PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to bench press.

pberge
06-12-2007, 08:45 AM
This guy was not having a good day.

SYklbxHP2tI

deeder
06-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Damn... That sucks.

Detard
06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Repost but yeah thats pretty ****ty. Suicide grip FTL!!

deeder
06-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I hope everyone realizes that when something like this happens, the blame should be on the spotters. I don't care what kind of grip he's using... If he uses a thumbless grip that's all the more reason for the spotters to be watching carefully.

vrizzle
06-12-2007, 11:21 AM
I <3 suicide grip. :)

n I aint neva droppt it awn mahself

I have a friend that cracked a few ribs dropping w/ suicide, and another who dropped 325+ 3 times this year and is alright. The second guy is fat so he had a lot of protection.

Phenom
06-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I hope everyone realizes that when something like this happens, the blame should be on the spotters. I don't care what kind of grip he's using... If he uses a thumbless grip that's all the more reason for the spotters to be watching carefully.

The bar only fell a few inches, there wasn't a chance they would have been able to react and then stop the bar from free falling before it landed on the guys chest.

deeder
06-12-2007, 12:51 PM
The bar only fell a few inches, there wasn't a chance they would have been able to react and then stop the bar from free falling before it landed on the guys chest.

Why weren't their hands already under the bar?

Phenom
06-12-2007, 03:51 PM
It's hard to tell if they are directly under the bar or not from that angle. It looks to me like they are paying close attention to whats going on. I think expecting them to catch the bar while it's freefalling is asking a little too much IMO.

deeder
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
It's hard to tell if they are directly under the bar or not from that angle. It looks to me like they are paying close attention to whats going on. I think expecting them to catch the bar while it's freefalling is asking a little too much IMO.

Well then what is the purpose of having spotters? It's easy to tell... They have their hands spread and beside the bar. Their hands should be overlapping and under the bar so that if it falls it falls right into their hands.

MPB
06-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I always use suicide grip when I'm doing military/bench press and I've never had any accident. I just make sure my palms are 180 degrees flat so the bar doesn't fall on me.

samj
06-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I used to do it then i seen videos like that then i stopped and imo there is no difference.

ray34iyf
06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Holy *****. That's scary, and that's why BP scares the crap out of me..

RhodeHouse
06-12-2007, 06:24 PM
The spotters suck! They absolutely should have caught the bar. F@#$ING TARDS! They're too busy jacking each other off.

chris mason
06-12-2007, 06:44 PM
That exact same thing happened to me when I was 19 or 20. At the time I could handle 365 lbs for 4-5 reps raw. I was at a buddy's house benching and was on my 2nd or 3rd rep. The weight was feeling relatively easy, but my wrists just gave out the and bar bounced on my chest. It knocked the wind out of me and I had the ****s for a day. Lol, not good!

bigbadwolfe
06-12-2007, 07:37 PM
The spotters actually did everything right. They were right there unfortunately it happens so fast unless you are actually holding the bar there is now way you are both gonna react fast enuf to catch it. The bar only fell a few inches if he would of been closer to lockout and popped out the spotters reacted fast enuf they would of at least slowed the bar down some. Crazy Crazy Crazy WRAP THOSE THUMBS!!!!! I've used both and thumbless is a risky bit!!!

Bob
06-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I agree with Wolfy...
Yeah gotta think about the big benchers like him.. if the bar slips at all, there is nothing ANY 2 spotters in the world (even Svend K and Chuck V) are going to do to catch a 700, 800, 900 or 1000 lb bar. NOTHING.. but slow it down a little.

Spotters are there to get it off the chest as fast as possible... in the extreme case.. So you don't choke to death...

Otherwise they are there if you fail to make the press and the bar starts to move back towards the the chest.

Look at one of Mendy's last >1000 failure... he still had to hold the bar until the spotters took it out of his hands.. and even then, it took more then 2 on the sides... if it crashed to his chest, that's >500lb reverse DL catch... impossible to do.

Sensei
06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning the grip. It's not the grip that made him lose the barbell...

Phenom
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I agree with Wolfy...
Yeah gotta think about the big benchers like him.. if the bar slips at all, there is nothing ANY 2 spotters in the world (even Svend K and Chuck V) are going to do to catch a 700, 800, 900 or 1000 lb bar. NOTHING.. but slow it down a little.

Spotters are there to get it off the chest as fast as possible... in the extreme case.. So you don't choke to death...

Otherwise they are there if you fail to make the press and the bar starts to move back towards the the chest.

Look at one of Mendy's last >1000 failure... he still had to hold the bar until the spotters took it out of his hands.. and even then, it took more then 2 on the sides... if it crashed to his chest, that's >500lb reverse DL catch... impossible to do.

:withstupi

Simple physics could prove that there's no way those two guys would have been able to catch the bar and stop it from falling before it reached his chest. That's A LOT of momentum. There's no way the two spotters would have been able to provide the amount of force needed to decelerate the bar to a dead stop in such a short distance. They could have slowed it down a little at best.

Chris Rodgers
06-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Seriously, I'd love to see any of you who think the spotters should have caught that to try spotting in a meet. You can't touch the bar while they lift. Nobody can react that fast when a weight is dropped. It might tap your hand or arm on the way down, but you are not gonna catch that.

vdizenzo
06-13-2007, 05:50 AM
That happened to me with 805 at the top at a competition. I brought spotters. Unfortunately one of them missed it--s**t happens. However, the other caught it. It just goes to show you that it can be caught. One of our partners had both bones in his forearm snap in a competition with the weight at the top and the spotters there caught it. IT CAN BE DONE! You must have strong spotters and they must give their undivided attention. Lastly, I have lifted, spotted, loaded, and judged in meets before anyone asks so I have a good grasp on what goes on.

zen
06-13-2007, 06:03 AM
A am also of the opinion that the spotters could not reasonably be expect to have caught that.
When it slips out like that, it's just too fast. Maybe as little as 0.05 seconds.
It's different if a guy has an injury or pull (maybe 0.25s) or fails to make the lift and struggles with it going down (up to 1.5s).
Sometimes you see guys at the gym spotting with their hands cupped right underneath the end of the bar, and only then might someone have a chance to tense up and slow down the bar's decent, but at a competition, you don't want a spotter getting that close, do you?

mikesbytes
06-13-2007, 06:36 AM
I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning the grip. It's not the grip that made him lose the barbell...

Yes, for some reason he seems to rotate his wrists upwards and the bar falls off. If he had simply failed, then the bar would of gone downwards with his hands. I'm wondering if he had some other sort of problem that he reacted to?

Are you 100% sure which grip he is using? Its difficult to tell from the video.

Sensei
06-13-2007, 06:38 AM
It's the shirt - he either misgrooved it, or the shirt blew.

smokinHawk
06-13-2007, 06:38 AM
how many people can catch like 250lbs and not move there hands when it impacts them?

vdizenzo
06-13-2007, 06:45 AM
We catch weight at your gym every so often. However, it is usually weight coming at the face. If I did not trust my guys I would not play with the heavy weight I do and I lift with a suicide grip. This is a serious game with serious risks. If you don't think you can reasonably grab something then don't spot. If they were prepared they would have at least slowed the bar down a bit. I don't care what anyone else says.

WillKuenzel
06-13-2007, 07:45 AM
I agree that maybe they could have slowed it down, but I don't think they could have caught it.

Suicide grip or not, it wasn't his grip that failed. His wrist rolled when he misgrooved the shirt, like Sensei suggested. Even if he had been gripping the bar (which I'm not convinced it was a suicide grip, it looked to me like he wrapped his thumbs around), it wouldn't have stopped him from dumping the bar. I've dropped 225 on my chest before and I was gripping the bar. Just like that guy, my wrists gave out and it dumped forward. I had a good grip but when your wrists roll forward like that there ain't anything you can do to stop it.

Generally spotters are looking to help if you can't get it by yourself but don't just dump it. You'll see plenty of failed attempts on the internet where spotter grab a guy that just can't do the weight. But those rare occasions where something so bad happens so fast the spotters have a hard time reacting, especially if it's a ton of weight.

deeder
06-13-2007, 08:30 AM
We catch weight at your gym every so often. However, it is usually weight coming at the face. If I did not trust my guys I would not play with the heavy weight I do and I lift with a suicide grip. This is a serious game with serious risks. If you don't think you can reasonably grab something then don't spot. If they were prepared they would have at least slowed the bar down a bit. I don't care what anyone else says.

What if it had dropped on his face or neck? Would you guys still say the spotters weren't at fault?

The guy on the left gets his hands on the bar... The guy on the right doesn't have his hands anywhere near the bar and it goes right through them... Big surprise.

vdizenzo
06-13-2007, 08:37 AM

What if it had dropped on his face or neck? Would you guys still say the spotters weren't at fault?

The guy on the left gets his hands on the bar... The guy on the right doesn't have his hands anywhere near the bar and it goes right through them... Big surprise.

Yeah, what he said! :soapbox:

Chris Rodgers
06-13-2007, 03:04 PM
We catch weight at your gym every so often. However, it is usually weight coming at the face.

I agree with this. We catch these all the time in training.(even caught a missed 1005 with minimal spotting), but the way that lifter lost it so low like that, there is now way unless you were physically touching the bar/plates the whole lift.

Fit_Crystal
06-15-2007, 08:32 PM
scary video, it's my nightmare .I'll have it in mind tomorrow when I do Bench press :rolleyes: