PDA

View Full Version : A sugar question

BigBossMan
06-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I just read builts article on sugar and the different types of sugars and the effects it has on the body.

I have also read why sugar causes excess fat storage but can't remember the exact process. How it forms 'omentum' I believe it is called. The book I read explained it all. And basically was saying to stay from sugar and food with high GI rating basically they didn't refer to GI directly but said to stick to fruits and veggies no white bread enriched flour stuff like that just 100% whole wheats.

Here in lies my question. How exactly does sugar promote excess fat storage and from the article it appears that fructose is the worst for this? Would it be possible to lose fat on the same calorie diet if someone just started 'eating healthier' and reduced their intake of sugar?

-the reason I ask is my daughter thinks that she is overweight even though I told her that she is a kid and really shouldn't worry about things like this. She insisted on going on a diet. Some of this is probably my fault becuase of how anal I am about what I eat. But I know she does eat alot of food high in sugar-juices/cake/ice cream/breakfast cereals etc....we don't permit sodas in my house

thanks for any answers provided,

<bbm>

Con
06-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Generally cleaning up ones diet can help, but in the end its about calories. If you are in a calorie deficit with a ton of sugar, you will lose weight. You just might be very hungry.

On the other end, you could have the CLEANEST diet ever - whole grains, fruits vegetables, plenty of protein, healthy fats - but if you re in a calorie surplus you will gain weight.

For your daughter, Id suggest getting her active. Weight training is always good, but sports are possibly better. I wish id done some sports in high. Who knows how different my life/physique would be different.

Mr. D
06-18-2007, 10:07 AM
For your daughter, just cut out lots of junk food.

Fructose has its place in a diet : to fill up liver glycogen.
Glucose has its place in a diet: to fill up muscle glycogen.

Its all about fitting in your macros and overall calories.

Basically it comes down to this, once you hit your protein and fat minimums, you dont have a lot of room for carby junk.

BigBossMan
06-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Generally cleaning up ones diet can help, but in the end its about calories. If you are in a calorie deficit with a ton of sugar, you will lose weight. You just might be very hungry.

For your daughter, Id suggest getting her active. Weight training is always good, but sports are possibly better. I wish id done some sports in high. Who knows how different my life/physique would be different.

I think that was the premise behind the idea that sugar makes you hungry becuase your body process it so quickly that you continue eating=more omentum/fat. Whereas if you eat healthy foods that suppress appetite inducing 'whatevers' in your body such as almonds/cinammon then you will satiated thereby eating less= caloric deficit. Unfortunately, my kids generation is extremely weird. When I was a kid I was outside 24/7 playing sports etc all day every day. My kids just wanna hang inside and play video games all day. I think part of it is that we live in a rural area where there are no neighbors to play with but here is what we have done. Whole grain breakfast cereals/pastas/bread etc... no video games except for on the weekend/ fruits and veggies for snacks and the sweets that we do have come from health food stores and contain mostly stevia. Required daily outside activity which they usually spend jumping on the trampoline. Bicycles or the next thing to come. It seems to be doing them good and they really haven't noticed anything as far as us (me and my wife)-secretly improving there diets. Oh and they would love more video games but.....

Con
06-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Yea I feel you on how kids are now so into video games.

I vividly remember begging to go outside at 9AM to only come back at 8-9 PM. I loved goin outside and hated inside. As I got older I got less active and you can guess what happened.

I see it full throtle in my brother. EVERYONE who has seen him when he was younger compaed to now had said the same thing: "Hes getting big". And my parents dont even do anything or even care. For example they could try and buy some better foods so my brother doesnt soley have access to junk. They could even substitute his sugary ice tea for crystal light which tatses damn good and he wouldnt even notice it.

Well sorry for the rant, but needed to get it out.

I applaud you for being concerned and taking actions to ensure your kids are healthy. They will thank you later.

CrazyK
06-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Yea I feel you on how kids are now so into video games.

I vividly remember begging to go outside at 9AM to only come back at 8-9 PM. I loved goin outside and hated inside. As I got older I got less active and you can guess what happened.

I see it full throtle in my brother. EVERYONE who has seen him when he was younger compaed to now had said the same thing: "Hes getting big". And my parents dont even do anything or even care. For example they could try and buy some better foods so my brother doesnt soley have access to junk. They could even substitute his sugary ice tea for crystal light which tatses damn good and he wouldnt even notice it.

Well sorry for the rant, but needed to get it out.

I applaud you for being concerned and taking actions to ensure your kids are healthy. They will thank you later.This is why great athletes consistently come out of the ghetto's. The only thing to "play" is active recreational games like basketball, street football, etc... Kids in the burbs sit inside and play video games, card games, all that.

ddegroff
06-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I think that was the premise behind the idea that sugar makes you hungry becuase your body process it so quickly that you continue eating=more omentum/fat. Whereas if you eat healthy foods that suppress appetite inducing 'whatevers' in your body such as almonds/cinammon then you will satiated thereby eating less= caloric deficit. Unfortunately, my kids generation is extremely weird. When I was a kid I was outside 24/7 playing sports etc all day every day. My kids just wanna hang inside and play video games all day. I think part of it is that we live in a rural area where there are no neighbors to play with but here is what we have done. Whole grain breakfast cereals/pastas/bread etc... no video games except for on the weekend/ fruits and veggies for snacks and the sweets that we do have come from health food stores and contain mostly stevia. Required daily outside activity which they usually spend jumping on the trampoline. Bicycles or the next thing to come. It seems to be doing them good and they really haven't noticed anything as far as us (me and my wife)-secretly improving there diets. Oh and they would love more video games but.....

I think you nailed it on the head. We blame video games, we blame crappy food but it's the parents with the control. I commend you for taking a step in the right direction. My parents did the same thing, made us eat healthy. Soda was never allowed and crap foods were never really around. I really feel that my up bringing is why I can eat healthy foods and love it.

Mr. D broke it down perfect. One thing to think about is fruit juice. Fruit is fine but fruit juice is loaded with sugar without all the good fibre.