PDA

View Full Version : Hips

ValleyFR
06-17-2007, 10:59 AM
How do you work the hips? In sports Hip movement is very important and other then stretching how do you work the muscles around the hips, or make your hips more mobile?

rbar89
06-17-2007, 01:33 PM
squats, cleans and deads, and core stuff also works the hips like with twists and bends

Adam
06-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Agility drills will help a lot for sports.

Noxon
06-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Add to that Romanian Deadlifts, Glute-Ham Raises, etc.

www.exrx.net
www.bodybuilding.com

Both of those sites have good exercise repositories that map exercises to specific muscle groups. For true functional hip strength, stick to major compound exercises like squat and deadlift variations.

stepto180
06-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Agility drills will help a lot for sports.

ditto

plus I have found hack squats are great for hip strength

ValleyFR
06-30-2007, 11:09 PM
what the hell are hack squats anyways?

stepto180
07-01-2007, 10:47 AM
i do them with dumbells but you can do then with a barbell too
you hold the db's behind your butt and squat down till your quad is parallel to the ground...the critical part on these is keeping your back perpendicular to the groud ...if you dont do that theres no point in doing them...I also do them with my heels elevated (on a bumper plate or something abou 3-4inch high)

ValleyFR
07-01-2007, 03:36 PM
o.O wtf...that sounds just like a normal squat!!!! maybe i should youtube/wikisearch/and google it!!!...

I will see if i can find it though, thanks for all the help guys! Now i just need to get back on my diet and stuff, trying to cut a few lbs this month...

stepto180
07-01-2007, 08:22 PM
the positiong of the barbell or db is the big difference places emphasis on different things

ValleyFR
07-01-2007, 08:46 PM
:thumbup: Ok, I got it now, i searched it on Youtube to get a good visual on it.
Well the only problem is that none of the gyms i go to have a machine where you stand and do that,but they have the legpress machine where you can lay on your back and bring it to your chest and push it back up. Would that work the same....or am i just hoping for to much?

stepto180
07-02-2007, 11:04 PM
you dont need a machine I have never done this exercise on a a machine just stick a bumber plate under your heels (so you can squat without falling...mainly) and hold the barbell or db behind you butt

this is the best vidieo I could find

http://www.fitrex.com/video/small/dumbell_hack_squat.avi

(but from experience its harder if you put the db behind you butt rather then at you sides and mimics a barbell hack squat better)