PDA

View Full Version : Eating/keeping energy up during a PL competition

redFury
06-18-2007, 01:15 PM
This is something I struggled with at my first meet last fall... keeping my energy (glycogen stores?) up for each attempt. Full power meets are long and each attempt drains you.

So... any thoughts on how to eat directly before (breakfast) and during the meet? I expect my meet to last from 9am to ~2pm... with squat, break, bench, break, and deadlift making up the schedule of events. (The breaks listed will be will other weight classes compete)

I've always been under the assumption that fluids, simple sugars, and some sort of protein would be in order. What do you all think??

deeder
06-18-2007, 01:26 PM
I say eat pretty much like you normally do. Trying something new on the day of the meet can mess with you.

Caffeine and plenty of electrolytes should help you keep your energy levels up.

WillKuenzel
06-18-2007, 01:27 PM
A very high carb dinner the night before. I really wouldn't eat a very big breakfast. I'd munch on stuff continuously through the day but have your biggest meal the night before. Pancakes, pasta, whatever. The day of, lots of simple sugars and gatorade or powerade. Powerbars and/or simple protein bars. Keep fats to a minimum and just continuously eat and sip on something. Don't try to pack it in. Have one of your handlers constantly handing you something to drink.

Adam
06-18-2007, 01:46 PM
If your not worried about making weight listen to Homie
If your bordering not making weight though just do a simple, carb breakfast, like a few pancakes or some toast. Once you make weight be sure to get your fluids in and maintain them throughout the day, as said above gatorade or something similar work great for the electrolytes(prevent cramping) and simple sugars.
During meet day I usually ended up eating whatever I saw that had carbs, definatly don't eat any greasy foods though as it doesn't sit well in the stomach.
Another thing to consider is that I have never been to a meet that wqas over in 5 hours. Once I was at one that was done in 6 hours but that was run perfect. Be prepared for at least an 8 hour day, just to be on the safe side.

redFury
06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
If your not worried about making weight listen to Homie
If your bordering not making weight though just do a simple, carb breakfast, like a few pancakes or some toast. Once you make weight be sure to get your fluids in and maintain them throughout the day, as said above gatorade or something similar work great for the electrolytes(prevent cramping) and simple sugars.
During meet day I usually ended up eating whatever I saw that had carbs, definatly don't eat any greasy foods though as it doesn't sit well in the stomach.
Another thing to consider is that I have never been to a meet that wqas over in 5 hours. Once I was at one that was done in 6 hours but that was run perfect. Be prepared for at least an 8 hour day, just to be on the safe side.

I'll weigh in the night before ~7pm... so I don't have to worry about my weight the next day. If you count the awards... I'm sure it will be closer to 8 hrs. However, I'm not concerned about that... I should be done lifting by 2-3 pm. Also, I'm not sure how they are doing the competition... there is pl, ironman and bp going down. The meet director has been considering separating each of these... so I might be done even sooner.

Chris Rodgers
06-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm with Homeyield. I don't like a huge breakfast before the meet. Big breakfast+nerves= trouble.

Guido
06-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I pretty much do what HomeYield said. I bring my own small cooler with gatorade, small snacks like fruit and nuts, etc. I pretty much just munch on stuff and drink non-stop. Just keep in mind the adrenaline plus all the liquids will make you have to urinate etc. more than usual. It's good to make sure your business is done before you need to start thinking about getting ready for your attempts (esp. for squat and deadlift, if you know what I mean ;)).

redFury
06-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the advice y'all!! I think I've got a good idea on what will work best now.