PDA

View Full Version : First Fight a month away

Jinkies
06-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Im entering a MMA tournament hosted at the gym I train at, im really excited at the opportunity to gain some experience but it goes without saying that there will be alot more talented people with more training behind them in the heavyweight class.

Anyone have any good prefight tips and training schemes that I can start incorporating so I can give a good show if it goes past the first round, my goal is to avoid the ground; anyone can throw a lucky punch and win but it is all experience and technique on the ground. I got another friend whose going to compete at the 155 class and i'd like to have some advice that I can share with him so we don't walk in clueless

Unholy
06-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I would sign up on that sherdog MMA message board bro!

Jinkies
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Never heard of it, can u post a link?

Unholy
06-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Guess they don't have google in your part of the country.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/

Detard
06-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Good luck with the fight. Make sure you train hard from now until then. If your ground game is your weakness, make sure your really drilling and practicing.

iver
06-21-2007, 09:04 AM
are u talking boxing or wat?

Unholy
06-21-2007, 09:06 AM
He said MMA - Mixed Martial Arts.

CarlP
06-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Kick to the groin? Seriously, you may just have to learn from the experience of an actual fight. Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug. You may find what works or you may learn from mistakes.

ValleyFR
06-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Train hard and stay focused i guess. When the day before comes, just do light stuff and get lots of rest. But it will be fun! enjoy the experience.

Jinkies
06-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah im not really expecting to win but hoping to leave a good mark, i'm still very new to the sport and need a few more years under my belt to call myself anything but a beginner.

I just would like to be able to peak at the time of the fight, its a tournament so If I win I will probably end up fighting 2-3 different people. My nerves have already been getting to me cause the anticipation but hopefully I can not make a fool out of myself.

Sensei
06-22-2007, 11:03 PM
How long have you been training for this Jinkies?

KingJustin
06-23-2007, 06:46 AM
i think you should enter one of those tough man contests or something instead

Hellrazor
06-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Jinkies you can start by getting the negative thoughts out of your head. If you`re saying you`re not really expecting to win you have lost before you even get in there. Mental toughness is a huge part of mma and if you`re not ready for it mentally then dont even bother getting in there.

I`m guessing your a boxer / kickboxer seeing as though you want to avoid the ground. If you can, get yourself to some wrestling classes and drill takedown defences, sprawls, underhooks etc... If your wrestling defence isnt up to much then you`re probably gonna get taken down and submitted / GnPd pretty damn quickly.

It sounds to me like you are nowhere near ready to fight MMA, as someone else said do some toughman contests or stick to stand up fighting for a while. While gaining experience you can be working on your wrestling and BJJ so that it`s up to scratch when you step into the cage. If it`s not you`re gonna look pretty stupid when you`re getting your face elbowed off cos you dont know any mount / side control escapes.

I`m assuming its a day before weigh in ? Best tip I can give is to make sure you are fully re-hydrated after weigh ins, sipping water up until the fight, make sure you eat plenty of low GI carbs too such as porridge, rye bread etc... Embrace the nervousness you get before the fight it WILL help trust me, I have always performed best when I have been literally shaking before getting in ! lol

If you do decide to go ahead with it then good luck, and hope you enjoy it.

Hellrazor
06-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Just realised you have a month until the fight.

How is your cardio ? Please do not make the mistake of going in there any less than super fit !! I made that mistake once and looked like an idiot. Make sure you do a lot of sprint work, hill runs, plyometrics, endurance weight training etc ... I have seen technically excellent fighters wilt after a few minutes and look like amateurs in the 2nd round.

If you`re technique isnt the greatest than at least make sure your cardio is VERY good. Thats the best tip I can give you.

Kyolked
06-23-2007, 12:45 PM
"everyone has a plan 'till they get hit in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson

I know everyone has to start somehwere, but jumiping into MMA w/o previous standup fighting is like skydiving and landing in the ocean without knowing how to skydive nor knowing how to swim.

Sensei
06-23-2007, 02:43 PM
"everyone has a plan 'till they get hit in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson

I know everyone has to start somehwere, but jumiping into MMA w/o previous standup fighting is like skydiving and landing in the ocean without knowing how to skydive nor knowing how to swim.Yea, I was trying to hint at that... Jinkies, I'm not trying to discourage you from fighting at all, but not properly preparing and entering an MMA fight spur of the moment is a really bad move IMHO...

Jinkies
06-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I have 4 months of training behind me, 3 months of bjj/mma training and a month of pure boxing working with some of the best you can find in my area.

I also have 2 years of wrestling experience from jr high and a large record of unoffical fights :). I really wasn't planning on entering but many people from my gym urged me to give it a try for the experience, worse comes to worse I tap out and no one gives me **** cause im still a beginner. I'm in no way a boxer and I only train muay is so I can learn how to block the kicks, its just that going to ground with more experienced grapplers is very foolish and if probably stand a better shot scoring points on my feet although I love ground and pound.

Im not worried about making weight, im heavyweight so it doesn't really matter and as for conditioning in a month I should be able to last 3 5 minute rounds if I play it smooth and use my bodyweight effectively.

Im glad for yalls enthusiasm towards my safety but please just answer my questions and leave it be.

Sensei
06-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Im glad for yalls enthusiasm towards my safety but please just answer my questions and leave it be.
How long are you going to be at message boards before you realize that if post, you're going to get replies and a lot of them may or may not be what you want to hear?

Chubrock
06-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Anyone have any good prefight tips and training schemes that I can start incorporating so I can give a good show if it goes past the first round, my goal is to avoid the ground; anyone can throw a lucky punch and win but it is all experience and technique on the ground.

Here's my tips:

1. Start running and sprinting now and don't stop until the day of the fight.

2. If you've had 3 months of BJJ, pull guard. If you can't grapple and have no takedown defense you're going to end up mounted very quickly.

ValleyFR
06-24-2007, 07:44 PM
land that hook or uppercut early, and dont be greedy, keep the combos low. If you get to the ground, feel the change in your opponents body instead of trying to force it. If you have wrestled in high school, then you know what i mean by feel the change.

GroundControl
06-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Jinkies if you wanna fight a match, go ahead and do it man, their is no experience like a real match.

Kyolked
06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Jinkies if you wanna fight a match, go ahead and do it man, their is no experience like a real match.

I agree. I just wasn't sure of your experience fighting. But you have to start somewhere. Good luck, let us know how bad you beat the other guy.

KingJustin
06-26-2007, 10:43 AM
If your goal is simply to win this next fight, then I recommend doing a ton of conditioning work. Do mostly CrossFit metcon type stuff as well as MMA-style conditioning (lots of jump rope, sprawl/shoot/left/right/hook drills, rounds on the bag, etc).

Also, learn to do these 10 things well and you should have a shot...
Jab
Right
Hook
Uppercut
Sprawl
Parry/Counter
Get really good at one judo throw
Learn to pull/hold/(one) escape from guard
Learn how to get out of the clinch
Learn how to block kicks

If you can do each of those 10 things reasonably well, then you can win a match. I think your best bet though is going to be to take the fight to the ground and just hit the other guy in the face with your elbows a lot.

CarlP
06-26-2007, 02:09 PM
After all this advice, tell us how you do in the fight.

ValleyFR
06-30-2007, 11:30 PM
hell yeah man, i think all of us want to know! and get some videos! win or loose, its still a step to getting better.

Jinkies
07-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Yeah, im training pretty hard but I know my conditoning is going to be a factor.

The competition got moved to the 24th so I have a little extra time and i'm going to start hitting the cardio like a monster and work the ground game, last night I spent an hour workin with 2 state ranked wrestlers showing me some defense. I will keep yall posted

nddillon
07-05-2007, 05:55 AM
So how's the progress kid?

Detard
07-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Make sure you film it.

Jinkies
07-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Training is going pretty good but I had to sit a week out of grappling training because lastweekend I spent an hour working with 2 state qualified wrestlers I know and got really bad rugburn on my elbows,knees, and face but I learn alot about body control.

Hopefully the neosporin will help the healing process and im good to go, anyone have any similar injuries when wrestling?

Chubrock
07-05-2007, 12:19 PM
When you start seriously grappling, you're going to get torn apart. I don't remember too many sessions in which the skin wasn't ripped off my knees or tops of the feet.

Jinkies
07-05-2007, 07:00 PM
When you start seriously grappling, you're going to get torn apart. I don't remember too many sessions in which the skin wasn't ripped off my knees or tops of the feet.

Yeah the tops of the feet take a real banging when working on sprawling but I tore my elbows up wrestling on carpet and till they heal i can't train at my gym because staph is going around and they don't want to risk anything

nhlfan
07-05-2007, 07:12 PM
maybe some kind of padding or long sleeve shirts could be used?

good luck jinx

Detard
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Long johns and underarmour or a longsleeve rash guard for the time being?

OceanFit
07-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Best advice I've herd was this

"smash them all and ask questions about yourself later"

You are going to be thinking a lot of crazy stuff between now and the fight. Just take a deep breath, and relax. Just go out there and do what you do. Win, lose, or draw, it will be over before you know it.

OceanFit
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah the tops of the feet take a real banging when working on sprawling but I tore my elbows up wrestling on carpet and till they heal i can't train at my gym because staph is going around and they don't want to risk anything

haha, when were you wrestling on carpet?

Staph is no joke, probably a good idea

Jinkies
07-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Fights pretty much cancled.

Tried to get certified for my amature card but i'm only 17 so it was rejected until I turn 18 and apply again.

I got a year to train and I plan on taking all my frustration on the first guy who gets put up against me.

But I really am bummed out about the whole thing, but now I can be a better corner to my friends when they fight.

Paul Stagg
07-18-2007, 05:51 AM
That could be one of the best things that's ever happened to you.

Chubrock
07-18-2007, 07:06 AM
I'd have to agree with Mr. Stagg.

Jinkies
07-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I can understand why yall say that but I was just hoping to get my first one done so i could have a basis for training and have a better feeling of what I'd be going against.t

Despite that though its rules are set and I'm at their mercy

Mission
07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
You may not want to hear this, but you're going to have really emphasize running in your training. Even if it means giving up some size, I guarentee that if you don't have good lungs, you'll be sucking wind pretty fast. Start running 2 miles every day, and then work your way up from there.

ThomasG
07-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Watch rocky and get inspired

OceanFit
08-02-2007, 08:06 AM
shibby, all that fus and stress to get canceled!

Jinkies
08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah it really is a shame but I took advantage of the anger and helped it fuel my cut down, i've dropped close to 15 pounds already in a few short weeks.

I'm sure majority is water but im satisfied with my preformance, my cardio has already improved and my reflex time is almost doubled

OceanFit
08-02-2007, 10:23 AM
maybe try a grappling tourney or some Jr. boxing if you really want to compete?

nddillon
08-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Was it internally sanctioned? Internally sanctioned events get by with not having full insurance with waivers (hence the 18 limit). If you really want event experience, find a state sanctioned event and apply...most will allow 16+ yr olds to get their ama mma card after a ridiculous application and interview. But if you want experience in the ring with out the hassle, throw on some head gear, make up a "sudden death" word, get 2 people you trust as refs and go at it! Much safer than it sounds and alot less tense. No offense, you need some good half ass beating before you attempt to take a real one in the ring.

Mission
08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah it really is a shame but I took advantage of the anger and helped it fuel my cut down, i've dropped close to 15 pounds already in a few short weeks.

I'm sure majority is water but im satisfied with my preformance, my cardio has already improved and my reflex time is almost doubled

Why are trying to lose weight? I'd think a guy with your size would have an advantage that you wouldn't wanna get rid of; just run up and pummel your opponent in the first round for a KO.

Look at videos of Bob Sapp. His sheer girth is just too much for a lot of opponents.

nddillon
08-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Sapp is a Heavyweight...do you know how mma works???

Mission
08-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Sapp is a Heavyweight...do you know how mma works???

Jinkies has already said he'd be fighting as a heavyweight too.