PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Question

WILLGETNICE
06-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Was checking out some other sites, one of them happened to be www.sixpacknow.com and I was reading the June Abs of the Month's tips about abdominal training and cardio. I came across this:

"When on the treadmill stay in the fat burning zone. DO NOT use high intensity, low... Low... Intensity is best more maximal fat burn use speeds ranging from 3.0mph-4.8mph. When ones heart rate gets too high his or her body will stop using fat for energy and begin to use a different energy system."

Just wondering how true this statement was. I've heard different things about HIIT and always thought that fast, short spurts of running were ideal for fat loss while training cardio (as well as the obvious diet part of things).

So is slow better? And if so for how long would one need to be on the treadmill for at the mentioned speed? Thanks.

Anthony
06-19-2007, 07:12 AM
They are partially correct in that high intensity will use a higher percentage of glucose for energy.

However (and it's a big giant HOWEVER) ....

Once you stop, your body spends an enormous amount of energy recovering from the oxygen debt it created. And guess what the primary energy source is during this period? You got it ... fat.

Look at it like this - do you build muscle during a weight lifting workout or after? Obviously after. So do you look at the 1 hour workout period or do you look at the 1-4 days afterwards to determine whether weight lifting is an effective muscle builder? Again, obvious answer.

The same applies to high intensity intervals - look at the big picture, not a 1 hour window.

Chubrock
06-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Heh, what would you know Anthony? You're just a midget haha.