PDA

View Full Version : Plyometrics?

GuitarGuyBMG
06-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Have any of yall done plyometrics? I used to do them and I had a considerable increase in my squat and verticle jump. Does anyone here use plyometrics as a regular part of their workout routine?

TommyBoy
06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
I love plyometrics! Too bad I'm too damn lazy to do them.

GuitarGuyBMG
06-21-2007, 08:13 PM
So they are worth the time to put into my workout schedule?

LouPac
06-21-2007, 11:28 PM
So they are worth the time to put into my workout schedule?

It depends on what your goals are and if you have any back, knee, ankle problems.

teenathlete3030
06-22-2007, 08:04 AM
There's a time for a lot of things in a workout routine. If you're in athletics of any kind, plyos will help a great deal.

For example this spring I had a running vertical of about 31" or so coming off injury. I started lifting, but that quickly was drowned out because of all the track practice. My body just couldn't take all the extra volume. In other words, 90% of my training was plyometric in nature. The end result was my running vert going to 34" and my power clean going up 20lb, despite not even doing it all that much.

Now I've had time to incorporate lifting again in combination with plyos, my running vert has gone up to 36". Like I said there is a time for plyos just like there is a time for lifting. You just need to know what your body needs.

CosmicForce
06-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I used to. I love box jumps, vertical jumps, jumps squats, broad jumps. Unfortunately I don't have anything in my apartment to jump off of higher than 30" I did them on lifting days later in the evening. I used to do 10x10 off of my window watchamacallit for cardio.

Paladyr
06-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I do them for brief periods of time because my legs are already full of fast twitch muscle fibers. I see a bigger increase in my vert by working on getting my overall leg strength up. That's something that will vary by person. If you can already squat 2x your body weight, then you would probably benefit more from doing plyo's than strength training.