PDA

View Full Version : couple questions

AdamD
06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
hey guys,

couple quick questions..

but first, check out this thread regarding me and my specs and lifestyle..
wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98415
(had to cut the front of link cause of my low post count, just copy and paste in url bar:))

1. i dont like water at all, i drink it when im at the gym, but all other times of the day, i drink cordial.. is this alright for me still? or should i REALLY just drink water? do note im very skinny..

2. after reading my stats, how many calories should i aim to eat per day?

3. can anyone suggest some crazy supershake i can make out of regular household food/drink(i.e. no protein powder)? something that i could have 1-2 times a day, which will really give a boost to my food/calorie/protein/carb intake per day

BigBossMan
06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
hey guys,

1. i dont like water at all, i drink it when im at the gym, but all other times of the day, i drink cordial.. is this alright for me still? or should i REALLY just drink water? do note im very skinny..

I drink only water and non-fat milk.....I don't know what cordial is but most beverages other than water have lots of sugar I even recently found that fresh squeezed organic juice even has alot of sugar in it and cut out my 1cup a day of apple juice i was drinking.

As far as food goes I would recommend tracking on fitday. I was suprised at how easy it is to up caloric intake. If you track what you eat every day for a week or two you can figure out a good guesstimate of what your maintainance calories are. Maintainance means you don't lose or gain weight...if you gain a little you were slightly above maintanence if you lose you are below maintanance. I find that the easiest way to up calories in a day is to up the intake of healthy fats and there is a minimal requirment that you should hit I believe it is .5g/lb of LBM if you are not hitting that then you can up it and make alot of calories because fat has almost twice the cals as carbs and protiens.

BigBossMan
06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
hey guys,
3. can anyone suggest some crazy supershake i can make out of regular household food/drink(i.e. no protein powder)? something that i could have 1-2 times a day, which will really give a boost to my food/calorie/protein/carb intake per day

certain proteins have different BV ratings according to what I have read. But it really depends on your budget. You can always do a whey/olive oil/milk shake.....has good amount of protein and fat then you could grind up some oatmeal and throw that in for some carbs if you wanted....you can easily make a 900 or so calorie drink that way...some people do ice cream. And natural peanut butter is another source of good fat that is good in a shake...I try and stay away from all sugar except for post workout but that is just me. If you go with no protien powder you can use cottage cheese....it is loaded with some good protein and throw some egg whites in too they have good protien if you don't mind them raw.

Mr. D
06-18-2007, 05:04 PM

2 Cups Whole Milk or 2%: 240-320 cals
1 Large Banana: 100 cals
1 Cup plain fatfee or lowfat yogurt: 110 - 150 cals
2 TBSP PB: 190 cals
2 TBSP Honey: 30 cals

Stick that in a blender. Itll taste great.

Sentry459
06-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Ideally you should drink a fair amount of water a day, for it's many benefits (too many to mention). Drinking cordial isn't ideal as already mentioned, it contains a high amount of sugar. Your diet shouldn't be really high in simple sugars (such as cordial) plus you'd have to add it to your daily calories which could be replaced with something more beneficial (whey shake, food).

Having said that if you don't enjoy water you could probably trying using lite cordial. Less sugar less cals. Don't forget that a lot of other drinks (diet coke, pepsi max all that crap) are low in cals and contain mostly water and most fruit contains water as well. In the end though I think you should suck it up mate and guzzle some water. Mixed it up with a few of the things mentioned so you don't get too bored. I drink about 3 litres of water a day, and I don't see how I could get that amount other than drinking straight water. Hope that helps!

tomv
06-18-2007, 08:56 PM
AdamD if you're gunna drink cordial just make sure it's like the "Cottees Lite" stuff or whatever mate. Ideally though, get into the water it's the go haha.

Sentry459
06-18-2007, 09:03 PM
AdamD if you're gunna drink cordial just make sure it's like the "Cottees Lite" stuff or whatever mate. Ideally though, get into the water it's the go haha.
My dad picks the fruit that goes to Cottee's. To make the cordial, that I like best!! haha. Think that's going on my workout playlist.

AdamD
06-19-2007, 12:42 AM
thanks for the feedback guys.. i guess i should try cutting down on the cordial and drinking more water!

that shake does sound pretty decent, gotta get some bananas!

though this wasnt intended to be a fitness shake, i do quite enjoy having, milk, vanilla icecream, 2teaspoons of peanut butter, and milo energy drink power, in a blender :) taste like a snickers bar.. reckon if i add a banana to that it would be about the same? im not really a fan of yoghurt..

finally, no-one seemed to comment on a perhaps average calorie intake i should have per day.. anyone?

i have signed up to fitday, and did yesterday, tonight ill post up a link to show my current average diet..

Mr. D
06-19-2007, 01:00 AM
once you put up a link, we can make comments on how much to eat and what to eat.

BigBossMan
06-19-2007, 09:41 AM
As far as food goes I would recommend tracking on fitday. I was suprised at how easy it is to up caloric intake. If you track what you eat every day for a week or two you can figure out a good guesstimate of what your maintainance calories are. Maintainance means you don't lose or gain weight...if you gain a little you were slightly above maintanence if you lose you are below maintanance. .

there are also calculators that you can use based on your lbm mass but this seems to have been the best way for me. The caclulator i did had my maintanance cals at around 2800 after using fitday I have found it to be closer to 2500 cals a day