PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Diet and Nutrient timing

BigBossMan
06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Okay I have spent the last three weeks as warm-up in preperation for a 24 week program I am starting today and I would like opinions about diet and nutrient timing.

6am Breakfast
2 Organic eggs
1 slice sprouted wheat toasted
.75 cup eggology egg whites
1cup apple juice
1cup skim milk

8:30am Pre W/O
1cup non fat yogurt

11:30am Post W/O
Dextrose/whey/creatine/l-glutamine shake

12:30
1/2 slice sprouted wheat bread
1tbs natty peanut butter

3pm
1/2 slice sprouted wheat breat
1tbs natty peanut butter

6pm
2slices sprouted wheat bread
4tbs natty peanut butter

Before Bed-
1 cup low fat cottage cheese

Supplements:
Multi-plus
Ets
Fish oil
creatine monohydrate

Macros:
grams cals %total
Total: 2551
Fat: 98 878 35%
Sat: 20 181 7%
Poly: 19 169 7%
Mono: 52 467 18%
Carbs: 260 967 38%
Fiber: 18 0 0%
Protein: 172 689 27%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

with the fish oil supplment my fat comes out to around 38% and a total of 2600 cals or so. My maintenance is 2800. I will also be burning about 115 in cardio daily...as well as HIIT 2/3 times a week. Weekends are spent doing landscaping so I burn alot of cals their as well. So far in three weeks I have dropped from 177 to 173. After researching how to use calipers I estimate my BF% at 15% I will post picks in a bit for your opinion. Fiber is low but I try to hit up a shot or two of wheat grass daily which I think is loaded with fiber. I am only taking the glutamine becuase I had some leftover from awhile ago and figure why not...I know its a waste.

BigBossMan
06-11-2007, 09:36 AM
My Goal is to cut 8% then start a slow clean bulk to 200

Mr. D
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Personally, I would remove the apple juice from meal 1 and add a piece of fruit to pre workout meal to up the carbs a little.

I personally would add a little more protein to the 1230,3,and 6 pm meals. I just dont see the 1230 and 3 pm meals being filling at all.

And where are your veggies?The wheat grass shots likely wont be enough. At that calorie intake, you should really be hitting at least 30-35g a fiber a day.

Built
06-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Ditto. Why are you drinking juice? It's just sugar water.

Alex.V
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
At the risk, yet again, of being a curmudgeon (at 27...there's no hope), why are you on such an absurdly restrictive diet?

Honestly, that looks like a miserable way to spend half a year, and the macros would likely not be that different if you were eating cheeseburgers and bagels with the occasional scoop of nitrean.

In my not remotely humble opinion, this diet may work for a few weeks, but after that the fact that you're living on peanut butter sandwiches, curdled dairy products, and eggs may take its toll on your sanity. Not to mention your overall physical health and well-being.

BigBossMan
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM

I guess you wouldn't call it juice it is organic apple juice made strictly from apples no additives. I think it is called cider. But I was under the impression that fructose in the morning is a good idea to replace lost liver glycogen. But if this isn't true out with it I like water anyways. I would never drink the concentrated or other juice crap like that. Is the organic apple juice sugar water as well?

Thanks for the feed back as always built....I really respect your input

Built
06-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey BigBossMan -

Sadly, it doesn't matter if it's organic or not. It's mostly just sugar and water. Ditch it. Eat fruit if you like - particularly brightly coloured berries. Lower in carb, rich in antioxidants and fibre ...

Liver glycogen doesn't require fructose - glucose replenishes it too. Besides, you're not on a super low carb diet or anything. Concentrate on staying satiated.

I don't think wheatgrass juice has any fibre. You eating lots of broccoli, kale, green beans, avocados ... ?

Are you lacto-ovo vegetarian?

BigBossMan
06-11-2007, 02:59 PM
At the risk, yet again, of being a curmudgeon (at 27...there's no hope), why are you on such an absurdly restrictive diet?

Honestly, that looks like a miserable way to spend half a year, and the macros would likely not be that different if you were eating cheeseburgers and bagels with the occasional scoop of nitrean.

In my not remotely humble opinion, this diet may work for a few weeks, but after that the fact that you're living on peanut butter sandwiches, curdled dairy products, and eggs may take its toll on your sanity. Not to mention your overall physical health and well-being.

I have no problems eating the same thing everyday as long as I can deal with the taste. I work two jobs so I am gone from home from 6:15am until 11pm most days.....So everything I eat for the entire day has to be prepared quickly and able to fit in my back pack(there is also the monetary concern)...also I don't eat meat... also I don't think that if I were eating cheeseburgers and bagels I would be under 10% saturated fat which is my goal....I also have a goal to stay under a GI rating of 50 to avoid uneccessary insulin spikes.

I am concerned however how eating this everyday would effect my overall physical health and well being? Are their important nutrients that I am missing. I was told that taking a shot of wheat grass is equivelent to eating a pound of fresh veggies.....alot of my knowledge is based upon internet reading since I can't afford books though so I try and take it with a grain of salt

I appreciate the feedback

Built
06-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I see where you're going with this, but GI is kinda flawed in that it falls apart when meals are combined. For example, a Mars bar has a lower GI than rice cakes.

Staying under 10% from saturates doesn't really say much about your diet. 10% of what? Calories? Fats?

Guidelines I trust for fats are to get at least half a gram of fat per pound LBM, with a third from each of polys, monos, and saturates. If you like your fats higher than this (I'm one of 'em), lean toward more monos.

Wheat grass has a lot of chlorophyll, but that's not all there is to veggies!

BigBossMan
06-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Personally, I would remove the apple juice from meal 1 and add a piece of fruit to pre workout meal to up the carbs a little.

I personally would add a little more protein to the 1230,3,and 6 pm meals. I just dont see the 1230 and 3 pm meals being filling at all.

And where are your veggies?The wheat grass shots likely wont be enough. At that calorie intake, you should really be hitting at least 30-35g a fiber a day.

I have been eating this diet for a week and a half now and haven't been fighting off hunger at all....I have really good self control....that being said I want to make sure that I get all the nutrients that I need as well which seems to be hard keeping it under 2600 cals and on a really tight budget

BigBossMan
06-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I see where you're going with this, but GI is kinda flawed in that it falls apart when meals are combined. For example, a Mars bar has a lower GI than rice cakes.

Staying under 10% from saturates doesn't really say much about your diet. 10% of what? Calories? Fats?

Guidelines I trust for fats are to get at least half a gram of fat per pound LBM, with a third from each of polys, monos, and saturates. If you like your fats higher than this (I'm one of 'em), lean toward more monos.

Wheat grass has a lot of chlorophyll, but that's not all there is to veggies!

I want my saturated fats to be under 10% of my fat intake......right now it is at 8% that is good for me....as far as veggies they all seem to have very little calories/carbs so it is no problem I would probable just pick one veggie though and go with that for ease purpose I have done the Kale before and can't stomach it so I was thinking broccli.....and does steaming deplete the nutrients? Just eat it raw?

Built
06-11-2007, 03:13 PM
10% of your fat intake from saturates is too low.

You do need some saturates. A good target to shoot for, given your size would be about 25g of saturated fat, or about a third of your total fat if you go to about 75g fat daily (a healthy minimum).

That being said, your saturates are currently at 20g, which isn't far off.

Note that with your current level of fat consumption (~100g) this represents roughly 20% of your total fat, not 8%.

BigBossMan
06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
whoops my bad I said that wrong less than 10% of total caloric intake which I hit 10% it would probably be right on for what you are talking about I think

Built
06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Try to get away from dosing essential macronutrients like protein and fat as percentages of total calories. Target them to something more stable - your LBM. That way you'll always get enough.

Mr. D
06-11-2007, 06:13 PM
I would still increase the protein in the 1230,3,6pm meals with some complete protein sources like eggs, cottage cheese, or a whey shake with milk.

Peanut butter isnt a protein source, its a fat source with *some* protein. Get some protein sources in those meals.

Like for example, the 6pm meal:
2 slices bread, 50-100g organic pasta sauce, 4 oz of low fat/fat free mozarella and maybe 1/2-1 tbsp of olive oil on top. Youll get your complete protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs all in one meal.

BigBossMan
06-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I would still increase the protein in the 1230,3,6pm meals with some complete protein sources like eggs, cottage cheese, or a whey shake with milk.

Peanut butter isnt a protein source, its a fat source with *some* protein. Get some protein sources in those meals.

Like for example, the 6pm meal:
2 slices bread, 50-100g organic pasta sauce, 4 oz of low fat/fat free mozarella and maybe 1/2-1 tbsp of olive oil on top. Youll get your complete protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs all in one meal.

Yeah I was thinking that the other day that most of my proteins during the day have a low BV rating. So i was thinking of going with skim milk instead along with the peanut butter and working out the calories of course....or I might do another whey shake too since it has the highest BV rating(when I have the money)

-thanks for all your help Mr D. all of your input has been great!

Mr. ?
06-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Wow, I had no idea that drinking 12oz of juice(s) is like drinking a can of pop. I just always thought since the sugar was natural that it was okay for you. Good call Built!

Check this info out:
http://www.hookedonjuice.com/

Built
06-13-2007, 02:23 AM
Isn't it nuts? All these people feeding this stuff to their kids, thinking it's good for them ...