PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical HIIT

arya202
06-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Anyone got a good routine I could do? I have no idea where to start but I wanna do it twice a week and I like the elliptical can someone help me out and gimmie a sample routine?

Also should I use the eilliptical that does or doesn't incorporate your arms?

Anthony
06-15-2007, 12:42 PM
1) Pick a work period (... 20 seconds).
2) Pick a rest period (... 10 seconds)
3) Pick how many times to repeat work/rest (... 8 sets).
4) Apply.

Vary the work/rest/sets as much as you want. I'm not a huge fan of the elliptical for HIIT, but you can do this with ANYTHING. A barbell thruster is more than enough.

arya202
06-15-2007, 01:07 PM
1) Pick a work period (... 20 seconds).
2) Pick a rest period (... 10 seconds)
3) Pick how many times to repeat work/rest (... 8 sets).
4) Apply.

Vary the work/rest/sets as much as you want. I'm not a huge fan of the elliptical for HIIT, but you can do this with ANYTHING. A barbell thruster is more than enough.

Can I do it for longer periods, like say work for 1 minute, rest for 30?

Anthony
06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, but short periods have been shown to be more effective. But do what you feel comfortable with and/or enjoy. Anything other than slow and steady is a bonus.

arya202
06-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah, but short periods have been shown to be more effective. But do what you feel comfortable with and/or enjoy. Anything other than slow and steady is a bonus.

More effective at what? Burning fat? Making you faster? Stronger? Giving your better endurance?

I mean what you suggested is 4 minutes, is that enough? Should I do something that's that short everyday?

Mr. D
06-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Its about intensity and quality, not quantity.

I think the point is that for those 20 secs you can go all out moreso than you can for 30 or 60 secs. Plus with only 10 sec rest period, you are really thrashing your body.

Do some searches on Tabata (sp?).

arya202
06-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Its about intensity and quality, not quantity.

I think the point is that for those 20 secs you can go all out moreso than you can for 30 or 60 secs. Plus with only 10 sec rest period, you are really thrashing your body.

Do some searches on Tabata (sp?).

So doing that 4-5 minutes at the end of my work out is probably the best way? Is that what most people here do?

Mr. D
06-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=83110&highlight=thruster

arya202
06-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't know man...

I'm just a newbie who's doing WBB 1.1 and wants to add one some hills, some jumprope, and some HIIT on the elliptical, and I wanna know how and when to it.

Hills I'll do on offdays and I know exactly how to that from reading "How to do cariod, if you must!". Now I'm trying to find out about jump rope and elliptical?

Tabata sounds cool, can I do it with thrusters and then elliptical on every day except my total rest day? So basically 8 minutes of tabata 6 days a week?

Maybe thrusters 6 days a week is too much, if so what days should I do them?

muscleup
06-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Don't limit yourself to just thrusters and elliptical. You can Tabata lots of stuff:
Box jumps
Push-ups
Sit-ups
Pull-ups
Double-unders
air squats
burpees...the list goes on. Mix and match as much as you want. When you pick more than 1 exercise do 8 rounds of the first exercise, then go directly into the next exercise only resting that 10 seconds. Keep that intensity as high as you possibly can.

Twice a week on your lifting days, might be a good place to start.

arya202
06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Don't limit yourself to just thrusters and elliptical. You can Tabata lots of stuff:
Box jumps
Push-ups
Sit-ups
Pull-ups
Double-unders
air squats
burpees...the list goes on. Mix and match as much as you want. When you pick more than 1 exercise do 8 rounds of the first exercise, then go directly into the next exercise only resting that 10 seconds. Keep that intensity as high as you possibly can.

Twice a week on your lifting days, might be a good place to start.

Alright, sounds awesome.How many 8 round sets should I do per workout session?

RedSpikeyThing
06-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Alright, sounds awesome.How many 8 round sets should I do per workout session?

if you are capable of doing more than one 8 round session you aren't going hard enough. Seriously, it should be the worst 5 minutes of your life.

Anthony
06-16-2007, 06:24 PM
It's amusing how people say it's not enough before they actually try it. :D

Clifford Gillmore
06-16-2007, 09:43 PM
It's amusing how people say it's not enough before they actually try it. :D

Word. I puked like a bitch when I decided to do weighted tabata squats. But hey, my squat went up.

I don't think I would use an elliptical myself, I'd much rather do sprints out in a parking lot or on a hiking trail.

Con
06-17-2007, 06:38 AM
You used weights?????

Brave man........

North
06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Man I wish I would've read this about 30 minutes ago before I did hills, I think i'm going to switch between tabata front squats and hills every week till i'm done cutting. Thanks for the good read Mr. D