PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Energy at a Meet

LiftingKid
06-26-2007, 08:53 PM
I got back from my first full meet 2 days ago and I am reflecting on it. One thing I noticed was that I faded fast after squatting. Energy for bench was very low and ok for deadlift. I ate mixed nuts throughout the day along with water/Snapple and ate a full meal at noon. Sleep was up in the 7.5 to 8 hour range the night before. I consume very little caffeine. What can I do in the future to prevent a crash from happening? Any thoughts in terms of food the day of?

Guido
06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Did you eat breakfast? If so, what did you eat? I don't think you want your diet to vary too much from what you'd normally be eating. Same goes for timing of food/liquid intake. I usually bring some gatorade, nuts, fruit, and perhaps a powerbar or something like that to snack on between flights. I'll have someone pick up some luch at lunchtime, too, but nothing too big (maybe a subway sandwich or something). Eating a good breakfast is key for me. Following this plan, energy level has never been a problem for me at meets.

Stumprrp
06-27-2007, 02:12 AM
Someone might flame me for this...

I know at the meet i did, i had a large breakfast that consisted of very high calorie, crappy arse food. I had a dunkin donuts breakfast sandwich, 2 donuts, and a red bull. It jacked me right up, throughout the day i consumed protien bars and chocolate milk.

I reccomend high calorie stuff, stuff that wont make you sick though.

rmccray
06-27-2007, 08:40 AM

I know at the meet i did, i had a large breakfast that consisted of very high calorie, crappy arse food. I had a dunkin donuts breakfast sandwich, 2 donuts, and a red bull. It jacked me right up, throughout the day i consumed protien bars and chocolate milk.

now to me that is perfect the only thing you should have done different is add two more red bulls

Guido
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Well, all that stuff WOULD make me sick. I say, and most others recommend this as well, that you shouldn't eat anything you are not used to. Don't want to be feeling sick at the meet, especially not before any big lifts.

waynedang
06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
I eat nothing but trash after weigh in until about a week later.

redFury
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
At my first meet, I had a similar problem keeping my energy up.

I think the toll that doing full power (and thus all day) does on your body is much different than other 1 and 2 event competitions. How someone might keep energy up for strongman might be a good comparison though.

Stumprrp
06-27-2007, 09:50 AM
i will admit, ive never been so trashed tired in my life after my first meet, especially considering i was getting some beating from other lifters too to pump me up.

Guido
06-27-2007, 11:01 AM
How someone might keep energy up for strongman might be a good comparison though.I don't even think doing a full power meet compares to doing a strongman comp. Strongman will wear you out like nothing else will and will leave you sore and tired for a week!

TommyBoy
06-27-2007, 11:20 AM

Holy **** Stump, that's dead on! I would drink about 2 red bulls every 2 hours though.

Stumprrp
06-27-2007, 11:39 AM
haha i dont really like the taste so i had chocolate milk instead lol.

im telling you, those D and D sandwiches with a coffee or coffee milk are king, they help u through powerlifting meets, hangovers, even cancer!

TommyBoy
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Actually, one meet I competed in, I only had gatorade the entire day. I must have had about 6 litres of gatorade.

LiftingKid
06-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Did you eat breakfast? If so, what did you eat?

I had waffles, a bagel, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and milk for breakfast.

Stump has an interesting approach to meet day nutrition :)

Uncle Fester
06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
At my last meet, I ate eggs, sausage, homefries and toast after weigh-ins. I didn't eat for 24 hours, to make weight. It made me a little bloated, but that just means I don't have to move the bar as far for benching...lol.

Through the day I ate bananas, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and drank powerade. The guys in the warm up room were busting my balls, because I was actually eating between warm up sets.

TommyBoy
06-28-2007, 07:27 PM
I was actually eating between warm up sets.
Now there's a true powerlifter!

Sleepy Guy
06-29-2007, 01:01 PM
I find green and chamomile tea helps calm the nerves and give good long lasting power. Unlike most caffeine drinks.