PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Lifting routine for football

WVtackle72
06-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey...im going into my Senior year of football...im 5'9 235 lbs...alittle chubbier but still muscular....really would like to work on my squat,bench, and clean..im currently at a plaetu with my lifts...i bench 225 3x, squat 320 4x, and clean 175 5x.....i Take Whey Protein and Take NO Xplode before my lifting sessions...any lifting tips/rutines u guys can give me will be MORE then appriciated...

thanks a lot

KoolDrew
06-17-2007, 06:33 PM
First of all, what does your routine currently look like? What's your diet like?

WVtackle72
06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
First of all, what does your routine currently look like? What's your diet like?

people say i need to change my rutine..cause its bassiaclly i go to the gym and work my lats, chest,shoulders,bi's,and tri's, and back all in 1 day, then the next day work my back, qauds, hams, and other leg things...they same i need to concentrate on like 2 areas a day...i go to the Gym 5-7 days a week...my diet is really a meat every day atleast 2 means w/ vegtible, i dont drink soda..but i dont really concentrate on loosing weight cause i have to stay between 225-235 for football....can u give me a rutine to stick to...

Bako Lifter
06-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Frankie NY's Mass Building Program by Frankie NY

NOTICE: THIS ROUTINE ASSUMES AT LEAST 6 MONTHS OF BREAK IN TRAINING FOR BEGINNERS.

THIS ROUTINE IS INTENDED FOR THE NATURAL TRAINER ONLY

Several of you have asked me for a good mass building program, so here it is. I've used this routine with many natural bodybuilders as well as professional football players looking to add some bulk in the offseason.

How many days a week? I've seen the best results with natural bodybuilders in a bulking phase on 3 days a week, training each exercise once a week. I know almost every program in the magazines you guys read will say 4 days a week, training each muscle twice a week, but my experience with hundreds of guys is that guys that train 4 days a week never make the same gains as the ones that train 3 days a week. If you train a muscle hard enough, you just can't recover in less than 6-7 days. Just because the soreness is gone doesn't mean that the muscle is recovered. 4 and 5 day splits are fine for cutting phases but not for bulking.

How to split things up? Push, pull, and legs seems to be the best split for most guys. Working shoulders with legs doesn't yield good growth in the shoulders because they end up overtrained. On push shoulders get hammered, on pull shoulders get hammered, and even working legs shoulders get hit.

Sets and reps? Like I said before, if you want to gain mass you need to stay around 5-6 reps. 4x6 or 5x5 are both good combinations. In my experience the guys that make better gains on 8-12 reps are advanced bodybuilders or are on drugs. I don't care if you feel a pump or a burn or whatever. That has nothing to do with size or strength, only momentarily pumping blood into a muscle.

Increasing your weights? You need to add weights to the bar every workout if you can. Going up in 2 � or 5 pound increments is great. You won't be able to add more weight each week, but that needs to be your mentality. Don't think about anything else but adding weight.

How long to stay on a routine? My experience is that around 8-12 weeks is best. Some guys say that after 6-8 weeks they've hit a plateau and need to change their routine. That's hogwash. Most of the time they've hit a plateau because they're not training hard enough or because they've added in more exercises than what's in my program and hinder their recovery.

DAY 1 � PULL

Deadlifts or Power Cleans
Barbell Rows, Dumbbell Rows, or Chins
Barbell Curls, Close Grip Underhand Chins, or Hammer Curls

DAY 2 � PUSH

Incline or Flat Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press
Barbell or Dumbbell Shoulder Presses
Tricep Dips or Close Grip Bench Press

DAY 3 � LEGS

Front or Back Squats
Barbell or Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Calf Raises (3x12)
Weighted Crunches or Weighted Hanging Leg Raises (3x12)

WVtackle72
06-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks..but im looking for a more in depth rutine and for a 5-7 day a week training

KoolDrew
06-17-2007, 07:51 PM
You grow OUTSIDE of the gym, not in it. Give your body time to recover and go with no more than a 4-day split.

WVtackle72
06-17-2007, 07:55 PM
You grow OUTSIDE of the gym, not in it. Give your body time to recover and go with no more than a 4-day split.

yea i suppose im a gym rat cause there are a lot of weeks were i go 20+ days in a row lol......umm...lifting rutine????? mon-thurs?

Bako Lifter
06-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Ya, no more than 4 days a week.

Baby Got Back (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255)

That's a great routine. 4 days a week. Doesn't get much better than that.

WVtackle72
06-18-2007, 10:15 AM
any other lift schedules or ideaS?

McVein
06-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Bakos posted two allready.

HPF
06-18-2007, 05:41 PM
what position do you play. that is really important.

and remember in football it is not who can lift the most weight or push the most weight 5 times its who can do that 50 times each quarter.

WVtackle72
06-18-2007, 06:30 PM
what position do you play. that is really important.

and remember in football it is not who can lift the most weight or push the most weight 5 times its who can do that 50 times each quarter.

so Tru....im the either gana play center or guard on offense....and im starting DT too...so i will deffinatly be playing both sides of the ball......just doesnt have to be lifts..it can be things...but BE VERY SPECIFIC...i would like advice from another football player cause they know what i mean and need....thanks alot

KoolDrew
06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I played the same positions as you and here are my tips...

First of all, eat a ton. The more strength and size, the more of an advantage you will have, and your diet will play a key role in making this happen. This doesn't mean eat unhealthy, but definitely eat a lot. Your lifting routine should consist of heavy compound movements and olympic lifts (for explosiveness). You may actually want to look into Westside Barbell training, as it is good for putting strength gains. Also, even though you're a lineman you still need to be in good cardiovascular shape. You still need to be quick (quick out of your stance, quick to get to where you need to be, etc.) So I definitely suggest doing some conditioning work.

Bako Lifter
06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
:windup: :scratch:

Do Baby Got Back.

schmitty199
06-19-2007, 05:24 PM
:windup: :scratch:

Do Baby Got Back.

For football im not sure thats such a great program. For bodybuilding, yes its great but footballs different. While back muscles are important like every other muscle, spending that much time on your back for football is unessecary.

Id suggest something like this.

Day 1:
Incline Bench
Hang Clean
Back Squats(chinups between sets)
tricep extensions(bar or dumbell)
Shouldar shrugs

Day 2:
Bench Press
Push Press
Close grip bench
Bicep Curls
Glute Ham's(Very important imo)

Day 3:
Back Squats
Incline Bench
Power Cleans
Rows(any type you like)
Dumbell flys(again whatever kind you preffer)

Day 4:
Bench Press
Push Press
Military Press
Dips
Single arm curls
Toe Raises(I suppose you can do these on any day you like.... or twice if you want)
Some sort of core work at the end of every workout. Or atleast 3 times a week. There's tons of ab workouts out there, pick a few that work well for you.

WVtackle72
06-19-2007, 05:27 PM
thakns shmitty that rutine sounds good.....im gana alter a few things but im writing it most down...maybe 1 less day of benching...but all in all good ideas and spread...thanks alot

schmitty199
06-19-2007, 05:35 PM
thakns shmitty that rutine sounds good.....im gana alter a few things but im writing it most down...maybe 1 less day of benching...but all in all good ideas and spread...thanks alot

No problem. That's roughly what our football team does.(I might have a few auxillaries on the wrong days... dont remember for sure) but all the lifts are there. Were pretty much always one of the better and more physical teams in the state so it produces good results.

Im not sure if you have this equitment but if you do it's definetly worth adding in if you have the energy after any of the days. The Jammer and the Vertimax.