PDA

View Full Version : Post-workout nutrition - need some help please

espn2829
06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Usually, when I have whey protein available, like ON Gold Standard, I mix it with milk and drink it after working out. I also eat other things like bagels with cream cheese and stuff like that. I am assuming this might not be the healthiest stuff to eat immediately after working out.

Also, lately my workouts have been more intense than prior workouts, so my appetite isn't quite as strong after working out. I usually don't feel like eating nothing after a while. How long is it acceptable for a person to go without eating after working out?

I also do not really know how much calories are burned working out and doing other activities. I'm trying to eat a lot to gain muscle mass but it is difficult.

jamrock
06-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Usually, when I have whey protein available, like ON Gold Standard, I mix it with milk and drink it after working out. I also eat other things like bagels with cream cheese and stuff like that. I am assuming this might not be the healthiest stuff to eat immediately after working out.

Also, lately my workouts have been more intense than prior workouts, so my appetite isn't quite as strong after working out. I usually don't feel like eating nothing after a while. How long is it acceptable for a person to go without eating after working out?

I also do not really know how much calories are burned working out and doing other activities. I'm trying to eat a lot to gain muscle mass but it is difficult.

You want to cut the fat out of a post work out meal so the protein and glucose is used faster. You should be eating within the hour after your workout, some say an hour is too long. That lets me get showered and on the way to work before I eat a meal...can't get fired because I wanted to get big.

Keep track of your calories, and weight yourself weekly. See how much it takes for you to go up... If you were to stop working out you would grow faster.. Lots of Stickies to read here..

Mr. D
06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
I would suggest taking 1g/lbm(kg) in carbs and 1/3 of that in protein.I would use both milk and whey or a blend like nitrean.

About an hour after that eat another solid protein/carb meal (minimal fat is ok).

Usually the more intense my workout, the hungrier I get.

Dont worry neccesarriy about calories burned, just worry about eating enough food that you gain mass each week. There is really no fullproof way to measure how many cals a day you burn. The factor you can control the most is eating more. If you do increase your activity level over a period of time, then of course you will have to eat more to compensate.