PDA

View Full Version : What Are Good Office/Cubicle Snacks?

-Superman-
06-19-2007, 10:23 AM
I want to stock up on snacks in my cubicle at the office with foods that will help build muscle and that are healthy. I also prefer that they be non-refridgerated since the refridgerator is so far away.

Here is what I have got so far or plan to get:

-Shredded Wheat Bars
-Peanut Butter Crackers (the packs of 6)
-Slim Jim

I am thinking of finding:

-The tuna/chicken & chip snack packs
-Can of peanuts

Can you guys give me ideas? Keep in mind I prefer they don't require refrideration and I also don't have a can opener. Thanks. :D

Unholy
06-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Nuts are great, trail mix is great, hope made protein bars.

Keith
06-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Nuts, hard boiled egg whites, cottage cheese, tuna.. there's a ton but that's what comes to mind right now.

Unreal
06-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Nuts, jerky, nitrean, fruit, veggies, etc.

Those peanut butter crackers are normally loaded with trans fat and junk.
Slim jims are crap. Bring a small lunch box or cooler with an ice pack in it and bring cottage cheese, sandwhichs, etc.

manowar669
06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Cooked meat (chicken, beef, lean meatballs, etc). Just wrap it in foil, eat at room temp. Lowfat string cheese.
How about a sandwich?

-Superman-
06-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Nuts, jerky, nitrean, fruit, veggies, etc.

Those peanut butter crackers are normally loaded with trans fat and junk.
Slim jims are crap. Bring a small lunch box or cooler with an ice pack in it and bring cottage cheese, sandwhichs, etc.

Are you for real? I bought 4 boxes of peanut butter crackers. I saw they had good protein for how much I needed to eat. Each box has 8 packs of 6 crackers. That's 192 crackers! I also bought 2 cans of slim jims. Man. I need to buy a lunch box then. :(

shootermcgavin7
06-19-2007, 11:32 AM
I keep a jug of Opticen on my desk.

Mr. D
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
PB crackers are poor source of protein. They may have some, but I would count it as a carb,fat source not a protein source.

ww bread and fresh pb would be better choice, u can keep both in your desk. down a protein shake with it and you are good to go.

Guido
06-19-2007, 12:09 PM
I work in an office/cube, and I usually bring unsalted peanuts/cashews/walnuts, low fat string cheese, fruit leather or raw fruit, baby carrots, etc. I also have use of a fridge right across from my office so I usually bring yogurt and something to drink, too.

Paul Stagg
06-19-2007, 12:10 PM
The refrigerator is too far away?

Are you serious? Really? Are you?

Get a small cooler. Load it with meat, veggies, and fruit. This isn't all that complicated.

Mr. D
06-19-2007, 12:24 PM
and if the fridge is too far away, bring a cooler.

-Superman-
06-19-2007, 12:24 PM
The refrigerator is too far away?

Are you serious? Really? Are you?

Get a small cooler. Load it with meat, veggies, and fruit. This isn't all that complicated.

Well the refridgerator is on the other side of the hall. I have to walk across the bridge and it is probably 200 feet away or something. I asked about bringing in a small portable fridge but the company won't let me. They say it is an electrical hazard. I am probably going to get a cooler and start buying meat and fruitcup to eat during the day. I gotta finish off these slim jims and peanut butter crackers first though. I wish there was a bar that I could buy that has everything I need and just eat that. I don't mean the protein bars either. I had those and they had way too much chocolate. I wish I sat next to the refridgerator. :(

manowar669
06-19-2007, 12:41 PM
A lot of stuff really doesn't need to be refrigerated. Cooked meat is fine if covered. Cooked eggs. Fruits. veggies. Hard cheese. All are fine at room temp if eaten in a day or two (or longer).

Rock Steady
06-19-2007, 01:07 PM
I asked about bringing in a small portable fridge but the company won't let me. They say it is an electrical hazard.

That's bull. Mine (a Kenmore) is under 100 watts. I got a hard time for it at first and then pointed out that the woman next to me has a freak'n HEATER.

People are dumb. Find out who ultimately decides these things and have an intelligent conversation with them. Having my own fridge has been huge for my gains.

-Superman-
06-19-2007, 01:53 PM
That's bull. Mine (a Kenmore) is under 100 watts. I got a hard time for it at first and then pointed out that the woman next to me has a freak'n HEATER.

People are dumb. Find out who ultimately decides these things and have an intelligent conversation with them. Having my own fridge has been huge for my gains.

I thought about the fridge again last week when I talked to another worker and saw under his cube was a fan! I was thinking wtf? The fridge I wanted to bring in would be small and just hold milk, some meats, and maybe cold fruit. I know if I had access to milk, I could certainly drink it throughout the day consistently and make huge gains. My job is boring and eating is what I should be doing! :D

Alex.V
06-19-2007, 02:13 PM
During the day I snack on peanuts, chocolate, starbucks biscotti, maybe the occasional yogurt. It's shocking, but somehow I have managed to avoid fading away.

greekboy80
06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
A lot of stuff really doesn't need to be refrigerated. Cooked meat is fine if covered. Cooked eggs. Fruits. veggies. Hard cheese. All are fine at room temp if eaten in a day or two (or longer).

Whoa! Not so sure if I would eat any meat or dairy product un-refrigerated after about 4-5 hours.

Certainly not after a day!!!!!

-Superman-
06-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Whoa! Not so sure if I would eat any meat or dairy product un-refrigerated after about 4-5 hours.

Certainly not after a day!!!!!

Me neither. Just thinking about eating a piece of chicken after on the table for a day makes me sick. :D

phatmike
06-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Seriously, if getting a fridge is causing you an issue, then bring a cooler into work every day. I bring in a cooler even though the fridge is 20 feet from my desk.

As far as your original question, I have the following on a shelf here in my office:
Oatmeal, nitrean, opticen, couple cans of vegetables, couple cans of fruit, tins of tuna, loaf of whole wheat bread, pistachios, tin of mixed nuts, beef jerkey and a bottle of olive oil.

jamrock
06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I make a bag (20lb bag) of breasts, so weekly its the same flavor, though I tend to alternate between only a couple of marinades.. I have a microwave at work, a wet paper towel and two minutes and I have a baked potato, I like em with just olive oil, salt and pepper. That is as many meals as I can stomach.. Some shakes, egg whites, nuts, fruits, 2gal of water.. I just keep my house stocked and prepare something for the next day when im doing my post dinner clean up so its just grab my cooler and my keys out of the fridge (so i dont forget).

don't over think it.

btw, nitrean is good with just water, except you need to double the serving so its not so bleh.. it thickens up enough that it feels like there is milk in there.

Unreal
06-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Make your own protein bars. There are recipes posted on here that work great.

Check the ingredients of your PB crackers and stuff. If it has transfat and hydrogenated oil listed I rather throw it away then eat it, but that is me.

-Superman-
06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Make your own protein bars. There are recipes posted on here that work great.

Check the ingredients of your PB crackers and stuff. If it has transfat and hydrogenated oil listed I rather throw it away then eat it, but that is me.

Man I wish you could just get protein in an easier way. This morning I puked before going to work while I was eating tuna out of the can. It was totally nasty. But I manned up and ate the mandarin oranges and drank the bottle of water. It is a nasty breakfast but tuna has worked for me in the past. :D

Alex.V
06-19-2007, 09:56 PM

Well, that's because you're bloody ****ing psychotic. :)

Unreal
06-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, that's because you're bloody ****ing psychotic. :)

True. I even bought 2 huge jars of Jiffy Natural that has sugar listed as the second ingredient. I'm going to hell for that. It was crunchy so I didn't have a choice.

Alex.V
06-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm going to hell for that. It was crunchy so I didn't have a choice.

Sinner. Corrupted by the crunchy peanut butter.

stepto180
06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
I just keep my house stocked and prepare something for the next day when im doing my post dinner clean up so its just grab my cooler and my keys out of the fridge (so i dont forget).

there.

keys in the fridge??? nice I do some intresting things to help me remeber thing but this is a first

Optimum08
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
keys in the fridge is awesome.

ddegroff
06-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Nuts are great, trail mix is great, hope made protein bars.

Never heard of these, are they good. lol:p

These above are what I would focus on. All I would add is natty pb.