-07-2007, 02:18 PM

KoolDrew
09-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks Lumiel!

I actually like this routine. Ramping weights is different. I've found I actually really enjoy doing 3 reps as well (which I do on Fridays for one set).

My lats are really sore from my pull-ups on Wednesday. I did my pull-ups with just my bodyweight and concentrated on doing slow negatives and I felt it a lot more.

Lumiel
09-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah, the slow negatives will KILL your lats. I do them now too, after Built suggested them.

KoolDrew
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Back Squat:
5x145
5x180
5x215
5x255
5x290

Bench:
5x95
5x120
5x145
5x165
5x190

Row:
5x65
5x80
5x95
5x110
5x130

Assistance:

2x8x25 Hyper Extensions
4x8x10 Ab Crunches

KoolDrew
09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Back Squat:
5x145
5x180
5x215
5x215

Military Press:
5x60
5x70
5x80
5x95

Deadlift:
5x210
5x250
5x295
5x335

Assistance:

2x8xBW Pull-Ups
3x8x10 Ab Crunches

Just got my Creatine, Multi Plus, and Maximus today as well. Hoping they will help with gains. The extra calories from the Maximus on top of my existing diet should definitely help. Especially since lately I've eaten barely anything in the morning because I have trouble with eating food in the morning. So instead I'll have a 1,000+ calorie shake. :)

KoolDrew
09-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Back Squat:
5x145
5x180
5x215
5x255
3x300
8x215

Bench Press:
5x95
5x120
5x145
5x165
3x195
8x145

Bent-Over Rows:
5x65
5x80
5x95
5x110
3x130
8x95

Assistance:

2x5 - Dips @ 40 lbs + BW
3x8 - EZ Bicep Curls @ 75 lbs + bar
3x8 - DB Tricep Extensions @ 30 lbs

Felt great for the workout and the hardest part was actually the dips. Squats, bench, and especially the rows were all pretty easy.

KoolDrew
09-15-2007, 11:51 AM
I hate resting days. I want to go lift but I have to try and stop myself because I need to let my body rest. :p

With the new routine and everything I've begun to take the bulking thing a bit more serious as well. Before I just kind of lifted and ate, not really paying attention to progress outside of actual weight moved. Now I'm going to start actually paying attention and checking at least weekly. This morning I weighed in at 209. What exactly is a good amount gained per week to aim for without too much fat gain?

Also, right now I'm having a 1500+ calorie shake just for breakfast. I actually think that's why yesterday was such a good workout. I had a MUCH better breakfast than I usually have. My shake (Maximus, Natural peanut butter, and milk) came to 1596 calories, 86g fat, 124g carbs, and 106g protein. Throughout the day I try to eat as much protein-rich foods as possible as well. However, I still don't track my calories. It's just hard when my mom cooks dinner since she puts so much ingredients into the foods and everything, so I really have no idea how much calories I'm really eating. I only know for stuff I make myself like the shake.

KoolDrew
09-19-2007, 04:38 PM
I worked out Monday, but didn't get around to posting it so here it is.

Back Squat:
5x150
5x185
5x220
5x260
5x300

Bench Press:
5x100
5x135
5x145
5x170
5x195

Bent-Over Rows:
5x65
5x80
5x100
5x115
5x130

Assistance:

2x8 - Hypers @ 35 pounds
4x8 - Crunches @ 140 (used the ab machine)

KoolDrew
09-19-2007, 04:40 PM
...and here's today

Back Squat
5x150
5x185
5x220
5x220

Military Press
5x60
5x70
5x85