PDA

View Full Version : Help with Diet/Weightloss

sneakychaos
06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I've been a member here a few years, but haven't logged in for a looooong time. So please don't confuse my post count and join date for actually having done much research, or knowledgeable posts in the past.

On that note, my goal is to reduce my body fat percentage and lose some weight overall. I am 6'. I started about 2 weeks ago, weighed in at 208. As of Sunday, I was 197.

My main goals are overall better body tone, building some muscles but I'm in no hurry to look like a body builder, etc. I've done some reading and searching through the forums, but there is just soo much information that eventually I feel like the words are bleeding through the screen.

I've come up with the following, but just want some people who have more knowledge than myself to validate what I've come up with so far.

1. Track intake via FitDay to determine current diet and caloric intake.
2. Fat is not necessarily bad, just make sure your intake is the 'good' kind of fat.
3. Cardio is helpful but not required for weight loss. Diet is more important

So, my questions are:

1. What is good fat, and good sources? I've heard nuts and natural peanut butter. Not looking to delve into the oils thing just yet.
2. Does anyone have good suggestions for on-the-go snacks?
3. Am I missing anything?

Thanks all.

sneakychaos
06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
For the most part, my diet has consisted of the following: (the last week+, before that you don't want to know.)

Breakfast:
Egg Beaters or Hard Boiled Eggs
Special K cereal + 2% milk

Lunch:
Chicken Breast salad, with assorted veggies and Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing
1 can of Tunafish (6oz can) with light mayo on wheat bread.

Dinner:
Chicken Breasts
Tuna steak
Salmon
Sirloin Steak

I have been trying to increase my veggie intake for snacks, nibbling off a tray or small bag of carrots, etc.

sneakychaos
06-25-2007, 01:52 PM
My exercise routine is as follows: (Does anyone have suggestions, or should I stop to advance the weight loss goals faster?)

Things to note:
-Circuit-style Training (I do this same routine 3 times per week, M,W,F)
-All items listed are done 2 sets, 15 reps per set.
-I am not doing heavy weight at all.

Bench Press
Butterfly

Seated Row
Seated Pulldown

Military Press
Side Lat. Raises

Leg Extensions
Leg Press

Seated Curls
Seated Triceps Extensions

Calf Raises

Chris686
06-25-2007, 01:58 PM
1. As far as good fats, you can tell by looking at a label. If you ever look at a chocolate bar label, you'll see it's high in fat, and a lot of that fat is coming from saturated fats, and maybe even trans fats. Those are the two you want to avoid, but you can eat some saturated fat, just try to keep that a small portion of your total fat intake. Trans fats you don't want at all if possible.
As far as saturated fats, I'm pretty sure there's a particular amount you want to shoot for, but I don't know exactly how much that is. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

2. Poptarts.
No... Not really :P
Nuts and beef jerky come to mind. I can't help you a whole lot here though, since I don't usually eat on the go.

3. No, not really. I wouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to what exactly it is you're eating, but more of what your total calories and macros are, such as how much protein you're getting (I'd shoot for 170-180 grams at your weight), carbs, and fats. I generally try to get all my carbs in for breakfast.

In reality, if you're a few hundred calories short of your goal, and you have room in your diet for some cake, go for it.

ELITENUB
06-25-2007, 07:04 PM
The consensus here is that you need to lift HEAVY to trick your body into thinking you need to hold onto that muscle and get rid of fat instead. And that cardio on a diet isn't really productive.

HOWEVER, I *REALLY* dont like the idea of conditioning myself to lift something heavy 5 reps and then feel exhausted. For those of us that aren't pencil pushers in the world and are into sports etc, that just isn't going to work. I want to be conditioned as well as strong. IMO, doing moderate weights but with a lot of sets and reps will keep your muscle on you as well and help to burn fat along with HIIT / Tabata and a diet that is under your maintenance calories.

Anyone knowledgeable in this area want to chime in?

"My main goals are overall better body tone, building some muscles"

Do a search on "Muscular Endurance" as it pertains to fat loss.

Better body tone can be attained with strength exercise, high intensity exercise and a restricted calorie diet.

sneakychaos
06-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys. I'll keep poking around the forums for more info.

GroundControl
06-26-2007, 11:28 AM
T

HOWEVER, I *REALLY* dont like the idea of conditioning myself to lift something heavy 5 reps and then feel exhausted.

IDK man I've been on the 5x5 rep scheme and my endurance in BJJ has been going up, I have more strength and for longer, but thats just me.

ELITENUB
06-26-2007, 12:43 PM
IDK man I've been on the 5x5 rep scheme and my endurance in BJJ has been going up, I have more strength and for longer, but thats just me.

For my cut I'm going to do heavy lifts on squats, deads and benchs for 2 sets then the rest of the sets are going to be moderate, conditioning weighted exercises in the 12 + rep range along with HIIT and 40 or 60 mins of SS cardio a week. I'll make a post in about 1-2 months and see how well that works. Honestly though, anything with cardio weights and good diet will lean you out.