PDA

View Full Version : An Good Example of How to Cut

BBB
06-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new here but not new to this game. I've seen a lot of posts in this forum asking how to cut, what to eat, in what proportions, etc. etc. I'm cutting right now, so I thought I'd share my diet with you so that you can see a good example of how to cut. I'm a woman, so my intake is obviously less - but this will still give you a good idea of how it works.

My Stats: 143 lbs, 18-19% bf (116-117 lbm)
Maintenance calories: 2200 cal/day
Target intakes: minimum of 143 g protein (1 gram/lb), 71 g fat (0.5 g/lb), 1760 cal/day (20% reduction in calories), 25 g fiber

Breakfast: 6 egg whites, 1/2 c + 2 tbsp oatmeal (dry measure), 2 tbsp unprocessed wheat bran (for added fiber), water, multivitamin, water.

understanding: carb and protein meal first thing in the morning, little to no fat because I try not to mix the two. Carbs in the AM replenish glycogen stores used at night.

Snack 1: 2 scoops whey and casin mix in water, 2 tbsp Udo's 3.6.9. mix, 1 oz walnuts, water.

understanding: protein and fat meal. The Udo's Oil has a 2:1:1 ratio of omega 3's, 6's, and 9's. Some people take fish oil caps - I can stand burping up fish oil. Walnuts are yummy and make me feel full.

Lunch/Pre-work out meal: 1/2 chicken breast, 1/2 large yam, 1 cup broccoli, 4 sundried tomatoes (for fiber), water.

understanding: carb and protein meal taken 1 - 1.5 hours before my work out. The starchy carbs will give me energy for my workout.

During work out: 20 grams of dextrose (bought at a healthfood store and available on-line) dissolved in water.

understanding: dextrose is just another name for blood glucose and therefore is easy for your body to use for energy during workout. Technically, I should be getting some protein during my workout as well, but my water bottle is clear and my gym won't allow anything but water.

Postworkout shake: whey, maltodextrin, dextrose, creatine, glutamine in water.

understanding: sipped immediately post work out - I try to make it last and not gulp it down as the replenishment process takes time. Muscle glycogen is low and you are in a negative nitrogen balance post work out. Cortisol also spikes. The insulin surge blunts the cortisol. This gets you back into a positive nitrogen balance to that your muscles and can start repairing themselves.

Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, 2 cups broccoli, 1/2 tbsp butter, water.

protein and and fat for dinner + fiber rich carbs

Summary: carbs are concentrated around my workout - except in the morning. As my cut progresses I may replace my AM carbs with fat and protein. Also, I should probably eat 6 times a day but eating only 5 times a day helps me feel fuller. I cook my lunches and dinners in advance.

Totals: 1755 calories, 68 grams fat, 130 grams carbs, 168 grams protein, 26 grams fiber, approximately 1 gallon of water.

A note about fiber: You need to get this! You need to have an *ahem* regular thing going on.

Hope this helps.

Guido
06-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Very nice example. You seem to know your stuff pretty well as far as what works for you. Hope you stick around here and post more. :thumbup:

pathogen
06-27-2007, 10:21 AM
fiber for the win.

btw, you have a typo in the website link in your sig. beauty is spelled wrong.

Mr. D
06-27-2007, 10:34 AM
My only comment is that 20% deficit for a woman can sometimes be too severe and cause too much LBM loss, but other than that, P+F P+C meals work for curbing hunger. (they have no other metabolic effect)

Guido
06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
fiber for the win.

btw, you have a typo in the website link in your sig. beauty is spelled wrong.I noticed that, too, fellow grammar/spelling nazi. :D

BBB
06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
fiber for the win.

btw, you have a typo in the website link in your sig. beauty is spelled wrong.

oops! Thanks :)

BBB
06-27-2007, 11:05 AM
My only comment is that 20% deficit for a woman can sometimes be too severe and cause too much LBM loss, but other than that, P+F P+C meals work for curbing hunger. (they have no other metabolic effect)

In general I agree, but I've found that this works pretty well for me. I'll start carb cycling later (pretty much the same way Built does) taking in more calories on workout days and fewer on non-workout days.

BigBossMan
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
In general I agree, but I've found that this works pretty well for me. I'll start carb cycling later (pretty much the same way Built does) taking in more calories on workout days and fewer on non-workout days.

I do that too I eat about 400cals less on the weekends....

Unholy
06-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Do you have a sister named MariAnne?

Built
06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey - you appear to be my virtual twin from your stats!

You might want to reconsider the flax oil. Read issue 1 of get built - I did a writeup in there on the whole flax oil-fish oil debate. Cole's notes version: the conversion from the omega-3 in flax (ALA) requires an enzyme (delta 6 desaturase) that doesn't work very well, particularly in women as we get older. In short, stick to fish oil.

BBB
06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Crazy, I know.

The oil I take isn't just flax - it's flax, sunflower, sesame, coconut, evening primrose, rice germ and bran, and oat germ and bran oil.

I was under the impression that the evening primrose was especially good for women....hmmmm....must go read issue one....still...I hate burping fish oil and it's so damn expensive to boot.

Can't I just east some sardines or something :p ?

Built
06-28-2007, 12:58 PM
I get my fish oil from Costco. Wild salmon oil, super cheap.

Trickle it in before food - the food kinda buries it. I don't get fish burps anymore.

Cirino83
06-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I get my fish oil from Costco. Wild salmon oil, super cheap.

Trickle it in before food - the food kinda buries it. I don't get fish burps anymore.

That's hot. :cool:

Built
06-28-2007, 01:36 PM
ROFLMFAO! And BBB, yes, you can eat sardines. But take the fish oil anyway.

BBB
06-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I was just kidding about the sardines...lol...I'll finish my Udo's then switch...

Guido
06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
That's weird. I take a lot of fish oil and I've never experienced fish burps. Get the enteric coated kind, they're supposed to prevent them.