PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go?

deeder
06-22-2007, 12:56 PM
So here's the situation. I'm going into my 3rd year of a combined computer science and math degree. Long story short, I don't know if I want to go back to school yet. I don't have a clue what I want to do with that degree, just that it's interesting and I'm pretty good at it.

I've always wanted to travel, but just travelling for the sake of going somewhere doesn't appeal to me right now because then I wouldn't be able to be serious about my training.

An idea that's been floating through my head is moving somewhere for 6 months, a year, who knows how long and just dedicating myself to training for that time. I'd want to be somewhere with a great club and lots of excellent lifters.

If you were me, where would you want to go? Who are some people I should start talking to if I want to approach this seriously?

Unholy
06-22-2007, 01:00 PM
World Gym outside of Columbus Ohio on March 4th 2007. That was a pretty kick ass session with some kick ass lifters.

But on a serious note move into Risks living room. He needs a lifting partner and I hear Australia is purdy nice.

RhodeHouse
06-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Honestly, I would finish school, then go on your quest. Once you have a degree, a lot more doors open up for you. If you take time off, it'll be ridiculously hard to get back in that frame of mind again. I would stick it out. Finish what you've started. It's a great life lesson and a lesson to take with you and your training. See it thru to the end. If you get in the habit of "running away" because you don't feel like it, it'll stay with you your whole life. You have you're whole life to train and be serious about it. You only have a few years to enjoy the lack of responsibility that comes with school. Don't be ghey - stay in school. I know it doesn't rhyme, but I had to make a ghey comment. It's my MO

deeder
06-22-2007, 01:58 PM
World Gym outside of Columbus Ohio on March 4th 2007. That was a pretty kick ass session with some kick ass lifters.

But on a serious note move into Risks living room. He needs a lifting partner and I hear Australia is purdy nice.

I don't even know how to respond to that... Thanks for the input I guess :cool:

Honestly, I would finish school, then go on your quest. Once you have a degree, a lot more doors open up for you. If you take time off, it'll be ridiculously hard to get back in that frame of mind again. I would stick it out. Finish what you've started. It's a great life lesson and a lesson to take with you and your training. See it thru to the end. If you get in the habit of "running away" because you don't feel like it, it'll stay with you your whole life. You have you're whole life to train and be serious about it. You only have a few years to enjoy the lack of responsibility that comes with school. Don't be ghey - stay in school. I know it doesn't rhyme, but I had to make a ghey comment. It's my MO

I definitely see where you're coming from. I also pretty much agree with everything you said. It just feels like I'm going through the motions but not actually accomplishing anything... Sure I'll get my degree and I'll get pretty good grades but what's the point if I don't have any idea what I'm gonna do with it?

Honestly, my head has been all scrambled since my girlfriend left me and it feels like the only thing that I'm passionate about anymore is lifting. I guess that's why part of me wants to just throw myself completely into powerlifting...

TommyBoy
06-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't even know how to respond to that... Thanks for the input I guess :cool:

I definitely see where you're coming from. I also pretty much agree with everything you said. It just feels like I'm going through the motions but not actually accomplishing anything... Sure I'll get my degree and I'll get pretty good grades but what's the point if I don't have any idea what I'm gonna do with it?

Honestly, my head has been all scrambled since my girlfriend left me and it feels like the only thing that I'm passionate about anymore is lifting. I guess that's why part of me wants to just throw myself completely into powerlifting...

My opinion:

1) figure out what you're gonna do with your career
2) finish the degree
3) get a sweet-ass job

Sidior
06-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Even if you don't end up in the field of your degree having one will always help. Finish school and by the time you are done hopefully things will be clearer. If they are not, you still have time to travel or dedicate yourself to lifting but at least you will already have a degree.

sharkall2003
06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
I can't "feel" you, but I think I know what you're talking about, man. If my woman left me I would just lift, eat and sleep.

Having said that: Get your degree. You can do so much more and you'll be able to do plenty of other things later on with that degree. Computer technician, blah blah blah. Plus, you'll make better money and be prepared better for everything.

Good luck, man.

Guido
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
You could always enroll at University of Illinois (Top 5 Computer Science program) and then you could train with me and my Illini Powerlifting crew (WABDL World Champs!). Best of both worlds.

ddurkee
06-22-2007, 07:17 PM
this question is easy to answer. get your degree. it doesn't matter that you don't know right now what you are going to do with it; having it is what counts. a cs/math degree is pretty marketable too.

after you graduate, screw around as much as you want.

waynedang
06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
You could always enroll at University of Illinois (Top 5 Computer Science program) and then you could train with me and my Illini Powerlifting crew (WABDL World Champs!). Best of both worlds.

Good idea Guido!

Other than that stay in school or you will never finish! Trust me. Get the hard part out of the way then do what you want. You have your whole life to lift weights.

Guido
06-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Good idea Guido!

Other than that stay in school or you will never finish! Trust me. Get the hard part out of the way then do what you want. You have your whole life to lift weights.Yep. Plus if you lived here you could train with Wayne sometimes, too, if you wanted. :cool:

saiyanj1n
06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
bro, i am 23, and have been with my fiancee for 3 years. i have a degree and was going to further my education but she wants to start a family and stuff, so i am a sprinkler fitter now, installing fire protection systems. its a great paying job, excellent actually, and great benefits. what i am trying to say is, do what makes you happy. pleasing my fiancee makes me happy. only then will you be able to excel at other things in your life. making her happy is more than any paycheck could buy me.

Unholy
06-22-2007, 11:47 PM
bro, i am 23, and have been with my fiancee for 3 years. i have a degree and was going to further my education but she wants to start a family and stuff, so i am a sprinkler fitter now, installing fire protection systems. its a great paying job, excellent actually, and great benefits. what i am trying to say is, do what makes you happy. pleasing my fiancee makes me happy. only then will you be able to excel at other things in your life. making her happy is more than any paycheck could buy me.

:whip:

Sensei
06-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Another vote for finishing school, THEN going on your adventure. Don't put it off - finish what you've started. Unless you are going on an internship or have an awesome job offer, I think putting off graduation would be stupid.

deeder
06-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Well it seems like the general consensus is be cool, stay in school. I was hoping to get some more exciting responses :p

I probably will end up finishing my degree before I do anything crazy. I've got a scholarship that I'd probably lose if I told them I was just going to go lift weights for a year haha

mickyjune26
06-23-2007, 01:24 PM
While you're finishing your degree, look into paid internships, such as ones in another country. Build more experience, get to know some lifters in another country and see the world.

That would be the best of all worlds.

bjohnso
06-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Don't quit school. My last co-op job was filled with people who majored in engineering for 1 or 2 years and dropped out. Now they make $15/hr at a **** job where they're treated like slaves and they've been working there for 30 years, with at least another 10 to go.

Don't quit school.

sharkall2003
06-23-2007, 03:58 PM

If making someone else happy is what makes you happy, then you're probably not really happy. You don't need to make someone else happy to feel happy. It's an internal thing, really. But, not all of us want to throw our lives away for a relationship when we're that young. We prefer to be educated and actually have something useful for the future. Setting up sprinkler fitters isn't what I would call a secure job.

saiyanj1n
06-23-2007, 04:26 PM
If making someone else happy is what makes you happy, then you're probably not really happy. You don't need to make someone else happy to feel happy. It's an internal thing, really. But, not all of us want to throw our lives away for a relationship when we're that young. We prefer to be educated and actually have something useful for the future. Setting up sprinkler fitters isn't what I would call a secure job.

its actually very secure job, probably as secure as it gets. everyone walks a different path.

Sleepy Guy
06-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Well it seems like the general consensus is be cool, stay in school. I was hoping to get some more exciting responses :p
Hum.. :micro:

Cash out all the money you can get your hands on. Buy a big bag of pot and magic mushrooms. With the leftover money go to the air port and get a last minute flight. Make sure you are nice and high first so that trip to Alaska during the winter sounds cool and go for it.

When the drugs wear out either come home or settle down with one of the fine ladies you met along your way. Oh and try and lift too :strong:

Any better? :lurk:

deeder
06-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Hum.. :micro:

Cash out all the money you can get your hands on. Buy a big bag of pot and magic mushrooms. With the leftover money go to the air port and get a last minute flight. Make sure you are nice and high first so that trip to Alaska during the winter sounds cool and go for it.

When the drugs wear out either come home or settle down with one of the fine ladies you met along your way. Oh and try and lift too :strong:

Any better? :lurk:

Straight out of high school that would have been pretty much what I would have done :cool:

Guido
06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
I think you're making the right choice, deeder. Only 1-2 months to finish your degree is nothing, and nobody will ever be able to take that away from you. Once you're done, you can do whatever you want but you'll always have that diploma. Good luck, man.

deeder
06-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I think you're making the right choice, deeder. Only 1-2 months to finish your degree is nothing, and nobody will ever be able to take that away from you. Once you're done, you can do whatever you want but you'll always have that diploma. Good luck, man.

I'm pretty sure you misread something... I have 2 years left! :whazzup:

Sensei
06-25-2007, 05:18 PM
1 or 2 months, or 1 or 2 years - no big difference either way. Stay the course. Guido's absolutely right - having the degree is a big deal and I know quite a few guys in their 30s and 40s who are one or two years shy of a degree and never, ever finished. They stopped for a lot of different reasons - wanted to save money, go on a vacation, etc. and ALL of them thought it would be easy to go back...