PDA

View Full Version : Food Scales

Albertz
06-17-2007, 04:06 AM
Hey guys,

When should i weigh my food?

i.e - Chicken breast - should i way it after grilling it or before grilling it (raw)?
- Rice - should i weigh it before cooking it or after cooking it?
- etc...you get the drift...

Yeah abit confused...please help :)....

Stackattack
06-17-2007, 04:12 AM
It depends on whether the nutritional information you have is for raw or cooked..

Albertz
06-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Ahh okay...

Well let's say i buy chicken breast, meat, fish for example....When should i weigh it?. I would like to do this so i no what macronutrients im taking.

Con
06-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Well I have two things to add:

1. However you decide to go about this, just make sure your are CONSISTENT. Even if you are not truly eating as much as you think, consistency will make sure adjustments achieve desired results.

2. I like to weigh chicken after I cooked it, and multiply that by 1.333. After that, just use the nutritional info. There was a thread a while back, explaining why this makes sense. Not sure how accurate it is, but thats the way I ALWAYS do it.

ddegroff
06-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Well I have two things to add:

1. However you decide to go about this, just make sure your are CONSISTENT. Even if you are not truly eating as much as you think, consistency will make sure adjustments achieve desired results.

This is the way I do it too. Although, I usually just weigh it after cooking. I always do it the same way. Seems to work fine for me. I'm sure the cals are off a little bit but it doesn't make that big of a difference.

SpecialK
06-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I assume all nutrition lables for meats are for raw weights. After all, the way you cook the food can drastically alter the nutritional content, and there is no way the manufacturer can anticipate how you are going to cook it.

For chicken breasts, I weigh them cooked and multiply by 4/3. That is, I found that a cooked chicken breast weighs about 3/4 as much as it did raw, so multiplying by 4/3 is just a quick rule of thumb I use to enter stuff into fitday.