PDA

View Full Version : UGH, the more I read the more I'm confused!

arya202
06-20-2007, 02:08 PM
I keep reading all these articles from Built and just searching the forums and I just keep getting confused, what exactly should I eat before a workout, during a workout, and after a workout ratios and everything included.

Mr. D
06-20-2007, 02:15 PM
What specifically are you confused about?

Eat carbs/pro before a WO. eat carbs/pro after a wo. Sip a carb drink during WO if your macros/calories allow.

The rest of the day fill up your macros and calories as required.

arya202
06-20-2007, 02:23 PM
What specifically are you confused about?

Eat carbs/pro before a WO. eat carbs/pro after a wo. Sip a carb drink during WO if your macros/calories allow.

The rest of the day fill up your macros and calories as required.

So milk can be used in these shakes as long as it's non fat milk right? And during the workout that drink should just be carbs no protien? So just dextrose and water?

And are the carbs in the preworkout drink supposed to be complex or are they just dextrose like the other 2?

Also how long before and how long after to you drink the shakes?

Unreal
06-20-2007, 02:54 PM
In the end it doesn't make a huge difference. Try different things and see what works for you and what makes you happy and comfortable. There is no reason to stress over this unless your going pro.

Chubrock
06-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I agree. I can't remember the last time I prepared any kind of Pre or Post Workout meal. I eat a little bit before I train and I eat something afterwards. Don't really care what it is as long as I get some kind of meat.

Alex.V
06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Chubrock, Unreal... Thank you guys.

I think I just shed a tear.

Keith
06-20-2007, 03:05 PM
I drink the same thing before and after a workout, maltodextrin/whey. Nothing during because it leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I actually don't drink anything before doing high rep squats either. Not a huge deal and nothing to stress over. If you can afford to drink a shake prior to your workout, go for it, if not, don't stress it.

Unreal
06-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Tears mixed with nitrean make a good PWO shake.

Today I had a candy bar about 2 hours before working out as a pre workout meal. Once I got home I ate a salad with feta cheese, italian dressing and a chicken breast I grilled at lunch. It was tasty.

Chubrock
06-21-2007, 06:40 AM

Lean on me, when you're not strong, and I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on....

philou123
06-21-2007, 10:55 PM
I keep reading all these articles from Built and just searching the forums and I just keep getting confused, what exactly should I eat before a workout, during a workout, and after a workout ratios and everything included.

Despite what the other guys are saying, I think it actually makes quite a bit of a difference to be careful with what you eat before and after. I know if I have a good healthy meal about an hour before a workout, with complex carbs + some protein and water, I feel a lot better in the gym and usually end up lifting heavier. Anyways that's just me, but I find that it helps me to try and have:

Before: About 60grams complex carbs,20-30 grams protein, some water or green tea.
During: Just about 1 to 1,5L of water
After: Usually about 500ml grape juice (60grams carbs)+ 1 scoot Nitrea mixed with water (21grams protein).

If you're willing to do a little planning, I think it can help you.

Chubrock
06-25-2007, 07:00 AM
If you're willing to do a little planning, I think it can help you.

It's really not a matter of not planning. It's more of the fact that these little things aren't going to matter unless you're at an extremely low bf % and dieting down for competition or something that requires the same level of leanness. Most people give themselves too many unneeded headaches worrying about such little stuff.

ddegroff
06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I do ground oats/whey before and after. It works out to be 40g PRO/25g CHO. I'm pretty sure that those ratio's don't match what most say. I do it because it's easy to get in my tight schedule. If i don't have to do anything before my workout i'll just eat a normal meal.

It really doesn't matter all that much in the end.