PDA

View Full Version : Buying a belt

betastas
06-26-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm looking to buy a good belt for training and ideally in competition as well. What would be an appropriate sized belt for me? I'm 5'6", 165, and intend to go up to at least 180 in the next couple months. I'm buying some things off of elitefts soon. Would large: 37-40 inches be sufficient? My full waist size around my bellybutton is 35.4 inches. The medium goes 33-36 inches.

TommyBoy
06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm looking to buy a good belt for training and ideally in competition as well. What would be an appropriate sized belt for me? I'm 5'6", 165, and intend to go up to at least 180 in the next couple months. I'm buying some things off of elitefts soon. Would large: 37-40 inches be sufficient? My full waist size around my bellybutton is 35.4 inches. The medium goes 33-36 inches.
Go with the large. If you use gear, you'll need the large, plus you never know when u might jump up a weight class. Worst case scenario, you stay the same size, and you need to add an extra hole in the belt...no big deal.

Adam
06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
:withstupi

Although I personally like the lever belt a lot.

betastas
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys. I'll go with the large. I've always just lifted with whatever belt was kicking around and just tightened it to what was needed.

jtteg_x
06-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Large. spare room when you start eating more and bulk up ;)

betastas
07-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Alright guys, I got my belt. I'm pretty pleased with it. There is only one problem. Currently, I can tighten it all the way to the second last hole on my own. With a rack and a bit of leverage, I can get it into the last hole. It's very tight. I would use this hole raw at the moment. What I want to know is if I could punch a smaller hole in it? I'm cleaning up how I eat and I anticipate losing a bit of the gut. On the other hand, I'm going to be able to work my abs and obliques much better now (just recovering from dual hernia operation) to gain some mass and size. Should the need arise(IE, I lose waist circumference), is it possible to drill or punch (I'm thinking some sort of sheet metal hole puncher) a hole in the belt?

I could go buy another belt in that case, but I'd sooner spend that money on food. I know the easy answer is to get bigger. But just in case, can it be done? FWIW, I have access to a full metal and wood shop.

Guido
07-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Go ahead and punch another hole if you need to. I second the point of just getting bigger, though. :thumbup:

RedSpikeyThing
07-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm looking at getting a belt soon. I've used one once before and it convinced me to get one. What thickness is a good size to start at? I'm thinking thin, around 10 mm.

Sidior
07-26-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm looking at getting a belt soon. I've used one once before and it convinced me to get one. What thickness is a good size to start at? I'm thinking thin, around 10 mm.

If you plan to only get 1 just go all out and buy a 13mm.

Guido
07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree. A belt will last forever so just go ahead and get the best one you can, which would be a 13mm.

RedSpikeyThing
07-27-2007, 08:47 AM
If you plan to only get 1 just go all out and buy a 13mm.

I agree. A belt will last forever so just go ahead and get the best one you can, which would be a 13mm.

sounds good to me :)

betastas
07-27-2007, 12:10 PM
EliteFTS sold me a pretty nice belt. I'd recommend checking them out. The one I bought though is too big for me (currently). However, I'm going to AWPC worlds in Chicago next week though, so I'll hopefully pick up a smaller one there from one of the vendors.

redFury
07-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I think that the inzer forever belts are fantastic... just about everyone on our powerlifting team uses them.

waynedang
07-30-2007, 08:04 AM
You can get a custom size here.
http://www.bobsbelts.com/