PDA

View Full Version : Getting tired on the court too quickly...

Paladyr
06-20-2007, 07:34 PM
I had a rough start this beach vball season but I started bulking and doing my leg routine (WBB1) and that got my vertical back up and I started playing fantastic. Now I'm at the point though where I get winded too quickly, I can't play in tournaments. I thought about just doing some cardio work like running or using the elliptical machine but I'm not sure that's the best way to improve my endurance on the court.

So basically my question is what should I do? Should I do some sprinting or high intensity training and keep my heart rate in my target zone? Should I just try to play more volleyball??? vball is a lot of short sprinting and jumping so I imagine my training should concentrate on that right? How long should the sessions last?

During the next session I'll be playing on Tuesday and Friday nights (Friday will be an easier game, Tuesday is doubles which is more strenuous). I seemed to do well if I did WBB1 legs two days before my game so I'm thinking I'll keep that on Sunday.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. - My legs don't even feel tired after a game, the problem is I just get so out of breath that it's hard to get the energy to jump. If we take a timeout or something and I catch my breath, the next play I can jump normally. I'm not sure if that tells you anything.

ddegroff
06-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Search for HIIT training.

Personally I would so sprints in the sand because that's where your game is played.

Kyolked
06-24-2007, 11:56 PM
HIIT is good stuff, but your game will improve greatly if you swim. I can't tell you how much better I have become at every single sport because of swimming, because you wouldn't believe it. Give it a try for a week, and you will see results. I'm talking 20 laps a day and then focus on underwater work (so your body maximizes the use of oxygen ie. making the oxygen you pull in more efficent)

Sensei
06-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Training is all-important, but are you eating well and sleeping enough?

HIIT is good stuff, but your game will improve greatly if you swim. I can't tell you how much better I have become at every single sport because of swimming, because you wouldn't believe it. Give it a try for a week, and you will see results. I'm talking 20 laps a day and then focus on underwater work (so your body maximizes the use of oxygen ie. making the oxygen you pull in more efficent)
Swimming helps your breath in other sports because of breath-control, not because your lungs become any more efficient than with other sports.

Studies have been done about true-hypoxic training (i.e. altitude training) vs. "holding your breath" training (for example, breathing every 6 strokes or limiting breaths/given distance, and the results are clear that "holding your breath" just helps breath control.

Kyolked
06-26-2007, 04:51 PM
oh my bad.

Paladyr
06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Okay so I played doubles last night and didn't get winded at all. The difference between the games where I get winded, and the games I can play forever without getting tired is HEAT!!!! It's the early games when I have to play in 90+ weather that I get exhausted quickly. What can I do to prevent this or play better in the heat? Should I train outside with sweatpants/sweatshirt on???

I am getting about 7 hours of sleep any time I play so I don't think that's a factor (newborn has me up early). Eating I think I'm doing all right. I make sure I have some good carbs the night before (pasta or whatever) and then as game time gets closer I eat less protein and fat and more carbs, stopping all meals around 3 hours before game time. At that point I just keep drinking water. I did that last night and played great without getting winded.