PDA

View Full Version : Sucralose, can you buy it without the added malto/dextrose?

manowar669
06-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Just wondering, since splenda actually has dextrose and maltodextrin in it, it does have calories and I presume it can/will produce an insulin response if enough is taken (like in "sugar free" desserts). I imagine sucralose alone would still be sweet, but without the sugars.

dscarth
06-23-2007, 05:17 PM
I believe that is added as a bulking agent, no insulin response reports on pubmed or google that I could find, but maybe I'm an idiot.

As far as I know, splenda has no insulin response.

Vapour Trails
06-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Just wondering, since splenda actually has dextrose and maltodextrin in it, it does have calories and I presume it can/will produce an insulin response if enough is taken (like in "sugar free" desserts). I imagine sucralose alone would still be sweet, but without the sugars.

The amount of carbs is insignificant.

manowar669
06-25-2007, 11:58 AM
The amount of carbs is insignificant.
1 tsp = 0.5 gm carb = 2 calories
one half cup = 12 gm carb = 48 calories
1 cup = 24 gm carb = 96 calories

Maybe not significant, but there. I suppose if there isn't an insulin response, it's not real important, except for the calories.

dbpaddler
06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
considering that teaspoon for teaspoon it's quite a bit sweeter than sugar, you should not be using a half cup or full cup for anything other than baking or making large quantities of something. And personally, I'd watch the intake if you are worried about getting that many carbs (or just worried about insulin response) from taking that much sucralose. From personal experience, too much of it did not agree with my digestive system. It might be made from sugar, but start chemically altering anything natural and it can have a side affect on your system. I get peeved actually that many manufacturers don't have options that don't have sucralose in it. You alienate people that can't use it and not everyone has to count every bit of sugar in their diet.

Also, if you want to look at sugar alternatives without the carbs, check out stevia. It is all natural with no calories or carbs. Quality and taste vary from manufacturer, but you can experiment to find a brand you like. I use steviaclear. It's a liquid in a dropper bottle. I get it from vitamin shoppe. I can't link it, but you can go to their site and search for stevia and find it. Also, google search on stevia and you can read a ton of info on it.

I like the flavor of steviaclear, and two half droppers worth is more than enough to sweeten a 32oz iced tea to my liking. Good for sweetening oatmeal and such too.