PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Elbow Support/Brace/Wrap Should I Get?

jed
06-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Alright so for about 10 months now my elbow has been irritating me completely. It started off in football when it just got hurt in practice and it was a searing pain when I would push out on something or contract my bi's / tri's. I got an MRI, nothing showed. Doc put me on anti inflammatories and I went through 3 bottles and the pain has come back worse. He won't give me any more now. Ibuprofein does NOT help, neither does 2x fish oil, 2x flax oil, and 4x glucosamine/condroitin every day. Actually, since I started glucoseamine it has gotten worse. (Freakish coincidence? you tell me.)

So now that I've about had enough of this and want to saw my elbow off, I'm going to try one last resort before I take a blacksmiths mallet to my elbow and completely destroy it altogether...

I'm going to get a brace or wrap or support whatever you call it. I want help to know wich one is good for football, and wich ones are good for weightlifting. For weights, my tri's hurt most when it's purely isolating the triceps, and not in compound movements like bench where it targets a bunch of muscles.

For football, I'm thinking a brace with metal supports in it to restrict medial and lateral movement, etc. It hurts when I get off the line and get my hands on the guy and start moving my arms. When I lock out, pull him towards me, or push him away it hurts. This is in my left elbow.

Please don't tell me to 'suck up the pain', because I've been sucking it up for 10 months and now it's gotten to the point where I cant even directly work my triceps anymore.

Any suggestions on what types of brace/wrap I should get is what I'm asking for. If I have the wrong idea for the weightlifting or football one, please share your opinion and tell me how it works better. I want to get the best support I can out of this so I want the best brace/wrap. Thank you.

edit : if you think this needs to be put in General Health, then please move it. I wasn't sure wich would be better. Thanks.

deeder
06-14-2007, 10:16 PM
If tricep isolation aggravates it why are you still doing it?

I don't know anything about braces or whatever but I'd say you need to address this problem rather than get a crutch for it.

jed
06-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Because there's nothing that helps it. The only way it can heal would be surgery (wich my family can't afford at the moment) or (maybe) taking like 6 months off of weights, wich I can't really do. I just want to get through these two more years of high school, and then if it's still f****d I will look into surgery or laying off it for X amount of months.

deeder
06-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Because there's nothing that helps it. The only way it can heal would be surgery (wich my family can't afford at the moment) or (maybe) taking like 6 months off of weights, wich I can't really do. I just want to get through these two more years of high school, and then if it's still f****d I will look into surgery or laying off it for X amount of months.

Would you rather be healthy for a year and a half of your high school football career or be ****ed up and risk injuring yourself further and not being able to play?

jed
06-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, what do you suggest? The only thing I excel in is lifting weights and playing football, if I were to stop both of those I would have nothing left for my high school career.

What are your opinions on the braces or wraps? What are the best kind do you think? If I get the right kind, then I might be able to take enough stress off my elbow to keep lifting weights good enough, but not use my triceps/elbow as much.

jtteg_x
06-14-2007, 11:44 PM
i use pro mueller elbow sleeves and it sucks. its starting to peel and the stitching is starting to tear.

smokinHawk
06-15-2007, 06:51 AM
about a year and a half ago i was having some real bad elbow pain from benching. I was bothering me pretty bad and i was trying to make good gains on my benchpress but they were holding me back, plus the fact that i know i had to step up on my tricep training to increase my bench to the next level.
when it was really bad i took a nylon strip (not the streachy type just the strap canvas type) and wrapped my elbow tight to support it, it allowed me to work through my injury with out hurting it further and rehabilitate it so it didnt hurt that bad, but still hurt. After i got to the point where they just hurt a little bit, i got those muller neoprene elbow wraps and used those when i worked my triceps (bench or skull crushers) and they worked great, the havent peeled or tore yet, but are starting to where a little and might have to replace them after a while. Now my triceps do not hurt at all and i still wear them for preventitive maintance. they keep your joints warm and offers a little support but do not assist your lifts.

I would get neoprene elbow sleves they worked for me.

Clifford Gillmore
06-15-2007, 06:59 AM
+1 on the neoprene sleeve.

deeder
06-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, what do you suggest? The only thing I excel in is lifting weights and playing football, if I were to stop both of those I would have nothing left for my high school career.

What are your opinions on the braces or wraps? What are the best kind do you think? If I get the right kind, then I might be able to take enough stress off my elbow to keep lifting weights good enough, but not use my triceps/elbow as much.

I already told you what I suggest... Fix yourself, then enjoy being healthy for the rest of your time playing football and lifting in school. What good is it going to do you playing with a bum elbow for the next two years?

Go see a doctor/physiotherapist/whatever you think is appropriate.

Chubrock
06-15-2007, 08:46 AM
One thing that nobody has suggested is the possibility that it is your rotator cuff causing the problems. This would also explain why the scan of your elbow showed nothing. I had a very similar experience about a year ago. I had shooting pain in my elbow, both to be honest but the right moreso than the left. I had my dad take a look at it, and after diagnosing me, he determined that I had a partial tear in my rotator cuff which was causing the pain to shoot down into my elbow. What I had thought was pure elbow pain was actually a RC injury. I started doing a lot of RC work and finally the elbow doesn't bother me anymore.

Just something to thinka bout.

jed
06-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Really Chub? That's weird... How can the shoulder make pain in the elbow? Interesting. Is there any way to figure it out without getting an MRI or anything that's less expensive?

And to the neoprene guys, was yours like this? http://www.painreliever.com/nev107.html
With a strap, two straps or no straps? Thanks.

smokinHawk
06-15-2007, 10:24 AM
i have ones without straps

Chubrock
06-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Really Chub? That's weird... How can the shoulder make pain in the elbow? Interesting. Is there any way to figure it out without getting an MRI or anything that's less expensive?

Haha not really how it causes the shooting pain. My dad's the doc, not me lol. I would imagine that your physician should be able to get a fair idea about the condition of your RC by manipulating a couple of places and running a couple of simple tests, however, I'm not sure how good your doctor is with dealing with that type of injury so it may be better for you to see a sports medicine physician.

WillKuenzel
06-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Pinched nerve or muscle imbalance can cause pain to radiate down the arm. With a muscle imbalance your joints are pulled out of their normal leverage angles and can cause some radiating pain. Look into a protracted shoulder girdle or anterior head carriage.

jed
06-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Thank you everyone. I've listened to all your sugestions and are taking them in to consideration. THe only reason I'd not like to go to the doc is because my family is really pressed for money at this time and even though it's a health issue, it's not 'serious'. Yes, I have listened to you too Deeder even though I may act like I haven't :)

I found some cloth wrap in a first aid kit today and was messing around and wrapping my elbow with it, and it actually felt good! It would let my triceps get pretty much fully extended, but would also help support my elbow at the same time.

waynedang
06-16-2007, 09:20 AM
I have had some elbow issues for a few years. I wear a sleeve when training raw and to help keep the elbows warm. I also went to the Chiro for a few weeks of A.R.T. this was a huge help for me. I go back a coupel times a year to get adjusted and some A.R.T.. I also took some time off and that was the biggest help.

These are the elbow sleeves I use http://www.prowriststraps.com/tk_knee_bands_tommy_kono_knee_bands_support

Here is the A.R.T. link http://www.activerelease.com

jed
06-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Cool thanks Wayne, would you say those sleeves helped a lot or just a little bit? They look really good.

RhodeHouse
06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
REST! Let your body heal. Pain is a way your body tells you it needs to REST! Wrapping it and masking the pain will do nothing except make it worse.

jed
06-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks Rhodes.

I've decided I'm going to do a whole month of no elbow using at all. Any exersizes that make my elbow feel weird the slightest bit I won't do at all. Wich pretty much means abosutely no upper body, but I can do a few things like pullups since they don't hurt my elbow somehow. If it's gotten any better in the month, I'll keep going till it's healed, and if it hasn't changed at all I'll probly cut my arm off. I'll report back when the test is complete!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, well appreciated!

RhodeHouse
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Ice is your best friend. Take the time now. I swear it'll pay off in the end. Be patient. Good luck! SFW