PDA

View Full Version : Is there a really cheap steak out there?

theVict1m
06-21-2007, 07:31 PM
After months and months and months of drinking weightgain shakes, I'm officially sick of them. Or at least I'm going to cut back to one a day, a 1000 calorie one...maybe the new Maximus.

So I'm looking for another quick, inexpensive way to get a ****load of calories...like 1,000. Then I got to thinking, isn't a slab of steak like 1,000 calories? Why not just eat one of those everyday? That and one of my shakes would be over 2,000 calories. Is there any cheap steaks? Wouldn't that be cheaper than the homemade shake route?

RedSpikeyThing
06-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Flank steak is pretty cheap. It has to be slow cooked or marinaded for a long time, but it comes out really good if you do it right.

phatmike
06-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I know you asked about steak, but since you are looking for cheap calorie dense foods, you could also look at:

Peanut butter
Full fat cheeses
Whole milk
Olive Oil
Ice Cream
Hamburgers
Nuts

Relentless
06-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Here's a guideline I've used myself and have found useful:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/01/19/making-the-most-of-cheap-cuts-of-beef/

My local grocery store has what I call "the discount meat bin"... a freezer at one end of the meat section where they have the sale meat of the week. often you can find pork/beef/chicken there for a VERY reasonable price.

Personally, my favourite way to use inexpensive meat is to use my crock pot (aka slow cooker). You can buy the cheapest meat you want and chop it into cubes, then put some onions, garlic, spices, etc. into the pot along with soup stock (good) or beer (better) and let it cook overnight or all day when you're at work. I did a cheap pork roast in there the other day that I left going for about 24 hours. By the end, the roast simply fell apart into ribbons of tender, juicy meat.

Cheap as hell, too.

theVict1m
06-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Mmm, sounds good Relentless. I'll try that.

How many calories is one flank steak...RedSpikeyThing?

Aren't boneless, skinless chicken breasts really cheap? I forgot about them. If I have like 2 of them a day that's an easy 1,000 calories isn't it?

whiteman90909
06-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Aren't boneless, skinless chicken breasts really cheap? I forgot about them. If I have like 2 of them a day that's an easy 1,000 calories isn't it?

We pay $10-12 for a 6.5 lb bag of chicken breasts... maybe 15-20 breasts, but I've never really counted. However, the breasts are probly closer to around 200 cals each-- not 500. Skinless chicken breasts really aren't all that calorie dense, but they're cheap, and can be seasoned any way, and cooked any way, making them extremley versatile.

theVict1m
06-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Is there any one food someone can buy that's like 1,000 calories in one serving that I can this in bulk? That's why I mentioned steak because I assumed it was 1,000 calories in one steak.

bjohnso
06-23-2007, 12:40 PM
1,000 Cal of steak is a LOT of food. Your jaw will be so tired from chewing all that stuff. Phatmike had some good suggestions.

On the other hand, if you Relentless said with the crock pot then 1,000 Cal of meat may not be so hard to swallow (pun intended). I've got to get one of those.

Hatred
06-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Eye round,or just George up some ground beef.
Melts most of the fat out and easy to chew. And cheap.

Chris686
06-25-2007, 01:48 PM
2 glasses of whole milk (16oz) = 300 cals
4 eggs + 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil = 400 cals
2 tablespoons of PB = 190 cals

That's a pretty easy meal to eat and almost 1k right there.

I had some turkey pastrami this morning too... yum. I was surprised at how much protein was in the stuff.. I was expecting high fat, little protein, but it's not super cheap meat either.

There's a million different things you can do. Steak's not too cheap IMO.

If I'm ever low on calories I eat:
Cashews
Peanut butter
Whole milk..

Well, basically everything phat mike said with the exception of ice cream and hamburgers.

RedSpikeyThing
06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
How many calories is one flank steak...RedSpikeyThing?

It depends on the specific type of steak, but fitday says "Beef, flank, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, choice, raw" is 816 calories per pound. Have a potato on the side with some butter and a glass of milk = 1k calories.

I don't find chicken breasts cheap at all. I like variety anyways, so I buy lots of different things.