PDA

View Full Version : Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

Lumiel
06-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I finally decided to go ahead and start a journal to track my progress in weightlifting. I've decided to start a "Baby Got Back (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/baby-got-back/)" (BGB) routine after I was advised that my routine had too many exercises and that I was likely over working certain body parts to the detriment of others.

Here's a little backstory. I have scoliosis (about a 19% S curve) and have always been plagued with back pain or stiffness. Now that I'm in my thirties I wanted to take care of future potential back problems by getting stronger and building more muscle.

I also have one of those body frames where I can either be a big muscle guy or a big fat guy... and most of my life I've been the big fat guy... so I'm turning that around.

I've been lifting for two months now and thus far have dropped my cholesterol 23 points (to the surprise of my physician), I've gained 6 pounds, improved the strength and build in my body over all, but now I'm going to start tracking my progress with photos and stats.

Height: 6'
Starting weight: 215

Here's the routine I'm planning on doing:

Day 1
Deadlifts (5x5)
Low Cable Rows (3x8)
BB Bench Press (5x5)
Incline DB Flyes (3x8)
Calf Raises (3x8) - don't need much work
Decline Crunches (3x10)

Day 2
Back Squats (5x5)
Leg Curls (3x10)
Leg Press (3x8)
BB Bicep Curl (5x5)
Hammer Curls (3x8)

Day 3
Rest

Day 4
Chin Ups (5x5)
Lat Pull Downs (3x8)
Military Press (5x5)
Standing Side DB raises (3x8)
Standing Calf Raises (3x8)
Decline Crunches (3x10)

Day 5
Romanian Deadlifts (5x5)
Leg Extension (3x8)
Goodmornings (3x8)
Dips (5x5)
Skull Crushers (3x8)

Day 6
Rest

Day 7
Rest

My goal currently is just to build muscle, get my upper body nice and strong, get my lower body fit (I already have big legs and calves, don't really need to build much muscle there, just get fit) and once I have enough muscle, start cutting the fat off the top.

Lumiel
06-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Thursday Jun 21, 07 - Horizontal Push/Pull Emphasis

I just realized I started this new routine on the first day of Summer here. Very cool. hehehe.

Here's how I did last night:

Deadlifts (5x5): 180 lbs
Cable Rows (3x8): 130 lbs
BB Bench Press (5x5): 100 lbs
DB Incline Flyes (3x8): 25 lbs
Seated Calf Raises (3x8): 90 lbs
Decline Crunches (2x10)

I noticed that after the Deadlifts I was so "dead" that I had a hard time getting into the Cable Rows, so I might instead move the Bench Press to follow the Deadlifts to give my back a bit of a break. My chest is weak, can't wait to be able to drop 45lb plates on there instead of the little ones. DB flyes are much tougher to do than Cable flyes (which is what I used to do). I think my body has to get used to the odd angle.

I also took it easy on the Calf Raises for two reasons. I overtrained them about a month ago and was so crippled from the pain that I couldn't lower my heels for three days, so I didn't do much weight. They're also already big, so I don't see the need to put on too much weight.

Decline Crunches are really hard on my back, so I think I might stick to doing crunches on a Swiss ball instead.

Lumiel
06-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Friday June 22, 07 - Quad-dominant Leg day

Back Squats (5x5): 200 lbs
Leg Press (3x8): 150 lbs
Leg Curls (3x10): 80 lbs
BB Bicep Curls (5x5): 50 lbs
Hammer Curls (3x8) 20 lbs

Last night I did quite a lot of work on my legs and really felt a big difference. I'm trying to take my squat deeper in, and I definitely feel it in my glutes the next morning (today). Instead of doing leg press, I might do Front Squats for my secondary Quad focused exercise. I've never done them before, and I think they might be easier on my shoulders. The bar position was killing my right shoulder last night until I decided to hold the bar further out and rotate my elbow back more. That did the trick.

I'm very pleased with the progress on my arms. I had teeny chicken wings for arms before, and now they're beefing up nicely. I finally starting to see a break develop between my biceps and my deltoids, and I'm so freaking happy about it!

Lumiel
06-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Sunday June 25, 07 - Vertical Push/Pull Emphasis

Chin Ups: with a -60 assist (5x5)
Lat Pull Downs: 140 lbs (3x8)
Military Press: 70 lbs (5x5)
Standing Side DB raises: 20 lbs (3x8)
Seated Calf Raises: 135 lbs (3x8)
Cruches on Swiss Ball: (3x10)

Holy crap! Chin ups are HARD! But I know I'll see big results from doing them. For the time being, since my lats aren't strong enough, I'm using the Cybex machine to help give me a boost. The setting is at about a 60 pound assist, so that would be me lifting about 160 lbs which is good for what I've normally been pulling in lat pull downs.

I do my Lat pull downs with a narrow grip as I've heard they are better for results. I certainly feel it more.

Decided to change my routine from DB shoulder presses to Military Presses. I love them. They work my shoulders really well and my core too. There's something really satisfying about lifting a 70 pound barbell over your head. DB raises were very challenging to do after the Military press so I had to drop down to 20 lb weights.

We don't have a standing calf raise machine at the gym worth a damn so I'm going to have to figure out a way to do them.

Doing crunches on the swiss ball was much better on my back than the decline crunches.

gravej
06-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Excuse me,

Are you using the exact BGB routine?

Or did you change it up a little?

I am looking to find the exact routine to start on it and then make changed accordingly./

Thanks.

Lumiel
06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
The "Baby Got Back" routine allows you to pick and choose certain exercises. It's more about the ranges of motion and the intensity with which you work certain muscle groups. You can see the original article here (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/baby-got-back/).

So far I'm really enjoying it.

TheLion
06-25-2007, 12:12 PM
lumiel. congrats on the journal. stick with it. i think at your size, if you stick to a constant routine that includes a good Power lifters diet, and you continue to push yourself, you will see great results, and most likely pretty soon. oh, and you'll need this :spam:

Lumiel
06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Any good resources for a power lifter's diet that you could recommend?

BCorn
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
workouts look nice......i have been doing bgb as well......

Lumiel
06-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Tuesday, June 26, 07 - Hamstring-dominant leg day + triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 180 lbs.
Front Squats (3x8): 110 lbs.
Goodmornings (3x8): 90 lbs.
Dips (5x5): with a -52 lbs assist (machine setting 10)
Skull Crushers (3x8): 15 lbs

Holy crap this was a hard day's workout! I decided to do Front Squats instead of my leg extensions because I've heard lots of good things about them. So here are some of the things I ran into:

When doing my Romanian Deadlifts, while I have no problem lifting the weight with my major muscles, my hands just aren't strong enough to hold onto the bar through the full 5 reps. This is the first time this has happened. Maybe I should get a set of lifting straps? My gloves weren't enough (actually they impeded my ability to get a good hold of the bar.)

Front squats SUCK! Holy hell. They really hurt my arms and actually bruised them. It was nestled across the front of my upper chest in the grooves below my delts with my hands cross across the bar in front (like I've seen in pictures). Perhaps I'm holding the bar wrong. They DID, however, end up being a HUGE work out. More than back squats! I must keep doing these.

I also took some progress photos but I need to upload them.

Howard 9
06-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Front squats take a little time to get used to. Try and rest the bar in the crease where your delt ends. They are a good excercise though. Are you using mixed grip on RDL?

Lumiel
06-27-2007, 03:35 PM
That's where I was resting the bar and it apparently bruised me. :-(

I used an overhand grip on the RDLs.

BCorn
06-27-2007, 03:55 PM
I like front sqauts. Are you feeling the RDL's in your hammies? I usually just feel it in my lower back.....maybe my form is off.

Lumiel
06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I have the same problem. I only feel the RDLs in my lower back (erector spinae). Perhaps I should do a different exercise to hit my hammies that day, any suggestions?

Lumiel
06-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Thursday Jun 28, 07 - Upper Body Horizontal Push/Pull Emphasis

Here's how I did last night:

Deadlifts (5x5): 200 lbs
Cable Rows (3x8): 140 lbs
BB Bench Press (5x5): 135 lbs
DB Incline Flyes (3x8): 25 lbs
Seated Calf Raises (3x8): 135 lbs

I think I overdid it last night. I probably slacked in my form as I got to the end of my sets. Because it was a lot of weight I think I wasn't watching my lower back position when engaging my legs at the start of the lift and I strained the muscles. I also formed a blister on my right hand that ruptured doing deadlifts. Thanks for the advice to use the mixed grip - that did the trick for holding onto the bar!

I finally got up to two big plates on BB Bench Press!

My creatine arrived in the mail arrived last night, so I took some after my work out. No negative side effects on my digestive system, which is great. I was a bit worried.

Howard 9
06-29-2007, 02:18 PM
You do know you count the weight of the bar in your lifts right?

BCorn
06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
yea man.....add the 45lb. bar....so with 2 plates your at 135lb....

as far as hammies chack out the glute ham raises Ross does in this video....about 1/4 way into video....http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html

(http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html)

Lumiel
06-29-2007, 02:46 PM
So I went back and looked at my workout journal and I've only been lifting for 6 weeks, not two months yet, so here are my progress pics so far. Keep in mind, FAT GUY, and what I'm showing is already an improvement.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%206-27-07/frontrelaxed.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%206-27-07/backrelaxed.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%206-27-07/frontdoublebi.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%206-27-07/backdoublebi.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%206-27-07/quads.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%206-27-07/calves.jpg

I'll be posting measurements soon.

And I'm not sure how much the bars weight at my gym... I'll have to do a comparison with other weights to be sure. I'm pretty sure the staff there is going to be of no help.

Lumiel
06-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Just fixed all my weights to include 45lbs for the barbell. I didn't have a set weight but this seems to be the consensus. My numbers seem much more in line with what other guys are lifting now. Thanks for the advice.

Built
06-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice work, and you've actually got some nice symmetry between upper and lower - you'll lean out nicely with this and a careful diet.

How IS your diet, by the way?

A few other things:

I suck at either "official" front squat grip, so I do these (http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-157-training/image005.jpg).

And for RDLs (http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercise%20videos%20plus/rdl.mpg), if you feel your lower back, you're not sticking your ass back far enough. The weight should travel straight up and down, your ass should go baaaaack, and you should have the bar in contact with your body the whole time.

Lumiel
06-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Nice work, and you've actually got some nice symmetry between upper and lower - you'll lean out nicely with this and a careful diet.

How IS your diet, by the way?

A few other things:

I suck at either "official" front squat grip, so I do these (http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-157-training/image005.jpg).

And for RDLs (http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercise%20videos%20plus/rdl.mpg), if you feel your lower back, you're not sticking your ass back far enough. The weight should travel straight up and down, your ass should go baaaaack, and you should have the bar in contact with your body the whole time.

Frankly, my diet is "eat everything in my path" at this point. hehehe. I don't really eat a lot of junk (with the exception of ice cream), but I do like to eat out at sit down restaurants, no fast food and no chips or junk like that. I eat about 4 to 5 meals a day, drink two protein shakes a day (one in the morning, one after my workout) and I take creatine after my work out as well. I'd love to find a good diet to follow that's not so regimented in terms of "eat two chicken breasts, five egg whites and a cup of broccoli" becuase I'll go insane. I need dietary variety. So I'd love it if you or anyone could point me to a diet that's more about guidelines and categories of food I can go for or avoid. My main desire is to pack on muscle at this point, then go on a cut and lose the fat later (which I know I can do with a good low carb diet - I've lost 40 pounds in 4 months before doing low carb.)

I'll try sticking my butt WAAAAAY out more to feel the Romanians in the hammies. Thanks for the advice! I love your routine. It kicks my a$$ in a good way!

Lumiel
06-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Friday June 29, 07 - Quad-dominant Leg day

Back Squats (5x5): 170 lbs*
Leg Press (3x8): 135 lbs*
BB Bicep Curls (5x5): 60 lbs

*I took some advice and lowered my weight on the squats in order to go deeper into it, and I'm glad I did. Not only was I a$$ to calves, but it was a HELL of a lot harder to do and I felt it much more in my quads. I practically limped out of the gym because my legs were so pooped. I also realize why I take a wider stance on my squats... I have a belly, which gets in the way when I try to squat deeply. I looked at my form and it seems to be on par with what Sensei does in his Squat Rx videos, so I'm comfortable with my form. After doing them, however, I seemed to have caused some strain on my left scalenes and now have a knot on that side of my neck. Must be from the weight resting on the point where they connect into the back.

I also found out the bars at my gym are only 20 lbs so I went back and corrected my previous weight records.

Built
06-30-2007, 03:25 AM
I'm really glad you're liking the split!

I'm not a diet nazi, I understand your need for variety.

Go to the diet link in my sig and have a look at what I suggest. I'm sure you'll find it comfortable.

Lumiel
07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Wednesday July 1, 07 - Horizontal Push/Pull Emphasis

I took a few days off to get my workout regiment in synch with a class I have on Monday. I also needed a few days to let my back recover. I'm starting to get a pain on my right side of my mid back. My partner seems to think it's due to my scoliosis and the left side of my body strengthening and pulling the muscles back to a more straight spinal formation.

Here's how I did today:

Deadlifts (5x5): 200 lbs
Cable Rows (3x8): 140 lbs
BB Bench Press (5x5): 110 lbs
Incline BB Bench Press (3x8): 80 lbs
Standing Calf Raises (3x8): 130 lbs
Weighted Crunches on Ball (3x10): +20 lbs

Good workout today, although the deadlifts are causing me to strain too hard on my back, I'm thinking I might need to either check my form or drop the weight a bit to let my back recover some. I'm also very slow off the floor, so I might start pulling off of an elevated platform to work on that part of my form.

Also switched to incline bench presses instead of the flyes. I don't really feel the work out as much on the flyes as I do the bench press and it will help me develop the stabilizers better so I can lift more.

Weight is up to 222 lbs. Bought some fat calipers and want to measure my body fat tonight.

Lumiel
07-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Had my body fat percentage measured last night with calipers, all equations came out to right around 24%. Holy crap... I'm fat.

Lumiel
07-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Thursday July 5, 07 - Quad-dominant Leg day

Back Squats (5x5): 140 lbs
Leg Press (3x8): 135 lbs

What a ****ing pathetic day at the gym. First of all I went WAY too late, and I was starving so I couldn't lift for ****. Then in the middle of my third set of squats I lost my balance and fell forward in the bottom of my squat. Thank GOD for the power cage - it caught the bar as I fell forward and it rolled over head. Thankfully the minute I lost control I just ducked and let it fall without hurting my neck or head, but it strained my already tired spine erectors.

I'm thinking that having squat day right after deadlift day is affecting my ability to do them well. My spine erectors are exhausted after deadlifts and then they are just too tired to hold weight through squat day.

I ended up dropping the weight dramatically and still had problems with form. I think either my hips are weak or I was too hungry and tired. It was completely demoralizing.

The rest of my workout was fine, but my heart wasn't in it after the squat failure.

Built
07-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Maybe do rack pulls or t-bar rows for horizontal pulling, and toss in deads instead of RDLs for hamstring day? Could that work?

Lumiel
07-06-2007, 01:19 AM
I think I might do that. Rack Pulls on day 1 could work and then deads on day four, because as it was the RDLs weren't engaging my hammies very much because of my form. Getting off the floor is the weakest part of my deadlift so the rack pulls would be easier too. I'll try that shift (hate making changes to my routine so early on, but I'll give it a try on the next day 1.)

Built
07-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Nothing wrong with tweaking it according to your personal geometry - you have to expect to do a little tailoring on any programme that wasn't custom-designed just for you. The layout is a guidline. For example, I no longer do back squats - I do fronts on both leg days, in different rep ranges.

I've had to lay off rack pulls with my back problems (deformity, I train around it) but they're awesome for building up your back/traps. My preference is to do rack pulls on horizontal day, and RDLs on hamstring dominant day.

For RDLs, push through your heels, engage the hamstrings, arch your back, look UP, lower until you lose that arch, then PULL. The weight will travel straight up and down, your ass leans baaack; don't squat it. Watch you don't round your back. Drag the weight along your body, both directions. Knees bend a little, but again, it's not a squat.

A trick I've learned to use to describe it is to use your delts and arms to push the bar backward into your body, as if you want the bar to move into you rather than straight up and down. This forces your ass backward, which is where it should be.

Lumiel
07-06-2007, 01:35 AM
That's the best description of a RDL I've seen yet. I wasn't getting the whole "push the bar into your body" thing. I'll do the RDLs on my day four this week and see if I see improvement and I'll just get rid of the back squats on day 1 and replace with rack pulls.

Once I get in the bottom of the squat I have a hard time pushing up out of it.

Lumiel
07-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Wow... I miss one lift and all my friends are up in arms screaming that I need a personal trainer and that I'm going to hurt myself for working out hungry and tired and having sub par strength. I shouldn't have told them anything.

And then my partner arranges a meeting with his personal trainer for next week.

Last thing I want is sympathy when I miss a lift.

Bako Lifter
07-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Lol, missing a squat doesn't have to be that big of a deal. Just keep your concentration throughout the lift and you should be fine.

Watch this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=rbu_-6croKc). This is me missing my second attempt. No big deal though :p.

Built
07-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Rack pulls aren't a sub for back squats - they're a sub for off the floor deads, sorta.

Do front squats as a sub for back squats.

Noxon
07-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Nice work in here man.

Squats are not the easiest movement to master, but I would not let that discourage you. I know I am still struggling with getting the hang of heavy squats and I've been at it for six weeks now. It is always most difficult to get out of the hole... That's to be expected. Maybe your hips do need strengthening, but that's not a reason to not squat! Anyway, I just wanted to stop by to let you know that you aren't alone in your struggle to learn to squat and offer some encouragement. The squat is king... Don't let the initial learning curve deter you. =]

Lumiel
07-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Saturday July 7, 07 - Vertical Push/Pull Emphasis

Chin Ups: with a -52 assist (5x5)
Lat Pull Downs: 140 lbs (3x8)
Military Press: 70 lbs (5x5)
Standing Side DB raises: 20 lbs (3x8)
Seated Calf Raises: 135 lbs (3x8)
Weighted Cruches on Swiss Ball: (3x10) +30lbs

What a great work out! I needed a good one after the last fail. Everything felt good. Still have a sore spot on my left back.

Lumiel
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Sunday, July 8, 07 - Hamstring-dominant leg day + triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 185 lbs.
Front Squats (3x8): 115 lbs.
Hyperextentions (3x8)
Dips (5x5): with a -52 lbs assist (machine setting 10)
Skull Crushers (3x8): 15 lbs

I worked on my form with the Romanian Deadlifts and I kept that bar right up against my legs all the way up and down. Felt better on the body, although I still don't feel it too much in my hamstrings, more in my spine erectors which are already sore. I think I'm going to make the changes that Built suggested in my routine.

Since that spot on my back is still sore, I opted not to do the Good Mornings and decided instead to just to some Hyperextensions which was a good move. I don't need to exacerbate an injury - in fact I meet with a trainer on wednesday and I'm going to ask him to see what I should do about that pain in my back.

Dips were stronger... I could feel everything getting stronger as the exercises were easier for me.

And I did much better with the front squats. Carried the bar up against my clavicle and rested it on my front delts... no bruising and much easier to carry. Although in my second set my whole body exploded in sweat and exhaustion, so I only did 2 and a half sets.

LibertyDante
07-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey Man... I just started following your journal.. How are you liking the BGB routine? Anyways, keep up the good work and good luck with your quest.

Lumiel
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
I love the routine. It's freaking hard work. Lots of big movements and it works the back a lot. I love the results I'm seeing in my body though.

Lumiel
07-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I went to a personal trainer yesterday in order to have him look at my routine and any things I might want to adjust keeping in mind my scoliosis and how I've been experiencing back pain as of late.

He recommended I drop my routine down to three days a week, only working each body part once a week and giving myself plenty of time to recover between sessions. He also recommended I do all my exercises with dumbells because of the torsion that barbell work is putting on my spine, until I can strengthen the weaker half of my back up to match the stronger side. (My left side is weaker). He also gave me some exercises to specifically target those muscles. He recommended that I start cutting right away to drop the belly fat and take that additional strain off my back. My goal is to drop 30 lbs. of fat (more or less) and gain a bit more muscle. He measured my body fat at 22% (I was pretty damned close for a first time measurer.)

So my split will be non-BGB for a while until my core muscles are strong enough to get back on BGB.

Day 1: Chest and back
Chin Ups (3x8)
Dumbell Chest Press (3x8)
Dumbell 1-arm rows (3x10)
Incline DB chest press (3x8)
Hyperextensions (3x10) - with a slight twist to work the weaker side harder

Day 2:
Cardio 20-30 min
Weighted crunches (3x10)
Some oblique exercise (3x10)

Day 3: Legs
Leg Press (3x8)
Leg Curls (3x8)
Leg Extension (3x8)
DB Stiff Legged Deadlifts (3x8)
Calves (3x8)

Day 4:
Cardio 20-30 min
Weighted Crunches (3x10)
Some Oblique exercise (3x10)

Day 5: Arms/Shoulders
DB Shoulder Press (3x8)
DB Lateral Raises (3x8)
Dips (3x8)
DB Skull Crushers (3x8)
DB Bicep Curl (3x8)
DB Hammer Curls (3x8)

Day 6 and 7 - Rest

BCorn
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
good luck with new routine

Lumiel
07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks man. It's just for a while until I get my core muscles up in strength and then I'll jump back to BGB.

Built
07-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Ohhh, sorry to hear about your back. Back pain sucks. I have a little scoliosis myself, as well as a deformity in the fifth lumbar that basically leaves me with what amounts to a slipped disk.
I'm absolutely in agreement with the dumbbell work. I'm nervous, however, about the higher rep ranges on a cut - particularly while trying to rehab an imbalance and build up muscle strength and size. Perhaps this month at maintenance calories before resuming cut?

Lumiel
07-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I was thinking I would also lower my weight amount and counter that with higher reps. Would that work? What do you recommend? Lower reps on the cut?

Built
07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking.

You have two stages here:
1. rehab
2. cut

You're currently rehabbing. Probably not the best time to cut.

On a cut, you generally lift short and heavy.

What are you suggesting here, Lumiel?

Lumiel
07-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Well shoot... the trainer kind of wants me to do both: loose the fat and build up the strength in my back. Perhaps I should just cut first and then work on balancing my back.

Built
07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Your trainer thinks you can do both at once? Rehab an injury while hypocaloric?

Lumiel
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
He suggested a low fat diet, not necessarily hypocaloric. He thinks that the fat on me will naturally burn off as I gain muscle if I'm not ingesting very much fat. Sounds kind of like old-school understanding of nutrition.

Built
07-12-2007, 02:55 PM
The fact that he'd recommend a low-fat diet to someone who is trying to rehab an injury makes me rather suspicious of the rest of his recommendations.

He also suggests bodypart training, hitting each "part" once a week.

I don't really see his reasoning. Perhaps ask him to explain how this could work.

Lumiel
07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the suggestions and I'll go back to him and ask him how he intends to have me build muscle/rehab my scoliosis curve on a low-fat diet.

I was thinking I'd just go on a lower carb diet, modify my routine a bit and add some cardio.

Built
07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Just having another peek here...

Chin Ups (3x8)
Dumbell Chest Press (3x8)
Dumbell 1-arm rows (3x10)
Incline DB chest press (3x8)
Hyperextensions (3x10) - with a slight twist to work the weaker side harder

**The twist makes me nervous. I don't do hypers as it is. Twisting while doing them... Hmmmm... Perhaps check that one with a sports med physio.

Day 2:
Cardio 20-30 min
Weighted crunches (3x10)

Leg Press (3x8)
Leg Curls (3x8)
Leg Extension (3x8)
DB Stiff Legged Deadlifts (3x8)
Calves (3x8)
**I've scrapped leg press entirely since my back injury last spring. I'm surprised to see them in here. I'm even more surprised to see leg extensions - not to mention seeing them placed before stiffs. Deadlifts are a compound movement, and honestly, I don't like seeing them in anything higher than the 5-rep range under ordinary circumstances - and you're dealing with a lower spine problem. This just doesn't seem wise. And I'm astonished that I don’t see squats, split squats, front squats, walking lunges … in particular, no unilateral leg work. This screams "mistake" all over it. Most lower back problems are tied in with hip problems. Unilateral movements help here, tremendously.

Day 4:
Cardio 20-30 min
Weighted Crunches (3x10)

DB Shoulder Press (3x8)
DB Lateral Raises (3x8)
Dips (3x8)
DB Skull Crushers (3x8)
DB Bicep Curl (3x8)
DB Hammer Curls (3x8)
**Nothing here that will hurt you. I would add the suggestion that you do your work standing rather than sitting - this hits core better, and won't irritate your lower back like sitting would. Again, the rep range is a hair high for a cut.

Lumiel
07-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.. how about this then? (Sorry for being a pest, I just want to get this right). Also, my scoliosis is in my mid back, not lower back, so he told me to avoid squats or regular DLs because of the compression they would put on my spine. He seemed ok with the Romanians although he would prefer that I avoid them as well and find better ways to work my hammies.

OK... Round two

Chin Ups (5x5)
Dumbell Chest Press (5x5)
Dumbell 1-arm rows (3x8)
Incline DB chest press (3x6)
Hyperextensions (3x8) - it's a very minor lean to one side that I definitely felt hitting my weaker side better than ordinary ones. I'll double check with a physiologist to be sure.

Day 2:
Cardio 20-30 min
Weighted crunches (3x10)

DB Stiff Legged Deadlifts (5x5)
Walking Lunges (3x8)
Leg Curls (3x8)
Leg Extension (3x8)
Calves (3x8)
*He did recommend unilateral stuff across the board. I just don't know of any unilateral leg exercises to work the quads. I guess the lunges would work right? Again, my scoliosis is in the middle-to upper back around the shoulder blades. Most lack of symmetric strength is in my middle/upper back.

Day 4:
Cardio 20-30 min
Weighted Crunches (3x10)

DB Shoulder Press (3x6)
DB Lateral Raises (3x6)
Dips (5x5)
DB Skull Crushers (3x6)
DB Bicep Curl (3x6)
DB Hammer Curls (3x6)
* I like doing them standing too.

Built
07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I asked borris to drop by - perhaps he'll offer some feedback here for you.

Regarding unilateral leg work, when in doubt Mike Robertson (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=473323) never lets me down.

Lumiel
07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Thursday July 12, 07 - Cardio

20 min treadmill - getting myself used to doing it so that I can prepare to do HIIT in the future
Weighted crunches on ball (3x10): +25 lbs.
Reverse crunches (3x10)
Cable Side Bends (3x10): 60lbs

Everything went well. Broke a light sweat on treadmill going about 4 mph. It felt good to hit my abs.

I'm re-evaluating my routine to keep in mind what the trainer suggested about some of my unique body geometry. I think I can still do the BGB routine, but just do as much as possible with unilateral movement and dumbells, letting my weaker side dictate the point of failure so it can develop while I maintain my stronger side.

I'm going to follow the trainer's advice to avoid squats and deadlifts with a barbell because of the compression and torsion they are putting on my back, and I'm going to see if I can select other exercises instead. I'll be posting a rework of my routine later today.

And as for diet. I'm just going to follow the guidelines in Built's article linked from her signature. It's essentially a lower carb diet with the right amount of fat to allow me to develop my weaker muscles, and then add more carb in at the times when it will assist with my lifting routine.

Lumiel
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
So I'm not going to worry about cutting or anything like that.

I've decided to try to do stuff as unilaterally and with DB as much as possible to prevent any unnecessary torsion on my spine that the BB were causing me. I'm also avoiding carrying any excessive weight on my upper spine since my scoliosis is right about between my shoulder blades. The goal here is to strengthen the left hand side of my middle back and the right hand side of my lower back (I have an S curve scoliosis.... if you look at my progress pics you can see it.)

Proposed New Routine

Day 1
DB Hammer Rows (5x5)
DB Chest Press (5x5)
1-arm DB Rows (3x8)
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8)
Seated Calf Raises (3x10)
Weighted Crunches on Ball (3x10)
Cable Side Bends (3x10)

Day 2
Step Ups with hold + DB (5x5)
Leg Curls (3x10)
Walking Lunges (3x8)
BB Bicep Curl (5x5)
Hammer Curls (3x8)

Day 3
Cardio - 20 min or so

Day 4
Chin Ups (5x5)
Unliateral Lat Pull Downs (3x8)
DB Shoulder Press (5x5)
Standing Side DB raises (3x8)
Standing Calf Raises (3x8)
Reverse Crunches (3x10)
Cable Side Bends (3x10)

Day 5
DB Romanian Deadlifts (5x5)
Unilateral Leg Extension (3x8)
Hyperextensions (3x8)
Dips (5x5)
Skull Crushers (3x8)

Day 6
Cardio - 20 min or so

Day 7
Rest

I wanted to incorporate some cardio because I was feeling the lack of it before. Think this would be ok?

Isaac Wilkins
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I was asked to weigh in here. Bear in mind that I'm not a physical therapist and I haven't examined you, so consider anything I say as merely an idea to look into.

Do you actually have an acute injury, or just experiencing complications with your scoliosis? If there's a new injury, work on healing it. If there isn't, then work on pre-hab and strengthening.

Without knowing too much about your past, I'd say that you'll be better off healing up if you need to and then dieting. You can keep your diet under control so that you don't backslide, but realistically you're going to be better off getting up to snuff before adding more stress on. Healing takes energy. The body is going to heal itself almost regardless of what you do, but that energy will come from somewhere. Healing will be much faster on a maintenance or slightly hypo-caloric diet. EFA's should be reasonably high to provide structural components. There's no need to go nuts, but a low-fat diet isn't conductive to healing.

Pre-hab and rehab exercises should be done much more frequently than once a week. You're not looking (in general) for heavy weight or failure. This will enable you to up the frequency.

What is your mobility and stretching program like?

I would favor unilateral work as well. It's going to help with the imbalances that I'm sure exist.

I love hyperextensions, actually. If done properly, there's extremely little risk of injury. If someone can't do it, they just can't get up. I wouldn't twist in that position, though. Twisting is a risky movement if there's an injury, and to twist under tension like that is not something I'd recommend. There are other ways to even out the erectors.

Cardio will be fine, it'll help with cellular turn-over.

Lumiel
07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey Borris, thanks for weighing in. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Here's the backstory.... I have scoliosis - that's it. No injury. But I noticed that some of the heavier compound lifts were just putting excessive strain on my back and I'd be hurting for a while after. If you look at my back double-bi flex pic earlier in this thread, you can see the pattern of the scoliosis: S curve starting around the scapulae toward the right, then swaying to the left in the lumbar vertebrae.

I like your suggestions - that's what I'm thinking. Hitting each body part twice a week. Unilateral movements as much as possible. A little cardio to strengthen my heart too. A maintenance diet. I'm going to reduce my weights and not go for failure, but more for just conditioning the muscles.

Mobility and stretching. I stretch between exercises (like right after doing a bench press, I stretch my pecs - for example) and I also stretch throughout the day and on rest days to make sure I don't stay stiff. I also stretch my back and hip flexors in the morning and at night to combat stiffness acquired throughout the day.

I like the hyperextensions a lot. I think just mentally connecting with the weaker side and focusing my energy there is enough to make sure the stronger side doesn't compensate for it - that way it will develop and catch up.

Lumiel
07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Saturday July 14, 07 - Upper Body, Vertical Plane of motion

Chin Ups (5x5) @ "11" (some machine setting that gives about a -58 lb assist)
Unliateral Lat Pull Downs (3x8) 70lbs each side
DB Shoulder Press (5x5) 35 lbs dbs
Standing Side DB raises (3x8) 20 lbs dbs
Standing Calf Raises (3x8) 150 lbs
Reverse Crunches (3x10)
Cable Side Bends (3x10) 70 lbs
20 min cardio on treadmill at 4mph

Everything went well. Unilateral lat pull downs were great. They really emphasized that my left middle/upper back (lats, rhomboids) are significantly weaker then my right. So I start with the left side and once I reach failure on that side I don't do any more on the right. This is an effort to get the left side's strength up to the right side's.

Liking the cable side bends to work the obliques. Fun

Lumiel
07-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Sunday July 15, 07 - Legs emphasizing hamstrings

DB Romanian Deadlifts (5x5) 70 lbs dbs
Leg Extension (3x8) 100 lbs (decided not to go unilateral - my problem isn't in my hips)
Hyperextensions (3x8) +10 lbs
Dips (5x5) @ "10" (a -52 lb assist)
Skull Crushers (3x8) 15lb dbs

The dumbells certainly help with torsion problems I was getting on my back doing the deadlifts. I REALLY felt them in my hamstrings this time... finally hitting them right. Decided not to do leg extensions unilaterally as both legs are evenly built and I don't have problems with strength in my hips... it's in my middle back imbalance.

Lumiel
07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Wednesday July 25, 07 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion

Rack Pulls (5x5): 200 lbs
DB Chest Press (5x5): 55lbs DBs
Pulley Rows (3x8): 140 lbs
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8): 30 lbs DBs
Standing Calf Raises (3x10): 150 lbs
Weighted Crunches on Ball (3x10): +30lbs
Cable Side Bends (3x10): 80 lbs

I didn't have my new routine on me so I just did a modified version of my previous routine. The rack pulls are much easier on my back than full deadlifts were, and I felt I had a good work out. Taking a week off did wonders. I have to up almost all my weights next week, especially my chest. WOOT!

Lumiel
07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Monday July 30, 07 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion

DB Chest Press (5x5): 55lbs DBs
1-arm DB Rows (3x8): 75 lbs DB
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8): 40 lbs DBs
Weighted Crunches on Ball (3x10): +30lbs

This month was the worst workout month ever. I had too many trips away from home and consequently couldn't stick to my routine. At least I haven't lost any strength.

I'm going to have to axe the rack pulls. That strange discomfort came up again in my middle right back. I think I might have a rib out of place. In any case, I'm going to switch to the DB Hammer Rows for the unilateral motion benefit.

I couldn't stay a moment longer in the gym to finish the last abdominal exercise because the a/c was out, and it was horribly hot in there. I was about to pass out, so I left. Still, a good workout. I'm feeling it in my chest more now.

Lumiel
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Wednesday Aug 1, 2007 - Lower Body, Emphasizing Quads + biceps

Step Ups with hold (5x5): +100 lbs
Leg Curls (3x10): 90 lbs
Walking Lunges (3x8): +60 lbs
Barbell bicep curls (5x5): 60 lbs
Hammer Curls (3x8): 25 lbs dumbells

Holy ****, the step ups and walking lunges kicked my butt... literally. My glutes are more sore today than ever before - more so than doing squats in the past. I'm trying to emphasize unilateral work in my lower body too, and WOW it works my body HARD! I also noticed the lunges and step ups require me to hold heavy weights in my hands for longer periods of time so I get a good forearm and trap workout too.

Just started tracking my diet on fitday.com. I had such a light last month, it's time to really hit the gym hard.

Lumiel
08-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Sunday Aug 12, 07 - Upper Body, Vertical Plane of Motion

Chin Ups (5x5) @"10" - whatever that machine setting is
Unliateral Lat Pull Downs (3x8): 70 lbs
DB Shoulder Press (5x5): 35 lbs dbs
Standing Side DB raises (3x8): 20 lbs dbs
Standing Calf Raises (3x8): 150 lbs
Weighted Crunches (3x10): +30 lbs

I've been so lax about getting to the gym lately that this week I declared that I'm going to simplify my life. Less going out with friends and more hitting the gym.

The unilateral lat pull downs are great - I really feel it when I'm doing them, and it's assisting in bringing my left side's strength up to par with the right side. This coupled with the 1 arm db rows is making a big difference. Once my strength is equal on both sides, then I'll look at going on a cut. I have some nice muscle mass built up - all my friends are noticing the difference.

Any advice on when the right time is to go on a cut, and what to do? I've been doing some research on diet, but could use any advice offered.

Lumiel
08-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Wednesday Aug 15, 2007 - Upper body, Horizontal Plane of motion

BB Chest Press (5x5): 110 lbs
1-arm DB Rows (3x8): 75 lbs

Workout went really well. It's time to up my weights on the Rack Pulls, Bench Press, and Incline Chest Press. About time too... my chest was feeling really weak - although it certainly looks great, I wanted it to be stronger.

Still have an odd pain in my right-side mid-back after working my back. I think it's attributed to the imbalance in strength between the two sides exacerbating my scoliosis. Thankfully it's gotten much better which I attribute to the unilateral work I've been doing on my lats.

Lumiel
08-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Friday, August 17, 07 - Lower Body, Emphasizing Quads + Biceps

Step Ups (5x5): +100 lbs
Walking Lunges (3x8): +60 lbs
Hammer Curls (3x8): 25 lbs dbs

Workout kicks my butt, but is great. I feel most of this in my glutes, not my quads, so I'm thinking next week I might see if I can possibly do front squats and not have my back get all out of whack from my scoliosis.

Lumiel
08-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Sunday August 19, 07 - Upper Body, Vertical Plane of Motion

Chin Ups (5x5) @"10" -52 lbs assist
Unilateral Lat Pull Downs (3x8): 70 lbs
Weighted Crunches (3x10): +35 lbs

I did an extra set of Unilateral Lat Pull Downs on my left side to help it get stronger faster. I'm trying to bring it up to par with my right side's strength faster. It's catching up but still has a long way to go.

I'm still feeling that odd pain in my right rear ribcage from time to time. Not as bad as when I was doing Deadlifts and Squats. I need to go to a chiro to have it checked out.

Weighed myself ... up to 224. That's a total of ten pounds gained in the last four months.

Lumiel
08-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Monday August 20, 07 - Legs emphasizing hamstrings

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 170 lbs
Leg Extension (3x8): 90 lbs
Hyperextensions (3x8) +10 lbs
Dips (5x5) @ "9" (a -46 lb assist)
Bench Dips (3x8)

This day is always one of the toughest for me. The Deadlifts kill me! I decided to go for it and use a barbell again. No matter what I use, be it barbell or dumbbells I still get that weird back pain so I figure might as well use the barbell so I can avoid having the weights slip out of my hands.

Hyperextensions kicked my BUTT. I could barely stand afterward, my erector spinae were so wiped out. Dips felt great, and I liked following them with Bench Dips instead of the skull crushers. I need to add some weight to the bench dips though. I was able to finish the sets with no problem.

I also need to take some progress pics soon.

Lumiel
08-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Holy crap everything hurts today. I must have hit it really well at the gym the last two days because I woke up in the middle of the night hungry (after eating two chicken breasts an hour before going to bed) and in PAIN! My abs are sore, my back is sore, my arms are sore.

OW! But HOORAY! I finally hit everything well and feel like I made a real difference in my routine.

Eric Cartman
08-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Hey dude,

You and me definitely seem to be in the same boat. I have almost exactly the same strength level as you, a back issue, and probably a bit too much body fat.

My personal path so far has been to bulk till my size and strength has substantially increased, work on my flexibility, and then plan to do a massive cut in several months. I will do mostly compound exercises to achieve this, such as bench, pull up, chin up, military press etc..

I don't really have any advice, just wanted to offer encouragement! I guess the only thing I can say is make each routine as perfect as possible, and don't do anything you aren't ready for... people in this forum will try and push you in many directions, but only you know what is best for your body!

Good luck!!

EC

Lumiel
08-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks man. I'm actually really happy with where my body's at right now. My theory is if I get big enough shoulders, chest and back, no one will notice the slight belly. hehehe.

Keep up the good work too, and I'll have progress pics up later this week so you can see how far I've come. :-)

Lumiel
08-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Thursday Aug 23, 07 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion

Rack Pulls (5x5): 220 lbs
Bench Press (5x5): 120 lbs
1-arm DB Rows (3x8): 80 lbs
Seated Calf Raises (3x10): 150 lbs
Weighted Crunches on Ball (3x10): +35lbs

I increased most of my weights today and did really well. The Rack Pulls were a bit rough, but that's because of my back issues. I need to go to a chiro to address the weird pain on my right mid-back.

I still feel a bit unable to balance the bar when doing chest presses. I assume this is a matter of my stabilizer muscles getting used to the motion and growing in strength.

Lumiel
08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Wednesday August 29, 07 - Upper Body, Vertical Plane of Motion

Chin Ups (5x5) @"10" -52 lbs assist
Weighted Crunches (3x15): +35 lbs

I've had a way too busy week to get to the gym consistently. I need to cut somethings out of my life to get more time to work my routine consistently. So if I can only go once a week I make sure to work my upper body since it is lagging behind my lower body. Since I'm trying to make sure my back's left side is as strong as my right side, I make sure to emphasize it a bit more.

I'll post progress pics later today.

Lumiel
08-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Forgive the weird color issues. I did my best to adjust them.

You can clearly see the difference in development from right to left side. My left Lat and back in general is a lot weaker than my right side. This is something my body developed over years to compensate for my scoliosis.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%208-29-07/frontdoublebi.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%208-29-07/backdoublebi.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%208-29-07/latspread.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%208-29-07/quads.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%208-29-07/calves.jpg

Whatcha think?

Built
08-30-2007, 12:39 PM
My word you're thick!

I can see the difference, because I'm looking for it, but it's not as obvious to the eye as you are of course aware.

Your legs look powerful as hell - how nice to start out not having to build those up!

Go get that chiro to check out the weird pain.

How much longer you planning to bulk, bud?

Lumiel
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Not bad for the fact that I'm not lifting tremendous weight, eh? I just really stick to excellent form. I'd rather do a bicep curl at 20 lbs from full extension to full contraction and hold than these half-hearted ones you see ego-driven lifters doing with 45 lb. dumbells maybe getting a third of their total ROM.

Thanks for the feedback Built - maybe one day my back will look like yours!? hehehe. I'm going to bulk until that left lat is as strong as the right one. Think that's wise? Or should I just go for the cut now, drop about 35 lbs and then start bulking again?

I was blessed by my mom with a strong lower body. Well that, and Salsa lessons helped too. hehehe.

Built
08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I'd do neither - keep the weight the same, recompose a bit over the fall and winter, cut in January.

You can cheat biceps a bit - cheat 'em up, do controlled negatives. Mine respond very well to this.

Same thing for back work. You need to know where you can and cannot cheat the weight a bit - but done right, you'll get killer growth.

Lumiel
08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
I've been doing those slow negatives on the chin-ups since you mentioned it in another thread and HOLY CRAP they work really well. I've never felt soreness in my lats until I did that! Great idea. I've been adding one additional set to the left side lat exercises to bring it up to par with the right. This that's a good idea? Any other suggestions to bring the balance together?

Built
08-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Hmmm. Interesting.

Try that, or do a few more reps on that side maybe? Imbalances are tricky - but the unilateral work will only help over time.

Slow weighted negs are amazing, aren't they? I do self-assisted chins weighted just for the negs!

Lumiel
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
I can't wait till I can actually ADD weight to my chins. I'm about 50 lbs away from being able to pull up my own body weight (which considering how much I weigh isn't that bad, right?

I just did the negative chin ups last night and my wings are killing me today. hehehe. Thanks for the help as always. I hope one day to be a poster boy for the BGB routine. ;-)

Built
08-30-2007, 02:14 PM
<giggles>

Once you can do real chins, start adding weight to the self-assisted negs.

They will own you.

Lumiel
09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Monday September 3, 07 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion

Rack Pulls (5x5): 225 lbs
Bench Press (5x5): 135 lbs
Seated Calf Raises (3x10): 135 lbs
Weighted Crunches on Ball (3x10): +35lbs

I started working out at a different location and their bars are a proper 45 pounds, so I used that opportunity to up some of my weights. I had seated calf raises too high in poundage and decided to drop down and really work on excellent form.

My friend has decided to do my routine with me, so that's added motivation.

Lumiel
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Tuesday, September 4, 07 - Lower Body, Emphasizing Quads + Biceps

Back Squats (below parallel) (5x5): 135 lbs
Walking Lunges (3x8): +70 lbs

I was having withdrawals and decided to put squats back in my routine. Everything went beautifully. No weird back pain. I think my left lats are finally catching up, better supporting my back in these big compound lifts.

Following the squats with the walking lunges wiped me out. WOW! I'm quite sore today - which is nice, since my quads are normally not sore. Biceps and forearms are growing nicely as well.

Lumiel
09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
My legs are so sore I feel like I can't walk. DOMS is a betch!

Lumiel
09-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Thursday Sept. 6, 07 - Upper Body, Vertical Plane of Motion

Chin Ups (5x5) with a -90 lb assist (I think the last machine I used was in Kg, not lbs)
DB Shoulder Press (5x5): 40 lbs dbs
Weighted Crunches (3x10): +35 lbs

I'm working out at a new gym and many of the machines are calibrated completely differently, namely the assisted chin up machine. It turns out that the last gym I was working out at had an uncalibrated machine or was just plain lying. Also this gym uses real 45 lb bars so I'm acclimating myself to the new settings.

I upped my shoulder press and next week I'll have to up my calf raise weight. Everything's going great and I'm not getting that weird pain in my back like before. Tomorrow will be the defining moment when I do RDLs and see if I get that odd rib cage pain again. Lats are evening out in strength.

Built
09-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm so glad to hear your lats are evening out!

Are you doing any stretches for that back/hip pain?

Lumiel
09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
I've been doing stretches and ghetto-foam roller stuff... (I don't have a foam roller so I use a ball).

The pain was more structural than muscular. I think it was an effect of my right lat getting so strong to the detriment of my left lat which was exacerbating the curvature of my scoliosis. Now that the left lat is catching up it's lessening if not completely gone away.

Built
09-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, whatever the reason, I'm delighted to hear it's settling down.

Lumiel
09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Me too! And I can't wait to get back into doing regular deadlifts instead of rack pulls on day 1. I also have two of my best friends on the BGB routine as well and they are VERY happy with it!

Built
09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey, that's great to hear! Thanks!

Lumiel
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Friday Sept. 7, 07 - Lower Body emphasizing Hamstrings + triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 185 lbs
Front Squats (3x8): 135 lbs
Hyperextensions (3x8): +25 lbs
Dips (5x5): with 100 lbs assist
Kaz Presses (3x8): 95 lbs

So I added in the Kas Presses after seeing so many folks rave about them on here. THEY ROCK! I really felt the isolation on the triceps and soreness for the next two days. These will be a great addition to the routine. I'm still sorting out the right weights now that I'm working out at a different facility. The assisted dip/pull-up machine uses different measurements and I'm pretty sure the last one was miscalibrated or in metric.

I need to increase weight on the RDLs, the Dips, and the Kaz Presses. Was sore throughout both rest days and am eager to get back in the gym today. Seeing great progress in my upper body, especially my arms.

Built
09-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Very cool that your arms are responding so well with so little direct work, isn't it?
I hear this over and over from people who start training this way.

Lumiel
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Agreed. My friend who does a lot of kickboxing and dance grabbed a hold of my arm the other day and she said, "HOLY *****! Where did these come from?!" And I simply explained my routine to her and she was impressed. :-)

You don't know how much that means to me because I've always been the fat guy with the little twig arms and it's nice to finally get what I've always dreamt of - and they are ROCK hard, not flabby and squishy.

Built
09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
That's WONDERFUL!

Lumiel
09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Monday Sept. 10, 07 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion + Calves

Rack Pulls (5x5): 245 lbs
Bench Press (5x5): 155 lbs
1-arm DB rows (3x8): 80 lbs
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8): 40 lbs

Now that I'm being religious about following this routine (thanks to my best friend working out with me), I'm starting to see faster results. My chest is finally getting stronger, my rack pulls are getting better too. I attribute much of this to my left lats finally catching up in strength to my right lats.

Had a bit of a tough time getting started last night. The gym was way too packed. The power rack even with the pins at the lowest setting aren't really low enough to get the bar below my knee, so we tried to use a deadlifting platform they had set up and some idiot was doing BB rows there when he could have been doing them anywhere else. Top that with the guy who was doing Hang Cleans completely wrong and literally THROWING the bar back onto the rack making a racket, and it was a bad start to the night. I tried to stay focused on my work but it was kind of hard to when the floor shook everytime that guy chucked his barbell back on the rack. What a goon.

Lumiel
09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Tuesday, September 11, 07 - Lower Body, Emphasizing Quads + Biceps

Back Squats (below parallel) (5x5): 165 lbs

I'm so glad I'm doing squats again. I'm slowly upping my weight. I was able to barely get out the last rep so I think I'm at the right weight for now. Afterward, my left hip flexor is sore - I may have pulled it some. I need to do some warm ups before hand next time. The walking lunges still hurt like a betch. Bicep work is coming along great!

I also weighed myself last night - 228. Up another pound. That's good news, and I definitely see more definition in my muscles. I can finally see the separation between my traps and my delts and the rise of my traps getting bigger. And my upper arms are starting to look less like this: || and more like this: (). Which is WONDERFUL!

Lumiel
09-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Thursday, September 13, 07 - Upper Body, Vertical Plane of Motion + Calves

Chin ups (5x5): -90 lbs assist
DB Shoulder Press (5x5): 40 lb dbs
Unilateral Lat Pulldowns (3x8): 70 lbs
Lateral Shoulder Raises (3x8): 20 lbs
Standing Calf Raises (3x10): 165 lbs
Weighted Crunches: +35 lbs

Had my body fat measured at the gym for free by one of the trainers. It came by 24%. I had 23% body fat earlier this year, so about the same, and I've put on more poundage, so I can clearly indicate that I've put on more muscle, which is great. I can certainly see the results. I want to post progress pics at the end of this month.

Time to up the weight on the Unilateral Lat pull downs. My left side was able to complete the 3 sets with ease which is the first time ever - it's caught up in strength with the right side, although it's still a little easier for the right side to do the lat pull downs. I'm upping the weight next week on these as well as the standing calf raises and the weighted crunches.

Built
09-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Don't be surprised if the strength is still different from left to right when you up the weight and drop the reps.

I'm so glad you're evening this imbalance!

Lumiel
09-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Ah ok... so if I witness that I won't be disheartened. :-) At least they are evening out visibly in size. That's a nice thing.

Apparently, starting unilateral sets with the weak side and only going as far as it will with the strong side, then tossing in an additional set on the weak side has done the trick!

Built
09-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Nice!

Lumiel
09-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Friday, September 14, 07 - Lower Body, Emphasizing Hamstrings + Triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 205 lbs
Front Squats (3x8): 115 lbs
Dips (5x5): -80 lbs assist
Kaz Presses (3x8): 95 lbs

Great workout day. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kaz Presses - I feel it in my triceps for three days following, and they are blowing up fast! Thanks to Fuzzy for the suggestion.

Time to up the weight on the Kaz Presses and to reduce the assistance on the dips. I can also p the weight on my hyperextensions too.

And my workout was delayed by some a$$clown doing bicep curls in the squat rack. I now understand the intense dislike for guys who do this. (Because, if the weight gets too heavy he can drop it and the pins will catch it so he won't hurt himself....)

Lumiel
09-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Monday, September 17, 07 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion + Calves

Rack Pulls (5x5): 265 lbs
BB Chest Press (5x5): 165 lbs
Incline DB Press (3x8): 45 lb DBs

What a great workout. I upped my weights on several lifts and it felt great. When doing rack pulls I noticed the bar bending under the weight for the first time ever. VERY COOL!!! My stabilizers have strengthened enough that I can now increase my bench press weight each week - it's about time!

Lumiel
09-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Tuesday, September 18, 07 - Lower Body, emphasizing Quads + biceps

Squats (5x5): 165 lbs (full ROM)

Biceps are almost ready to come up in weight. Walking lunges still kick my a$$. My Squat weight is still kind of low because I'm going all the way down with them, which feels much better on my legs, but is REALLY putting a lot of work on my hips. My hip flexors are sore the next day. A lot of this has to do with my wide stance that I take because of my belly. I can't take a narrower stance because the belly gets in the way.

But over all a great work out. I think next week I'll do the same weight and the week after I'll up my pounds.

Lumiel
09-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Thursday, September 20, 07 - Upper Body, vertical plane of motion + Calves

Chin ups (5x5): -80 lb assist
Military Press (5x5): 80 lbs
Unilateral Lat Pulldown (3x8): 80 lbs
DB Lateral Shoulder raise (3x8): 20 lbs
Standing Calf Raises (3x10): 180 lbs
Weighted Crunches (3x15): +45 lbs

I upped a lot of my weights today as well. Good work out. The chins are the hardest part simply because I'm doing slow controlled negatives. I think my back has evened out enough for me to do real Military Presses instead of DB shoulder presses - used the BB today and it felt great.

I should post some progress pics next week.

Lumiel
09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Friday, September 21, 07 - Lower Body, emphasizing Hamstrings + triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 205 lbs
Front Squats (3x8): 115 lbs
Dips (5x5): -70 lbs assist
Kaz Press (3x8): 105 lbs

Next week I'll be adding more weight for the RDLs, Front Squats and Hyperextensions. I'm noticing that the front of my hips where the quads attach are VERY sore after doing squats, probably because I'm going so deep with them and am learning to become more flexible there. The Kaz Presses rock and make this my favorite day to hit the gym in the routine.

Lumiel
09-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Monday, September 24, 07 - Upper Body, horizontal plane of motion + Calves

Rack Pulls (5x5): 285 lbs
Bench Press (5x5): 165 lbs
1-arm DB rows (3x8): 80 lb DB
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8): 45 lb DBs
Seated Calf Raise (3x10): 135 lbs
Weighted Crunches (3x15): didn't do them

I was in an all-day meeting at work prior to the gym and didn't get a proper meal in before the gym so I was REALLY dragging and had a terrible work out. Didn't even have the energy to do my crunches.

On the plus side, I was able to really increase the weight on my rack pulls and now they are REALLY working me hard. Love it!

And once again, there was a pack of curl monkeys taking up BOTH squat racks doing barbell bicep curls... what a bunch of a$$hats. :shoot: When I asked them how many they had left, they said "Well you can work in" and I said, "No, I'm going to do squats in the squat rack and moving the bar back and forth is going to waste our time." They seemed completely baffled, almost like they've never squatted in their lives - wait... that's right... I NEVER see them squatting. They look like lollipops.

Lumiel
09-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Tuesday, September 25, 07 - Lower Body, emphasizing quads + biceps

Squats ATF (5x5): 165 lbs
BB Bicep Curl (5x5): 60 lbs
Hammer Curls (3x8): 25 lbs

Next week I'll be increasing the weight on my squats and BB Bicep Curls. Walking lunges have not gotten any easier. I feel like I'm going to die when I get to the end of the third set. My heart is pounding in my chest, I'm sweating like a trucker and I feel like I'm never going to get up off of the floor. I might substitute a different exercise for these - my mind is already setting me up for failure before I ever do them.

The squats I'm taking very deep and they really hit my hip flexors, but I can tell I'm getting a better workout for it. Sure I can't lift that much weight, but my legs are getting rock hard.

Noxon
09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Lookin' sharp Lumiel. I wouldn't sub out those walking lunges. They are brutal by design! That's what makes them great.

Lumiel
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Gah! I know... but I hate those fu˘kers!!!! I'll just stick with it. I might need to come down on the weight to stop the heart-attack experience.

Noxon
09-26-2007, 11:13 AM
What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.

Lumiel
09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
VERY VERY TRUE

What doesn't kill me, leaves me like a sweaty pile of mess on the floor. :-)

Herandi
09-26-2007, 02:44 PM
nice workout man, stick with the deadlifts if you can, they've done wonders for me

Lumiel
09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
nice workout man, stick with the deadlifts if you can, they've done wonders for me

I'm going to put them back into my routine once my back completely evens out in strength. When I was first doing them - the regular DLs, not the RDLS - they were putting too much strain on my right side as it was compensating for the left side which is weaker. Now that they are evening out, I'll be adding them back in very soon. I can't wait! I love the feeling of picking up a ton of weight and dropping it back down - so simple, but so powerful.

Herandi
09-27-2007, 03:11 AM
yeah deadlifts are by far my favourite exercise now, and even weak guys like me can look badass when we stack teh plates on the bar :). good luck with the back man

Lumiel
09-27-2007, 09:56 AM
You're not weak... you lift more than I do! AND YOU'RE YOUNGER AND LIGHTER!

Lumiel
09-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Thursday, September 27, 07 - Upper Body, vertical plane of motion + Calves

Military Press (5x5): 90 lbs
Close-grip Lat Pulldowns (3x8): 160 lbs
DB Lateral Shoulder raise (3x8): 25 lbs
Standing Calf Raises (3x10): 210 lbs

I opted to stop the unilateral stuff for the most part because my back has evened up in terms of strength and size, consequently I can lift a whole lot more weight! I can't wait till I can chin my body weight - then again that's 230 lbs for my lats to pull, hehehe. When I keep in mind that many of the guys on here who do body weight chins are 150 lbs, I don't feel so bad... I'm lifting about the same amount of weight myself.

Military presses were STRONG, and my calf numbers are soaring.

Noxon
09-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Nice work Lumiel. 230 lb chin ups will be strong as hell.

If you have been training chins for a while now, you might consider doing jump chins or reverse band chins to start increasing your negative resistance. That should help you bring that weight up faster.

Lumiel
09-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks man. I've been doing really slow negatives to help shoot it up too. Reverse band chins... how do these work? Where can I see an example?

Noxon
09-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Not sure where you might find an example, but basically you just attach two bands to the pull up bar and put your feet in them. It's a varied assist so that towards the top you are doing more of the work. Similar thing can be accomplished with less setup by doing jump chins though.

Lumiel
10-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Forgot my documented lifts at home for Friday. I'll post them later. I didn't go to the gym on Monday - I was sick at home. I'll be back in there today though. :-)

Lumiel
10-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Friday, September 28, 07 - Lower Body, emphasizing Hamstrings + triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 225 lbs
Kaz Press (3x8): 105 lbs

Fantastic work out. Upped my RDLs and Front Squats. My hip flexors are finally getting into shape, thank god!

Lumiel
10-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Tuesday October 2, 07 - Lower Body, emphasizing Quads + biceps

Squats (5x5): 185 lbs
Walking Lunges (3x8): 70 lbs
BB Bicep Curls (5x5): 70 lbs

Squats were solid - my hip flexors are strengthening. Feeling pumped quads is CRAZY! It's like your legs are solid steel - ROCK HARD! I can go up next week on the squats.

Bicep curls were solid. My arms are getting huge - which is so encouraging. I upped my BB bicep curl this week and it went very smoothly.

Weighed in - I'm now at 231.

Herandi
10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
nice squats and real nice RDLs the other day. Congrats on the guns...

Lumiel
10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks man! I'll be posting progress pics here shortly. The transformation in the last month of serious steady application has been amazing.

Noxon
10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Good to see the enthusiasm and the weight both through the roof man, keep it up you are making great progress.

hulkinout
10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Looking forward to seeing the progress pics. Some nice progress you got going there.

Long Beach, eh? Tell the Queen Mary I said hullo.

Lumiel
10-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Noxon: Thanks buddy! I appreciate the support

Hulkinout: I should post some pics this weekend. I'll have the time finally to take them in decent light. And I'll say hi to the QM for you. :-) I live two blocks from the ocean and have a perfect view of her.

Lumiel
10-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Thursday, October 4, 07 - Upper Body, vertical plane of motion + Calves

Standing Calf Raises (3x10): 210 lbs

Solid work out. Shoulders really get nicely worked with the militaries. I couldn't even get 6 reps out on the last set of the laterals as a consequence.

hulkinout
10-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Noxon: Thanks buddy! I appreciate the support

Hulkinout: I should post some pics this weekend. I'll have the time finally to take them in decent light. And I'll say hi to the QM for you. :-) I live two blocks from the ocean and have a perfect view of her.

Ooh, I'm jealous. I'm hoping to sail on the QM2 sometime...

I like the layouts of your routines too. Very few people use the vertical/horizontal thing ying/yang thing. I picked it up several years ago when I got into reading Ian King's articles on t-nation, and I think it's one of the reasons my torso's taken off in the last couple years.

You can do some nice supersetting or alternating of bodyparts on these when you need a change of pace or a growth shock.

Keep up the good work!

Lumiel
10-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Hulkinout: Thanks for the support man! I'm loving this routine... but the credit goes to Built. You can see the link to her routine on the first post of my journal.

Friday, October 5, 07 - Lower Body emphasizing Hamstrings + Triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 225 lbs
Hyperextensions (3x8): +35 lbs
Kaz Presses (3x8): 105 lbs

Weigh in: 232 lbs

I'm gaining about a pound every week and a half now. I'm probably going to start cutting soon. I'm tired of the belly... but the rapid muscle growth is so tempting!!!

Next week I'll have to increase weight on the RDLs, Front Squats and Kaz Presses. Seriously, do some Kaz Presses - they are freaking SWEET for your triceps. My arms feel pumped for hours afterward.

Noxon
10-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Excellent work Lumiel. ^^

Herandi
10-08-2007, 03:03 PM
nice workout man! if you bulk another 10 pounds of so when you cut you'll be a monster for sure, keep it up

Lumiel
10-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Geez. I hope I can stick it out... another 10 pounds would put me at my heaviest ever... but the idea of being a monster is very appealing. :-)

Lumiel
10-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Monday, October 8, 07 - Upper Body, horizontal plane of motion + Calves

Rack Pulls (5x5): 285 lbs
Bench Press (5x5): 165 lbs
1-arm DB rows (3x8): 80 lbs
Incline DB Press (3x8): 45 lbs

Didn't do calves or crunches... and those four exercises took well over an hour because the gym was PACKED with students who all had Columbus Day off. I had to wait almost 25 min just for a bench - insane. So we left after an hour and 20 min.

Still, my rack pulls were solid and BP was perfect. Next week I have to increase both my Rack Pulls and my Bench Press. I may switch out regular Deadlifts for the Rack Pulls now that my back is balanced out.

What the fark is it with guys doing bicep curls where they throw their entire torso backward to use momentum just to get the bar up? I'm finding it very irritating. Especially when they do it in the squat rack. Lower you weights and pick the damned bar up off the floor!

Lumiel
10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Didn't go to the gym on tuesday. I was hit with a second cold and actually left work early to go home and rest. Hate missing the gym. grrrrrr!

Noxon
10-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear that bud. Get well!

Nice rack pulls the other day.

Lumiel
10-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Noxon: Thanks man, I'm ready to start Deadlifting instead of rack pulls. Now that my back is in shape, I want the full body experience.

Thursday, October 11, 07 - Upper Body, vertical plane of motion + Calves

Standing Calf Raises (3x10): 225 lbs

Chin ups were weak for me this week. I wish my back would just get up to speed so I can do chins without the assist. I've been doing the really slow negatives too, and I'm getting good results, I'm just really heavy and my back has a long way to go.

Next week I'll up my Military Press. Everything else is good. Finally found a perfect weight for my calves.

hulkinout
10-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Geez. I hope I can stick it out... another 10 pounds would put me at my heaviest ever... but the idea of being a monster is very appealing. :-)

Ah, the allure of becoming a beast...I know it well.

Lumiel
10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Friday Oct 12, 07 - Lower Body emphasizing Hamstrings + Triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 245 lbs
Front Squats (3x8): 155 lbs
Kaz Press (3x8): 115 lbs

After the RDLs I was BEAT. Sweated my a$$ off and took LONG breaks between my sets of squats. I didn't get a proper meal in before hand. Kaz Presses were rockin'! Arms are getting very hard and big.

Built
10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Gotta love big hard arms.

You're doing well with this!

Re the chins - try the slow negatives weighted. I can only do one or two full chins from a dead hang with 25 lbs hanging off me, but I do the negatives in 5-rep sets this way and my lats get very nicely toasted from it.

Lumiel
10-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Yep, I've been doing EXACTLY that... slow negatives on the chins. I can't weight them yet because I'm VERY heavy and my lats/arms aren't that strong yet, but I'm getting there.

Built
10-15-2007, 11:32 AM
You'd be surprised. Try some weight, maybe go a little faster than you do unweighted, and if you have straps, use 'em to strap yourself to the grip.

hulkinout
10-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Friday Oct 12, 07 - Lower Body emphasizing Hamstrings + Triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 245 lbs
Front Squats (3x8): 155 lbs

After the RDLs I was BEAT. Sweated my a$$ off and took LONG breaks between my sets of squats. I didn't get a proper meal in before hand. Kaz Presses were rockin'! Arms are getting very hard and big.

What is a Kaz Press? I'm not down on all the current-day bodybuilding lingo...

Lumiel
10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
It's a close-grip bench press done on a Smith Machine bringing the bar down to the neck but allowing the biceps to naturally stop the range of motion. Keep the elbows tucked against the body and press the bar up. INCREDIBLE exercise for the triceps. Thanks to TommyBoy and Fuzzy for the tip.

Lumiel
10-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Monday Oct 15, 07 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of motion + Calves

Deadlifts (5x5): 275 lbs
Chest Press (5x5): 175 lbs
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8): 45 lbs

Holy mother of God! I forgot how exhausting deadlifts can be! By the end of my set I barely got the 4th rep out and I was wiped. Didn't stop breathing heavily or sweating for the rest of the routine. It's the next day and EVERYTHING is sore. Wow.

I need to come down on the weight for my 1-arm DB Rows. My form isn't perfect and I'm not feeling it quite right in my lats, so I'm going to bite the bullet and drop the weight in order to have more perfect form.

I was so exhausted by the end of the Chest Press that I was nauseous and unable to finish. I didn't do calves and abs as a consequence.

Noxon
10-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Nice work with the deadlifts Lumiel, 275 5x5 is no joke fo sho.

hulkinout
10-17-2007, 03:31 PM
It's a close-grip bench press done on a Smith Machine bringing the bar down to the neck but allowing the biceps to naturally stop the range of motion. Keep the elbows tucked against the body and press the bar up. INCREDIBLE exercise for the triceps. Thanks to TommyBoy and Fuzzy for the tip.

Ooh...new exercise! *drools*

And it sounds like nothing I've ever done before! *drools on shoes*

Lumiel
10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Tuesday Oct 16, 07 - Lower Body, Emphasizing Quads + biceps

Squats (5x5): 205lbs
Walking Lunges (2x8): +70 lbs
BB Bicep Curl (5x5): 70 lbs

My back was already sore and tired from DLs the day before that doing Squats was exhausting. My back was so tight and exhausted by the end of the Walking Lunges that I couldn't do the Curls for a few minutes. I had to sit down and rest my back. I hope this will change as my back strengthens or I'm going to have to adjust some things. I barely got up the third rep of my 4th set with the squats.

Lumiel
10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Here are my latest progress pics. You can see how the asymmetry problems in my back evened out and how my arms, shoulders and calves have taken off. Once I loose the fat I'll be a nice "V" shape.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2010-14-07/frontbicep.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2010-14-07/backbicep.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/lworkout%20progress%2010-14-07/atspread.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2010-14-07/calves.jpg

I took a pic of my legs but they don't show much definition at all because I'm fat. hehehe.

hulkinout
10-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Looking solid Lumiel! Great calves too.

Noxon
10-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Great looking workout Lumiel and the progress in your pics is obvious. Shoulders looking massive.

Lumiel
10-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm liking my shoulders too. :-)

hulkinout
10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
They should be big enough soon to bust open some of your sleeves :-)

Lumiel
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
The sleeves are already tightening up. I LOVE THAT!

hulkinout
10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
The sleeves are already tightening up. I LOVE THAT!

That's one of the reasons my namesake's HULK *rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip* :evillaugh:

Lumiel
10-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Thursday October 18, 07 - Upper Body, Vertical plane of motion + Calves

Chins (5x5): -80 lb assist
Military Press (5x5): 100 lbs
Close-grip Pull Downs (3x8): 150 lbs
Lateral Raises (3x8): 25 lb dbs*
Standing Calf Raises (3x8): 225 lbs

Good work out. Upped my Military Press and WOW I really feel it in my shoulders. Might also have to do with the fact that I had two vaccines in my shoulders the day prior. I lowered the weight on my pull downs to really have perfect form and I'm glad I did. I need to swap out the lateral raises with another exercise. I can't seem to get above 25 lbs on these things, and yet, I can military press 100 lbs no problem. I think it's the leverage issue. Perhaps I should try Arnold Presses instead?

hulkinout
10-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Lateral raises are an iso exercise; presses involve all three heads to some degree although they're predominantly the strongest, which is the front head, so don't expect your laterals to approach your pressing strength at all.

Arnolds primarily stress the front heads, just like regular presses, so you want something to stress the medial delts, which are the heads that give you that illusion of shirt-stretching WIIIIIIIDENESS.

Also remember moving from 25 lbs to say 30 lbs on a db exercise is a 20% increase in weight, a much smaller increment than if you're adding 5 lbs to say a 200-300 lb bench or squat. And if you're gym's db's don't go up in 2.5 increments (which is still 10%), progress will come considerably slowly. have patience.

"Hulk like lateral raises."

Lumiel
10-29-2007, 03:58 PM
This last week was a nightmare with all of the smoke in Southern California. I could barely breathe let alone work out. Add to that the fact that my workout buddy has been sick all week. I only went twice last week - just did big compound movements on one day: DL, BP, Squats and hit the other big compounds on the second day: RDLs, Front Squats, Pull ups, Military Presses. Was a ****ty workout week. No strength, no endurange.

But, I'm getting back on track this week. And starting on November 1st I'll be cutting. My goal is to drop 40 lbs to get down to 195. Any advice? I just plan on doing Built's carb cycling. I've done Atkins in the past and have experience with finding low carb foods and such so it should be easy.

Lumiel
10-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Monday October 29, 2007 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion + Calves/Abs

Bench Press (5x5): 175 lbs
1-arm DB Rows (3x8): 60 lbs
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8): 45 lbs
Seated Calf Raise (3x10): 135 lbs
Weighted crunches (3x15): +45 lbs

What a great work out. It really makes a difference when the air is clear! Deadlifts felt great, although I need to invest in better shoes (Chuck Taylors). I came down on my 1-arm DB rows in order to perfect my form. Next week I should up my Incline DB Chest Press.

When in the middle of my last Bench Press set some a$$clown decided to stand over me and start yelling at me "GOOD FORM, YOU GOT IT! PUSH PUSH, FASTER UP, SLOW DOWN NOW!" I told him to not help me and he said something stupid about not helping me but encouraging me. I racked the bar, turned around and told him "Don't EVER talk to someone when they're in the middle of a lift. If I would have dropped that weight I would have turned around and cracked the barbell across your *****ing skull. Got it?"

He later came over to apologize saying he was just trying to encourage me and I told him that I didn't need his encouragement and that all is forgiven. He wouldn't let it rest until I just silently pointed to the bench he was working at with a pissed off face essentially telling him to go away. Turns out he's the local crazy guy who doesn't really understand boundaries. What a loon.

*** I start my cut on November 1 - Any suggestions of things to keep in mind? ***

Lumiel
10-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Tuesday October 30, 07 - Lower Body emphasizing Quads + biceps

Full Squats (5x5): 205 lbs
Walking Lunges (2x8): +70 lbs
BB Bicep Curls (5x5): 70 lbs

Wasn't in the mood to go, but I did and had an excellent work out. I COULD raise my Squat poundage next week, but I'll be cutting, so not sure that I can. I have to change out walking lunges. After doing Deads on Monday and Squats on Tuesday, my erector spinae are blown out and the walking lunges kill them. I can barely stand because they are so tired. I might have to substitute leg presses (ugh, I know).

Lumiel
11-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Thursday, November 1, 2007 - Upper Body Vertical Plane of Motion + Calves

Chins (5x5): -80 lb assist
Military Press (5x5): 100 lbs
Close-grip Lat Pulldowns (3x8): 150 lbs
Lateral DB Raises (3x8): 25 lb dbs

TODAY BEGINS MY CUT!!!!

Current Weight: 235 lbs
Goal Weight: 200 lbs

Today's FitDay.com dietary journal:
Total Calories: 2505
Fat: 81g, 31%
Carbs: 171g, 25%
Protein: 256g, 44%

How does that look for a cut? I managed to go through the day, I did get a bit hungry at times but nothing unbearable. I'm carb cycling, so every meal is Protein + Fat, except the meal before I work out and the meal after I work out which are Protein + Carbs. (Like Built recommended in her blog.)

My first semi-depleted work out wasn't so bad. I did notice a bit of a lack of strength, but I powered through it. Having my work out buddy back helped a lot.

Noxon
11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Good looking workout Lumiel. Just out of curiosity, were you right around maintenance before, and did you track cals for a week prior to beginning your cut? Can't really comment on the diet except to say that your macros look good for 2500 cals if that is indeed what you should be aiming for.

Lumiel
11-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey Noxon,

Yes I tracked before. My maintenance calories were around 3200. I used the old equation of 11-12 x body weight in lbs. = cut calories. So I'm aiming for 2500-2800. If you have other sources or guidelines for a cut, please let me know. i can use any advice here. I've managed to lose three pounds in the last 5 days, so that's good. :-)

Lumiel
11-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Monday, November 6, 2007 - Upper Body Horizontal Plane of Motion + Calves

1-arm DB Rows (3x8): 60 lb db
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8): 45 lbs dbs

Starting Weight: 235 lbs
Current Weight: 232 lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT LOST: 3 lbs

Lifting while under your maintenance calories is interesting. You're doing well until that last set when you just can't seem to even muster the bravery to lift. hehe. I had a good work out. DL's are wonderful. Didn't actively track my calories so much this weekend, and actually cheated a lot, but still lost 3 lbs. That's nice. hehehe.

Tracking in FitDay is kind of hard because I usually go out to eat for lunch. I just try to pick the right options for me and do the best I can.

Built
11-06-2007, 06:19 PM
As your cut progresses, drop the 5x5s down to 3x5s. Helps you keep the iron on the bar.

Lumiel
11-06-2007, 06:26 PM
OK... so if I find myself unable to finish the 5x5's drop them down to 3x5's but should I also up the weight some?

Built
11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
If you can you should yes.

Intensity is more important than volume.

Lumiel
11-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks! I'll start doing that on my next upper body day.

Lumiel
11-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Tuesday, November 7, 2007 - Lower Body emphasizing Quads + Biceps

Squats (5x5): 205 lbs*
Leg Curls (3x10): 90 lbs (need to go up next week)
Leg Press (3x10): 270 lbs
BB Bicep Curls (5x5): 70 lbs*
Hammer Curls (3x8): 25 lbs*

Current Weight: 233 lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT LOST: 2 lbs

I gained back a pound. Not fretting it though. Seems like a daily fluctuation thing. I've decided to take the asterisked items above and increase the weight but lower the reps focusing on intensity over volume next time around.

Didn't care for the Leg Press one bit. It placed too much stress on the lower back. I'm going to do leg extensions instead.

Lumiel
11-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Thursday, November 8, 2007 - Upper Body Vertical Plane of Motion + Calves

Chins (3x5): -70 lbs assist
Military Press (3x5): 110 lbs
Close-grip pull downs (3x6): 160 lbs
Lateral DB shoulder raises (3x6): 25 lbs
Standing Calf Raises (3x10): 240 lbs

Current Weight: 233 lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT LOST: 2 lbs

Depleted workouts suck. I did up my weights but lower my reps and I was still having a loss of strength in lifting. I'm sure it will be ok and I will get used to it. I'm going to start doing SS cardio tomorrow hopefully working up to HIIT.

Noxon
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
On leg press, try raising your foot placement and spacing your feet as far apart as you comfortably can. Then arch your lower back and get your tailbone against the padding... I have found that this puts little strain on the back, and if you control your ROM by not going so deep that you bounce, it is pretty easy on the knees. That's how I leg press... It has worked wonders for my squat and deadlift. Anyway, give it a shot and let me know how it goes! :) Nice workout bud.. Stick with the diet. All will be well.

Lumiel
11-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Friday, November 9, 2007 - Lower Body emphasizing hamstrings + triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (3x5): 265 lbs
Front Squats (3x6): 165 lbs
Bench Press (3x6):175 lbs
Dips (3x5): - 80 lb assist
Kaz Press (3x6): 115 lbs

Doing less sets, but heavier weight. Makes a big difference in my ability to get through it and still feel more intensity in my workouts.

Lumiel
11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Monday, November 12, 2007 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of motion + calves

Deadlifts (3x5): 295 lbs
Bench Press (3x5): 185 lbs
1-arm db rows (3x6): 70 lbs
Incline DB Chest Press (3x6): 50 lb dbs

Current Weight: 229 lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT LOST: 6 lbs

I've already lost 6 lbs - so freaking exciting!!! The deads were rockin' today. Bench is suffering from a weird pain I have in my upper right chest near the clavicle. It gets stuck and hurts like hell until I roll my shoulder around then the clavicle clicks and it doesn't hurt any more. Any idea what's going on here?

Do my sets/reps look ok considering that I'm in a cut?

Noxon
11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Fantastic deadlifts man.

Do my sets/reps look ok considering that I'm in a cut?
Only you can be the judge of that. "Can I up the intensity?" is the question to ask yourself. If the answer is no, then you're golden.

Lumiel
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Tuesday November 13, 2007 - Lower Body, Emphasizing Quads + biceps

Squats (3x5): 215 lbs
Leg Curls (3x8): 100 lbs
Leg Press (3x8): 300 lbs + sled (however much it weighs)
BB Bicep Curl (3x5): 75 lbs

15 min steady state cardio @ 4mph

Lumiel
11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Thursday November 15, 07 - Upper Body, Vertical Plane of Motion + calves

Chin ups (3x5): -70 lbs assist
Military Press (3x5): 110 lbs
Close-grip lat pull downs (3x6): 160 lbs
Lateral DB raises (3x6): 25 lbs

I somehow gained weight... I'm not following my diet properly. I need to start being more militant about it.

Lumiel
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Friday November 16, 07 - Lower Body Emphasizing Hamstrings + Triceps

Took Noxon's advice and felt the intensity wasn't enough. Went back to my old rep and set numbers at the higher weights I've been lifting.

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 285 lbs
Front Squats (3x8): 175 lbs
Bench Press (3x8): 175 lbs
Dips (5x5): - 80 lb assist

I decided to add in bench press on day four to work my triceps harder and to work my chest twice a week. My chest is lagging behind everything else.

Lumiel
11-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Monday November 19, 07 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion + Calves

Deadlifts (5x5): 295 lbs
1-arm DB rows (3x8): 70 lbs db
Incline DB chest press (3x8): 50 lb dbs
Seated Calf Raise (3x10): 145 lbs

Current Weight: 228 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 7 lbs

DEADLIFTS!!!! FCK YEAH!!! God I love this exercise. I felt so euphoric and wonderful afterward I didn't sleep until 2am! Next week I'm breaking the 300 lbs barrier. BP is getting better... just need to keep pushing through it.

I need to find better food options for lunch time... and these betches I work with need to stop having bowls of candy on their desks!!!

Herandi
11-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Great deadlifting Lumiel. If you're getting 300 for reps i'm pretty sure you could max out at least 375 or so

Lumiel
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
The thought of doing a max deadlift terrifies me. hehehe. I'm really amazed that my back can pull so much weight considering I started out all asymmetrical and plagued by scoliosis.

Noxon
11-22-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't think it's a max deadlift if it isn't somewhat terrifying. ;) Great work this past week Lumiel.

Built
11-22-2007, 10:39 PM
You have really come a long way Lumiel - you sound so happy!

Lumiel
11-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Friday November 23, 07 - Lower Body, emphasizing Hamstrings + triceps

Thank you Marianne for this routine. I've never been happier with my body. :-) And thanks to all of you for your support.

Front Squats (3x8): 175 lbs

15 min Cardio - a little bit of interval with two three minute running phases

Current Weight: 225 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 10 lbs

Everything went really well, although I have to come down on the Front Squats. I couldn't even attempt my third set, I was too damned exhausted. Hitting chest twice a week is really working out well - my bench is increasing, my triceps are getting stronger. I never thought I'd gain strength on my cut! hehehe. I need to go up with Dips and Kaz Presses next week.

I had two three-minute running portions in my cardio just to get my heart used to the heavier work it will be doing once I get to HIIT.

I might post progress pics in the next few weeks.

Lumiel
11-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Monday, November 26, 2007 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion + Calves

Deadlifts (5x5): 305 lbs !!!! My personal record
Bench Press (5x5): 185 lbs
1-arm DB Rows (3x8): 70 lb db
Incline DB Chest Press (3x8): 50 lb dbs
Seated Calf Raise (3x10): 145 lbs

Current Weight: 225 lbs
Target Weight: 200 lbs
Total Weight Lost: 10 lbs

Hit a new personal record on Deadlifts - first time passing 300 lbs. My next goal will be 400 lbs, maybe sometime next year? My strength is good. I keep using the guideline of "Am I feeling enough intensity?" as to whether I'm pulling enough weight during this cut. Admittedly, I'm not being really militant about the cut. I'm cheating on foods left and right, just eating LESS in general and making sure that I'm getting my protein requirements every day. Hey, it seems to be working... can't complain.

Lumiel
11-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Tuesday, November 27, 07 - Lower Body, emphasizing Quadriceps + Biceps

Squats (5x5): 215 lbs
Leg Curls (3x10): 100 lbs
Leg Press (3x8): 300 lbs + weight of sled
BB Bicep Curl (5x5): 75 lbs
Hammer Curls (3x8): 25 lb dbs

I'm sick with a cold and still had a great workout. Squats were solid. I'm so glad I lowered my weight and started taking them ALL THE WAY DOWN (ATF) - now my legs are so much stronger. I see clowns doing 1/16th squats and just roll my eyes now - my work out partner feels the same way. hehehe. Leg Press is lame - just don't really feel a work out from it. I might switch to doing Leg extensions instead. I remember how much they used to hurt like hell back in the day. I wonder how much I can do now. :-)

I'm headed to Toronto, Canada on Thursday night so I'll be off for a week. Wish me luck... I better have this cold kicked by then! This warm-blooded California guy is going to freeze his arse off!

Noxon
11-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Leg presses can be great... You just have to take them heavier than you think possible! 7pps go!

Seriously, we squat about the same for reps (granted you're cutting so your numbers are lower, but all things being equal...), but I do leg press sets in the 500-700 lb ranges. Make it intense. It's a particularly nice exercise for you since you have scoliosis and it puts little strain on your back. If you can squat 315 for reps and you weigh 220 lbs then leg pressing 550 for 8 reps should be cake dude!!

Here's another tip... When doing 5x5, if you can do 3x5 at a given weight and you still have another 2x5 in you, then it's too damn easy... Try to make your last sets so intense that you can only get 3 or 4 reps. Same applies to 3x8. Remember, it's all about progression and intensity in training. After a couple weeks, those super intense 3 or 4 reps become an intense 5 reps, and then the cycle repeats. Up your weights as you go along in a workout, not just week by week. Push yourself man. You are doing great... Just some friendly motivation. :)

Also, I think the way you are dieting is best. No need to be extreme about it. Diet comfortably and the results last.

Lumiel
12-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Here's another tip... When doing 5x5, if you can do 3x5 at a given weight and you still have another 2x5 in you, then it's too damn easy... Try to make your last sets so intense that you can only get 3 or 4 reps. Same applies to 3x8.

Yep, that's what I've been doing. My lifting partner and I laugh because after we finish the second of five sets we're always convinced that we'll need to go up in weight the next week, but once we get to the end of the third set and the middle of the fourth set, we're having a really tough time getting the third or fourth rep out. hehehe. By the end of the exercise we're only able to get out three reps and we're huffing, puffing and needing a break. hehehe. :-)

I just document it as (5x5) because that's what I aim for when realistically I'm doing, 5-5-5-4-3 or 5-5-5-3-3.

Lumiel
12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Thursday December 6, 07 - Upper body, Vertical Plane of Motion + Calves

Chin ups (5x5): -70 lbs assist
Military Press (5x5): 110 lbs
Close-grip lat pulldowns (3x8): 160 lbs
Lateral DB Raise (3x8): 25 lbs dbs

I'm missing the last few reps in the last set or two so I know I'm at about the right weight for a cut. I might come down on my Military Press as I had a VERY hard time even lifting it. Calves can go up.

Lumiel
12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Friday, December 7, 2007 - Lower Body emphasizing hamstrings + triceps

Front Squats (3x8): 165 lbs
Dips (5x5): -70 lb assist

Current Weight: 223 lbs
Total Weight lost: 12 lbs

Good workout, but my Dips were REALLY weak after my Bench Press. I think I need to reorder the lifts to be: RDLS, Bench, Front Squats, Dips, Kaz Presses - to give my triceps a chance to rest more before I dive into Dips.

I'm actually writing this on Monday and I'm STILL SORE from this work out. Holy crap! My hammies hurt like HELL! That's what I get for taking 5 days off to go on a vacation to Toronto!

Lumiel
12-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Progress Pics from December 8, 07.

These are my first pics since I started cutting back in November. I notice the difference. Do you?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2012-8-07/frontdoublebi.jpg
Front, double-bicep

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2012-8-07/backdoublebi.jpg
Back double-bicep

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2012-8-07/latspread.jpg
Lat spread

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2012-8-07/frontrelaxed.jpg
Front relaxed

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2012-8-07/legs.jpg
Quads/legs

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/revhyperion/workout%20progress%2012-8-07/calves.jpg
Calves/legs

hulkinout
12-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Looking good, Lumiel! Great work, man!

Noxon
12-15-2007, 08:34 AM
I second that. Nice results, Lumiel.

Lumiel
12-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Thursday, December 13, 2007 - Upper Body Vertical Plane of Motion + Calves

Chin ups (5x5): -70 lbs assist
Military Presses (5x5): 110 lbs
Lateral DB Raises (3x8): 25 lbs dbs

Lumiel
12-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Friday December 14, 2007 - Lower Body, Hamstring Dominant +chest and Triceps

Romanian Deadlifts (5x5): 285 lbs*

*Time to increase weight

Lumiel
12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Monday, December 17, 2007 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion

Deadlifts (5x5): 315 lbs!!!
1-arm DB Rows (3x8): 70 lbs db
Incline DB press (3x8): 50 lb dbs

Cutting Progress (or lack there of):
Starting Weight: 235
Current Weight: 223
Goal Weight: 200
Total Weight lost: 12 lbs

Today took FOREVER to get through in terms of time. The gym was really crowded, so we cut out the calves and abs.

I decided to push for 315 on the deads - only 10lbs more than last time - and I did it! YESSSS!!!! Three plates on each side of the bar is so freaking awesome. Even one of the personal trainers came over and asked how much I pulled on the DL and when I told him his eyes were the size of saucers. hehe. And I still consider myself average compared to the monster pulls guys do on this site.

I also got myself a pair of Chuck Taylors for the gym and they make such a difference. I feel rooted to the floor and much more stable when lifting now.

I've been really non-disciplined about my cut and finally hit a plateau. I'm not cutting so much as recomposing my body at this point. I want to push it a bit further, so I'm going to really watch my intake of carbs and see if I can get myself down to 200 by February. We'll see!

Also bought myself some 1000mg Fish Oil capsules that I'm going to start taking daily. Need to watch out for my heart's health and get my cholesterol down.

Lumiel
01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!!!

Well, on Jan 1. I celebrated my 32nd birthday. Had lots of fun and enjoyed 10 days off of work. During that time I mainly stuck to my diet and managed to get to the gym twice (not nearly enough) because my gym had weird holiday hours. Back to work on Jan 3 and back to the gym.

Thursday Jan 3, 08 - Upper body, Vertical Plane of Motion + Calves

Chin ups (5x5): -60 lbs assist
Military Press (5x5): 110 lbs
Close-grip lat pulldowns (3x8): 160 lbs
Lateral DB Raise (3x8): 25 lbs dbs

Cutting progress:
Current Weight: 221 lbs
Total Weight lost: 14 lbs

My cut is going a lot slower than I had imagined, but on the plus side, I look a lot thinner and feel great. People are starting to comment on how I look like I've lost weight... D'ya think?

I'm VERY sore today after this workout. That's my punishment for not being consistent with my workouts over my vacation. Starting Monday I'm mixing up the exercises in my routine to shock my muscles again.

bjohnso
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Deadlifts look awesome, way to go with that 315! Also, your quads and calves look pretty beastly!

Built
01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Happy New Year!

I can't freaking BELIEVE your deadlifts! WOW!

You're doing really, really well bud! Anything I can do to help with the cut? You tried any interval work yet, complexes, sprints... ?

Lumiel
01-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Hehe thanks! I now have a "Body By Built™®©!" :-) I'm working my way up to HIIT. Right now, if I can make it through 02 min of SS cardio and not feel like my legs are falling off, then I'm doing pretty good. :-D Eventually I'll get up to it.

I want to lose more weight, but it's kind of hard to with the selection of food I have to work with. I know if I REALLY cut down my carbs I'll drop it fast, but I'm afraid to lose any muscle. I've done Atkins in the past with GREAT results, but just don't want to loose the pretty pecs I got. :-) Any suggestions?

Built
01-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Have you tried carb cycling yet?

With regard to cardio, try the hill repeats once a week to bring up your capacity quickly, and try the "8 seconds of doom (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/8-seconds-of-glory/)" thing on the bicycle.

Do the hill repeats at a walk. I do 3.5 mph, 5% grade for the recovery minute and hills at 9%, 10%, 11%... start them anywhere you need to. Read How to do Cardio if you Must (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/how-to-do-cardio-if-you-must/)for more on these.

Lumiel
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Have you tried carb cycling yet?

With regard to cardio, try the hill repeats once a week to bring up your capacity quickly, and try the "8 seconds of doom (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/8-seconds-of-glory/)" thing on the bicycle.

Do the hill repeats at a walk. I do 3.5 mph, 5% grade for the recovery minute and hills at 9%, 10%, 11%... start them anywhere you need to. Read How to do Cardio if you Must (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/how-to-do-cardio-if-you-must/)for more on these.

I'm always starstruck when you comment in my journal. :-) I'm going to start doing the hill repeats this week. And I'm currently carb cycling - not very religiously, but for the most part.

Lumiel
01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
In order to shock my body some and hopefully generate some new gains, I'm switching up my routine. It's now going to look as follows:

Monday: (Upper body, horizontal plane)
Deadlifts (5x5)
Bench Press (5x5)
Bent over barbell rows (3x8)
Incline Bench Press (3x8)
Face Pulls (3x12) (optional - can opt out but would be nice to build up rear delts)
Seated Calf Raises (3x10)

Tuesday: (Lower body, quad dominant + biceps)
Back Squats (5x5)
Leg Curls (3x10)
Leg Press or Extension (3x8)
Preacher EZ-Curls (5x5)
Cable Bicep Curls palm-down (3x8)
Cardio (20 min)

Wednesday: Rest (optional cardio)

Thursday: (Upper Body, vertical plane)
Pull Ups (5x5) - wider grip
Arnold Presses (5x5)
Pull Downs (3x8) - wider grip
Wide-grip Upright Rows to chest (3x8)
Standing Calf Raises (3x10)
Planks or Crunches (3x15)

Friday: (Lower Body, hamstring dominant + triceps)
Romanian Deadlifts (5x5)
Low-incline Bench Press (5x5)
Front Squats (3x8)
Kaz Press (5x5)
Pull throughs (3x8)
Incline seated French Press (3x8)
Cardio (20 min)

Saturday/Sunday: rest (optional cardio & abs)

Lumiel
01-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Monday Jan 7, 2008 - (Upper body, horizontal plane of motion + calves)

Deadlifts (3x5): 315 lbs (had to do 3x5 because of the cut)
Bent over barbell rows (3x8): 135* lbs
Incline Bench Press (3x8): 125 lbs
Face Pulls (3x12): 90 lbs
Seated Calf Raises (3x10): 145 lbs

Cutting Progress:
Current Weight: 220 lbs
Total Weight Lost: 15 lbs

This is my first time trying out the new routine. I still need to work out the right weight to be using on the BB rows and the Face Pulls. I could only do 3 sets of 5 on my deads - I tried a fourth set, got one rep up and couldn't even get the second rep up so I stopped before I strained myself.

My Bench Press stalls right about half way up. I'm seeing if there's some kind of exercise I can do to strengthen that part of the lift. Any suggestions?

On the positive side of things, I'm down to 220 pounds!!! I look and feel great and I'm excited to drop these last 20 lbs. Let's see if I can do it by the end of February. I'll post progress pics sometime soon.

bjohnso
01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
That sucks about the deadlifts man, I can only really do one set before I'm worn out.

You can probably do some board presses, pin presses, of bench with chains to get past that sticking point. Be careful with those pin presses though (I think that's what they're called), I really ****ed up my shoulder doing those.

Lumiel
01-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Tuesday Jan 8, 2008 - (Lower body, emphasizing quad + biceps)

Back Squats (5x5): 215 lbs
Leg Press (3x8): 340 lbs*
Preacher Curls (5x5): 30lbs + bar (I don't know how much the EZ curl bar weighs)
Cable reverse grip bicep curls (3x8): 60 lbs*

Cardio:
Hills
2 min 1% grade warmup
4 min 4% grade
1 min 1% grade
4 min 5% grade
1 min 1% grade
4 min 6% grade
1 min 1% grade
4 min 7% grade
2 min 1% grade cooldown

*Increase weight next time around.

Holy hills! Sweet christ they are tough. I was high, spinning and floating after the Hill routine. I can see how they'll prepare me for HIIT. The other changes are good. Preacher Curls are putting a lot of stress on the elbow, so I'm trying to work that out. I don't know how much the EZ curl bar weighs, but I'm guessing it's 25 lbs... anyone know?

I made it through most of my squats, but got stuck in the pit on rep 3 of the last set. My muscles were done. I was running a really good cut today too - stuck to my caloric goals and had very little carb during the day (strictly before and after work out). Wow I felt the difference.

bjohnso
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Good job with the cardio. Ughhh, I have to start that soon.

I weighed an EZ bar at my gym and it was like 17lbs. It's all relative though, isn't it? If you're making progress you're making progress.

Lumiel
01-14-2008, 04:02 PM
January 10, 2008 - Upper Body, Vertical Plane of Motion + Calves

Chin ups (pronated wide grip) (5x5): -90 lbs assist
Arnold Press (5x5): 40 lb dbs
Lat Pulldowns (pronated wide grip) (3x8): 150 lbs
Wide-grip upright rows (3x8): 90 lbs*
Planks (1x10): hold for 15 sec, rest for 10 sec, repeat

I'm still figuring out the right weight amount to lift on the new lifts. Arnold Presses are great, but I feel like the db's might slip out of my hands - odd. I need to come up on the upright rows in terms of weight. Planks are great too! WOW... more of a general core workout than an ab exercise, but I prefer them.

Using the wider grip on these exercises sure does force me to use my lats more and doesn't allow my biceps to do as much work, I've noticed, so my relative lifts went down compared to last time.

Lumiel
01-14-2008, 04:40 PM
January 11, 2008 - Lower Body, Emphasizing Hamstrings + Triceps

RDL's (5x5): 295 lbs
Kaz Press (5x5): 80 lbs*
Pull-throughs (3x8): 140 lbs
Incline Skull Crushers (3x8): 70 lbs*
Steady State Cardio: 20 min

Cutting Progress:
Current Weight: 219 lbs
Total Weight Lost: 16 lbs

Need to increase weight on the Kaz Press and Skull Crushers. The extra bench presses on day 4 are helping my triceps get a lot stronger. The pull throughs were not very effective and the stack of weight is not enough for me to get the kind of workout I need for my hammies, so I'm going to replace these with Good Mornings instead.

Lumiel
01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
January 12, 2008 - Cardio

Hill interval Cardio:

2 min warm up at 1% grade
4 min at 4%
1 min at 1%
4 min at 5%
1 min at 1%
4 min at 6%
1 min at 1%
4 min at 7%
2 min at 1% cool down

Built
01-14-2008, 09:09 PM
What treadmill speed do you use for these, bud?

I do 'em at a fast walk (3.7 mph last time) but at a steeper incline. Are you jogging them?

Lumiel
01-15-2008, 02:16 AM
It depends on the angle. My 1 min rests are typically about 3.5 mph and my hills are higher. If I recall, my 4% was at 4.2 mph, 5% was 4 mph, 6% was 3.8 mph and 7% was 3.7 mph.

I'm not jogging, but I am walking as fast as I possibly can. Should I be jogging? I'm not sure if my heart's ready for it yet and I do have some worries about jogging and possibly messing up my knees or feet. Any suggestions? (And I hate those ellipticals... I prefer a treadmill)

Herandi
01-15-2008, 06:49 AM
doing great in here lumiel and nice deadlifts!

Built
01-15-2008, 08:06 AM
I personally don't jog. My body hates me when I jog.

Fast walk is perfect. I'm always curious what combination of speed and hill people use for these. You're doing great. :)

Lumiel
01-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah I feel like my legs will fall of from walking so fast, but when I jog, I feel like my heart is going to drop out of my chest! hehehe. I'm glad I'm doing this right! I'm doing more hills tonight.

Lumiel
01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Monday January 14, 2008 - Upper Body, Horizontal Plane of Motion + Calves

Deadlifts (5x5): 315 lbs
Bent over BB Rows (3x8): 165 lbs ^
Incline Bench Press (3x8): 125 lbs ^
Face Pulls (3x12): 90 lbs ^

This trip to the gym took almost 1.5 hours. It was packed with new year's resolution goers. I wish they would just realize that they are going to break their promises to themselves and get out of the gym! It's too crowded!!!

Every lift that has a ^ next to it has to go up in weight next week.

Lumiel
01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - Lower body, emphasizing Quads + Biceps

Back Squats (5x5): 215 lbs
Leg Press (3x8): 360 lbs + sled
Spider Curls (5x5): 30 lbs + EZ curl bar ^
Cable Bicep curls (pronated grip) (3x8): 70 lbs ^

Cutting Progress:
Current Weight: 219 lbs
Total Weight Lost: 16 lbs

Cardio: (Hills)
2 min Warm up: 1% @ 3.5 mph
4 min: 4% @ 4.1 mph
1 min: 1% @ 3.5 mph
4 min: 5% @ 3.9 mph
1 min: 1% @ 3.5 mph
4 min: 6% @ 3.5 mph
quit!

I'm having a problem when I do cardio. The muscle on the front of your lower leg (I think it's the tibialis anterior) starts burning like a betch! So bad that I had to actually stop. Is this just a function of this muscle being completely out of shape? Is there something I'm missing?

Also, I decided to replace the preacher curls with spider curls. They are basically the same thing just on the other side of the preacher pad so you can hang your arms completely straight down. They put a lot less pressure on my elbow and worked my arms better, so I'm going to stick with them here on out.

Squats were really strong today. I even had a few lookers-on waiting to see me lift. hehehe.

Built
01-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Spider curls are a good choice - try 'em with dumbbells, one arm at a time.

Lumiel
01-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Oh yeah... good idea to make sure I have equal balance in strength.... will do!

Lumiel
04-11-2008, 05:49 PM
So I haven't posted in a billion years, but I just wanted to write an update here. I had about a month and a half of health problems in February/March and that really put a kink in my workouts. First I tweaked my back doing DL's in early February so I took two weeks off. That was followed up by a weird skin condition I developed on my hands in March. All the skin started peeling off of my fingers, then the palms of my hands, then my elbows, next my knees then my feet. I went to the dermatologist and it's being treated. She thinks its a form of psoriasis. This had me out of the gym for almost a month. Between my hands cracking open and being too painful to form a fist, and a nasty flu I acquired, I was unable to lift.

Thankfully, my hands are better, I'm done being sick and my back is in good shape.

I'm lifting again, have managed to cut down to 213 pounds and stay there. Now it's time to push past that and be at 200 by the time summer rolls around. Then I start a nice clean bulk and pack on those traps and that chest I've always wanted.

Lumiel
05-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow, the health problems persist. My hands are still peeling. They've slowed down some but I think they aught to stop this crap soon. I'm staying around 213-214 pounds. I'm back at the gym again after a back nerve pinch.

I'm seriously thinking of stopping my cut and just going back on a slow bulk. I've lost a lot of discipline with my cut and I'm tired of the crappy workouts. Last night I had a good day 1 of my BGB routine. My chest is clearly my weakest part so I'm going to start hitting it harder. I'm doing cardio 4 times a week now to get my heart in shape. I'm doing Hill routines as Built recommends and now that I'm used to them I think I'm ready to try out some HIIT.

I also think I might go off of BGB just for a few months to try something new and see if I can shock my body into some growth. In the last year I've learned that some exercises I do really well with (back squat, deadlift, kaz presses, dips, barbell curls, incline chest presses, military presses) while others I see little to no results (chest press, cable push downs, spider curls or preacher curls, chin ups) and there are some that I cannot physically do because of the curvature of my spine (front squats) without causing myself some kind of injury. So now I think I want to go on a whole body type of routine to build some big mass. Any recommendations?

Lumiel
07-08-2008, 11:16 AM
So I started a PSMF at the end of June to lose some fat by July 19th. My goal is to get down to about 200lbs at 9% bf. So far I'm doing ok. The ephedrine/caffeine supplement helps with the mental fog that kicks in as part of the PSMF. I don't really have a problem with hunger as the protein meals are very satisfying. I still have a huge addiction and weakness for sweets, especially cookies and other baked goods. I've been good on the diet, but the moment I see a bowl of cookies I want to dive into them.

The depleted workouts suck too, and sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out or puke afterward, but I'm sticking to them. I don't want to lose my muscle this time around.

bjohnso
07-08-2008, 07:55 PM
So I started a PSMF at the end of June to lose some fat by July 19th. My goal is to get down to about 200lbs at 9% bf. So far I'm doing ok. The ephedrine/caffeine supplement helps with the mental fog that kicks in as part of the PSMF. I don't really have a problem with hunger as the protein meals are very satisfying. I still have a huge addiction and weakness for sweets, especially cookies and other baked goods. I've been good on the diet, but the moment I see a bowl of cookies I want to dive into them.

The depleted workouts suck too, and sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out or puke afterward, but I'm sticking to them. I don't want to lose my muscle this time around.

Hey Lumiel. Good to see you back. Working out on few carbs sucks, I can't imagine what it's like on no carbs. Keep at it and I think you will have success.

About the skin condition: Have you tried taking cold showers? Using cold water will dry your skin out a lot less than hot water. I have eczema (I think) and when it gets bad I'll take cold showers. Then moisturize a lot.

Lumiel
07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
I've tried everything. Actually it is getting a lot better. I'm not even using the medication any more. The very tips of my fingers still peel a bit, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. It's a form of psoriasis and taking a daily vitamin is helping (and apparently so, too, is the diet!)

I'm down 12 lbs from when I started. Current weight is 213 lbs.

bjohnso
07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
I've tried everything. Actually it is getting a lot better. I'm not even using the medication any more. The very tips of my fingers still peel a bit, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. It's a form of psoriasis and taking a daily vitamin is helping (and apparently so, too, is the diet!)

I'm down 12 lbs from when I started. Current weight is 213 lbs.

You're just a couple pounds lighter than I am. Good job.