PDA

View Full Version : Squatting 315lbs for the first time

philou123
06-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I didn't quite get down to parallel, but I was pretty happy nevertheless. It was one hell of hard squat though haha...

Q9SMsxqlb-g

Chris Rodgers
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Please, please never do that again.

Can you please take some video of you squatting a lighter weight, so I can see that this was a fluke thing and your form is usually good? Otherwise we might need to really go back and start over. That is a knee bend, not a squat and I am only saying this for your well being. I see your goal of 315x5 and you are nowhere near that right now if that's what 315x1 looks like.

Unholy
06-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Please, please never do that again.

Can you please take some video of you squatting a lighter weight, so I can see that this was a fluke thing and your form is usually good? Otherwise we might need to really go back and start over. That is a knee bend, not a squat and I am only saying this for your well being. I see your goal of 315x5 and you are nowhere near that right now if that's what 315x1 looks like.

I am with CR on this one. I used to have some pretty ****ty squat form myself, then the squat master himself showed me how to do it right. Your knees look like they are about to break inwards.

philou123
06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's really not that bad with a lighter weight, and only happens when I'm reaching the limit. I do realize though that there's work to do on my form, so I think I'm going to go back down on the weight, work on going parallel and keeping my knees straight, and then move the weight back up. I wanted to get 315 really bad so I might have rushed the steps a little...

bill
06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Way to welcome some feedback. Good luck with getting the form down.

Tofer
06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Even during the walk-out I think it was very obvious that you couldn't handle the weight. At no point were you really in control which is very dangerous. Regardless of how much weight is on the bar, you need to be hitting the same depth every time, whether we're talking a 1RM attempt or 30% of your one rep max. Good luck.

Clifford Gillmore
06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
You have pretty weak set of hips there, your knees start to cave in with a very slight knee bend. As CR said, show a video of you squatting a lighter weight that you can break paralell with, so we can have a look at your form and make some suggestions from there.

ddegroff
06-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow, I'm impressed you actually posted that. Not many people would, especiallly on here.

Follow what the others have said.

Keith
06-29-2007, 09:53 PM
That made me cringe. Glad to see you're taking the advice though. Mastering form with squats can take years. I wouldn't be in any rush to jump to that weight again for a while.

philou123
06-29-2007, 10:46 PM
I know. I didn't think it was actually that bad. I've been watching tons of squat videos, I understand now. All the while, please remember that weight lifting is one of the only sports where you don't have a coach to show you stuff... You live and learn...

ddegroff
06-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Great attitude bro, you'll pick it the more you do it.

Jinkies
06-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I really think you should start back to the basics and work on box squats to help get the feel of sitting into the squat so to say.

Granted no one here can see your form when you use lighter weight but I think it would be a good idea to work from the basics and get the form down perfect.

Al3X
07-01-2007, 08:06 AM
For your own safety, work on your form. There's a really good squat article at tnation.com I'm not sure of the url, you'll have to do a search. My internet here is slow.

Stumprrp
07-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Its actually good you are taking advice and posted that, good attitude bro.

drop it to 135, and do what jinkies said, work on box squats to "sit back" into the squat rather then down, it took me 3-4 sessions with one of my friends and he sat back great after that.

Sensei
07-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Box squats might help, but trust me, there are thousands of BFS students who manage to box squat with atrocious form...

Watch the Squat Rx videos. You don't have to do the exercises, but pay extra attention to the form tips.

GroundControl
07-01-2007, 11:05 AM
hey man your a strong dude, when you get your form down you will be back up to 315 in no time.

WBBIRL
07-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Box squats might help, but trust me, there are thousands of BFS students who manage to box squat with atrocious form...

Watch the Squat Rx videos. You don't have to do the exercises, but pay extra attention to the form tips.

Thats some great advice. Those videos (having just watched them for the first time) could be construed as the handbook to a proper squat. There are many things that I've picked up over the last 40 min of watching that I will being to employ as soon as my next squat session (which should be tommorow) that I'm sure will improve my squat in every respect. So even as someone who's box squatted over 500 pounds, there's still alot you can learn.

Personally my biggest problem is with flexibility and probably not sitting back enough into my squats. Those exercises, particularly the overhead squat, front squats and the GM Squat will help I'm sure.

Learning proper form before piling on the weight is a good thing, I've nearly seriously injured myself 2-3 times from improperly squatting so learn from my mistakes.

Guido
07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I was a little scared for you in that vid. If I'd seen someone look like that when squatting in my gym I would have run over to bear hug them before they fell over. Listen to sensei and others and really learn the correct form. It will save you injuries and you will be better and stronger for it in the long run.

-Superman-
07-02-2007, 09:14 AM
At least you tried it. I need to post my squat video on here. I do go quite a bit lower than you but I would like some tips of possible form issues. :D

Rusty
07-02-2007, 04:41 PM
My form would look like that too if I was squatting to 'Call me when you're sober'.