PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a lift addict.

Pages : [1] 2

MJay
06-23-2007, 07:56 AM
CONFESSIONS OF A LIFT ADDICT.
---------------------------------------------
Below is my first post I made when I had a go at bulking. Next couple of pages are following that and then aload of posts where I wasted my time followed then by what I'm currently doing.
At the moment: following BGB, enjoying weightlifting and strength gains and generally making an effort to eat more.
-----------------------------------------------

I entered the weights room about 1.5years ago at school. I'm not sure
why, times were kinda ****y and for some reason reason I felt compelled to go
there. I was your average quiet, small geek with a small group of
friends and I would routinely go up there after school - mostly when it was empty -
and just lift. I never once thought, 'man I'm gonna get big if I keep
this up' or how much I could potentially lift. I just went up there and got on with it.
About half a year ago someone pointed out I had large pecs (excessive
bench I can only assume) and I realised I was somewhat bigger. I wasn't
the biggest or strongest in my year but suddenly I was able to compete.
Since then my confidence and self-esteem has sky-rocketed. I have a
large circle of close friends, my grades have only gotten better and
I've managed to pick up an Army Scholarship along the way.
Weightlifting given me this concept of self-improvement. I must better body, mind and soul. Be bigger, stronger, faster; be smarter, more mentally agile; be happier, have better relationships and interactions with the people around me. But don't get me wrong, I'm still quite lanky, largely weak and even lazy at times but I would be nothing without iron.
I really hold weightlifting responsible for my successes.

That was then, this is now:
Its now summer and I've decided I'm gonna stop pussyfooting around and
do a real routine. I started BGB 3days ago. Its going well, but its
strange to be sticking to a routine someone else made rather than a somewhat poor routine I keep changing.
Its been awkward to implement since I've been moving house. At the moment I don't have a permenant address so I've left my gear in my mates garage. We often train together in everything, cardio, weights, sports specific(rugby mostly), the lot.

ROUTINE

BGB.
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/baby-got-back/
(-thanks for the help Built.)

-brackets represent alternate excercises due to limited equipment. (I have a york bench with squat rack, 2bars, 4dbells, 120kg(266) total. Now have to buy 4more 10kg(22) discs.)
1. Horizontal push pull
- 5x5 bench
- 5x5 deads
- 3x8 incline dumbbell press
- 3x8 bent over rows
+ calves/abs

2. Quad dominant, ham accessory
- 5x5 heavy squats
- 3x8 front squats
- 3x8 pull throughs (SLDLs, Swiss ball curls, GMs)
+ biceps curls

3. Vertical push pull
- 5x5 chins
- 5x5 millies
- 3x8 lat pulldowns (Assisted chins with bands, one arm rows)
- 3x8 arnies
+ calves/abs

4. Ham dominant, quad accessory
- 5x5 SLDLs
- 3x8 GHRs or GMs
- 3x8 split squats, walking lunges or front squats
+ dips

EDIT: This is done across a week. 1,2,rest,3,4,rest,rest. 1st day being Sunday.

FOOD

Food wise I'm not having a planned diet. I don't think its necessary to be honest. Instead, I'm couting cals and macros every so often on consecutive days. I'm eating regularly and excessively (infact I found my upper limits a few days ago.). My diets alot more sound than it used to be and I'm eating more fruit and overall its pretty healthy now.
Really, I'm only concerned with two things: High protein and high cals. That and variety are going to always be in my head when I eat. Gotta beat that blasted maintenance - which is a pain when your young, male and very active.
I'm getting this up in my kitchen:
http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?topic=14508.msg241711#msg241711
This is my motivation, I look at it when I think I've eaten enough:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78823
I'm also getting aload of meal ideas to keep around my kitchen.

SUPPS

I'm ordering soon, its hard with not having a permanent address and net access but I'll make it happen.
I'm getting:
Nitrean, AtLarge - a shake a day as post-training or part of meal.
Meal Replacement bars, Maximuscle - to replace meals when I have crap access to food. I ussually have a bag of nuts or something similar on me when I'm desperate.
I'm also getting am multi, need some reccomendations on them though.
And I currently take _________ (forgotten name) to increase synovial fluid in knees and an omega-like supplement to increase fats used in the brain. (ill post names soon)

CARDIO

Cardios a b**** for me in a different way it is for others. I love pushing myself so I love cardio just as much as weights - I know, its disgusting. Anyway, I've still got boxing once/twice a week, I've still got rowing every week, and I've still got several courses that will be heavy cardio(but more importantly ziltch weights) during the summer.
Originally I was really worried about it all but I've now decided to keep most of it in. Instead, I'm going to be conscious of over-training - trying to manage any leg cardio away from weights to avoid over-training. I'll also probably drop a few sessions, but more important I'm gonna make sure I nail that 8hours+ sleep and eat ALOT more to compensate.

STATS
Height: 6"1
Weight: Almost 12stone (168Lb/76kg)
BF: ???

Think thats pretty much it - I'll edit in anything I've missed.
Now posting last 2days workouts and will try and post as often as I can. And I'll upload some pics soon aswell.

"Pain is temporary."

MJay
06-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I've started on day 3 of BGB because I wanted to get started asap but I also wanted to make my rest days friday and saturday. That means the days I'm most likely to sleeping a little less or away from food or drinking will be on rest days. Ofcourse I shouldn't be doing any of the above and I will do my utmost to avoid it happening but I would just much rather have my rest days then.

20/06/07
Wednesday, day3.
Vertical push/pull.

5X5 Bodyweight Chins

5X5 30kg(66) Military press

1X8 35kg(77) One arm rows
2X8 30kg(66) One arm rows

3X8 10kg(22) Arnold press

1X8 Bench dips
2X8 Full dips

NOTES
Only just managed to squeze out the last rep on chins. A pull bar was one of the first bits of equipment I got, in the course of a year I went from 0 to 15 full reps just doing it when I walked past it.
Alot of movements here I'm not used to (millies, arnies mostly) and I think I hit failure on the last rep of millies. It took me what seemed a minute to get up and while I was struggling, my mate was picking up my phone and just watched me. I was somewhat annoyed.
Weight stayed the same on arnies as well because I'm not really used it, dodgy last reps though.
My mate noted my poor form on my first set of rows - it was crap lets just say. So I decreased it and I'll be sorting that out.
I started doing bench dips but found them easier than last time, I was gonna add plates when I realised I could do full dips off a hanging raise attachment.

CHANGES
Sort out form on one arm rows and millies.
Read http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=579577 to get a judge wether I should change how I load.
Have a bloody good shout at my spotter.

MJay
06-23-2007, 08:23 AM
21/06/07
Thursday, day4.
Ham dominant, quad accessory.

5 57.5kg(127) SLDLs
5 62.5kg(138)
5 67.5kg(149)
5 72.5kg(160)
5 77.5kg(171)

3X8 Glute ham raises

3X8 30kg(66) Walking lunges

3X15 80kg(176) Calve raises

NOTES
SLDLs were awesome, need to make sure of my form though before I up it cos I think I can do alot more.
Did GHR instead of GMs. Need to work on GMs, not quite happy doing them yet.
Walkng lunges were good, walking about with weight on your back like that is quality.
Unsure about calve raises weight I posted, I think I can up it alittle.
My mates dad (whos my rugby coach) pointed out that my right shoulder is higher than my left and I always tilt my head left. I've never noticed it before so I'm having a look at it - think it might be to do with how I used to carry my backpack. Also he agreed my posture had dramatically improved since it was always something people would rip me over. Right now I blame deads and squats for the change.
I've also been doing alot of light cardio without thinking about it because of the move, biking and walking about alot.

CHANGES
Work on GMs so I actually do them.
Check SLDLs, pretty happy with them atm though.
Concentrate more when doing lunges, legs were a little wonky sometimes.
Keep working on posture.
Update weights to Lb for American readers.

MJay
06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
24/06/07
Sunday, day1.
Horizontal push/pull.

5 45kg Bench
5 50kg
5 55kg
5 60kg
5 65kg

5 45kg Deadlifts
5 60kg
5 65kg
5 70kg
5 75kg

3X8 30kg Incline Dumbell Press

8 30kg Bent-over rows
8 35kg
8 45kg

3X15 Hanging leg raises with ankle weights.

NOTES
Last rep of bench my mate almost assisted, he doesn't understand that I can sit under a rep for 6odd seconds and eventually get it up. Its only when I scream for help dammit.
Misread the load for deads to start with, really stupid.
Good judge on predicted lift for inclines, should be able to vary it next time.
Abs work was good, thinking of working out a way to increase the weight and do less reps; there was a serious burn on those last reps.

CHANGES
Concentrate more.
Spend less time overall.
Get weights more accurate for ability (it will come along in a few weeks for all my lifts)

MJay
06-25-2007, 08:45 AM
25/06/07
Monday, day2.
Quad dominant, ham accessory.

5 55kg Squats
5 55kg
5 60kg
5 65kg
5 67.5kg

8 20kg Front squats
8 30kg
8 35kg

8 40kg SLDLs
8 50kg
8 60kg

8 17.5kg Incline bicep curls
7 17kg
6 16kg

NOTES
Overestimated heavy squats alittle - should have played it safe and done same weight as last week - so my last set was 67.5kg rather than target 70kg. It was a good call though since the last rep wasn't quite full.
Front squats I'm seriously not used to and it felt bad enough after heavy squats. So I did a low weight, I'll increase it a little next week.
Still not quite comfortable doing GMs so I did SLDLs.
Overestimated curls and decided to do them on incline.

CHANGES
Work on GM form.
Eat more.
Get more sleep.
Eat cleaner - need more fruit and veg in me.
Get used to front squats.

MJay
06-29-2007, 05:24 AM
27/06/07
Wednesday, day3.
Upper, vertical push/pull.

5X5 bodyweight chins

5X5 30kg Military press

3X8 30kg one arm rows

3X8 20kg Arnold press

3X15 75kg Calf raises

NOTES
Went up to visit relatives so had to take weights with me. Wasn't the greatest session.
Had to do chins on a rusty beam or a splinter covered wooden one, my hands now hate me.
Didn't piss about with changing weights tbh, just got it done - will be different next week.

CHANGES
Get home.

MJay
06-29-2007, 05:33 AM
28/06/07
Thursday, day4.
Ham dominant, quad accessory.

5 57.5kg SLDLs
5 62.5kg
5 67.5kg
5 72.5kg
5 77.5kg

Skipped GMs/GHRs.

3X8 30kg Walking lunges

8 Full dips
2X8 Bench dips

NOTES
Crappy. No where to do GHRs and I really didnt wanna do GMs. I did them anyway, with 20kg on the bar and....THUD. I fell over a little. Real stupid.
Anyways, I just skipped em and did my walking lunges.
Had to do full dips on hay bails which was fine until my hands were feeling completely crap so moved another bail and did bench dips.

CHANGES
Rest up, start next week proparly at home.
SORT OUT GMs!!!!

- I am already sick of food. I really dont want to eat anymore. This feeling wasn't helped when I just read in the paper about this dude who hasn't eaten for 6years. I'm jelous.

MJay
07-01-2007, 06:29 AM
01/07/07
Sunday, day1.
Upper, horizontal push/pull

5 45kg Bench
5 50kg
5 55kg
5 60kg
1 65kg

5 57.5kg Deadlift
5 62.5kg
5 67.5kg
5 72.5kg
5 77.5kg

3X8 30kg Incline dumbell press (30kg total)

8 35kg Bent over rows
8 40kg
8 45kg

2X12 Weighted leg raises

NOTES
Really pissed off about bench! WTF! Immediatly afterwards I really started doubting what I've been doing. Then I realised what I actually had been doing. I had 4/5 hours sleep last night and its been 2nights in a row of poor(as in volume) eating at the end of the day. I'm gonna use that as my excuse and keep progressing. This has really wound me up, but now I think about it poor sleep and eating is a pretty valid excuse and considering the effect BGB has had on me so far I still need lots more of both.
Deadlifts were awesome, upped them 2.5 on standerd deads making them the same as my SLDLs. I'm not sure which should be higher, I'll just keep going nice and gently. Well they were pretty good except for on the last rep of the last set my mates dad walked by and just burst out laughing - really didn't help.
I cut the ab work short cos I thought I really needed some food in me especially considering my breakfast of a biscuit and a sandwhich - not good! I'm doing alright now though, almost enough cals going down and good ratio of macros in my blood.
On the plus side I weighed myself. I'm gonna start setting it a certain time on a certain day so I can measure it accuratly. Anyway, last week I stood at 11.10stone (164Lb) and after a couple of days poor eating it said I was 11.13stone (167Lb). Don't know how much is lean mass but several people have said I'm bigger, and I'm only friggin a week or so in!

CHANGES
Don't be stupid. Eat more. Sleep more.
Work on GMs (more).
Stay focused.

Chubrock
07-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Looks like you've got things organized around here. Definitely work on getting enough sleep. It'll kill a session in a heartbeat.

Question about your journal title. Have you read Cramer's "Confessions of a Street Addict"? The titles are so close together that I had to ask.

MJay
07-01-2007, 07:47 AM
I know, and as if 4/5hours is bad enough - I was sleeping on the floor and kept waking up. I'm really gonna pack that in.
No I haven't, I'll check it out now. I just made up the title but its probably influenced by something I've seen.
I thought it really summed up how I feel about training(weights, cardio, sport specific etc.). I get excited about my next session, I feel like its never enough at the end of most and it really kicked in when I noticed myself shaking and saying to myself 'come on, hurry up' when I was trying to screw the end onto a dumbell. Plus ofcourse the usual comments from the people around your hobby/lifestyle.
"Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated."

MJay
07-02-2007, 08:17 AM
02/07/07
Monday, day2
Quad dominant, Ham accessory.

5 47.5kg Squats
5 52.5kg
5 57.5kg
5 62.5kg
5 67.5kg

8 35kg Front squats
8 40kg
8 40kg

8 35kg SLDLs
8 40kg
8 45kg

3X8 25kg Bicep curls

NOTES
Just ordered supps! Got a tub of Nitrean from AtLarge for a daily shake(post-training primarily) and also I shared an order of meal replacement bar from Maximucle with a friend.
Pretty happy with squats despite not really increasing. Good sets, last set I really had to squeeze it out. My max will be 70kg next week anyway - I figure I'd rather be safe, get the excersise (which is already heavy) and I'll just keep progressing nice and easy, no rushing. As much as I really want to.
Front squats increased today, not as much as they could have done but its a 5kg jump while I'm still getting used to them. Should be hitting what my real lift is next week or week after.
I noticed my abs really tensing up on front squats and I hate how you can't check your foot placing yourself.
Didn't go heavy on SLDLs, I want to be ready to increase on day4.
Little overestimate on arm curls again, but did do it with barbell this time. I really hate curls now. They used to be all I did because I was under the impression I'd be getting huge arms. BGB has completely changed that.
My mate said I should go for a jog with him for warm-up. He said it was 2miles - it was more like 3.5miles with ma-hussive hills. It was alright though, was fairly easy and I beat him(I always beat him when it comes to anything further than 500m).
Still not happy about sleep, real good 9hours tonight!

CHANGES
Work on GM form more.
Start recording cals and macros(and post sample days).
Start writing up cardio.

MJay
07-04-2007, 02:34 PM
04/07/07
Wednesday, day3.
Upper, vertical push/pull

5X5 bodyweight Pull-ups

5X5 31kg Millies

3X8 31kg One arm rows

8 30kg Arnies (total)
8 25kg
8 22kg

3X15 80kg Calf raises

NOTE
Pull ups coming along, again really only squeezed the last rep. Can't wait to have to do weighted pull ups.
Millies surprisingly easy, I'll up it by atleast 1kg again next week.
One arm rows upped aswell. I have to be cautious with them because I used to do 35/40kg+ with bad form and got used to it, don't want that to happen again.
Arnies were so messed. I didnt have my notes so I was going off memory. I put 15kg on each dumbell and on the second rep realised I should have put 10kg. I found them easier than they should have been but still needed to decrease. Really annoyed myself with that. I'll probably do 11kg next time.
Grip was really tested on calf raises, gave them a good bashing though.

CHANGES
Eat more!!!!!
Sleep more!!!!
Work on GMs for tomorrow.
Do 80kg SLDLs tomorrow aswell.

- Dont know why but I'm feeling alot smaller lately. I think its because I'm not eating enough - its getting awkward, hard, and expensive and I need more motivation to eat.
I'm gonna re-read that 'Big boys meal plan' I linked at the start of my journal, that should motivate me for a week.

MJay
07-07-2007, 08:57 AM
05/07/07
Thursday, day4.
Lower, Ham dominant, quad accessory

5 60kg SLDLs
5 65kg
5 70kg
5 75kg
5 80kg

8 20kg GMs
8 25kg
8 25kg

3X8 32.5 Walking Lunges

3X8 Full dips

NOTES
SLDLs were great, think I can up it to 82.5 next week aswell.
Gotta get more confident on GMs but atleast I was doing them with some weight.
Dips were good cos this time I was able to use all my bodyweight on all sets but was really pissed off to find my right wrist sprained the next day, might get supports.

CHANGES
EAT. Have to really motivate myself, I made 3Lb with little fat last 2weeks so I must be doing something right. Weigh in on sunday after Horizontal.

bjohnso
07-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Looks good chief. I love those SLDLs too, and I just started doing good mornings.

A word to the wise: Sometimes it's easier to drink your calories than to eat them ;)

What country are you in but the way?

MJay
07-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the support.
Yeh, but I'm just finding it so hard to eat cleanly with the volume, and its even worse since months before I actually got in the habit of clean food. Its so painful drinking soda and eating KFC, I feel dirty.
UK, I'm on the Isle of Wight which is in the middle of the south coast.

MJay
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
08/07/07
Sunday, day1.

5 45kg Bench
5 50kg
5 55kg
5 60kg
2 65kg

5 60kg Deadlift
5 65kg
5 70kg
5 75kg
5 80kg

2X8 30kg Incline dumbell press (total)
8 32kg

8 35kg Bent over rows
8 40kg
8 45kg

3X8 Weighted leg raises (extra 5kg total from weeks before)

NOTES
WTF is going on with my bench!!!! I did 5X65kg 2weeks ago! My deads and squat have climbed nicely but bench is just being stupid. It'll be alright in a few more weeks, i'll drop it a little next week and see.
Deadlifts were awesome, I'll either leave it or up it 1kg.
Was unsure about incline press cos of messed up bench, I'll have all sets 32kg next week, I did them pretty comfortably.
I'm gonna put it back to previous weight for abs next week and increase reps, didn't like doing 3X8 heavy on abs. I'll force it if its necesary. Been thinking of adding an extra ab day but I'll leave it for the time.

CHANGES
Improve bent over row form.
SORT OUT BENCH.
Print journal and use previous workouts as a solid guide for next.

MJay
07-10-2007, 08:22 AM
09/07/07
Monday, day2

5 47.5kg Squats
5 52.5kg
5 57.5kg
5 62.5kg
5 67.5kg

8 35kg Front squats
8 40kg
8 45kg

8 40kg SLDLs
8 45kg
8 50kg

3X8 25kg Bicep curls

NOTES
Increasing squats next week, found these sets alright. Found it helps so much if I start making abit of noise and psyching myself up.
Front squats I've been finding so hard, its not the stress on my quads, its the stress on my torso keeping upright and keeping that bar still. I swear its more of a lower back killer than deads/SLDLs.
SLDLs are still being kept light for the sets on this day because of the volume on the other days.
Curls have gotten slightly easier, but still got huge strain on all of the last reps.

CHANGES
EAT. SLEEP.
Print off previous workouts.

Lots of news:
Firstly, my protein bars have come through. They taste good - which doesnt matter since I'm prepared to force anything down atm. But they have a great distribution of macros and they really are making eating SOOOO much easier cos it means I don't have to struggle so much when away from food or in deciding what to eat.
Secondly, I have gotten so many of my friends into weightlifting and fitness in the last few months. One of my mates has bought some dumbells - good on him, but he refuses to accept that he needs everything big. Hes smaller than me and hes worrying about single muscle groups. Exactly how I used to think -"i just want big biceps" "i only want a 6pack". To make things worse all hes doing is bicep work. Just curls. I can't seem to convince him otherwise. I wasted like 6months doing what he did!

AWESOME NEWS THOUGH:
Couldn't weight myself yesterday so did it today.
Start: 11.10 (164)
2weeks in: 11.13 (167)
3weeks in: 12.03 (171)
Its not entirely accurate on gain or timing but dam it it shows a great net gain. Means I'm doing something right and I've only noticed faintly more fat!

bjohnso
07-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the support.
Yeh, but I'm just finding it so hard to eat cleanly with the volume, and its even worse since months before I actually got in the habit of clean food. Its so painful drinking soda and eating KFC, I feel dirty.
UK, I'm on the Isle of Wight which is in the middle of the south coast.

I was talking about grinding up a shake with peanut butter, oats, olive oil, whey, ice cream, etc etc. It's a rare occasion that I can get myself to drink soda. The first and only time I ate KFC was in 1987 I think, lol. I remember when I was bulking I would spend like 2 freaking hours a day eating solid food (eating clean), it was ridiculous. Next bulk I think I'll go for a partially liquid diet.

P.S. Those front squats are tricky. Keep at them though.

MJay
07-10-2007, 09:01 AM
I still gotta recieve my shakes but they're on the way. When it comes to liquifiying stuff; I'm gonna look into it on the weekend when I should be settled in my new house which should also make eating alot easier.
I really have to look around for more meal ideas to get more variety and get more veggies in.
At the moment I'm willing to eat poorly when I have to make sure I hit the cals and protein but to be honest that really isn't good enough - I should always eat clean!

Hydro1945
07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
love all the big compound lifts! keep up the good work. only thing is everything in kilograms is messing me up. do you box as a sport or just as a workout? i spar sometimes with a friend who is an amateur and it gets pretty hard.

MJay
07-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks man.
Yeh, I thought alot of people would find that annoying but I got tired of putting each into a converter. Check out www.convert-me.com Really good site for conversion. As a really general rule, just double it to make it Lbs. Theres 2.2 Lbs for every Kg.
I haven't been boxing at all lately to be honest, but should be going down the club regularly next week if time permits. I'm no where near experienced enough to fight yet but ussually it goes like this:
Group warm-up/fitness.
Group bag work.
And then I get abit of individual tuition from one of the coaches.
Boxing burns some serious cals and this is an example of one starting fitness session:
Sprint 40m, 25 press-ups, sprint 40m, short rest(partner goes) X5
Then similarly, with 25 burpees, 25 sit-ups, 25 squat thrusts. And about 200m slow jog inbetween.

MJay
07-14-2007, 09:10 AM
11/07/07
Wednesday, day3.

5X5 bodyweight Pull-ups

5X5 32.5kg Millies

3X8 32.5kg One arm rows

3X8 22kg Arnies

3X15 85kg Calf raises

NOTES
I can feel pull ups getting easier, have to add weight soon.
Millies weren't too difficult, might up weight next week.
One arm rows; I need to work on form. I'll go off and watch some vids so I'm clear in my head what I'm doing.
Arnies. Now this is why I should write down what I did each workout straight away! Notice how alot of my posts are a day/2days after actually done? Yeh, I write from memory which was fine until now. I think 3X8 22kg is pretty close though.
Calf raises were good but its a b**** putting the bar back cos its slightly above my grip. Its too heavy to high pull so I have to do a 16th calf raise to put it back.

CHANGES
Write stuff down straight away.
PROGRESSION. do it.

MJay
07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
12/07/07
Thursday, day4.

5 62.5kg SLDLs
5 67.5kg
5 72.5kg
5 77.5kg
5 82.5kg

8 22.5kg GMs
8 27.5kg
8 30kg

3X8 35 Walking Lunges

3X8 Full dips

NOTES
SLDLs were alright. Starting to get unsure about the straightness of my back on them. Although my mate said it was dead flat last time. Next week I think I'll keep it the same. My deads/SLDLs have climbed the fastest out of anything but I think I could attribute this to new confidence and starting to reach my capacity. Unlike bench and to lesser extent squats where I was more aware of my ability.
GMs have now proved to be in the same situation as arnies the previous day. Pretty close to what I did I'd say though.
I have an actual confession to make now...I think I like GMs.
Walking lunges upped to 35kg. Really need to nail form on them though because to be honest I'm not entirely sure about what the angle/position should be, I'll look into it.
Full dips getting easier! No wrist damage this time either since I worked out a better poition for my hands.

CHANGES
Work on walking lunge form(find it out).
Write the bloody stuff down!

- Moved house on friday. Which was pretty good - means eating might be right now. I did have one problem though. After this workout I went to rugby training with Vectis Colts - the team I'll be joining next year. It was really awesome and I've realised I love rugby again. Some were 3years above me so it made me work alot harder, especially with all the huge guys there. However, rugby was straight after this ham workout and my lower back was kaining at the end a little. And that wasn't helped by moving house the next day with heavy, awkward loads. Meh.

Sort out the bench on sunday hopeful.
Weigh in aswell.

EAT.

BBB
07-14-2007, 11:49 AM
When you are down in the lunge position your calf and thigh should make a 90 degree angle.

Keep up the good work.

MJay
07-16-2007, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the advice.

MJay
07-16-2007, 05:26 AM
15/07/07
Sunday, day1.

5 45kg Bench
5 50kg
5 55kg
5 60kg
4 65kg

5 62.5kg Deadlift
5 67.5kg
5 72.5kg
5 77.5kg
5 82.5kg

2X8 32kg Incline dumbell press
8 34kg

8 40kg Bent over rows
8 45kg
8 50kg

3X12 weighted leg raises (ankle weights + 2.5s)

NOTES
I was gonna do 62.5kg on last set of bench but then some serious psyche-up music started playing on the radio and I just went for it and did 65kg. I was surprised to push 4 out but not as surprised as I was when I couldn't push the 5th and had to roll it along my torso - crushing everything - onto my lap so I could sit up. That'll teach me to go without a spotter. Then my mates dad turned up and as always had ago at me cos it looked like I was doing nothing. I had 65kg on my lap and looked breathless.
I reckon I could risk wacking deads up again next week. - I love deads now. No, I dont love them; I'm IN love with them.
I really have to push on PROGRESSION; I'm not bothering to increase the weights. I really gotta psyche up and go nuts on each session.
Incline press was alright, its coming along quickly actually so I should be able to up it.
Must work on bent over row form, its alittle shaky and I think I'm forcing it up too quickly.
My abs are burning! I need another ab session I think, just do some weighted crunches and sidebridges.

CHANGES
EATEATEAT!!!!!!

MJay
07-17-2007, 06:50 AM
16/07/07
Monday, day2

5 55kg Squats
5 55kg
5 60kg
5 65kg
5 70kg

8 37.5kg Front squats
8 42.5kg
8 47.5kg

8 40kg SLDLs
8 50kg
8 60kg

8 30kg Bicep curls
2X8 27.5kg

NOTES
Squats were pretty good; I want to up the intensity by increasing rest between sets and using heavier weights cos I really don't think I've been pushing myself enough up to now.
Front squats were killer. My lower back was ripped to crap after them.
SLDLs I'm keeping light again, way too much volume on lower back otherwise.
On my curls I'd forgotten my usual weight so just went for 30kg. Not worried though its only curls.

CHANGES
EAT. Still not eating enough, I keep being lazy.

MJay
07-18-2007, 09:51 AM
18/07/07
Wednesday, day3.

3X5 bodyweight Pull-ups
5 bodyweight + 5kg
5 bodyweight

5X5 35kg Millies

3X8 35kg One arm rows

8 25kg Arnies
2X8 27kg

3X15 90kg Calf raises

NOTES
Added weight to a set of pull-ups today. Overestimated them abit, probably do 2.5s across all sets or last 3 next week.
Millies were awesome, could up it again maybe.
One arm rows will stay the same, I need to correct my form.
Arnies I was struggling the last reps so it'll be 27 all sets next week.
Calf raises I could well up to 100 but I need to start looking at holding the bar better with such heavy weight.

CHANGES
PROGRESSION you idiot.
EAT.EAT.EAT.
Work on one arm row form.

- Had first shake today during workout cos they just came through. Its alright, don't think it changes anything but make eating more convenient.

bjohnso
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Benching, squats and deadlifts all looking good. Are those "bent-over rows" barbell rows?

MJay
07-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Yup. Just bend over and row.

MJay
07-23-2007, 10:04 AM
19/07/07
Thursday, day4.

5 65kg SLDLs
5 70kg
5 75kg
5 80kg
5 85kg

8 22.5kg GMs
8 27.5kg
8 32.5kg

3X8 37.5 Walking Lunges

2X8 Full dips
1X7

NOTES
All round pretty good. GMs climbing to a decent heavy weight, SLDLs still climbing.
Walking lunges went up 2.5.
Dips were abit strange. Up to now I'd felt my dips get easier but I couldn't get the 8th out this time.

CHANGES
None.
Keep at it.

- Hard day today. Had 2hrs rugby with school tour team in the morning, then did this, then had a few hours beach rugby with the colts team.

MJay
07-23-2007, 10:09 AM
22/07/07
Sunday, day1.

5 50kg Bench
5 50kg
5 55kg
5 60kg
4 65kg

5 70kg Deadlift
5 75kg
5 75kg
5 80kg
5 85kg

3X8 34kg Incline dumbell press

8 45kg Bent over rows
8 45kg
8 50kg

3X12 weighted leg raises (ankle weights + 5s)

NOTES
WHAT THE HELL!!!! My bench must be completely messed. If it continues next week then I'll make a thread or something and start actively looking for advice. Last rep I had a spotter this time but turns out he cant lift 65kg off of a screaming mans chest.
Deads were really good. I want to step up the intensity on my major lifts - mainly deads and squats rather than bench. Stop doing this going up in 5s lark and use more similar weights with a slightly longer rest.

CHANGES
EATEATEAT!!!!!! - getting lazy malcolm.

MJay
07-23-2007, 10:13 AM
23/07/07
Monday, day2

5 65kg Squats
5 65kg
5 70kg
5 72.5kg
5 72.5kg

8 45kg Front squats
8 45kg
8 50kg

8 50kg SLDLs
8 50kg
8 60kg

3X8 30kg Bicep curls

NOTES
Nice load of squats but I had a dodgy feeling in my right glute. Was going for 75 on the last one but wasn't quite comortable. Today showed I really have been bothering with progression, particularly my squats.
Drugs dont kill people, front squats do.

CHANGES
EAT. Good 4days recently but last 2 have been mega lazy on eating. SORT IT.

bjohnso
07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Very nice progression. You keep very detailed notes, I think that will help you a lot in the future.

MJay
07-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks, they have been helping alot recently.

Thanks for the pm btw.

MJay
07-26-2007, 07:57 AM
25/07/07
Wednesday, day3.

4X5 bodyweight + 2.5kg Pull-ups
5 bodyweight + 5kg

5X5 37.5kg Millies

3X8 35kg One arm rows

3X8 27kg Arnies

3X15 95kg Calf raises

NOTES
Nice increase on pull ups, got to add weight properly rather than wedge the disc in between my legs.
Millies increased abit, fairly comfortable. Able to increase again I think.
Really need to sort one arm row form. Seriously considering changing the excercise on this day; perhaps high pulls.
Arnies alright, dodgy on last reps.
Calf raises getting heavy. Had to do alternate grip cos I knew it would slip otherwise.

CHANGES
EATEATEAT.

"My heart don't beat the way it used to."

natediesel
07-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Good work in here dude. Yea I'm taller too and doin my version of BGB, I definitely noticed my deadlift go up quick and my bench is kind of stuck like you. I think I'll change later to how you're doing DL and bench on the same day. Anyways keep it up.

bjohnso
07-26-2007, 10:58 AM
No problem. Did you find that thread about the shakes?

I'm trying to convert kg to lbs in my head, and it looks like you are moving some serious weight with the Arnolds and bent-over rows.

MJay
07-28-2007, 08:58 AM
26/07/07
Thursday, day4.

5 75kg SLDLs
5 75kg
5 75kg
5 80kg
5 85kg

8 30kg GMs
8 35kg
8 40kg

3X8 40kg Walking Lunges

3X8 Full dips

NOTES
I decided I'd rather up my deads on my deadlift day rather than SLDL day because I've been upping it every week on SLDL day and then doing same on dead day. So kept SLDLs same and upped intensity by doing first 3 sets 75 - which is really what I'm going to be aiming for normally.
GMs starting to hit a real weight, I've also found they've helped loads in increasing back flexibility and getting position for bar right.
Lunges went up this week and dips were more comfortable. I'm considering putting a disc in on last set next week.

CHANGES
None.
Keep at it.

- Hard day today AGAIN. Had 2hrs rugby with school tour team in the morning, then did this, then had a few hours beach rugby with the colts team.

I think I'm getting lazy with food again, I really have to exaggerate to myself what I need to eat to motivate myself. I have a SUPER fast metabolism, I'm like a pure ectomorph(I think thats the thin one). I think my minimum weight must be 12st2 now.

MJay
07-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Good work in here dude. Yea I'm taller too and doin my version of BGB, I definitely noticed my deadlift go up quick and my bench is kind of stuck like you. I think I'll change later to how you're doing DL and bench on the same day. Anyways keep it up.

Yeh, I think my natural builds becoming a real problem. I'm naturally tall and skinny and have a rediculus metabolism, foods becoming a real pain.
Bench is quite strangely stuck, if I get the same problems next week then I'm going to seek some advice because it may well be a plateau.

No problem. Did you find that thread about the shakes?

I'm trying to convert kg to lbs in my head, and it looks like you are moving some serious weight with the Arnolds and bent-over rows.

I'm looking for them now, I think I really need them, foods slipping.
BTW in a shake you should obviously have whey, but I have bought Nitrean which I'm having with my lowest protein meal or post workout. It says to have once a day, would it be a good idea to add this to the shake and have it in one go or what? I mean if I sip a high calorie shake with it in during the day I'll be spreading the protein intake out and the shake would only have 24g of protein.
To convert kg to Lbs just add a tenth and double. Thanks, because I'm still not sure where I stand on my lifts. I'll convert a few workouts or my major lifts next time.

bjohnso
07-28-2007, 03:04 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71355

Add a tenth and double. I don't know how that never occurred to me before. Damn.

How much protein are you getting a day? You only take 24g of Nitrean a day? I usually get about 100g of protein from whey daily, but I weigh 220lbs.

MJay
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71355

That threads really awesome, read through a few pages. Given me a few ideas.

Add a tenth and double. I don't know how that never occurred to me before. Damn.

Yeh, I just thought of that when I was posting. And its spot on because its 2.2Lbs to a Kg.

How much protein are you getting a day? You only take 24g of Nitrean a day? I usually get about 100g of protein from whey daily, but I weigh 220lbs.
I haven't started seriously counting macros and cals yet, tbh I pretty much eat as much as I can and guesstimate for the day. I get protein in regularly but my intake in the morning could be alot better. I'm not particularly worried about going over on cals too much because I've found I can lose fat easily and I've got rugby season in a month or so, so it'll go no problem.
Yeh, I only have a scoop of Nitrean a day, I swear it says on the box a limit of one a day. I'll now be getting some generic whey if I can't use more of that to add to some shakes during the day.

MJay
07-30-2007, 02:47 PM
29/07/07
Sunday, day1.

5 55kg Bench
5 60kg
5 62.5kg
5 62.5kg
4 65kg

5 80kg Deadlift
5 80kg
5 80kg
5 85kg
5 90kg

3X8 35kg Incline dumbell press

8 50kg Bent over rows
2X8 55kg

NOTES
Ok, bench has gone to hell. Its definitly hit a plateau. I'm gonna seek some advice on how to break it because its really p*ssing me off.
Deads I upped 5kg instead of 2.5kg simply because I just realised how close I am to 100. I really want to get right on or near 100 before I got on rugby tour to Barbados in 3weeks. Form was looking like it could fail at the end so I've got to be careful and not get carried away.
Inclines where fine. Could up if I wanted, but slight dodgy feeling right wrist putting it up.
Need to sort out what I'm doing for bent over rows because its getting shaky and I always feel my lower back strain after those heavy deads.
No problems with abs, getting easier though.

CHANGES
Good couple of days eating. Keep at it.
Sort out some shake recipes and get sipping.

MJay
07-30-2007, 02:55 PM
30/07/07
Monday, day2

5 65kg Squats
5 70kg
5 72.5kg
5 75kg
5 75kg

8 50kg Front squats
3 50kg
5 50kg

8 50kg SLDLs
8 55kg
8 60kg

8 32kg Bicep curls
2X8 30kg

NOTES
Awesome squats today, start and end weight for my main lifts are getting closer, I think what I did today is what I'm going to stick to.
I have front squats. With a passion. I did my 2nd set and on the 3rd rep I went too low and was stuck on the ground. Made a second attempt, did 5reps and I just felt my lower back strain way too much. I'm thinking about swapping front squats on this day with walking lunges on day4 because I put too much strain on my lower back doing front squats today with heavy deads the day before. Should probably lower the weight alittle though.
SLDLs light today as always. More comfy than usual though.
Biceps curls I thought I could up but turned out I was overestimating.

CHANGES
Bad day eating today but I'll make up for it.

bjohnso
07-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I haven't started seriously counting macros and cals yet, tbh I pretty much eat as much as I can and guesstimate for the day. I get protein in regularly but my intake in the morning could be alot better. I'm not particularly worried about going over on cals too much because I've found I can lose fat easily and I've got rugby season in a month or so, so it'll go no problem.
Yeh, I only have a scoop of Nitrean a day, I swear it says on the box a limit of one a day. I'll now be getting some generic whey if I can't use more of that to add to some shakes during the day.

Nitrean only once a day? I just looked at my tub (which arrived today btw) and I didn't see that on there. Why would you be limited to only one serving per day?

bjohnso
07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
29/07/07

NOTES
Ok, bench has gone to hell. Its definitly hit a plateau. I'm gonna seek some
advice on how to break it because its really p*ssing me off.
Deads I upped 5kg instead of 2.5kg simply because I just realised how close I am to 100. I really want to get right on or near 100 before I got on rugby tour to Barbados in 3weeks. Form was looking like it could fail at the end so I've got to be careful and not get carried away.
Inclines where fine. Could up if I wanted, but slight dodgy feeling right wrist putting it up.
Need to sort out what I'm doing for bent over rows because its getting shaky and I always feel my lower back strain after those heavy deads.
No problems with abs, getting easier though.

1) Get your stance wide?. You think it's wide enough? Widen it some more.

2) Arch your back. The more arch the better.

3) Pinch your shoulder blades together before you lift the bar off the rack and keep them pinched tightly throughout the movement.

4) "Pull the bar apart" as you are lowering it to your chest. "Push it together" as you push it up.

5) Vary the rep range/number of sets.

6) Stop going to failure if you are.

7) Work on your weak points.

8) Make sure you are inhaling on the way down and exhaling on the way up.

9) Vary the tempo.

10) Consider switching to DB bench for a while.

11) That's all I can think of right now, if I think of any more I'll let you know. If you want advice from others, do a search. There are 2374876089348928092843 threads with this topic already. I think I hit the main points.

12) Oh yeah, eat more!

Nice deads btw. Almost 2 plates per side? Squats are looking good too. I also hate front squats, I can never seem to get the form right.

MJay
08-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Nitrean only once a day? I just looked at my tub (which arrived today btw) and I didn't see that on there. Why would you be limited to only one serving per day?
I don't know where the hell I got the idea of once a day but it got in my head somewhere. I'll be seriously increasing my dosage then! I'll have to make a real good look through that shake thread and I'll likely have a standerd shake in the morning because I ussually have a carb and fibre heavy breakfast and then have a calorie heavy protein shake during/after workouts or later in the day.
I need an alternative to Nitrean because it cost me the same again for shipping to the UK! Unless its still really worth it.

Thanks for the advice man.
I don't have any 25kg discs yet so atm its a couple of 10s and a whole load of 5s.
Front squats kill.

MJay
08-01-2007, 10:08 AM
1/08/07
Wednesday, day3.

5X5 bodyweight + 5kg Pull-ups

5X5 40kg Millies

3X8 35kg High pulls

3X8 27kg Arnies

3X12 100kg Calf raises

NOTES
Pull ups increased nicely - upto using 5s all sets now.
Millies upped quite abit. Bit jumpy on last reps of last sets to get it up so cautious increase next week.
Really wasn't feeling up to doing one arm rows so I did high pulls. This might become permanent, I'm still thinking about it.
Arnies stayed the same because I was struggling with the millies. Good call though.
Calf raises upped to 100 but reps went down to 12 only because I got the idea that I do calf raises 3X12 not 3X15. My mate saw the bar bend on calf raises! I've got to ring york to find out how much the bar and bench can hold before I get too strong :hump: .

CHANGES
EATEATEAT.

MJay
08-05-2007, 08:59 AM
02/08/07
Thursday, day4.

5 80kg SLDLs
5 80kg
5 80kg
5 85kg
5 90kg

8 35kg GMs
8 35kg
8 40kg

3X8 42.5kg Walking Lunges

3X8 Full dips

NOTES
Nothing much to say, workouts are becoming less hectic.

CHANGES
None.
Keep at it.

MJay
08-05-2007, 09:02 AM
05/07/07
Sunday, day1.

5 55kg Wide Bench
5 60kg Bench
5 40kg Db Bench
2X5 45kg

5 85kg Deadlift
5 85kg
5 85kg
5 90kg
5 95kg

3X8 35kg Incline dumbell press

8 40kg Bent over rows
2X8 50kg

NOTES
Don't have enough time for detailed notes.

CHANGES
Sort out bench plateau.
Keep to good form on bent over rows - stop jerking it.

bjohnso
08-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Standing militaries, pullups, SLDLs and deads looking great chief. Nitrean is pretty expensive and I think you could do just fine with a whey-only protein. ON (optimum nutrition) is good stuff, and fairly cheap. I'm not sure they have that in the UK though.

MJay
08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
06/08/07
Monday, day2

5 65kg Squats
5 70kg
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg

8 35kg Front squats
8 40kg
8 45kg

8 50kg SLDLs
8 60kg
8 70kg

3X8 30kg Bicep curls

NOTES
Brilliant squats today. Aimed for 77.5kg but got a whole load of confidence on 4th set and did 80! No dodgy feeling in my glute, I think that was due to a fall.
Front squats were lowered to sort out form, I think I definitly did too much before cos form was spot on this time.
SLDLs fine.
Curls went down to make sure I can do all decent reps before increase.

CHANGES
Couple of really good days eating so took abit of a break today(rest day).

- Probably have to step up cardio cos of dodgy heart rate lately - getting too high resting.

MJay
08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Standing militaries, pullups, SLDLs and deads looking great chief. Nitrean is pretty expensive and I think you could do just fine with a whey-only protein. ON (optimum nutrition) is good stuff, and fairly cheap. I'm not sure they have that in the UK though.

Thanks man.
I'll have a good look around. I'd be interested in Maximuscle but its so expensive, I need a good cheap UK-based company.

MJay
08-07-2007, 02:45 PM
SUMMARY + Lbs.

Bench: 5X65kg (143)
Squats: 5X80kg (176)
Deadlifts: 5X95kg (209)

Millies: 5X40kg (88)
SLDLs: 5X90kg (198)
Bent-over rows: 8X45kg (99)
GMs: 8X45kg (99)
Walking Lunges: 8X42.5kg (94)

bjohnso
08-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Fantastic squatting! Don't get ripped off on the protein supplements!

MJay
08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
08/08/07
Wednesday, day3.

4X5 bodyweight + 5kg (Tree) Pull-ups
5 Bodyweight + 6kg

5 41kg Millies
4X5 40kg

3X8 36kg High pulls

2X8 27kg Arnies
8 29kg

3X12 100kg Calf raises

NOTES
Couldn't access a pull-up bar so spent 10mins looking for away to do them. Finally found a tree to do 'em but the trunk was quite big so I had to do them like a monkey(thumbless). Found a chain though that perfectly hangs weight, I'm gonna try and get it off my mate so I can use it for pull-ups and dips when I get my weights back home.
Millies started a little tough so I put it back to 40kg and pushed through it. On my 4th set I rested the bar on my head for some reason lol.
High pulls up 1kg. I'm keeping high pulls instead of one arm rows til the end of next week.
Calf raises were alright, love seeing the bar bending. Really need to contact york to find out the limits of the gear I've got.

CHANGES
EATEATEAT.
Contact York.

-Really hard day tomorrow. I don't think I ever eat enough as it is, let alone on these rediculus training days. I've got 2hrs rugby tour training in the morning, then weights session, then a few hours rugby with Vectis Colts.

Got to work out what I'm going to do when I go on tour. I have 2weeks rest in Barbados. Well, I say rest, I will be playing 4 rugby matches(its a rest to me).
At the moment I'm thinking having a week break and then working out something light for the second week. Anyone have any input?

The above just reminded me of when I was talking to my mates dad:
Mates dad: So what did you do yesterday?
Me: It was a rest day, so I just went for a jog.

MJay
08-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Fantastic squatting! Don't get ripped off on the protein supplements!

Thanks. I have more than enough Nitrean to last til I go on tour, but its really difficult looking around for stuff without having the net at home. I'll find some decent gear though.

Kong
08-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Im from the uk and always go for met-rx as its available at a good price in my home town (Doncaster). Go to www.monstersupplements.com or www.myprotein.co.uk. The latter do good deals on bulk bags of whey.

Kong
08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry, didnt notice that you didnt have net at home

bjohnso
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
^^I'm sure he'll appreciate it when he gets back online.

MJay
08-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Im from the uk and always go for met-rx as its available at a good price in my home town (Doncaster). Go to www.monstersupplements.com or www.myprotein.co.uk. The latter do good deals on bulk bags of whey.

I'll check it before I run out, they look pretty good.

Sorry, didnt notice that you didnt have net at home

Should be up in a few days. I have to go to mate's houses or net cafes - I just don't get enough time to look at things properly but its good enough atm.

MJay
08-09-2007, 01:30 PM
09/08/07
Thursday, day4.

5 85kg SLDLs
5 85kg
5 85kg
5 90kg
5 97.5kg

8 35kg GMs
8 40kg
8 40kg

3X8 45kg Walking Lunges

2X8 Full dips + 2.5kg
6 Full dips + 2.5kg

NOTES
SLDLs were pretty good, up to 97.5. But grip went on last rep, had to do a full dead.
Walking lunges got hard, got to work on form.

CHANGES
None.
Keep at it.
Also, eat.

bjohnso
08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
You're almost at 2 PPS on those SLDS

MJay
08-14-2007, 07:35 AM
12/07/07
Sunday, day1.

5 40kg DB Bench
5 42kg
5 44kg
5 45kg
5 47kg

5 87.5kg Deadlift
5 87.5kg
5 87.5kg
5 92.5kg
5 100kg!!!!!!!!!

3X8 37kg Incline dumbell press

8 40kg Bent over rows
2X8 42.5kg

NOTES
Bench was alright, purely DB for now.
Deads!!!!!!! 100 baby!!! :strong: !!!!! Was aiming for 97.5 so next session nail 100 but i just thought f*** it, and went. Form was straining and 5th rep wasnt immediate but it was awesome!
Inclines I really need to exploit with DB bench to break that plateau.
I've settled on bent over row form but I've got to work on squeezing my shoulder blades together and how to activate my upper back more. I think the reps are more realistic now.

CHANGES
Sort out bench plateau.
KEEP AT IT.

MJay
08-14-2007, 07:54 AM
13/08/07
Monday, day2

5 70kg Squats
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
5 85kg

8 40kg Front squats
8 42.5kg
8 45kg

8 60kg SLDLs
8 70kg
8 80kg

3X8 30kg Bicep curls

NOTES
Awesome squats! Aimed for 82.5 today but went for it and nailed 85! Had bad muscle bruise in left quads because of rugby that morning but was good.
Front squats went well, gotta take it easy on increase and watch form cos last reps I started bending over.
SLDLs went up even though light today, couldn't see any problems with it.
Curls getting easier. Boy I hate 'em.

CHANGES
Eatings been solid, got to keep it up.
Increase cardio and eat to compensate!

-Today (14th) is a rest day and I got a couple of hard days now.
15th: 2hrs rugby, weights.
16th: 2hrs rugby, weights, rugby with colts.

Kong
08-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Try www.discount-supplements.com. They do a 4.5kg tub of cytosport whey for like 45, bargain. Where you from?

MJay
08-15-2007, 01:41 PM
15/08/07
Wednesday, day3.

5X5 bodyweight + 6kg Pull-ups

5X5 41kg Millies

3X8 36kg High pulls

3X8 27kg Arnies

3X15 100kg Calf raises

NOTES
Pulls ups were alright, felt myself slipping alittle at times though and last set I jerked abit.
Millies were hard, I don't know if they've been affected by my bench plateau or what but they're not progressing like they used to.
High pulls okay, same as last week.
Arnies I seemed to struggle with despite going up on last set last week.
Calf raises good, back up to 15 reps.

CHANGES
EATEATEAT.
Contact York.

Did some fast feet/agility stuff and contact work afterwards and had 2hrs rugby in the morning.(which included alot of fitness)

Kong
08-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Routine looks good. Starting to love the more abbreviated routines, feel like ive held myself back worrying about isolating certain bodyparts. MASS!

MJay
08-18-2007, 05:41 AM
Routine looks good. Starting to love the more abbreviated routines, feel like ive held myself back worrying about isolating certain bodyparts. MASS!

I like to write down my thoughts, really useful for the next week in making a good judgement.
I used to isolate all the time, then I discovered squats and then deads and I was hooked. If you could put deadlifts in a syringe, I'd be there.

MJay
08-18-2007, 05:47 AM
16/08/07
Thursday, day4.

5 90kg SLDLs
5 90kg
5 90kg
5 95kg
5 100kg

3X8 40kg GMs

3X8 46kg Walking Lunges

3X8 Full dips + 2.5kg

NOTES
SLDLs were solid, apparently back was dead flat. No complaints, usual struggle.
GMs up a little, getting more comfortable with them. One issue though: bar. I really struggle to get that bar in place and stay. I also have a wide grip for any work with the bar on my back and I can't bring my arms together in a closer grip.
Walking Lunges fine, unsure with weight to start with but they were okay.
Dips up. Lots of noise on dips.

CHANGES
None.

I was dead by the end of this day. Not only was it all the stuff from my last post but I also decided to do contact and fast feet work with my mate and we ended up doing LOADS of fitness on those morning rugby sessions.

Kong
08-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Where you from mate? I hate gms, cant keep my back solid so ill stick to hypers for time being.

MJay
08-18-2007, 06:13 AM
SUMMARY - 8.5 weeks.

~11.10st > 12.5-12.10
~164Lb > 173Lb-178Lb

Bench: 65kg 65kg (DB: 47kg)
Deads: 75kg 100kg
Squats: 67.5kg 85kg

Pull-ups: BDW BDW+6kg
Millies: 30kg 41kg
SLDLs: 77.5kg 100kg

Inc. DB press: 30kg 37kg
Bent-over rows: N/A 42.5kg
Front squats: 35kg 45kg
Arnies: 10kg 27kg
Dips: 2X8BDW BDW+2.5kg
GMs: N/A 40kg
Walking Lunges: 30kg 46kg

I think the gains were alright, especially considering its my first proper bulk. Although, I don't think I know enough yet to comment on that properly. Point is, I made gains and I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

The only reason I am stopping now is simply because of my rugby tour to barbados. So, heres the plan so far:
3days rest.
Training with London Irish.
Training with London Irish + Full body (bench, squats, deads).
1 Weeks rest in Barbados. (with a few matches and training sessions)
Get some improvised strength work while there on the 2nd week.
Full body when I get back.

I'll work out what to do from there. I'll likely do full bodys a couple of times for a week because of para insight course.
After that I'll get back into another bulk. Rugby season will definitly be getting in the way but I'm gonna work on ways around that.

MJay
08-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Where you from mate? I hate gms, cant keep my back solid so ill stick to hypers for time being.

Isle of Wight.
I'm really not a fan of GMs either. I struggled to start with so just did GHRs, eventually I got the hang of form but I still find the bar awkward.

Kong
08-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Use the time to max out then deload

MJay
08-18-2007, 06:41 AM
What do you mean by that?

Kong
08-18-2007, 06:47 AM
You said your going away, how long for? eg 2 weeks - test out 1rms on first week for the big 3 and the week after do some light dynamic work to recover

MJay
08-22-2007, 07:06 PM
You said your going away, how long for? eg 2 weeks - test out 1rms on first week for the big 3 and the week after do some light dynamic work to recover

Too late for that now, I've done the workout. To be honest I'm not interested in 1RMs. Seems to me like it slows you down just to get abit of info you could easily estimate and that you don't really use anyway. Right?

I did full body night before going and am now taking a week off eating and training (except rugby). Then I'll work out some strength work for 2nd week and get home to full body work until an Army course I'm going on. Then I'll do another bulk.

MJay
08-22-2007, 07:20 PM
21/08/07
Full body.

3X5 92.5kg Deadlift
5 97.5kg
5 105kg

5 75kg Squat
5 80kg
5 82.5kg
5 85kg
5 87.5kg

5 42kg DB Bench
2X5 45kg
5 47kg
5 49kg

5 7.5kg Pull-ups
2X5 6kg

MJay
09-07-2007, 09:52 AM
2weeks rest was good. Except for the strength loss.
Ill post last workout soon, about to do one now. Just some full bodys before i go on a para insight course.

MJay
09-07-2007, 12:34 PM
First lift after 2weeks break from routine and diet.

04/09/07

5 90kg Deadlifts
5 95kg
5 97.5kg
5 100kg
5 97.5kg

5 70kg Squats
5 70kg
5 75kg
5 75kg
5 77.5kg

5 44kg Bench DBell
5 44kg
5 45kg
5 47kg
5 50kg

2X6 30kg Bicep curls

07/09/07
- Was at mates house with his new kit so values not really exact since I don't count my bar weight and various other reasons.

5 90kg Deadlifts
5 95kg
5 95kg
5 100kg
5 100kg

5 70kg Squats
5 70kg
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg

- noted that this is definitly not accurate because of following sessions but this is what we worked it out as.

5 55kg Bench
5 60kg
5 65kg
5 70kg
5 75kg

- same as above.
5 45kg Bent-Over rows
5 50kg
5 55kg
5 60kg
5 60kg

bjohnso
09-07-2007, 10:09 PM
You sure you lost strength over a 2 week period? It's probably all in your head. You are making some serious progress on your deads and squats.

MJay
09-16-2007, 08:43 AM
yeh might well be, i got a couple of sessions written down iv got to upload and the above to sort out as well as a session tonight.

ATM: fully bodys til my para course which was moved back due to an infection.
Also, just waiting on net connection and this should look alot cleaner because ill have access and time.

The notes I have posted above i must be cautious of because they were at a mates house as I was unsure of bar weight added to the fact I dont add the 6+kg my bar weights when i lift at home.

MJay
09-29-2007, 08:21 AM
12/09/07

5 95kg Deadlift
5 95kg
5 95kg
5 100kg
5 102.5kg

5 70kg Squats
5 70kg
5 75kg
5 80kg
5 82.5kg

5 60kg Bench
5 60kg
5 62.5kg
2 62.5kg

8 35kg Supported Bent-Over rows
8 30kg
8 30kg
8 30kg

MJay
09-29-2007, 08:24 AM
16/09/07

5 95kg Deadlifts
5 95kg
5 100kg
5 100kg
5 105kg

5 70kg Squats
5 75kg
5 75kg
5 80kg
5 85kg

8 30kg Bench Incline DBell
8 30kg
8 30kg

8 30kg Support BO Rows
8 30kg
8 30kg

MJay
09-29-2007, 08:26 AM
19/09/07

5 97.5kg Deadlifts
5 100kg
5 102.5kg
5 105kg
5 105kg

5 72.5kg Squats
5 77.5kg
5 77.5kg
5 82.5kg
5 87.5kg

6 40kg Military Press
6 40kg
4 37.5kg

8 30kg BO Rows
8 30kg
8 30kg

MJay
09-29-2007, 08:29 AM
23/09/07

5 97.5kg Deadlifts
5 100kg
5 102.5kg
5 107.5kg
5 107.5kg

5 75kg Squats
5 77.5kg
5 82.5kg
5 85kg
2 87.5kg -dodgy 2nd rep so dropped.

8 32kg Bench Incline DBell
8 32kg
8 32kg

8 37.5kg Upright Rows
8 37.5kg
8 37.5kg

MJay
10-03-2007, 01:29 PM
30/09/07

5 97.5kg Deadlifts
5 102.5kg
5 105kg
5 107.5kg
5 107.5kg

5 72.5kg Squats
5 77.5kg
5 82.5kg
5 85kg

3X8 40kg Bench DBell

3X8 37.5kg BO Rows

Notes -
sessions further between - basicly weekly now. I got loads of training on atm. Starting today I've got 4matches in 5days and the one rest day I have 2training sessions. Sucks.
Squats I eased off, sorted out some form though so should be on track now.
Currently planning bulk for next month, Novemberish. Ill have less matches etc. and hopefully sorted out my current eating problems.

Current regular set-up:
Mon - Rugby training (school)
Tues - Rugby training (colts)
Weds - Rugby training (s)
Thurs - Rugby training (s + c)
Fri -
Sat - Sometimes matches
Sun - Often matches (c)

+ weekly full bodys atm and occasional ab work and flexibility

MJay
10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
08/10/07

5 97.5kg Deadlift
5 102.5kg
5 105kg
5 107.5kg
5 110kg

5 72.5kg Squat
5 77.5kg
5 82.5kg
20 50kg

3X8 42 DB Bench

Notes:
Tried T-Bars, wasnt really working out though - wasnt comfortable and felt like crap ROM.
Deads good, need to be more safe on form though.
Squats, didnt have spotter and didnt want to go higher so thought i'd have a bash at 20reppers. Felt like doing sprint shuttle runs, legs really drained and fairly breathless.

MJay
10-14-2007, 01:47 PM
14/10/07

5 100kg Deadlift
5 105kg
5 107.5kg
5 107.5kg
5 110kg

5 70kg Squat

3X8 40kg BO rows

3X8 45kg DBell Bench

8 40kg Upright Rows
6 40kg

Notes:
Odd workout. Some good gains overall though.
Deadlifts okay, need more weight though to go up - the cog is half on now with 110kg.
Left knee felt dodgy clearing the parrelel of the squats. Intended for squats - 70kgwarm up, 5X80kg, 5X85kg, 20X50kg, 20X55kg. No worries though, see how it feels for rugby tomorrow.
BO Rows jerked last reps.
Bench straining but still solid on lifts.
Overestimated UR Rows and was spent by the end so left it.

I'm considering doing 2workouts a week now - lower/upper. I think I'll struggle to fit the two in though because of rugby, but I'll see.

MJay
10-17-2007, 02:53 PM
17/10/07

5 80kg Squat
5 85kg
20 52.5kg
20 52.5kg

8 37.5kg Millies
2X7 37.5kg

7 30kg Curl
2X6 30kg

Notes:
Jes 20rep squats kill. I've got a sore throat from breathing so heavy! I think they also helped kill the rest of the workout.
Millies struggling, maybe because of above.
Curls, same, but some overestimation.

I've got another workout at the end of the week then I'm going on Rugby tour to Belgium. Unfortunatly thats almost a week from lifting - which is fine - but its also alot of drinking - much more of a problem. I'll try and take it easy.

I'm also going to be making some goals in a couple of weeks and am currently looking into Oly lifts. One of my mates is doing some heavy clean and presses and its got me interested.

MJay
10-20-2007, 09:30 AM
20/10/07

5 100kg Deadlift
5 105kg
5 107.5kg
5 110kg
4 112.5kg

5 72.5kg Squat
5 77.5kg

3X8 47kg DBell Bench

3X8 41kg BO Row

Notes:
Deadlifts okay, really need to practise form though - I'm having trouble with how far my butt should be out because it makes a real difference to the actual line of movement compared to the perfect line of movement. Disappointed I got 4reps of 112.5kg since last week's 110 was almost comfy - weak day I guess. But progress is progress.
Squat was cut short due to left knee feeling really dodgy. Had some problems without yesterday and day before but put up. Today I really didn't want to risk anything before I go on tour though. Had planned to go back to 5X5 heavy.
Bench harder than last time but pushed it out.
Row form needs more work, still jerking alittle aswell tendancy for back to round on last reps.

-Belgium rugby tour tommorow for 5odd days.

MJay
10-27-2007, 07:18 AM
27/10/07

5 100kg Deadlift
5 105kg
5 107.5kg
5 110kg
3 110kg

5 72.5kg Squat
5 80kg
5 82.5kg

8 50kg DBell Bench
2X6 50kg

3X8 42kg BO Row

Notes:
Crap workout. But, not much better to be expected after a week of with only 2matches for training and abit of drinking.
No problem though, awesome lifts next time.
Deads feeling pretty dodgy so didnt go for target 112.5kg
Squat has recently been really crap, seems to have stood still and even dropped.
Bench, could be seen as improvement but didnt complete reps.
Rows alright.

Looking forward now. Want new routine for the next 8+weeks. Want to force in 2workouts a week to try and get back to gains.

MJay
11-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Today should have been a new routine and a break from the weak workouts - propelling myself back into lifting heavy and making progress.
Didn't happen.

04/11/2007

A: squat, dead, dbell bench.

Warm up sets Squat.

5 100kg Dead
5 105kg
1 107.5kg

Notes:
And that was it. I probably shouldn't have had one anyway since I was still a little ill from last week.
Squats had serious problems with my left knee - I could force it but I don't think the concequences for my knee would be all good so I'm getting another appointment with an orthadontist.
Deads just weren't happening, drained after sets way too much - couldn't really pull.

Getting back from 2weeks in barbados was hard recovering, then a week in Belgium on tour again took alot out of me(drinking, sleep etc.), and then a week of being ill has rounded it off.
Its so frustrating that I can't get back into the swing of when I was lifting at the start of the summer. It was so fun and I looked forward to every workout. This though, is just ****.

Got a new routine while its rugby season:
A: Squat, dead, dbell bench
B: Squat, millies/dips, rows/pullups
2days a week. Maybe I'll be good to go again, we'll see.

MJay
11-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Right, I'm going to sort this out.
I've almost entirely recovered from being ill after 3 bloody weeks!!! I'm also almost back into good eating habits.
Plan now is to get straight back into rugby (match tomorrow) and then a week of full bodies and then 3weeks of a few early mornings back on BGB. I think thats really the only way I can fit weightlifting in.

One other note:
While being ill last weekend I went on an insight course with the Parachute Regiment (argueably the toughest infantry unit to get into within the UK armed forces). One of the best weekends of my life.
Got there about 7pm, bleep test at 8pm. Throwing up in the night and then in the morning.
On the saturday it was a 1.5mile best time. The warm up what kills you and I was sprinting the last 100ms throwing up aswell. I got 9mins which is a 6min mile - alright I think considering I'd never felt so low. We also did maxes of press ups, sit ups, pull ups and a farmers walk with full jerry cans. These were all the basic entry tests - nothing too hard. I passed all except pull ups with 8 - but the bar was as thick as hell and I bruised my biceps from rugby earlier in the week. I'll be good next time.
That afternoon we did an assualt course. First some command tasks, then 2 half runs of the course and then full team effort round the lot. I felt dead at the end of it.
But thats not the best bit. On sunday, up at 6am - nothing unusual - then standing in some random countryside with logs at 7am. It was the log race with 2teams of 8 on logs meant for 10. I felt really pissed off that I was in the slow group (9mins and over for 1.5mile) but it turned out to be the best. I have never pushed myself so hard, it was awesome. The instructors pushed us like hell, shouting stuff like: 'sprint to overtake the other team, we can rest on the downhill. standby. go.' followed shortly by: 'right we're on a downhill now lads, open your stride, we can rest on the uphill' and then: 'okay its uphill lads lets sprint this get it out the way. standby. go.' Then by half way round the 2mile course all of my team had dropped out bar one other guy so the instructors had to help us. They're so fit and determined and pushed us really hard. When we finally got to the end of the course we were told we had to do it again.
Absolutely awesome.

bjohnso
11-18-2007, 07:05 AM
I'd ask you why in the world you are deadlifting so frequently, but it looks like it's working pretty well for you, so I won't. LOL!

Right, I'm going to sort this out.
I've almost entirely recovered from being ill after 3 bloody weeks!!! I'm also almost back into good eating habits.
Plan now is to get straight back into rugby (match tomorrow) and then a week of full bodies and then 3weeks of a few early mornings back on BGB. I think thats really the only way I can fit weightlifting in.

One other note:
While being ill last weekend I went on an insight course with the Parachute Regiment (argueably the toughest infantry unit to get into within the UK armed forces). One of the best weekends of my life.
Got there about 7pm, bleep test at 8pm. Throwing up in the night and then in the morning.
On the saturday it was a 1.5mile best time. The warm up what kills you and I was sprinting the last 100ms throwing up aswell. I got 9mins which is a 6min mile - alright I think considering I'd never felt so low. We also did maxes of press ups, sit ups, pull ups and a farmers walk with full jerry cans. These were all the basic entry tests - nothing too hard. I passed all except pull ups with 8 - but the bar was as thick as hell and I bruised my biceps from rugby earlier in the week. I'll be good next time.
That afternoon we did an assualt course. First some command tasks, then 2 half runs of the course and then full team effort round the lot. I felt dead at the end of it.
But thats not the best bit. On sunday, up at 6am - nothing unusual - then standing in some random countryside with logs at 7am. It was the log race with 2teams of 8 on logs meant for 10. I felt really pissed off that I was in the slow group (9mins and over for 1.5mile) but it turned out to be the best. I have never pushed myself so hard, it was awesome. The instructors pushed us like hell, shouting stuff like: 'sprint to overtake the other team, we can rest on the downhill. standby. go.' followed shortly by: 'right we're on a downhill now lads, open your stride, we can rest on the uphill' and then: 'okay its uphill lads lets sprint this get it out the way. standby. go.' Then by half way round the 2mile course all of my team had dropped out bar one other guy so the instructors had to help us. They're so fit and determined and pushed us really hard. When we finally got to the end of the course we were told we had to do it again.
Absolutely awesome.

Damn dude. You are probably the most motivated guy on WBB. I take it you are going to join the armed forces sometime soon?

MJay
12-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks man.
Liftings been really shoddy lately, but hopefully I can force in a 4day BGB routine. I did that last week and coped pretty well. I've found weightliftings really motivated me with work as well and it doesn't seem to matter that I'm missing out on 'free time' which if I'm honest used to be watching tv or the like. Anyway, I'm posting up my last weeks sessions as well as a quad dominant day I did the week before.
I won an Army scholarship so they send me abit of money and grant me a place at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. At the moment though I'm torn between being an officer and soldier, mainly becuase I envisage soldier life to be more 'fun'.

- Internets gone down again so I've got aload of paper with my workouts on and I've just run out of time to post them up but I will do soon.

MJay
12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
19/11/07

BGB Day2 - Quad Dominant, Ham Acc.

5 70kg Squats
5 75kg
5 80kg
5 80kg
5 82.5kg

3X8 40kg Front Squats

8 80kg SLDLs
8 90kg
8 90kg

3X6 30kg BiCurls

Notes-
Awesome. I'm back.
Having been ill for so many weeks, off weights seriously for even longer and my squats were suddenly back to how they were!!! And not only that but I struggled to walk for 2days and ached for another 3!!! And I had fitness with my rugby club the next day and a match the day after! I was fine carrying on - no worries - but it was the weirdest feeling having your legs feel so done strength wise.

------------

25/11/07

BGB Day1 - Horizontal Push/Pull

5 55kg Bench
5 55kg
5 55kg
5 57.5kg
5 57.5kg

5 100kg Deads
5 105kg
5 110kg
5 110kg
5 112.5kg

8 37kg Inc. DBell Bench
8 37kg
6 37kg

3x8 40kg BO Rows
7 40kg

Notes-
Bench still crap. Pffft.
Numbers looking good though after the state I was in a couple of weeks ago.

-----------

26/11/07

BGB Day2 Quad Dom. Ham Acc.

5 70kg Squat
5 75kg
5 80kg
5 82.5kg
5 85kg

3X8 42kg Front Squat

8 80kg SLDLs
8 90kg
8 90kg

3x8 27.5kg BiCurls

Notes-
Awesome.
Had ice bath and flexibility session after the problems with walking last week because of Day2.

-------------

28/11/07

BGB Day3 - Vertical Push/Pull

5 37.5kg Millies
5 37.5kg
5 37.5kg
4 37.5kg
4 37.5kg

5 40kg BO Rows
5 45kg
5 45kg
5 42.5kg
5 42.5kg

3x8 27kg Arnies

7 37.5kg Upright Rows
8 32.5kg
8 32.5kg

15 80kg Calf Raises
15 100kg
15 100kg

Notes-
Annoyed I don't have a pull up bar at my new house should get one in a few weeks. I decided on BO rows for the time.

--------------

29/11/07

BGB Day4 - Ham Dom. Quad Acc.

5 100kg SLDLs
5 90kg
5 90kg
5 90kg
5 90kg

Notes-
Forced to get up early to fit in day4 because of 2sessions of rugby in the afternoon(school and club). I cut it short because I really lacked the energy and it died pretty quickly despite this being by far the easiest day.

----------------

2/12/07

BGB Day1 - Horz. push/pull

5 55kg Bench
5 57.5kg
5 57.5kg
5 57.5kg
5 57.5kg

5 100kg Deads
5 105kg
5 110kg
5 112.5kg
5 112.5kg

3x8 37kg Inc. DBell Bench

8 40kg BO rows
8 37.5kg
8 37.5kg

Ab work.

Notes-
On bench I forced a wider grip, it hurt like hell cos it had to be on the rims where the plates are but I managed to squeeze my hands slightly closer. I could feel it was closer to the real movement but the main issue is my bench not allowing good ROM.

----------------

3/12/07

BGB Day2 - Quad dom. Ham acc.

5 72.5kg Squat
5 77.5kg
5 82.5kg
5 85kg
5 87.5kg

3x8 44kg Front Squats

3x8 90kg SLDLs

3x8 27.5kg BiCurls

Notes-
Squat moving up nicely, bloody brilliant change to see gains again. I do though need to be careful on those last reps where my upper back tends to collapse alittle and for some reason it must make it easier - that or I do it in a slight panicy effort to straighten.
Bicurls same but alot less jerking.

-----------------

5/12/07

BGB Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5 38kg Millies
5 38kg
5 38kg
5 38kg
5 38kg

5x5 42.5kg BO rows

8 27kg Arnies
8 27kg
8 29kg

3x8 32.5kg Upright rows

15 80kg Calf raises
15 100kg
15 100kg

Notes-
Millies okay, effort pushing out on last reps.
Really need pull up bar so I dont do BO rows. I find BO rows a strange lift, I don't feel like I'm exerting alot of effort moving it until I actually can't move it and need to jerk.

MJay
12-13-2007, 01:57 PM
6/12/07

Day4 - Ham. Dom.

5 90kg SLDLs
3X5 100kg
5 105kg

Notes-
That was it, again poor workout but not because of early morning but lack of energy. I think it might have something to do with routine since I've completely fallen out of favor of GMs and cant do walking lunges or dips.

------------------------------

09/12/07

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5x5 57.5kg Bench

5 100kg Deads
5 110kg
5 112.5kg
5 112.5kg
5 115kg

8 37kg Inc. DBell Bench
8 40kg
8 40kg

3x8 40kg BO Rows

Ab work

Notes-
Maybe I'll see an improvement in my bench once again - not all that positive about it though. I think it will definitly improve with my new power rack for christmas.
Deads pretty awesome. Great reps and an increase in weight since I worked out a new configeration to squeeze on another 2.5kg. My mate whos buying my big plates and bench is lending me 2 10kg discs while hes away so I should be able to make progress again before christmas.
Good steady increases. Feel like I'm back on form.

-------------------------------

10/12/07

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 75kg Squat
5 80kg
5 85kg
5 85kg
5 87.5kg

3x8 45kg Front Squat

3x8 90kg SLDLs

3x8 28.5kg BiCurls

Notes-
Squats I was really cautious on because I didn't have a spotter. I think my form really needs working on when it comes to those big weights. I have a tendency to curve my back slightly out near the bottom and then suddenly line up into a good line of movement. Looking forward to 90kg next week! And even 100kg before Feb!
Front squats where deep this time and man I could feel them. Its interesting how the struggle in moving the weight on front squat has shifted from my arms and back to my quads. Only a good thing.
I'm considering getting chalk and straps for my SLDLs, my grip is really starting to struggle.

-----------------------------------

12/12/07

Day3 - Vert push/pull

5x5 40kg Millies

5x5 45kg BO Rows

3x8 29kg Arnies

3x8 35kg Upright Rows

15 80kg Calf raises
2x15 100kg

Notes-
Starting to enjoy millies again. Might be because I visualised the roof falling in and me pushing it up. Its awesome how things like that help, for instance squats I visualise pushing the floor down.
Really need pull up bar so im not doing those BO rows, but doing it twice a week has really helped my form though.

bjohnso
12-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Why can't you do dips or lunges?

MJay
12-16-2007, 12:34 PM
13/12/07

BGB Day4 - Ham Dom.

5x5 Moderate SLDLs

3x8 Medium/heavy Ham curls

3x8 Medium Leg press

3x8 BW Dips

Ab work

Notes -
Worked out in the school gym for the first time in ages since rugby was off among other reasons. Was training with new PE staff whos played with the likes of Wilke. Probably talked too much as a result. Anyways, the gear in the gym is waaaay too light on some counts but its better than what I've been doing for Day4 lately.

MJay
12-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Why can't you do dips or lunges?

TBH Day4 has been some issue because I've just been stuggling to fit it in and frankly just being lazy. I don't really have anything to dip off of, any suggestions to improvise? And lunges have been awkward without the room to walk in. I really just need to get some heavy GMs down and I'll be back into that day.

bjohnso
12-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Don't you live on a farm? Surely you can find something to do dips on there. You can do bench dips on 2 chairs (of course, I'm assuming you workout at home).

MJay
12-17-2007, 11:04 AM
I used to live on a farm but recently moved into an urban area. I'll be doing bench dips for the time and work out a way to do full dips in the meantime.
There was a rack I was gonna get that had dip bars on but it didn't look worth the money. No worries though, really looking forward to my new gear and I just stole some 10kg discs from a mate so should be doing PRs tonight providing my bruised leg stands up.

MJay
12-18-2007, 05:10 AM
17/12/07

Day1 - Horiz. Push/pull

5 57.5kg Bench
5 57.5kg
3x5 60kg

5 105kg Deads
5 110kg
5 115kg
5 117.5kg
5 120kg

2x8 42kg Inc. DBell Bench
6 42kg

3x8 42kg BO Rows

Ab work.

Notes -
Bench as crap as ever but atleast it looks like its improving.
120kg Dead!!! :strong: Up 5kg from last week and fairly comfortable. Was gonna stop at set3 cos it wasn't feeling 'right' (I had some tough propping the day before) but I wacked on some Metallica St Anger and the adrenaline got pumping and just went for it. The 120 was one of my favorite lifts I've done I think. However, MUST pay attention to form! I nearnly fell over on 4th set due to lack of concentration.
DBell bench bit overestimated - no worries nothing bad.
Alot less jerk on BO Rows.
Pretty good ab work - should give obliques abit of attention though.

bjohnso
12-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Nice deads, bro. 265lbs, you're getting up there. What do you mean when you say your DB bench is a bit overestimated?

MJay
12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
I meant I overestimated what I could do as I did 6 reps last set. I'm not suggesting its bad to hit failure but I'd rather get good at estimating and choose when to.

bjohnso
12-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I see. Inevitably it will happen, though. You can just quit early and avoid failure if you know you won't be able to get that last rep in.

MJay
12-20-2007, 03:05 AM
19/12/07

Day2 - Quad. Dom.

5 80kg Squat
5 85kg
5 87.5kg
5 87.5kg
5 90kg

3x8 47.5kg Front Squat

3x8 90kg SLDLs

3x8 30kg BiCurls

Notes-
Awesome that I hit 90kg squat. Still got to concentrate on form - I had no rounding of my back but I could feel myself pushing through one leg more than the other on a few reps.
Front squats were good, quite hard to push a few out. I really like the ATF now.
Grips gotten better so could have increased those SLDLs. Took too much rest between though.
BiCurls good.

bjohnso
12-20-2007, 04:04 AM
You're creeping up to 2pps with those squats. How much weight have you gained since you've started?

MJay
12-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Well my original 8/9week try with BGB left me about 10Lbs heavier but right now I'm having some issues with my eating - stomach ache after eating and all sorts. So I've decided to try and sort out my diet but otherwise just enjoy my lifting for the time, not worrying about size too much just tryna get my diet sound again.
No worries though, just get big numbers on lifts and really enjoy it for a few weeks before I try another bulk - which will be more successful I might add.

MJay
12-21-2007, 01:04 PM
21/12/07

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

3x5 42kg Millies
4 42kg
4 40kg

5x5 47.5kg BO Rows

2x8 30kg Arnies
7 30kg

8 36kg Upright Rows
2x8 37.5kg

15 80kg Calf raises
2x15 100kg

Notes-
Got abit cocky when I was planning this - overestimated Millies and Arnies. The rest was good though.

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 10:51 PM
30kg is impressive for Arnies. Are you aware of the potential for rotator cuff damage with those upright rows? I'm not trying to be a downer, just trying to save you some hurt in the future.

MJay
12-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks bud.
Well I never thought of it as a problem, I'll have a look into that. I do get alot of clicking and discomfort before millies but once I've warmed up I have no issues - but that doesn't mean I'm not doing any damage.
Upright rows are there because I couldn't seem to get much benefit from one armed rows. Do you have any other suggestions if upright rows are a problem?
Similarly, I'm doing 5x5 BO rows on day3 because I don't have a pull up bar for a few days - although I am starting to like them and prefer them over 3x8s.

MJay
12-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Last 3 workouts were spread across the week due to rugby and as a result 4th was dropped so I can stick to Day1 starting Sunday.

23/12/07

Day1 - Horiz. Push/pull

5x5 60kg Bench

5 107.5kg Deads
5 112.5kg
5 117.5kg
5 120kg
5 120kg

8 42kg Inc. Dbell Bench
8 42kg
6 42kg

3x8 43kg BO Rows

Ab work.

Notes-
Atlast! Bench is increasing! I really hold grip placement to blame and dare I say it I enjoyed those sets.
Deads I was tempted to increase but after last weeks 5kg jump it was far more sensible to up the intensity instead.
Disappointed Inc.Dbell Bench didn't increase but no worries with that bench increase.
BO rows looking good.

MJay
12-24-2007, 09:42 AM
24/12/07

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 80kg Squat
5 85kg
5 87.5kg
5 90kg
5 90kg

3x8 48.5kg Front Squat

3x8 90kg SLDLs

8 31kg Bi Curls
5 31kg

Notes-
Had a mate training with me today so I got a decent spot.
Squats were great, clean(er) form and good reps. I'll be adding 6kg to all my lifts soon since I don't add the bar weight which will be awesome - 4kg off of a 100kg squat in reality then!
Front squat was good but I think I'm gonna have a sore throat for christmas tomorrow because of breathing so damned hard - the only strength excercise I do I'm regularly breathless afterwards. My mate said my rhomboids where looking ripped on that lift aswell.
Mate had a look at SLDLs because I get concerned my back ain't flat on them - apparently it is. Fairly good reps but my hands were canning after that. Need straps now I think, had to jerk weight up a little to reapply grip sometimes.
BiCurls I was disappointed - hands messed and I was lacking energy especially since it had dragged out abit with talking to my mate. No dramas though, probably drop it next week anyway.

MJay
01-06-2008, 02:52 AM
26/12/07

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5 42kg Millies
5 42kg
5 42kg
5 42kg
3 42kg

5x5 50kg BO Rows

8 30kg Arnies
8 32kg
8 32kg

8 38.5kg Upright Rows
8 38.5kg
7 38.5kg

15 80kg Calf raises
2x15 100kg

---------------------------

30/12/07

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 60kg Bench
5 60kg
5 61kg
5 62kg
5 63kg

5 110kg Deads
5 115kg
5 120kg
5 120kg
5 122.5kg

2x8 42kg Inc. DBell Bench
8 44kg

3x8 44.5kg BO Rows

Ab work.

Notes-
Bench progressing again!

--------------------------

01/01/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 82.5kg Squat
5 87.5kg
5 90kg
4 90kg
3 90kg

3 50kg Front squat

Notes-
Bad idea. Day after a good night out and I felt absolutly fine and abit psyched even until I was stuck in the hole on 4th set and front squats were buggering with my shoulder.

-------------------------

03/01/08

Day3 Vert. Push/pull

4x5 42.5kg Millies
4 42.5kg

5x5 52.5kg BO Rows

3x8 32kg Arnies

3x8 38.5kg Upright rows

Notes-
Good day.

Had circuit training with someone at rugby the next day, was pretty good but I did throw up on 2nd circuit.
Had a safe match on the sunday aswell(today).

bjohnso
01-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Nice job with the bench!

I do face pulls instead of upright rows. IMO they are far superior to the rows.

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/facepull.html

They hit the rear and lateral deltoids very hard.

MJay
01-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanks.
I like the look of them but I don't have the equipment. I'm not a fan of upright rows at all tbh, I might go back to one arm rows.

Equipment should be here today/next few days!

MJay
01-07-2008, 02:28 AM
06/01/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

2x5 61kg Bench
3x5 63kg

5 110kg Deads
5 115kg
5 120kg
5 122.5kg
5 125kg

3x8 44kg Inc. DBell Bench

3x8 45kg BO Rows

Ab work.

Notes-
Bench increasing still! I feel like theres a clear distinction between most upperbody lifts such as bench and rows compared with squats and deads in the sense that with bench I either lift it up or I don't. And theres no real build up to your maximum lift - I feel like I'm not exerting much until I suddenly can't do it. Where as with deads, say, I really have to work hard lifting 100kg and, although it gets progressively harder, I'm really exerting myself on all of the build up to my max.
Anyways, deads looking good, still climbing.
Waaaaayyy too much jerking with BO Rows. Must fix.

MJay
01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
07/01/08

Day2 - Quad dom.

5 82.5kg Squat
5 87.5kg
5 90kg
5 90kg
5 90kg

3x8 50kg Front squat

3x8 92.5kg SLDLs

3x8 30kg Curls

Notes-
Squat form on last reps was failing. Likely due to upping the intensity by bringing the weight of all sets closer together.
Front squats pretty tough - put me on verge of hurling.
SLDLs good, starting to progress on them again as grips improved. It was though the first time my callouses have been a problem.
Curls jerked abit.

- School tomorrow and I've done hardly any work. I am, however, well rested so it shouldn't be a problem. Report was pretty sound from last term and since joining 6th form (extension of studies - after compulsory education but before uni) I've really started to enjoy school. Doing subjects your interested in and going into greater depth as well as be given alot more respect and freedom.
I do need work out what I'll be doing in the way of a program this term. I've got to find out when rugby 7's training is most importantly - apparently we're training some lunch times as well since its hockey season and some teachers don't like hockey being ignored. I'll also have rugby 15's with my club on tues and thurs nights and I might have to drop the circuit training on Weds I started last week.

- Saw 'I Am Legend' today. Alright film, not much to say. But the main character listened to Bob Marley frequently throughout and gave a short about him to another character and it made me realise how important music is. Well, to me atleast. I read in another thread, someone was saying how when they're feeling crap they sing along to a song and they can't help but feel happy. Music puts me in a good mood, inspires me, relaxes me and makes me train harder.

MJay
01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
10/01/08

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5x5 43kg Millies

5x5 55kg BO Rows

3x8 32kg Arnies

3x8 37.5kg Upright rows

Notes-
Just snuck this workout in before bed and sped through since I was too lazy to do it this morning. My lazyness does mean that I'd just had rugby training and miss out on doing work due tomorrow which I know have to do at break now. Great.
All pretty sound but was feeling alittle weak.
Millies power pressed on last 1/2 reps.
BO rows jerked a little at end.
Arnies too tough so didn't increase.
Upright rows dropped to stop the jerking but now I've realised its not strength related, its because I can't grip the bar proparly without knuckling.

bjohnso
01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Notes-
Bench increasing still! I feel like theres a clear distinction between most upperbody lifts such as bench and rows compared with squats and deads in the sense that with bench I either lift it up or I don't. And theres no real build up to your maximum lift - I feel like I'm not exerting much until I suddenly can't do it. Where as with deads, say, I really have to work hard lifting 100kg and, although it gets progressively harder, I'm really exerting myself on all of the build up to my max.
Anyways, deads looking good, still climbing.
Waaaaayyy too much jerking with BO Rows. Must fix.

I feel the same way. Nice benching!

- Saw 'I Am Legend' today. Alright film, not much to say. But the main character listened to Bob Marley frequently throughout and gave a short about him to another character and it made me realise how important music is. Well, to me atleast. I read in another thread, someone was saying how when they're feeling crap they sing along to a song and they can't help but feel happy. Music puts me in a good mood, inspires me, relaxes me and makes me train harder.

I saw it too. I didn't really like it, I thought it was lame.

MJay
01-14-2008, 03:51 PM
*NOTE*
NEW WEIGHTS.
Lifts slightly different.

14/01/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 65kg
5 65kg
5 67.5kg
5 70kg

5 117.5kg Deads
5 122.5kg
5 127.5kg
5 130kg
5 130kg

3x8 45kg DBell Bench

3x8 50kg BO Rows

Ab work.

Notes-
Bench pretty strong, I think I actually enjoyed it!
Deads felt completely different with new weights. I now have 20kg(44Lb) discs and the movement feels strange with that small bit of extra height. I really felt like I had to scrape the bar against my legs to do a clean movement and I could really feel the bar tug on my upper back.
Dbell bench last rep just got squeezed out. My Dbell lifts are unaffected since I kept my Dbells and smaller weights.
BO rows too much jerking. Again.

Loving my new kit. Powerline PPR-200 power rack and bodysolid incline/decline bench I believe with a 185kg oly set.
Its awkward getting the bench out of the rack in my room and there are some issues placing it in the middle but otherwise its sound.
My old bar was 6kg so all my lifts should go up by roughly that.

MJay
01-15-2008, 04:08 PM
15/01/08

Day1 - Quad Dom.

5 87.5kg Squat
5 92.5kg
5 95kg
5 95kg
5 95kg

3x8 55kg Front Squat

3x8 100kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg BiCurls
7 35kg

Notes-
I don't think I should have my squat sets this close together, I'm going to look at previous workouts and see how I feel about it. Form breaking on last reps.
Front squats good but a few reps didn't hit atf.
SLDLs good.
Bicurls good.

bjohnso
01-15-2008, 07:51 PM
****, you're almost tied with me on the squats. And your bench is looking better and better, keep it up.

MJay
01-16-2008, 11:20 AM
****, you're almost tied with me on the squats. And your bench is looking better and better, keep it up.

Thanks buddy.
I noticed I was creeping up on you the other day when I was reading your journal, shouldn't be long.
Today we had some assembly where we wrote down goals for the year - I guess its for people who don't bother with goals.
I just wrote: Get bench equal to grizzlys(a mate) - 100kg.

MJay
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
16/01/08

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5x5 47.7kg Millies

5x5 BW Pullups

6 32kg Arnies
8 32kg
7 34kg

3x8 42.5kg Upright rows

3x15 100kg Calf raises

Notes-
Awesome millies, I get much better grip with the oly bar and wide rack.
Love pullups again and should be getting a belt to add weight.
Arnies completely messed up. 1st set I lost my arm backwards on 7th rep from not concentrating. Then thought I'd be abit cocky and hit 34kg on 3rd set. No worries, I need these reminder now and again.
Upright rows better with new kit.

Kong
01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Makin steady progress mate.

MJay
01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Makin steady progress mate.

Thanks bro.
Just got to keep at it.
Today we had a 'mufti' day at school where you just where casual clothes, loads of people said I'm looking bigger and I had a comment on my butt looking pretty good last week!

MJay
01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
17/01/08

Day4 - Ham Dom.

5x5 110kg SLDLs

3x8 40kg GMs

3x8 40kg Split squats

8 15kg Bench dips
8 20kg
8 30kg

Notes-
First day4 in a while - must put more effort into getting it in. Should be okay to do it for next couple of weeks since no games on sunday.
SLDLs I could probably increase weight but really must concentrate on form while doing them.
GMs. Its been too long since I did these. Must sort out a standard placement for bar and general form.
Split squats I've never done before, quite liked them. Must remember to drive hips forward going up.
Bench dips good, really need to sort out full dips though, I don't feel like the extra weight makes it that much harder.

MJay
01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
20/01/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

3x5 70kg Bench
2x5 72.5kg

5 117.5kg Deads
5 122.5kg
5 130kg
2x5 132.5kg

2x45kg Dbell Bench
8 47kg

3x8 50kg BO Rows

3x12 Hanging knee raises

Notes-
Bench increasing still!
Deads felt alot smoother, much better movement.
Dbells good but barely squeezed out last rep.
BO rows had little/no jerk, alot better form than weeks before. I did however put on 20kg discs each side thinking that would make 50 and wondered for a while why I could only get 3 reps out.
Would like to do more variety of movements for abs. knee raises killed my grip, especially after the deads. My hands look pretty beautiful right now.

bjohnso
01-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Do planks for your abs.

Everything looks good in here, I'm glad to see you've hit 1pps with the bench. Deads are increasing every week too, keep it up.

MJay
01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
21/01/08

Day2 - Quad dom.

5 87.5kg Squat
5 92.5kg
2x5 95kg
5 97.5kg

3x8 57.5kg Front squat

3x8 100kg SLDLs

3x8 35kg BiCurls

Notes-
Squating really enjoyable. 3rd and 4th pushed out surprisingly well but on 5th set my last rep was pretty slow. Form held together well but I still wonder wether I should decrease starting weight a little. I also looked at a 2.5kg plate just after and thought how its only that little disc stopping me from 100!
Front squats strong, especially last set when I really concentrated on how my back went up and where I was looking.
SLDLs good, think I might be making them deads that stop just short of floor so should be looking at some form.
Bicurls strong.

MJay
01-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Do planks for your abs.

Everything looks good in here, I'm glad to see you've hit 1pps with the bench. Deads are increasing every week too, keep it up.

Thanks bud.
Shall be trying them sunday if theres no game or even weds/thurs if my weds game isnt too hard.

MJay
01-23-2008, 02:23 PM
23/01/08

Day3 - Vert push/pull

3x5 47.5kg Millies
2 50kg
4 47.5kg

5x5 BW+2.5kg Pullups

3x8 32kg Arnies

3x8 42.5kg Upright rows

3x15 Calf raises

Notes-
Really friggin stupid thinking I could up the Millies. Had a match today and was still feeling cocky enough to gun for it.
Pullups good, had to squeeze plate between legs though, need some sort of belt.
Arnies okay, was hoping to up them but it wasnt going to happen.

Seriously contemplating a weeks break right now. Should do me alot of good.
Eating has really been on form as of late and I've been recording my morning weight recently as well.

MJay
01-27-2008, 02:47 PM
27/01/08

5 120kg Dead
5 125kg
5 130kg
5 132.5kg
5 135kg - PR

5 85kg Squat
5 90kg
5 95kg
5 97.5kg
5 100kg - PR

4x5 72.5kg Bench
5 75kg - PR

8 BW Pullups
5 BW
3 BW

Notes -
Left hand unusually gave out on last 2 reps of deads and last rep had 3secs floor time.
Hit some good PRs, really happy about the 100 squat!
Pullups seemed unusually weak, felt quite drained though. I've paid the price for not doing them for so long.

Now taking a weeks break, good workout even though it dragged on abit.

killxswitch
01-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Congrats on the new PRs MJay. I have to google "kb to lbs calculator" to follow what you're doing :read: :thumbup:

MJay
01-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks.
Heres a good website: www.convert-me.com
But if you want kg to lbs, just add 10% then double it.

MJay
02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
04/02/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 72.5kg Bench
4x5 75kg

5 122.5kg Deads
5 127.5kg
5 132.5kg
2x5 137.5kg

2x8 47kg DBell Bench
7 47kg

3x8 52.5kg BO Rows

3x30secs 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench okay, last reps pretty slow and one or two bounced.
Deads got real cocky on - must stop that though because it will seriously impede my progress. Last 2sets had last reps with a couple of seconds pause. Grip was better but only because of pauses.
Dbell bench suprisingly good considering first set was tough.
Pretty happy with BO Rows but must keep form.
Enjoyed planks.

Forgot to add:
Just suffered a weeks rest.
Current spring term schedule weights has got to work around looks roughly:
Mon -
Tues - Colts training
Weds - 7s training
Thurs - 7s training, Colts training
Fri -
Sat -
Sun - often 15s match, apparently alot coming up
+ a few 7s tournaments coming up

bjohnso
02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Your making gains every time I stop in here. How much are you weighing in at?

MJay
02-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Your making gains every time I stop in here. How much are you weighing in at?

I'm weighing in every day now, currently drifting between 173-176lbs.
My dad just got me a blender so I should actually get around to sorting shakes(I've been on about it forever). My diets okay, largely maintenance at the moment. Mornings are a problem right now, feeling sick for an hour after eating. My tactic for beating this though is usually a thick slab of pb on toast and often a can of tuna with loads of mayo and a tbspoon of sunflower oil at the end of the day.

MJay
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
05/02/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 85kg Squats
5 90kg
5 95kg
2x5 100kg

3x8 57.5kg Front Squats

3x8 100kg SLDLs

3x8 35kg BiCurls

Notes-
Squats good but poor form on a few on last set.
Front squats have good form when I concentrate on a random hole on the top of my rack, makes sure my back is straight with my head up then.
SLDLs good, 1st set grip gave out cos hands were sweaty.
Bicurls okay, last rep left couple of secs.

MJay
02-10-2008, 03:32 AM
09/02/08

Day3ish

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
5 47.5kg
2 47.5kg
3 47.5kg

5x5 BW+5kg Pullups

2x8 32kg Arnies
7 32kg

2x8 BW Chins
5 BW

Notes-
Felt really weak. Potential reasons - lack of vert in last 2weeks(unlikely), bit of drink night before, early afternoon workout and hardly enough food down me.
Millies I decided to stagger like my other big lifts. Not sure if its a good idea yet but I think alot of the problem with the last reps was form - bar being lowered too far forward.
Pullups feeling alot stronger though, a new favorite of mine now.
Arnies okay, still alittle weak.
Chins thrown in since I was feeling crap and just trying other stuff to do instead of upright rows.

Short workout because of game next day as well as hoping to have a big day on monday. Rugby schedule is REALLY getting in the way, those few hours I have around it tues-thurs I usually need for schoolwork and eating.

No worries though, just gonna be concentrating on strength gains and enjoying my rugby - I've forgotten how bloody awesome 7's is! Just like standerd rugby but with 7 players and the game is 7mins a half because its so rediculusly tiring. Its good to see my fitness is pretty strong, alot of the other boys seem to be suffering. Still got alot to work on though.

Yesterday finally chucked something together in a blender! First go though, I had:
1 scoop whey
1 cup milk
1 banana
1tbsp sunflower oil
1 heaped spoon natty pb
It was okay, I need to get some smooth pb though. Also some good fats, probably chuck in 2tbsp next time.

bjohnso
02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Good weighted pullups. Should be a staple exercise for everyone.

MJay
02-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Good weighted pullups. Should be a staple exercise for everyone.

Cheers buddy. Really enjoying them now.

MJay
02-11-2008, 02:05 PM
11/02/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

4x5 75kg Bench
5 77.5kg

5 122.5kg Deads
5 127.5kg
5 132.5kg
5 137.5kg
4 140kg
1 140kg

2x8 47kg Incline DBell Bench
5 47kg

3x8 52kg BO Rows

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench steadily increasing still, last rep super slow.
Deads were pretty good, had to concentrate on form more though - get more leg drive. Last set I had 1/2sec pauses on last few and on the 5th my left hand completely gave out. I had the bar literally by my fingertips and out of desperation I rested the bar on my thighs, squating down slightly but my left hand still wouldn't hold it. I put it down for 15secs then pulled again.
Dbell bench weaker than last weeks. Felt abit blasted, too little rest and wasn't concentrating.
BO Rows okay, more effort on last part of movement needed though.
Planks really good, like them alot.

MJay
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
12/02/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 85kg ATF Squat
5 90kg
5 95kg
2 100kg
5 100kg Squat

3x8 60kg Front Squat

3x8 102.5kg SLDLs

3x8 35kg BiCurls

Notes-
Decided from now on only doing atf - I think in the last few months I've been deep anyway to make sure I hit parralel. I want to spend more time on form though, even if it slows me abit. I think it will be worthwhile, my hips don't drive forward early enough so I gm alittle.
Front squats really good. Probably my favorite excercise because I find them so tough. Last reps form failing.
SLDLs strong.
Bicurls okay.

MJay
02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
15/02/08

Day3 - Vert.

5 45kg Millies
4x5 47.5kg

5x5 BW+7.5kg Pullups

2x8 32kg Arnies
6 32kg

3x15 100kg Calf raises

3x8 15kg Decline Crunches

Notes-
Millies pretty good, but really a drop from the other week.
Pullups pretty strong.
Arnies dropped a rep again, was rushing alittle.

MJay
02-19-2008, 03:13 AM
18/02/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 75kg Bench
2x5 77.5kg
2x3 77.5kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 135kg
5 140kg
5 142.5kg

2x8 47kg DBell Incline Bench
7 47kg

3x8 52.5kg BO Rows

Notes-
I was being abit cocky planning bench. No worries, will be good next week and its still progress.
Deads, first 3sets really strong. Grip failing on last 2sets but managed to get reps within 2/3secs of each other at the least. Considering investing in straps, but I think I'd much rather train my grip and fix my form abit for now. Looking at a video of 3rd set, I need way more leg drive.
Inc. Bench okay, atleast its increased again. Its getting a pain lifting DBells into place.
BO Rows strong, good form.

Trained with mate on this day so it did drag out alot. Not sure if I like training with other people. Really you need the same/similar routine and I don't think having other people around is motivating. For me all my motivations in my head, I take compliments well but not encouragement.

MJay
02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
19/02/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 85kg ATF Squat
5 90kg
5 95kg
5 100kg
5 100kg

3x8 60kg Front Squat

3x8 105kg SLDLs

3x8 35kg BiCurls

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Great workout, haven't felt so mean in a while.
Squats now all ATF. I find my form still faultering, it seems paramount that I concentrate on driving my hips forward - it fixes form straight away and always feel my hams and butt tugging. 2nd to last set was pretty poor form wise but last site I got some agro and concentrated and it ended strong.
Front squats were good.
SLDLs pretty strong, need to analyse form on these closely particularly due to my weak leg drive on deads. I'm now tempted to swap deads with rackpulls.
Curls good, I find it strange though how these don't seem to get easier.
Planks good.

MJay
02-21-2008, 08:56 AM
21/02/08

Day3 - Vert push/pull

5 45kg Millies
3x5 47.5kg
4 50kg

5x5 BW+10kg Pullups

2x8 32kg Arnies
8 34kg

8 42.5kg Upright rows
2x8 40kg

3x12 Cross body crunches.

Notes-
Millies are hopefully progressing now after a couple of weeks of crap. 4th on last set was unbelievably slow and I tried to push press a 5th but it didn't happen.
Pullups okay, last few bit sloppy.
Arnies increased now and seemed strong.
Upright rows included this time, okay but decreased after 1st set because of crappy form.

MJay
02-25-2008, 01:35 PM
25/02/08

Day1 Horiz. push/pull

2x5 75kg Bench
3x4 77.5kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 135kg
5 140kg
2+1+1+1 145kg

7 47kg

3x8 52.5kg BO Rows

3x30sec 30kg Planks

Notes-
Bench felt pretty crap.
Deads were unusually hard to start with. Disappointed I didn't nail reps closer together on last set - think I could have. Last rep strong though.
Inclines same as last week, felt pretty strong to start with but I got impatient with how long the workout was lasting so rested too little maybe before last set.
BO rows okay, definitly getting better. Left elbow felt slightly painful afterwards though.
Planks good.

Current schedule looking like this as 7's team prepare for tournys:
Mon - 40mins 7's training
Tues - 40mins 7's training, 1.5/2hours Colts training
Weds - 1.5hours 7's training
Thurs - 1.5hours 7's training, 1.5/2hours Colts training
Fri - 40mins 7's training
Sat -
Sun - Colts match sometimes. Shouldn't have one for 2weeks yet.
Note- At the end of '7's training' we always have fitness which includes 2+ of stuff like coathangers, hill runs, long interval sprints, suicides, down&ups etc.
Also got a few matches and tournaments coming up for 7's.
Weights I'm gonna try to get day1 Sun, day2 Mon, day3 Weds, day4 Thurs. That would mean intensive days are avoided except on thurs - but day4 isn't that draining.

Just thought I'd add - high calorie shakes are amazing! I used to suffer all the time with my eating. I felt like crap eating in the morning and it was horrible thinking about throwing up alot of the time. Even worse was when going out socialising or even at school and sometimes getting that feeling.
Shakes have made a HUGE difference though. They don't taste particularly nice or anything but its great to be able to enjoy food and feel hungry.
I will be looking at recipie threads to get more ideas.

MJay
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
25/02/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 85kg ATF Squat
5 90kg
5 95kg
5 100kg
5 102.5kg

8 60kg Front Squat
2x8 62.5kg

3x8 107.5kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg Bicurls
8 37.5kg

Notes-
Awesome workout especially with 40mins of 7's + fitness and 1hr of rugby before. PRs on everything. :strong:
Squats were great. Concentrating on hips thrusting forward has made a HUGE difference. Definitly feel it in my hams and butt and motion is great. Form has improved so much and I'm really glad I slowed down abit and took more consideration on form and moved to ATF only squats.
Front squats strong. But my dad came in mid last set because music was too loud so he turned it down himself. Pretty distracting. I think I'm abit snappier to people - dad more than anything - since increase in training and work.
SLDLs okay, 2nd set I spent more time concentrating on grip than form.
Bicurls upped.

bjohnso
02-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Nice squats, as usual. I recently rediscovered that ATF squats are much more difficult than parallel squats.

MJay
02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Nice squats, as usual. I recently rediscovered that ATF squats are much more difficult than parallel squats.

They're definitly more difficult but since I've been getting more flexible and used to the movement it feels so much more natural.

killxswitch
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Assuming my math is on point, nice squats MJay.

bjohnso
02-27-2008, 04:11 PM
They're definitly more difficult but since I've been getting more flexible and used to the movement it feels so much more natural.

They sure do. They're easier on the knees too.

MJay
03-01-2008, 10:48 AM
28/02/08

Day3 - Vert push/pull

5 45kg Millies
5 47.5kg
4 47.5kg
5 47.5kg
2 50kg

5x5 BW+10kg Pullups

2x8 32kg Arnies
8 34kg

Notes-
Really brief and crap - snuck in before sleep because of longer training at colts.
Millies felt weak and definitly shouldnt have gunned to meet 50 like last week.
Pullups same but stronger - now really need belt/chain to progress.
Arnies up and strangely strong considering millies.

29/02/08

Day4 - Ham Dom.

5x5 120kg SLDLs

8 40kg GMs
8 50kg
8 60kg

3x8 BW Dips

Notes-
Brief and crap - rushed before going out.
SLDLs quite strong, need to really stop trying to 'use' my arms. I dont bend them or anything but I can feel my tris/bis sometimes tugging as though they're trying to.
GMs I really need to get back to doing. Okay reps but definitly need form work.
Dropped quad sets.
Dips strong. Managed to rest my standerd and olympic bars across safety pins in my rack so I could do dips. It was strange having one thick and one thin bar though.

Also done some flexibility and form work (tryings olys and OH squats) on Saturday.
7's tournament on sunday.

MJay
03-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Assuming my math is on point, nice squats MJay.

Thanks.

bjohnso
03-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Pullups are looking awesome. How much are you weighing in at now?

MJay
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Pullups are looking awesome. How much are you weighing in at now?

Thanks.
Weight as of this morning: 175lbs
I've been weighing myself every morning for over a month now and have the sheet up in my bedroom. I take an average mean across the week and my weight has been steadily climbing. Its not something I'm worried about atm though due to so much rugby 7's and exams coming up.
I'm pretty sure high-cal shakes are the reason for any gains.

MJay
03-03-2008, 12:29 PM
03/03/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
2x5 77.5kg
4 80kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 135kg
5 140kg
5 147.5kg

3x8 47kg DBell Bench

2x8 52.5kg BO Rows
8 55kg

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench pretty strong. I prefer that stagger atm. Reckon I could have nailed a 5th.
Deads strong. Some pretty good reps with alot more leg drive, concentrating on pushing through the heels more helps. Last set psyched up abit and went for it. Only ~2secs between last few and less than 6 before last rep. Grip definitly stronger.
BO rows okay, bit too jerky on last reps of last set.
Planks okay.

Just had tourny yesterday, we came 4/6th against some of the top schools. And some refs had said we were playing the best 7's he'd seen at the tournament, fitness seemed to hold us back. I played pretty poorly on last few games and I've decided I want to take it alot more seriously so will be spending some time working on some skills, namely handling.
I mucked up my knee but I iced it and did some flexibility and massage last night which helped.
Tomorrow - 40mins 7's (learning a defensive system) + fitness, 1hrs rugby training, squat day!

MJay
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
04/03/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 85kg Squat ATF
5 90kg
5 95kg
5 100kg
5 105kg

3x8 62.5kg Front Squat

3x8 107.5kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg Curlz
8 37.5kg

Notes-
Squats pretty solid. Last set quite poor form - loads of GMing at end.
Front squats okay. Some were tough.
SLDLs seemed pretty speedy and powerful. Must concentrate on form though - especially keeping the bar tight to my legs.
Bicurls okay.

Tourny tomorrow.

MJay
03-09-2008, 05:01 AM
09/03/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
3 80kg
4 80kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 135kg
5 142.5kg
1+1+1+1+miss 150kg

3x8 47kg DBell Incline Bench

2x8 52.5kg BO Rows
8 55kg

3x8 Hanging knee raises

Notes-
Bench was quite strong but maybe shouldnt have pushed ahead so soon. I'm sensing progression is slowing down on this.
Deads pretty good. 4th set stronger than I thought it would be. On 5th, a couple of them my grip was going and the last one I don't think I straightened up. I think from now on I will do rackpulls, apart from giving me abit of a break from full deadsand trying something new, it should allow me to bring my grip up.
Inclines fairly strong.
BO rows okay, but left elbow was feeling painful again. Unfortunatly for every injury I've ever had - with the exception of breaking my hand once - I've pretty much should just carried on with what I was doing and somehow it healed quicker. Sensibility should kick in if this get worse though.
Knee raises okay, not an excercise I'm that fond of anymore and I really didnt feel it that much. I put a towel over my pullup bar to go easy on my hands.

killxswitch
03-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Good push pull day MJay.

bjohnso
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Squatting and benching look good, deadlifting looks fantastic. I must not have been paying attention, because the last time I stopped in here I seem to remember you being at about 275. You're over 300 now. Great work!

MJay
03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Good push pull day MJay.

Thanks.
- decided to repeat day1 and 2 because it just fitted into schedule of rugby nicely.

Squatting and benching look good, deadlifting looks fantastic. I must not have been paying attention, because the last time I stopped in here I seem to remember you being at about 275. You're over 300 now. Great work!

Thats bench is a b**** to get going but I guess I am making progress.
Thanks! Actually I'm pulling 330 now!
Just worked this out:

June 17th 2007
D 70
B 62.5
S 67.5
Total: 200kg - 440lbs
March 10th 2008
D 150
B 80
S 105
Total: 335kg - 740lbs

MJay
03-10-2008, 11:02 AM
09/03/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 87.5kg Squat
5 92.5kg
5 97.5kg
5 102.5kg
5 105kg

2x8 62.5kg Front Squat
8 65kg

3x8 110kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg BiCurls
8 37.5kg

Notes-
Squats pretty strong, must concentrate on hips thrusting forwards. Last set 5th rep was GM'd but otherwise an improvement. Also need to work on ensuring drive is maintained through heels.
Front squats similarly must work on drive through heels. Back pretty tight, good reps. Must avoid bouncing from hole though. Last set tended to go deep instead of ATF.
SLDLs pretty good, grip limiting me.
Curls okay. Left elbow felt dodgy again.

- Definitly need a good break. The last one I had probably wasnt enough. I hope it will re-energise some lifts, but I've still got to plan it.
Also want to look at more routines and mixing things up. BGB has served me well and kept me interested and I'm really not sure how far I want to move away from it.

MJay
03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
12/03/08

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
3x5 47.5kg

5x5 BW+10kg Pullups

2x8 32kg Arnies
8 34kg

8 40kg Upright rows
2x8 42.5kg

3x12 Calf raises

Notes-
Millies strong, but weights dropped again. Should get them together soon.
Pullups okay, seemed weaker than last time.
Arnies good, better reps.
Upright rows strong, need to look into the RC hype.
Calf raises good, put plate under feet this time.

killxswitch
03-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Military press is looking really strong MJay.

MJay
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Military press is looking really strong MJay.

Thanks.
I really need to push progression on it though. Really need aggression to get the last numbers up as well.

MJay
03-17-2008, 03:36 PM
14/03/08

Day4 - Ham Dom.

8 100kg SLDLs
5 100kg
5 105kg
5 110kg
5 115kg

3x8 BW Full Dips

Notes-
Crap.
Spinae erectors strained and felt like crap. Did some SLDLs with excessive warmup and later on make shift belt from a towel.
Dips good.

----------------------

17/03/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
4 80kg

5 120kg Rack pulls (on knee)
5 135kg
5 145kg (above knee)
5 155kg
6 165kg

2x8 47kg Inc. DBell Bench
7 47kg

3x8 55kg BO Rows

Notes-
Okay stuff considering 3 abusive games of 7's before.
Bench slight increase. Some slow reps on there. Otherwise good.
Rack pulls where pretty awesome, really felt it on back, still feel it now. First time I've done them. Nailed 165, could have got more but no worries good effort.
3rd set on DBell bench wasn't really psyched at all, slow 7th rep.
BO rows strong and no problem in left elbow.
Dropped ab work, was dragging out. Hopefully add tomorrow but have 7's training, colts training and ton of work so day2 will probably be rushed.

Did have some thoughts on a wider strategy for my body pretty much til I die, but post up another time.

bjohnso
03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Strong stuff. 253lb SLDL, 176lb bench. You're a ****ing machine bro.

MJay
03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Okay, heres the plans I've been whizzing over in my head. They are obviously subject to change and very flexible, just some thoughts to direct me.

In the short term I really need a good 2week rest and I've been thinking of giving that AtLarge Results stuff a whirl for ~10week bulk post exams. Still have a few questions but its bigged up alot and before I heard about it I was tempted by Maximuscle Cyclone, but I think Results will be the better choice.

Long term:
I'm going to be in the Army. Which in some ways could be a problem to all the big and strong aspirations I want to fulfill.
I also have alot of goals and challenges for myself that really go against being big and strong.

So, I think the best thing to do would be to get all the endurance/cardio/extreme stuff out the way while I'm young or in my gap year and then I can spend the rest of time throwing big hunks of iron around.
For instance, I want to complete a good few marathons - including the The Marathon Des Sables (http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/). Its a 6day race covering 5.5 normal marathons in one of the hottest places in the world. 20% of it is sand dunes and there are some almost vertical obstacles as well as a big element of self-sufficiency. I also want to complete some triathlons and maybe one of those obscene decathlons as well as iron man. Amongst my goals are also some crazy stuff like trek to both poles and climb the highest mountain of every continent. Those sort of things cost LOTS of money and time and a guy I know of whos done the mountain one cost him 100,000. That stuff may seem unachievable but I've got plenty of time.

One concern I've been thinking about is what will I do on my gap year for food. I want to go to work in 3rd world countries for a while and really go off and get lost but what the hell will I do if I've got a ton of food with me and kids around me are starving. I'll probably cry handing it out.

Strong stuff. 253lb SLDL, 176lb bench. You're a ****ing machine bro.

Thanks, that bench is slowly creeping up.

MJay
03-18-2008, 05:00 PM
18/03/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 87.5kg Squat
5 92.5kg
5 97.5kg
5 102.5kg

3+5 65kg Front Squat
7+1 65kg
4+4 65kg

3x8 110kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg BiCurls
7 37.5kg

Notes-
Abusive session. Didn't have 7's due to other tournys but colts training was fitness and it was awesome! First fitness session they've really made me work hard. Unfortunatly my legs where drained for this.
Squats I was surprised to nail as much, but dropped last set - wasnt going to get it. Last rep GM'd. Strange pain in left knee throughout and right glute felt 'twisted' on each movement.
Front squats I was gonna drop after 3 but I felt like a **** when I did so went on. Legs felt empty is the best way to describe it.
SLDLs okay, grip crap at end.
Curls okay.

MJay
03-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Its now holidays. First night I had a few drinks, missed the bus and had to sleep abit rough. Next night went out but it was crap. I realised should have been doing Day3 instead of wasting my time.
So. I'm now gonna be working alot harder to get all the days in and get my diet down. I've had a good, solid 3days rest/timewasting, so I'm now gonna nail some good sessions until I feel I need a decent 1/2week rest.

22/03/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
4+1 80kg

5 125kg Rackpulls (below knee)
5 140kg
5 150kg (above knee)
5 160kg
1+1+1 165kg

3x8 47kg Inc. Dbell Bench

3x8 55kg BO Rows

3x30secs 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench suprisingly speedy, couldn't pinch last rep though. Seriously doubt I'm going to hit my 90kg goal by the end of April.
Rackpulls started out really good but my hands just weren't having any of it on the last set.
Inclines strong.
BO Rows strong, no elbow pain anymore.
Planks good.
Tryed doing fartleks after but I could feel my shake wanting to jump out of me after 5reps of 10secs on/off.

-----------------------

23/03/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 87.5kg Squats ATF
5 92.5kg
5 97.5kg
5 102.5kg
5 107.5kg - Apr goal.

3x8 65kg Front Squat

3x8 110kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg BiCurlz
8 37.5kg

Notes-
Squats were great, really must concentrate on that hip thrust. Hit my April 107.5kg goal. Last set good form, none really GMd but some had too much drive through toes.
Front squats good, winded abit after 3rd set. I swear that stupid weight pushing your shoulders down makes it harder to breath. Again, need more heel drive.
SLDLs strong, grip pretty good.
Bicurls getting easier.

killxswitch
03-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Good job on meeting your April squat goal, keep up the good work MJay.

MJay
03-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Good job on meeting your April squat goal, keep up the good work MJay.

Thanks.
Once Aprils out the way and I've seen how my bench goes, I'll set some more for two months. Always chasing more and more weight though....

MJay
03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
25/03/08

Day3 - Vertical push/pull

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
3x5 47.5kg

10 BW Pullups
8 BW
3x5 BW+5kg Chins

3x8 32kg Arnies

8 20kg One arm rows
2x8 25kg

2x12 100kg Calfraises
~12 130kg

Notes-
Must keep pushing progression on those millies. Quite strong on them today.
Tryed out most pullups, I remember when I first got a pullup bar I went from being able to do half of 1 to 16. Now I can only do 10! Think I'll be doing weighted chins from now on for more back action.
Arnies I forgot to up on 3rd set, I was wondering why it was too easy.
Probably on one arm rows instead of upright rows from now on.
Calf raises okay.

bjohnso
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Awesome squatting dude. 236.5lbs is badass.

MJay
03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
26/03/08

Day4 - Ham Dom.

5 110kg SLDLs
5 112.5kg
5 115kg
5 115kg
5 120kg

8 40kg GMs
8 50kg
8 60kg

3x8 50kg Split squats

3x8 BW Full dips

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Cant really remember what SLDLs i did, but that was pretty close. Good movements, especially concentrating on pushing the hips back.
Same for GMs, pushing hips further back has really corrected it. Starting to really like these, despite still some awkwardness.
Split squats okay. Must get a consistent position for back foot.
Dips okay.
Planks good.

Been doing Oly work in the garden occasionaly - 3times this week. Just throwing 20/30kg around atm to work on form. Start out doing overhead squats, high pulls, then snatches and then put some practise into cleans(they are really poor atm).

MJay
03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Awesome squatting dude. 236.5lbs is badass.

Its getting there!

Discovered today a guy at trainings casual stats. Hes a pretty good back with great fast feet. He naturally deads 160kg easy and squats 110kg for 12! I remember reading somewhere here: For every person working half as hard you to get where you are, theres someone working twice as hard as you to be in the same place.

bjohnso
03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Nice SLDLs man. That's a movement that I've just recently revisited - they're not easy. Glad to see you doing overhead squats too. Those are brutal.

bjohnso
03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Its getting there!

Discovered today a guy at trainings casual stats. Hes a pretty good back with great fast feet. He naturally deads 160kg easy and squats 110kg for 12! I remember reading somewhere here: For every person working half as hard you to get where you are, theres someone working twice as hard as you to be in the same place.

Bah. You'll be up there in a few months probably.

MJay
03-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Nice SLDLs man. That's a movement that I've just recently revisited - they're not easy. Glad to see you doing overhead squats too. Those are brutal.

I've started to like doing stuff like that. Whenever I have an itch to lift I just practise snatchs in the garden or stretching and other bits and pieces.

Bah. You'll be up there in a few months probably.

Easy!
Which reminds me, last term at school I did BMI and I was right in the middle of my 'ideal' weight. Just calculated the other day - I'm 1/2 pounds short of being overweight!

MJay
03-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Did fartleks/hiit yesterday. 10sec/20sec sprint/walk for 7 as a set. 3sets with 2-3mins inbetween. Really liked it.

29/03/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
5 80kg

5 125kg Rackpulls (below knee)
5 140kg
5 150kg (above knee)
5 160kg
5 170kg

7 47kg DBell Incline Bench
8 45kg
8 45kg

2x8 55kg BO Rows
8 57.5kg

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench felt SOOOO weak to start with but sorted my head out and only just nailed the 5th on last set. Incredibly slow progression, but progression none the less.
Rack pulls strong, grip held nicely this time.
Inclines felt crap. First set on 8th I was tryna force it but left DBell fell on my chest and right one on my abs. For some reason didnt hurt but I got bruised.
Rows good.
Planks good.

MJay
03-30-2008, 03:59 PM
30/03/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 90kg Squat
5 95kg
5 100kg
1+4 105kg

2x8 65kg Front squat
6+1 67.5kg

3x8 110kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg Curls
8 37.5kg

Summary: Lacking energy
Notes-
Squats felt like crap. Last set I collapsed at the bottom on the catches. Lifted it back up and went again for a crappy 4 with the last seriously GMd.
Front squats were hell. So I added more weight. Went on catches on 7th but managed to manouver under and drive. Too much drive through toes on alot.
SLDLs pretty strong, especially grip.
Curls good.

I'd done sprints and fast feet before with a mate which didn't help and eating was crap today. On the plus side, I beat my mate twice on a ~60m sprint and again for a 3rd carrying a ball. This is the guy I trained with all summer and hes always been WAAAAYYY faster than me. He argued his bum hurt from heavy deads day before but I'm not gonna take that pussy crap as an excuse.

MJay
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
01/04/08

Day3 - Vert.

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
2x5 47.5kg
5 50kg

4x5 BW+5kg Chins
5 BW Chins

8 32kg Arnies
2x8 34kg

8 25kg One arm rows
2x8 27.5kg

Notes-
Millies are hopefully increasing, 50 wasnt a huge struggle. Little too much rest though.
Chins okay.
Arnies should be 34kg all next week.
Rows okay.

Circuit training at colts afterwards.
That was 2 circuits with an intermission.
Circuit has aload of stations which include boxing, drag sprints, fast feet ladders, hurdles, face pulls, Dbell shoulders, lat raises, bag tackles, 25kg bag power clean and press, skipping and situps.
1st circuit 45secs on each station with no rest between.
Intermission was pairing up and doing 2X~20m sprints while partner does pressups, burpees, sit ups and shadow boxing.
2nd circuit 30secs on each station.
Really good now its refined but I didn't feel I worked hard enough, especially on intermission.

MJay
04-02-2008, 02:41 PM
02/04/08

Day4 - Ham Dom.

5 110kg SLDLs
5 115kg
5 115kg
5 117.5kg
5 120kg

8 50kg GMs
2x8 60kg

3x8 55kg Split squats/lunges

3x8 BW Dips

Notes-
SLDLs okay. Lats felt tight on pulling, grip good, need less bounce and to concentrate on pushing hips back when sinking.
GMs form pretty poor. It should come soon. Bar placement and flexibility abit of an issue.
Lunges okay.
Dips strong.

MJay
04-05-2008, 11:38 AM
05/04/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
4 82.5kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 140kg
1+4 150kg
3+1 152.5kg

3x8 47kg Incline DBell Bench

2x8 55kg BO Rows
8 57.5kg

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench slowly improving.
I had an urge to dead instead of rackpull. I think my lockout is the weakest part, just above the knee. Grip somewhat improved but still not strong.
Inclines strong.
BO rows abit sloppy but okay.
Planks good.

bjohnso
04-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Nice deads MJay. How long of a break was it between reps 3 and 4?

MJay
04-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Nice deads MJay. How long of a break was it between reps 3 and 4?

Cheers buddy.
Was about 5-10secs from memory, was hoping for a 5 but the 4th ended it.
Grips still my weakpoint but I can tell I'm pretty close to maxing out anyway with my pulling.

bjohnso
04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Bah! 5-10 seconds, just call it 4! That's harder than just banging out 4, IMO.

MJay
04-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Nah, doesn't count.

MJay
04-07-2008, 12:19 PM
07/04/08

Day2 - Quad dom.

5 90kg ATF Squat
5 95kg
5 100kg
5 105kg
5 110kg

8 65kg Front squats
1+7 65kg
8 65kg

3x8 112.5kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg Curls
8 37.5kg

Notes-
Happy with the 110kg squat but last rep was questionably deep and some slight GMing on last set. I remember when squating 100 was a distant dream.
Lost aload of notes and the net was crappy so couldnt remember last front squat. Did 3x8 65kg, pretty good. Felt light on shoulders but 2nd on 2nd set I collapsed on and to my amazement I spontaniously power cleaned to rerack and go again.
SLDLs strong, grip was good.
Curls okay.

MJay
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
09/04/08

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
5 47.5kg
5 50kg
5 50kg

5x5 BW+5kg Chins

3x8 34kg Arnies

3x8 BW Pullups

3x12 100kg Calf raises

Notes-
Millies strong, last rep not that hard to pinch and it feels like its climbing at last.
Chins okay, form sloppy at times.
Arnies strong.
Pullups okay. After those chins and a short break I felt like I was gonna fly, by the 4th rep this abruptly ended though.
Calf raises great, grip strong.

Great workout all in all, felt really strong. Perhaps this carb thing works. Today:
Shake
Steak, chips, mayo, mushrooms.
Sandwhich - roast chicken, mayo. + fruit smoothie
Beef stew, jacket potato, mixed veg. (~1.2hours before w/o)
Shake during w/o
Whatever I'm about to have (maybe tuna+mayo+sunfloweroil, but more likely pint milk)

Had alot of energy towards end of workout, perhaps carbs to blame. Something I'll retest. Also I'll mention that diet wise things have been pretty good, last few days have shown me how much meal timing is the difference between forcing a meal down then feeling crap for an hour and actually almost enjoying it.
As far as calories go, I'm currently working on 'atleast estimates'. I know at some point I'll have to stop being lazy and count them.

bjohnso
04-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Nice squatting man. I remember back before you hit 100 too. You're making fast progress, because that wasn't that long ago.

MJay
04-10-2008, 08:16 AM
10/04/08

Day4 - Ham Dom.

5 110kg SLDLs
5 115kg
3x5 120kg

3x8 50kg GMs

3x8 57.5kg Split squats/lunges

3x8 BW Dips

Notes-
SLDLs pretty good, grip strong. I find my lats and tris stretching towards the bottom, don't think it happens with deads though.
GMs were crap. Need to keep practising form.
Lunges were also crap. Need a consistent form. Felt sick after 2nd set so sat about for 4mins holding it down.
Dips strong.

MJay
04-13-2008, 09:27 AM
13/04/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 65kg
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
4+1 82.5kg

5 135kg Rackpulls (below knee)
5 150kg
4+1 150kg (above knee)
3+1+1 150kg

3x8 47kg Incline DBell Bench

2x8 55kg BO Rows
8 55.7kg

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Jesus-monkey-christ that bench is taking its time.
Rackpulls I was thinking 'I feel like crap, I need a weeks break'. On reflection I now realise I was being really cocky thinking I could throw around as much so easily. I do think though that a weeks break is in order and I should probably go back to just deads rather than messing around. Hands are largely to blame for that poor effort though.
DBell bench strong.
BO rows pretty good.
Planks good.

MJay
04-16-2008, 01:28 AM
14/04/08

Day2 - Quad dom.

5 92.5kg ATF Squat
5 97.5kg
5 102.5kg
5 107.5kg
5 110kg

2x8 65kg Front squats
8 67.5kg

3x8 112.5kg SLDLs

2x8 35kg Curlz
8 37.5kg

Notes-
Squats good but last two sets a little off - questionably deep and GM'd abit.
Front squats awesome.
SLDLs 2nd set grip gave out dropped and rewent. Less than okay otherwise, sticking at this weight should help out with form since Im concentrating on my grip more.
Curls good.

Thinking about taking a week off - wont do any harm. I'll see how I feel this afternoon for day3.

bjohnso
04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Everything looks good in here despite your misgivings. Even so, a week off won't hurt anything. I'm due for one in a few weeks myself.

MJay
04-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Everything looks good in here despite your misgivings. Even so, a week off won't hurt anything. I'm due for one in a few weeks myself.

Yeh, reviewing my journal I don't think its that due. But having said that a week off should only do me good.

MJay
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
16/04/08

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
5 47.5kg
5 50kg
5 50kg

5x5 BW+5kg Chins

3x8 34kg Arnies

3x8 BW Pullups

Notes-
Millies pretty good, last sets struggling alittle but nailed. Think I've completely removed any push press on the first rep.
Chins okay, form alittle off.
Arnies good.
Pullups okay.
Dropped calf raises because of my pussy hands.

Got colts training tomorrow and then last game of the season on sunday. We're competing for the plate for our county. Planning a weeks break from there. Probably do a HIIT and abit of oly stuff but that'll be about it.

Eatings going pretty well. Mornings are still a problem, only managed half a shake and decided I didnt want to risk it. Its still hard, but its getting easier.
Weight has been more consistent lately as well. Also, need to sort out water intake for school.
Today I must be pushing atleast 3500 on the very safe side but more likely over 3800. (Dam I need to stop being lazy and use fitday):
Half a shake.
Cheese+ham toastie, prawn and salad sandwhich, orange juice
Roast dinner (beef, 3roast pots and abit of veg)
Ribs, jacket pot, mixed veg
2shakes
Tuna+mayo+sunflower oil

On another note. My right nipple hurt loads yesterday so I wacked a plaster on. Theres a lump underneath both but my right one is swollen and sensitive. Seeing doc tomorrow but apparently its normal for adolescent boys. Meh.

MJay
04-27-2008, 12:42 PM
27/04/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
3+1 82.5kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 140kg
3+2 150kg
10 100kg

8 50kg

2x8 55kg BO Rows
8 57.5kg

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench dropped but nothing significant by any stretch of the imagination.
Deads I need to calm down a little. Probably 145 then 150 next time.
Inclines went up.
Rows okay.
Planks good.

MJay
04-29-2008, 11:24 AM
28/04/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 92.5kg ATF Squat
5 97.5kg
5 102.5kg
2x3 107.5kg

3x8 65kg Front squats

3x8 105kg SLDLs

3x8 35kg Curls

Notes-
Squats down a little but bloody enjoyable. Form was quite good but I need more drive on heels, sometimes it goes through toes.
Front squats okay, first set messed around abit with clean grip. Decided to leave til when I play around with oly stuff rather than force it.
SLDLs good.
Curls okay.

That weeks break well worth it. I did two short sessions of working on snatches, overhead squats, cleans etc. And did a HIIT the day before Day1. I now have 12/13 weeks before I go to New Zealand on holiday for 3 weeks so thats what I'm working towards and I'll set some goals in the next couple of weeks.
Some thoughts for this time around:
1) FORM. Last time there was way too much forcing bigger stuff. Noteably squats, deadlifts and straightleg deadlifts. For instance I was doing really crap SLDLs and concentrating on grip.
2) Don't be afraid to step out of rep ranges. I was forcing alot of reps with bad form and it won't hurt to go below whats set or above it if its in me.
3) Try new things (i.e. cleans, clean&hook grip) but keep with the basic structure of BGB.
4) Rugby seasons over so I now need to incorporate my own cardio. I'm really interested in keeping up HIIT, trying out crossfit stuff and I'll chuck in some decent 3milers.

MJay
05-01-2008, 12:01 PM
30/04/08

Day3 - Vert push/pull

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
5 47.5kg
5 50kg
3 52.5kg

5 BW+5kg Chins
4x5 BW

3x8 34kg Arnies

3x8 BW Pullups

3x12 100kg Calf raises

Notes-
Millies fun, okay stuff.
Chins abit crap to start with so went to just BW.
Arnies strong.
Pullups okay.

-------------------------

01/05/08

Day4 - Ham Dom.

5 105kg SLDLs
5 110kg
3x5 115kg

2x8 50kg GMs
8 60kg

6 60kg Split squats
2x8 50kg

3x8 BW Dips

Notes-
SLDLs okay, grip good.
GMs were awesome, really helped watching a vid of Sensei doing GMs.
Split squats crap, fixed form though.
Drips really good.

MJay
05-04-2008, 10:52 AM
04/05/08

Day1 - Horiz. push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
3+1 82.5kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 140kg
5 145kg
2 150kg

8 50kg

2x8 55kg BentOver Rows
8 57.5kg

3x30sec 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench okay, bit shoddy but I'll keep at it.
Deads really enjoyable, far more sensible load. Hand completely gave out by last set, I got a third but it definitly didn't lock out and I practically dropped it. One of my callouses has completely ripped on one side as well. I think its the ugliest my hands have been.
Inclines okay.
BO Rows okay, right shoulder felt funny on last set.
Planks good.

Goals before going to NZ:
Bench 95kg - Squat 130kg - Dead 165kg - Millies 60kg - Chins BW+10kg - F.Squat 70kg.

Some of those feel alittle ambitous, but thats what I'm striving for for the next ~12weeks.

MJay
05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
05/05/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 92.5kg ATF Squats
5 97.5kg
5 102.5kg
5 107.5kg
2 120kg

8 65kg Front squats
2x8 67.5kg

3x8 105kg SLDLs

3x8 35kg Curlzzzz

Notes
Squats felt strong, pretty good stuff. 4th set awesome, 1/2 not quite atf. 5th set I loaded 10s on each side instead of 5s so it was 120kg instead of 110kg. I immediatly thought it was really weird how what should have been a 2.5kg difference felt really heavy, 1st rep slammed into the hole but pushed out, 2nd rep controlled down but back up felt like my head was gonna explode. Lesson learnt, fun though.
Fronts squats strong. 3rd set abit sloppy.
SLDLs pretty good.
Curls okay.

Really enjoyable session, can't work out how I have the energy though since today and yesterday I was somewhat underfed(I'm staying up late right now so I can force tuna mayo and milk before sleep) AND since last night I hit a party, got 6hours sleep and went like 6/7hours without eating at one point AND did some cheeky snatch and overhead squat work this morning.

MJay
05-07-2008, 09:49 AM
07/05/08

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
5 47.5kg
5 50kg
4 52.5kg

3x5 BW Chins
2x5 BW+5kg

2x8 34kg Arnies
8 36kg

3x8 BW Pullups

3x12 100kg Calf raises

Notes-
Millies pretty good, awesome to see them going up at last.
Chins okay, dont feel very smooth though.
Arnies good.
Pullups good.
Calf raises okay, grip hurt.

MJay
05-11-2008, 03:18 PM
08/05/08

Day4 - Ham dom.

5 105kg SLDLs
5 110kg
3x5 115kg

3x8 50kg GMs

3x8 50kg Split squats

3x8 BW Dips

Notes-
All pretty average. Can't really remember, thought I'd already posted this up.
GM form is good now and I think lunges are sorted.
Need belt for dips.

bjohnso
05-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Everything looks good in here, excellent progression in everything. This is Bill Starr's routine, isn't it?

MJay
05-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Fri did oly-ish stuff.
Just snatch, overhead squats and pull throughs with a plate. Tryed a few cleans but not much better. Snatch 40kg and after a while managed do 50kg OH squats for a few.

Sat did HIIT.

11/05/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
5 82.5kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 140kg
3 145kg
1 150kg
6 100kg

8 50kg

8 55kg BO Rows
8 57.5kg
8 60kg

3x30secs 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench was pretty good. Nailed 82.5kg at last.
Deads poor. Grip crap, kept giving out. A few questionably locked out. Need to invest in chalk and straps methinks.
Inclines good.
Rows good, upped a little.
Planks good.

I should be hosting abit of a meet with a few mates during the summer with a BBQ or something. Should be fun.

Really need to knuckle down with exams that are coming up.

Also, threw up my shake this morning. Bloody annoying that. The worst thing is sitting down knowing you just hit the point-of-no-return and yet still fight it.

MJay
05-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Everything looks good in here, excellent progression in everything. This is Bill Starr's routine, isn't it?

Thanks.
Nope, this is BGB.
I think it was the first thing recommended to me and I liked the look of it. I was a little confused by the article so Built sent me a clear template and this is what that is.
Jes, its almost a year of using this.

killxswitch
05-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Doing well my kg-counting brother. I need to get some chalk myself.

bjohnso
05-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks.
Nope, this is BGB.
I think it was the first thing recommended to me and I liked the look of it. I was a little confused by the article so Built sent me a clear template and this is what that is.
Jes, its almost a year of using this.

I see. I drank a shake for the first time in several months on Thursday. Big mistake. The oats combined with all that water is like 5lbs that sits in your stomach FOREVER. I will not be doing that again.

MJay
05-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Doing well my kg-counting brother. I need to get some chalk myself.

Thanks. Good to see you back buddy.

I see. I drank a shake for the first time in several months on Thursday. Big mistake. The oats combined with all that water is like 5lbs that sits in your stomach FOREVER. I will not be doing that again.

I do notice that sometimes when I add oats. Although usually its stay down me or every so often jump out. Is water the main problem?

MJay
05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
12/05/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 92.5kg ATF Squats
5 97.5kg
5 102.5kg
5 107.5kg
5 112.5kg

8 65kg Front squats
2x8 67.5kg

3x8 105kg SLDLs

3x8 35kg Curls

Notes-
Squats fun. Pretty fluid, and better form. Gmd a little at end but my hips are noticably better at driving forward.
F. Squats better form. But must have a look at knee travel being consistent. Also, need to get used to clean grip. Thinking I could slot them in instead of lunges on day4.
SLDLs okay. Left hand annoying.
Curls easy.

MJay
05-14-2008, 01:04 PM
14/05/08

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5 40kg Millies
5 45kg
5 47.5kg
5 50kg
3 55kg

5 BW Chins
5 BW+2.5
3x5 BW+5kg

3x8 35kg Arnies

3x8 BW Pullups

3x12 100kg Calf raises

Notes-
Millies okay stuff. Shoulders clicking alot.
Chins good. Feels slightly awkward in how my elbows flare, mainly right strangely.
Arnies upped alittle.
Pullups felt pretty good, flying up alot, hit my head on the ceiling at one point.

bjohnso
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I think it's probably the water. There's like 5lbs of water in one of my shakes. I can eat 2 cups of oats no problem.

MJay
05-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I think it's probably the water. There's like 5lbs of water in one of my shakes. I can eat 2 cups of oats no problem.

Whats usually in your shakes then? and how do you eat your oats?

MJay
05-15-2008, 02:20 PM
15/05/08

Day4 - Ham dom.

5 105kg SLDLs
5 110kg
5 115kg
5 117.5kg
5 120kg

8 50kg GMs
8 60kg
8 65kg

8 40kg Front squat (clean grip)
2x8 50kg

3x8 BW+5kg Dips

Notes-
SLDLs pretty good. Grip strong, form okay - got to concentrate on pushing hips back and putting weight on heels.
GMs really good. Definitly feel them. Still form issues but now really enjoy the movement.
Front squats put in so I can learn to clean grip comfortably. All reps good, feel like its a better distribution of weight than normal but then it was lighter. Hands hurt from being stretched out.
Dips good. Definitly go heavy with these.

bjohnso
05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
SLDLs look great. I've added a lot of posterior chain strength recently doing those. I didn't realize how effective they were until I stopped doing them for a long time.

Whats usually in your shakes then? and how do you eat your oats?

In my shakes I put a cup or two of oats, a banana or two, olive oil or peanut butter, and protein powder. It takes a lot of water to get that to a drinkable consistency.

fooz
05-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Your a strong guy, keep up the solid workouts!

MJay
05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
SLDLs look great. I've added a lot of posterior chain strength recently doing those. I didn't realize how effective they were until I stopped doing them for a long time.

Thanks, they're becoming a favorite when my grip holds out.

In my shakes I put a cup or two of oats, a banana or two, olive oil or peanut butter, and protein powder. It takes a lot of water to get that to a drinkable consistency.

Yeh mines pretty similar. I put half a cup of milk in instead of water which leaves it pretty thick but drinkable. Adding oats kills it for me though, makes it bitty and really thick. I'm thinking of investing in some dextrose for pre-workout carbs - its on my stuff to buy after exams list.

Your a strong guy, keep up the solid workouts!

Thanks, I will.

bjohnso
05-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I just eat my oats the regular way now. Dextrose is probably the best supplement out there IMO. Plus, it's so cheap it's almost free.

killxswitch
05-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Good job on the posterior chain workout guy. How do you like SL deads vs. regular? I've never tried SLDL myself.

MJay
05-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Good job on the posterior chain workout guy. How do you like SL deads vs. regular? I've never tried SLDL myself.

Thanks. I like them as much as each other, but I can definitly feel my hams stretching out on SLDLs. Both great movements.

MJay
05-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Friday did HIIT - 10secs on/20off 3x7
2nd set abit slacking but best 3rd I've ever done.
I really get some funny looks and occasionaly comments about me slacking from all these random people on the footpath I follow.

Saturday messed around with oly stuff but it wasn't anything special.

18/05/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

5 65kg Bench
5 75kg
5 77.5kg
5 82.5kg
4 82.5kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 140kg
5 145kg
2 150kg

3x8 50kg Incline DBell Bench

2x8 55kg BO Rows
8 60kg

3x30secs 20kg Planks

Notes-
Bench good, gone up.
Deads good from what was done. Grip limiting, not by much though. Really helped watching a vid by Mark Ripptoe on crossfit which looked at deadlift setup, really useful.
Inclines strong, up.
BO Rows good.
Planks bit weak.

Weight this week averaged at 184lbs. Yesterday managed 4500+Cals! according to fitday. By no means something I get regularly but it should be.

I've started having a closer look at crossfit and I'm now really interested. Currently thinking I might throw a few girls in in the lead up to Rugby and perhaps at some point follow it closely.

MJay
05-19-2008, 12:36 PM
19/05/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 95kg ATF Squats
5 100kg
5 105kg
5 110kg
3 115kg

2x8 67.5kg Front squats
8 70kg

8 105kg SLDLs
2x8 107.5kg

2x8 35kg Curls
8 37.5kg

Notes-
Squats awesome, good form. Need more drive through heels though.
Front squats strong.
SLDLs good.
Curls easy.

MJay
05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Didn't really want to do 3miler or HIIT session so took the oppurtunity to try out crossfit.
Since recommending crossfit to a friend to help her prepare for the RAF I've read into it alot more and become really interested.
Did WOD but had to substitute the rowing for sumo deadlift high pulls(SDHP).

100 20kg SDHP
25 Burpees
75 20kg SDHP
50 Burpees
50 20kg SDHP
75 Burpees

Time: 38.12

Slow, but really fun.

MJay
05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
21/05/08

Day3 - Vert. push/pull

5 42.5kg Millies
5 47.5kg
5 50kg
5 52.5kg
3 55kg

5 BW Chins
2x5 BW+5kg
2x5 BW+10kg

3x8 35kg Arnies

3x8 BW Pullups

Notes-
Millies strong, bottom stuff upped.
Chins good. Used closer grip having realised how ridiculusly wide I've been going.
Arnies poor form but job done.
Pullups okay.

killxswitch
05-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Strong work MJay, millies are looking good.

bjohnso
05-23-2008, 02:22 PM
****! You're catching up to me on those pullups!

MJay
05-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Thursday bit of a rest since I needed to revise and also I still ached from the crossfit stuff - infact, my lats are aching even now.

Friday did HIIT (3x7 - 10secs on/20 off.)

Also had 3hour politics exam on friday. I've got abit of an anxiety thing going on so I had about 100calories in 5hours so I didn't get problems in the exam. This thing was constant writing and it was funny as hell sitting in this big sports hall and seeing everyone turn around or give funny looks from the rediculusly loud noises my stomach was making every 15mins.
I came out of the exam shaking but strangely with no hunger. Got a towered up fully loaded meal from KFC with mayo and coke. Then whatever I did for the rest of the day I had hunger pains.
I hit like 2700cals for the day cos I threw up my shake and tunamayo before I went to bed. I think swallowing flem is the problem. I'm like that.
And I nailed the exam btw.

Strong work MJay, millies are looking good.

Thanks, they're definitly climbing now.

****! You're catching up to me on those pullups!

Bah, your heavier than me. That last set must have been 200lbs total.

Also, noticed you've moved over to Built's beyondlowcarb. I tried to register recently and I still haven't got a reply. Its annoying because I really feel like I'm missing out on alot of information and advice since alot of members here I look up to are over there and I can see that theres alot of stuff unavailable to guests on that site.

bjohnso
05-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I hope to see you over there. I guess they try to keep non-serious people out of there, so you need confirmation. I'm sure you'll get in - it's the weekend though, it seems that sight is pretty slow Friday-Monday, just like WBB is. There is a lot of good stuff about diet on there.

MJay
05-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Did squat singles when mates were over as well that morning. Got a 130 on vid. Poor form but job done.

5 60kg
3 100kg
1 120kg
1 125kg
1 130kg

25/05/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

5 67.5kg Bench
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
5 82.5kg
2+1 85kg

5 120kg Deads
5 130kg
5 137.5kg
5 142.5kg

8 55kg BO Rows
8 57.5kg
8 60kg

Notes-
Bench okay, still climbing. I've realised as far as powerlifting rules go, my grips too wide. Meh.
Deads okay. Need to fix.
DBells felt weak but done.
BO Rows good.

Strategy to fix bloody deadlifts:
1) Drop the weight abit and the ego.
2) Look back at journal to see what I'm doing different.
3) Invest in chaulk and straps.
4) Get round to doing grip work.

Midway through BO Rows I had a powercut. Had to lift in the pitch black in silence, feeling what weights I'd put on. Bit surreal. Trying to get tunamayo and milk from the kitchen was worse though until I found a torch.

MJay
05-25-2008, 04:11 PM
25/05/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 95kg ATF Squats
5 100kg
5 105kg
5 110kg
5 115kg

8 67.5kg Front squats
2x8 70kg

3x8 60kg SLDLs (hook grip)
8 107.5kg (mixed)

8 35kg Curls
2x8 37.5kg

Notes-
Squats strong stuff. Vids have helped tremendously with form.
Front squats good, must stay tight.
SLDLs dropped to train hook grip. Really struggling to grab enough thumb.
Curls easy.

MJay
05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
26/05/08

reps of 21-15-9
100kg Sumo Deadlift
Burpees

Time 12:20

MJay
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
27/05/08

Day3 - Vert.

5 42.5kg Millies
5 47.5kg
2x5 52.5kg
3 55kg

5 BW Chins
2x5 BW+5kg
2x5 BW+10kg

3x8 35kg Arnies

3x8 BW Pullups

8 105kg Calf raises
2x12 105kg

Notes-
Millies okay, all same as last week except 3rd set upped.
Chins bit shoddy. Its alright though cos I'm heavier so its effectively a PR.
Arnies okay.
Pullups average.
Calf raises first set did overhand - man my grip sucks ass.

MJay
05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
28/05/08

Day4 - Ham dom.

5 107.5kg SLDLs
5 112.5kg
5 117.5kg
5 120kg
5 122.5kg

8 50kg GMs
8 60kg
8 65kg

3x8 50kg Front squat (clean grip)

3x8 BW+5kg Dips

Notes-
SLDLs okay, grip gave out at end.
GMs definitly improving, much more fluid.
F.Squats clean grips getting easier. Felt my hand stretch out though.
Dips suprisingly hard, pinched my right shoulder at the end so thats a pain atm.

killxswitch
05-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Solid compound lifting as usual, good stuff MJay.

MJay
06-01-2008, 10:16 AM
30/05/08

Day1 - Horiz push/pull

5 67.5kg Bench
5 77.5kg
5 80kg
5 82.5kg
3 85kg

5 125kg Deads
5 130kg
5 135kg
5 140kg
4 145kg

8 55kg BO Rows
8 57.5kg
8 60kg

Notes-
Bench okay.
Deads this 5kg each set load will be standerd now. It seems to work pretty well for me on the main 5x5 stuff - or atleast similar progressions. So I see no reason to change even if it is heavier. Really need to get my deadlift sorted.
Inclines alright.
BO Rows strong.

-----------

01/06/08

Day2 - Quad Dom.

5 97.5kg ATF Squats
5 102.5kg
5 107.5kg
5 112.5kg
5 115kg

3x8 70kg Front squats

3x8 107.5kg SLDLs

8 35kg Curls
2x8 37.5kg

Notes-
Squats pretty good. Should do some form practise in hols though.
F.Squats good. Strong heel drive, need to set the weight back abit more though.
SLDLs strong.
Curls ezy.

The next 36hours will be pretty awesome.
Got maths for 3hours tommorrow then 2.5hours of constant writing for history in the afternoon. Think I'll nap, then revise for bio, then short sleep before getting 3hours bio the next morning.
Then its a piss easy half of a term followed by a sweet 2month holiday.

bjohnso
06-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Nice SLDLs mang. I take it you are using a double-overhand grip for those?

Have fun with the 2month holiday, those days are over for me :(

killxswitch
06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm jealous of the 2 month break. If I did that they'd fire me when they realized they don't need me to run. Anyway, looking really strong on the big three. How do you do your front squats, with the bar "racked" on your hands, or with your forearms crossed one over the other?

bjohnso
06-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Did you get into BeyondLowCarb?

MJay
06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm jealous of the 2 month break. If I did that they'd fire me when they realized they don't need me to run. Anyway, looking really strong on the big three. How do you do your front squats, with the bar "racked" on your hands, or with your forearms crossed one over the other?

Forearms crossed one over the other. I'm fitting in the 'racked' grip on Ham dominant (day4) to try and get used to it - I'm pretty sure thats where I'm struggling with my cleans so thats my motivation.

Nice SLDLs mang. I take it you are using a double-overhand grip for those?

Have fun with the 2month holiday, those days are over for me

Nah, my grip is really weak, everything is mixed unless I say otherwise. I'm tryna learn hook grip aswell, but I left it out yesterday just incase I had any problems writing in my exams today.
It really makes me appreciate how awesome school is - especially 6th form. You spend most of the day learning interesting stuff from your chosen subjects and the rest just hanging out with mates and vandalising the common room. Occasionally you do exams but alot of the year is just holidays. If I was a billionaire I'd just stay in school and uni and cover everything that interested me. Although I'd probably feel weird hanging around with all those kids.

Did you get into BeyondLowCarb?

Yeh, after a few attempts with registration acting weird and spam filters being a problem.
I might move this over to BLC since really its just you and killxswitch posting in here and it also seems to have a better wealth of info and members. I'll see though.

bjohnso
06-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Why is your grip giving out when you can DL way more than you can SLDL?

And what is 6th form?

MJay
06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Why is your grip giving out when you can DL way more than you can SLDL?

I think the main thing is that SLDLs the weight is always in my hands while being pulled. Where as DLs they atleast rest on the ground, even if I pull again straight away. I can't double overhand well either as I went to mixed grip as soon as I hit my first problem with grip.

And what is 6th form?

Its basicly a 2year intermission between 'high school' and uni. It can also be done at colleges but 6th forms have a close tie to their high school. That way you are at the head of the school and have alot of responsibilitys, extra privileges and are also treated much more like adults. The name comes from the old system where you would do it after 5th form of Senior school.
Used to be a very private school thing but alot of public high schools now have them since education will soon be compulsory up to age18 instead of 16.

bjohnso
06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
I see. Why don't you deload on the SLDLs too? Is there any reason not to?

I just made the most delicious shake - 2 bananas, a few strawberries, 1.5cups of orange juice, a little cup of vanilla yogurt, and 72g of strawberry ON protein powder. I haven't finished it yet, but it feels pretty light on the stomach so far. There's almost no fat in it, that's probably why. It's got about 900Cals.

MJay
06-03-2008, 07:11 AM
I see. Why don't you deload on the SLDLs too? Is there any reason not to?

I do SLDLs twice a weak. Theres a 3x8 accessory on quad dominant day (day2) and a 5x5 on ham dominant day (day4). 3x8s I generally keep the same while 5x5 I have more emphasis on progression and just prefer to load them that way. I assume thats what you meant by deload.

I just made the most delicious shake - 2 bananas, a few strawberries, 1.5cups of orange juice, a little cup of vanilla yogurt, and 72g of strawberry ON protein powder. I haven't finished it yet, but it feels pretty light on the stomach so far. There's almost no fat in it, that's probably why. It's got about 900Cals.

Good stuff, I want to vary mine more getting bored of the same thing.