PDA

View Full Version : Post-pregnancy diet help

gonzo11
06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
My wife had our son 6 weeks ago and is ready to get back in shape. She had a C-section. She was in the gym all through the pregnancy (up until the last couple of weeks) and is athletic in general, having played college soccer. She has lost all the baby weight, plus a couple of pounds. She is 5'4", about 128 lbs. She is breastfeeding (exclusively), so I highly doubt there is much of a caloric surplus, if any. Our son eats a lot. We have not started tracking her macros yet with food. Protein intake is tough for her, as she is allergic to chicken and turkey. She can eat eggs though. She takes Juice Plus and eats quite well (I think). She eats a lot of granola, rice milk, Boca chik'n patties, nuts, WW bread, etc. She tries to eat organically and does not drink soda. We try to cook meals and usually have pork, steak, or something like spaghetti, lasagna, etc. She very rarely eats fast food, and if she does, its tuna from Subway or a market fresh ham and swiss from Arby's. I'm assuming we shouldn't put her on a cutting diet yet, as she is still breastfeeding and I don't want to effect her milk supply. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Holto
06-25-2007, 10:01 AM
My wife had our son 6 weeks ago and is ready to get back in shape. She had a C-section. She was in the gym all through the pregnancy (up until the last couple of weeks) and is athletic in general, having played college soccer. She has lost all the baby weight, plus a couple of pounds. She is 5'4", about 128 lbs. She is breastfeeding (exclusively), so I highly doubt there is much of a caloric surplus, if any. Our son eats a lot. We have not started tracking her macros yet with food. Protein intake is tough for her, as she is allergic to chicken and turkey. She can eat eggs though. She takes Juice Plus and eats quite well (I think). She eats a lot of granola, rice milk, Boca chik'n patties, nuts, WW bread, etc. She tries to eat organically and does not drink soda. We try to cook meals and usually have pork, steak, or something like spaghetti, lasagna, etc. She very rarely eats fast food, and if she does, its tuna from Subway or a market fresh ham and swiss from Arby's. I'm assuming we shouldn't put her on a cutting diet yet, as she is still breastfeeding and I don't want to effect her milk supply. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

I agree with most of that. If protein intake is tough then a protein supplement might not be a bad idea. If she drinks milk get some Dairy Oh...it includes DHA. If she is not taking fish oil she should be.

I was privy to the test results from a machine that tests DHA content of breats milk. One of the subjects tripled her count just by taking 100mg of DHA/day.