PDA

View Full Version : Too late?

McVein
06-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Boyos....

Im 18, ive had some experience with martial arts. My uncle is a 3rd dan black belt in kenpo karate and tought me when i was younger, although i gave it up tp play soccer.

My question is, i was looking to ge back into it now that ive finished school, and i was looking to do roman greco wrestling for my groundwork, and kenpo for standup...do you think id have a chance on the mma scene, which in ireland isnt great, but theres a few amateur fights going around.

Have I started too late?

andy51
06-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Go for it.. you'll never know if you dont try.

blackboard
06-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Boyos....

Im 18, ive had some experience with martial arts. My uncle is a 3rd dan black belt in kenpo karate and tought me when i was younger, although i gave it up tp play soccer.

My question is, i was looking to ge back into it now that ive finished school, and i was looking to do roman greco wrestling for my groundwork, and kenpo for standup...do you think id have a chance on the mma scene, which in ireland isnt great, but theres a few amateur fights going around.

Have I started too late?

You are still young. For the ground I would train Brazilian jiu jitsu. Greco is great but a lot of mma guys will tap you out. MMA champs win by knockout kicks, punches, and submission.

leafy2
06-17-2007, 08:39 AM
your kind of late because you cant make it into college wrestling, but go for it man. its alot of fun, and who knows? you might pick it up really easy and actually make it!

Chubrock
06-17-2007, 08:51 AM
You're not too old but there are factors that can't be tested until you actually start training. Age wise, you're fine. What's really going to be the biggest test is determining where you stand as far as hand eye coordination, control of your body, ability to take a punch in the face, attitude etc etc. These factors won't come into play until you start training, and IMO determine much much more than your age.

Anthony
06-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Never too late! Look at the champs, most are in their 30's. 12 years is plenty of time to develop a strong game.

McVein
06-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys, well ive been known to take a preeety good punch, i cant do college wrestling because we dont do that over here, il let you all know when i choose my disciplines

WVtackle72
06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
no way its too late...my Football coach is 28 and hes starting his first amutar fight on july 5th....although he is 6'3 280lbs and played pro football.....and built like a tank...he shows u that age isnt a question

HPF
06-18-2007, 04:47 PM
go for it. greco is a great base. you will need some submission knowledge eventually but nothing beats a rasslers tenacity

McVein
06-22-2007, 05:23 AM
My uncle has opened up a new gym, he is teaching kenpo karate, there is a blackbeltin judo, and a junior blackbelt in jiu jitsu.

I hope to learn as much as I can.

He says if he pushes me, I could have my blackbelt in 5 years.

CosmicForce
06-22-2007, 06:41 PM
It's definately not to late. I know guys who didn't get into MMA until there late 20's. Go for it bro'.