PDA

View Full Version : AdamD Pics - 6months

AdamD
06-18-2007, 09:49 AM
hey guys, been reading this forum for a few days now, figured ide join up, and slap a few pics up..

Stats:
20yrs
5'9"
132-135pounds

ive been at the gym since 1-1-07 (new years resolution)..

ive gained only about 2-4pounds, since joining, but am constantly getting stronger.. i train every second day, and lift 70-80% of my max i guess..

only noticeable differences ive seen with myself are.. biceps are a little bigger, and i have gotten alot more tricep definition and size..

basically all im really after is to bulk up a bit, im sick of people commenting "your so skinny!" and the most insulting "man, you look like your on drugs" lol..

what im having most trouble is this:
when at the gym, obviously im alot larger due to working out all the muscles.. im actually quite happy with my build AT the gym.. but a few hours later its time to deflate.. and i just dont like the look of my relaxed body.. my arms have no size or definition.

so here are a couple pics
1st - front relaxed
2nd - flexed

personally i reckon these pics actually make me look better than i really do, although most of you probably think i look like im from a 3rd world country.. hehe

McVein
06-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Mate, without even looking at the pics, if youve only gained 2 pounds in 6 months, youre undereating. Id gain that in a day.

What routine are you following?
What is your diet like?

AdamD
06-18-2007, 09:59 AM
well for the first 5 momths, i had a shocking diet.. but upon more research, and frustration.. ive begun to eat healthier..

i.e. i do not drink soft drink (i use to drink at least 1-1.5litres a week)
i eat every few hours( i use to eat like 1-2 times a day, then after midnight, eat like 2 packets of chips lol)
i dont eat much junk food at all, e.g. chips, lollies, chocolate
im eating ALOT of rice, chicken, and any meat i can get my hands on..

im just signing up to that fitday thing, because i would like to be more educated on calories, fat, protein, etc..

i use to think i was one of those people "i cant gain wait, no matter how much i eat" ..but after reading alot on this forum, i have learnt thats just a poor excuse.. so i wont say that to you guys.. haha :P

as for routine.. again, first 3 months, didnt really know what i was doing.. month 4-5 got a bit more knowledge, and guidence from people around the gym..

the last month, ive realy been focusing on bigger muscle groups (compound i think the word is?).. and just really hammering at that kind of stuff to get a bit more bulk and over all strength..

something like..
monday - back and biceps (lat pull down, curls, etc)
tuesday - rest
wednesday - triceps and chest (bench.. close grip bench, tricep pull down, dips etc)
thursday - rest
friday - shoulders ( side lateral raises, alternate front dumbell raise, etc)
saturday - rest
sunday - start routine again

i know i dont do much legs, and i really should, but i really wanna get some upper body bulk.. then ill start working in the legs too.. cause no-one sees my legs, only my upper half :P though i know it looks stupid when people are heaps built on top, and not below.. but i dont plan to be huge before i start doing bottom..

i also dont do any abs, mainly because i got a 6pack already cause i got barely any fat at all.. i know i need core strength, but i also feel that the current weights im doing(close to my max) my abs seem to be handling it fine, and holding my body nice n still.. i feel like i still do work them out a bit, just by using them to balance etc.. again, i know once i start actualyl gaining wait by dieting properly, im going to need to start those too

BigBossMan
06-18-2007, 11:14 AM
i know i dont do much legs, and i really should, but i really wanna get some upper body bulk.. then ill start working in the legs too.. cause no-one sees my legs, only my upper half :P though i know it looks stupid when people are heaps built on top, and not below.. but i dont plan to be huge before i start doing bottom..

I would definetely start doing legs i.e. squats asap.

1. they are a great workout really intense day of lifting. and they are good for your whole body not just your legs.

2. they are contain some of the biggest muscles in your body and therefore can increase your weight quite a bit if you are trying to gain weight by building muscle.

as far as routine others may contradict this but I try and use my bodyweight as much as possible. Hanging rows for back....wide arm chins etc. Close grip push ups for tris. Chin ups for bis. I also exercise with extremely good form and don't worry about the weight on the bar. I go do the positive part of the exercise fast as possible using fast twitch muscle fibers and the negative part slow hitting the slow twitch muscle fibers. I usually 2sec postive 4sec negative. There are alot of different opinions on this and I see guys who are pretty big with terrible form in the gym so maybe form has nothing to do with it but this is what I do. I also use dumbells alot instead of barbells becuase it requires more muscles to balance the weights as well as lift them.

BFGUITAR
06-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Eat more man, all your problems will be solved.

And where are deadlifts? Where are squats?
The only compound movement I see there is bench. Instead of latpulls downs do chinups. Your not even doing ANY legs... HUGE problem. Squats and deadlifts are the core of any good routine.

Your routine isnt very good and using the word compound to describe your routine is silly... your routine looks like a routine made by a curl jockey. Do the WBB1 or BGB routine posted around here.

And doing abs cant hurt, do them for optimal abs growth.

At 135 I cant imagine how much bigger you can possibly get after a pump. You would still be very small especially at your height.

My point is, eat more, work out with a GOOD routine, not something your using.

Portboy
06-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Gain 50lbs...mmmaybe twice.

Detard
06-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Why would you start doing legs AFTER you have "bulk" on your upper body? Working legs wont take away from the work you put in on your upper. Oh, and uhhh yeah, gain 50lbs.

Mr. ?
06-18-2007, 01:20 PM
If you think 5’-9” 132lbs is bad I’ll make you feel better. When I got married 6 years ago I was 6’-1” 132lbs. I started working out and eating more about 2 1/2yrs ago. I put on about 20lbs in 8 months time, lost half of that and then gained it back again. I have maintained 150 without much effort. I have started lifting again after some time off due to health and personal schedule and am gaining again. I can not emphasize enough how important eating is. I can not emphasize enough how important working your legs out is either. My biggest gains overall were in my upper legs and I never felt better. Squat, Dead Lift, Bench, and Squat some more. Oh did I mention do Squats!

KoolDrew
06-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Like others have said, get on a better routine and start eating more. There are plenty of great routines out there. Currently I am doing BGB, and I like it a lot. However, I started with Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine and I liked it a lot as well, especially since I was just starting. Give it a try:

Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B:
Squat 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Barbell Rows 3x5

You can throw a bit of ab work in there too. You alternate between both workouts and do it three times a week. So the first week would be Monday (A), Wendseday (B), Friday (A), and then the next Monday would be B. It may not seem like a lot, but you need to hit the compound movements hard, and this routine is nothing but compound movements. Once you've built a good foundation using this routine, then start worrying about adding more stuff or moving onto a more complicated routine.

AdamD
06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated..

firstly i would like to clarify what i meant by not doing legs(dont take this as me arguing with you or thinking im right and your wrong)..
when i said i wanted to bulk up a little on top before i do legs, i mean that i only wanted to gain a very very little bit of weight and size up top before i start concentrating on my legs as well, i.e. just wanted to cover a bit of ribs, get a bit more shoulder, and bit more bicep and tricep so i look better when im wearing a tshirt.. i wasnt planning to become huge up top then start on legs lol..

i will have to do some searching, and find a workout that is appealing to me.. ill start doing that and ill also ask you guys for your advice on whether it is a good starting point.

as kooldrew suggested one, and says it has alot of compound movements, however i do feel i could do a bit more than that small workout, would it be detrimental or a good idea if i also throw in some bicep curls, and a bit of tricep work?

also here are a couple more pics of my current "physique", picture names are the descriptions obviously

Kiwirower
06-19-2007, 01:25 AM
I think the bit you're misinterpreting from everyone's comments about squats is that you're assuming squats are about getting bigger legs. Certainly that is one of the consequences.

Considerably more important is that squats, as perhaps the best overall compound exercise (your calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, abs and back are all employed at once) generate the greatest stimulation of testosterone production.

Doing big heavy squats with high intensity, providing you're eating enough to support that testosterone burst with the material to build muscle, will cause the greatest response in overall size gain. i.e. you'll get more out of all of the upper body exercises as well. Put simply: Squats + bicep curls = bigger biceps than simply (a greater number of) bicep curls alone.

I'm 5'10" and used to weigh 64kg (141 lb). I'm a real hard gainer and over 6 or 7 years I've grown to 84kg (185 lb). Squats were the key. And definitely the greatest gains were made when I ate so much I felt completely stuffed all day long.

AdamD
06-19-2007, 01:43 AM
thanks for clearing that up kiwirower.. makes alot more sense now, and im definately going to get into it!

however i do know there are various different version of "squats" are some better than others? e.g. would dumbell sqauts be better or worse than having a barbell on your shoulders? or is it just a matter of comfort?

Kiwirower
06-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Eventually (maybe quite quickly) you will get to a stage where you can squat a lot more than you can hang on to, so a barbell is necessary.

I've always however preferred to do lunges with dumbells than with a barbell - the movement means that there's more balancing required, and using dumbells obviously keeps your centre of gravity lower.

Bako Lifter
06-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Do regular squats with the barbell on your back.

Once you get the hang of those, you can try things like front squats, zerchers, and hack squats.

And remember to stay away from machine squats, leg press, and especially the Smith Machine. The leg press and "power squat machine" both have there place in a routine, but don't try to replace squats with them. The only thing the Smith is good for is to hang your towel on.

(and the newest weapon in my arsenal, the Kaz press :D)

AdamD
06-19-2007, 03:01 PM
still searching for an appealing routine

AdamD
06-19-2007, 03:02 PM
any links to more descriptive routines?
im pretty noob at all this, so some stuff you guys are saying, i have to google and figure out what the actual exercise is.. lol :P

BigBossMan
06-19-2007, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=Bako Lifter;1711660]Do regular squats with the barbell on your back

And remember to stay away from machine squats, leg press, and especially the Smith Machine. The leg press and "power squat machine" both have there place in a routine, but don't try to replace squats with them. The only thing the Smith is good for is to hang your towel on.
QUOTE]

what is a Smith Machine.....

Altephor
06-19-2007, 07:12 PM

Who cares what people can see. Don't neglect legs, they are much more important than biceps and what not.

AdamD
06-19-2007, 09:05 PM
ok, just got back from the gym.

did squats with the barbell on my shoulders for the first time..

warm up - 12 reps - 44lbs (just the bar)
1st set - 10 reps - 66lbs
2nd set - 10 reps - 88lbs
3rd set - 10 reps - 88lbs
4th set - 10 reps - 88lbs

how does that sound for a start? i dont wanna rush into it, cause my legs are quite thin, and havnt been worked out properly for a LONG time.. im sure i can quite easily push up to 100-110lbs after a few leg workouts.

now from lack of guidance, and no set routine yet, i figured ide just stick to legs.. and did:
standing calf raises
lying leg curl
leg extensions

how does that sound for a workout for 1 day.. e.g. Lower Body day

again, can anyone point me in a direction of a more detailed routine suitable to my current status, i have a "trial" appointment with a personal trainer tomorrow, and wouldnt mind having a print out to see what he thinks..

STATUS
06-19-2007, 09:14 PM
And I thought I was skinny lol...

EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT....than do it again please...lol

AdamD
06-21-2007, 07:41 AM
ok guys, found a routine.. please check it out and post in the thread any changes you think i should make to it, or any opinions on it at all..

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98546

nudavinci64
06-22-2007, 12:30 AM
yah def add in legs or ull be top heavy and wont gain as fast.. alot of exercises. push presses, squats, deadlefts, cleans etc.. they add in all the rest of the body in your exercises and your legs go rgith with it. They can be hard to get big and stronger if you dont work on it.