PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Gatorade instead of Glucose?

arya202
06-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Alright so I'm under the impression that after every work out you should take some whey protien to quickly start rebuilding your muscles and to make the protien uptake quicker you should take some glucose with it.

I've heard you can use gatorade powder instead of glucose is this true?

Also, would using milk in a post workout shake defeat the whole purpose of a post workout shake? And how much glucose or possibly gatorade is a good amount for a post workout shake?

ddegroff
06-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I've used powdered gatorade with good success. It's made up of glucose with some fructose.

Some would say that milk will "slow" down the whey. I would say try it out and see what works for you. I usually don't have milk at the gym with me so I do ground oats/whey. Ground oats/whey/gatorade powder would work well.

One thing to keep in mind is mixing certain flavors. I've only ever found lime/orange/fruitpunch(sometimes) at the local super market. Vanilla nitrean and orange tastes just like a creamcicle. Chocolate gets a little weird but it's not bad.

Another option that I've used is Accelerade in my pwo shakes. But thats got a lot more fructose than some would recommend.

Clifford Gillmore
06-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Try have the shake in water, you don't really want to have the fat from the milk directly before/after a workout.

I use 2 scoops protein powder, one half scoop powerade and one scoop dextrose. Gives me the exact same macros as Biotests SURGE PWO protein, and tastes great!

Mr. D
06-15-2007, 10:49 PM
If you get a blend like nitrean then you get both casein and whey. If you are going whey only, i would add 8 oz of skim milk.

As far gatorade powder vs glucose, either should be fine.

jamrock
06-19-2007, 02:33 PM
glucose pills.. save the stomach space for something worth it.

arya202
06-19-2007, 02:40 PM
If you get a blend like nitrean then you get both casein and whey. If you are going whey only, i would add 8 oz of skim milk.

As far gatorade powder vs glucose, either should be fine.

Why only 8oz? If it's fat free milk it shouldn't slow down digestion right?

Outshine
06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Why not just use dextrose? It's insanely cheap.

arya202
06-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Why not just use dextrose? It's insanely cheap.

Yeah I know, but I can't find it in stores and I don't have a credit card to order it online.

Outshine
06-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah I know, but I can't find it in stores and I don't have a credit card to order it online.
Ah, I see. Then your next best bet probably is the powdered gatorade.

Howard 9
06-19-2007, 06:39 PM

I heard that they sell dextrose at brewery stores or something. Might wanna check that out. I am going to do so soon or just order online.

greekboy80
06-20-2007, 07:01 AM

Do you have a membership to Sams Club, BJ's or any thing like it?

I buy those GIANT pixy sticks. They are 100% dex and they taste good in water. I take 2 GIANT sticks and mix them in an old gatorade bottle. It tastes great. The stats are, 52 grams of dextrose = 208 calories. I also have a regular whey protein shake on the side.

Works great and tastes great too!

jamrock
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM

PixyStix (candy) or Glucose pills, in the pharmacy, with the rest of the diabetic stuff..